Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom: Checking Out the Grand Old Dame

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

RipperX checks out one of the Grand Old Dames of the MMORPG genre. Ryzom is a science fiction MMORPG that gives characters the ability to specialize in any and all skill types. The game has a ton of features including PvP, crafting, an open game world and more. Treat yourself to a great introduction to the game in Ryzom: Checking Out the Grand Old Dame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

This is one of the best mmo's ever made, some of the new releases could learn a lot from this title.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I have been playing it and have to say what this and other articles have been saying about the game is true. It has weathered well and its fun. The devs definately key on to what the community is looking for and delivers. Never a lack of content or creativity to be had.

My personal review is forthcoming, I just want to spend some more time on the mainland before I write it.

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

Ah, Ryzom...

I have a real love/hate relationship with this game. The extracting/crafting/guild warfare- Hell, almost every system in this game is complex enough to really "grab" you. Fantasticly thought out and just...Cool.

I discovered this game about a two years ago and instantly found a great sandbox (the best since UO) and was hooked... But... Damn, the population is very low, very top heavy. The economy is broken beyond repair and many of the great systems (like the guild warfare) is pretty much unused as the power guild(s) already have everything on lockdown and wont fight each other. Also, the landscape becomes quite bland and repetitive very quickly.

I think if Ryzom ever wiped the server and restarted (or started a brand new server) I would be in for the long haul. I guess I just came to the party too late. =(

I love the game, but the dynamic aspects are now stagnant .

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

Unbelieveable, when he entered the world he IMMEDIATELY ignored the quest giver JUST in front of him and went to "look for quests in this open world which may be hard to find". I mean really? Sometimes i wonder what devs have to do more in order to guide people. Everyone is complaining how mmos are so easy nowadays but when i see things like this i tend to side with the devs. If i was a dev for Ryzom, after watching this i would just give up on developing games and pack up and leave for a tropical island or something.

This also reminds me of that time when my friend quit AoC because he couldn't succeed in putting points to hiding skill and sneak past the guards... in the tutorial area. Just ridicilous.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Love how he makes the assumption that the community is "great" when that's the biggest complaint you see.

Games that are 100% elitist and tailored completley to the people that have been playing since the start of the game exclusively are pretty painful.

Anyways, the open ended skills is nice, but even ultima online limited you so it wouldn't promote the "Who has been playing the longest" junk in this.

Not to forget the CSRs  that are the SCUM of this game and make it a complete joke..

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

From his voice, I picture RipperX in a smoking jacket and pipe. He looks a little like Bruce Campbell. The comments about making a hot character did nothing to change this impression.

Watching this made me want to go back and play some more, to the 125 skill limit cap. It looks like they've done some sort of graphics update since I last played the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

The game has many good points.
    Its biggest fault was the wandering of the Ownership. several shutdowns and the doubt this generates about its future.
    Now its simply outdated and has no chance to get more than a niche audience.
    Also it shows how little details like missing the jump ability can annoy a player even it is not needet to jump in the game.
    I would like if more mmos would try to give their wildife at least that basic animal AI Ryzom has done.
    A mmo must not be a real world simulator, only enough to be a believable virtual world with basic behaviors that drive the immersion.

Good Luck Ryzom!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by lizardbones

From his voice, I picture RipperX in a smoking jacket and pipe. He looks a little like Bruce Campbell. The comments about making a hot character did nothing to change this impression.

Watching this made me want to go back and play some more, to the 125 skill limit cap. It looks like they've done some sort of graphics update since I last played the game.

Thank you for the kind words friend. I do indeed smoke a pipe, and on occasion wear leather jackets, granted it's pretty hot here in L.A. :)

Best,

Ripper X

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I played this a long time ago when it was new and while I enjoyed it alot, the trouble started pretty early in the leveling process. Mobbs had a huge chaining effect and there were cases where as mny as 200 would be clustered and chained.  It was simply impossible to get kills and as such exper. I spent around a month floundering aimlessly, not wanting to give up but the frustration took its toll. I don't know if that has changed or not.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i cant believe i played this 7 years ago

miss it sometimes..

So What Now?