Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just out of curiosity...

teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

I wonder how much Trion pays MMORPG to have Rift listed in the Free MMORPGs section on the front page.  Its a blatant lie because its not free (its not like 99% of p2p games dont have similar trial and they are rarely listed there).  Its just a dishonest way to get more people to click on the game.

Not a comment on game quality, but it is very shady and IMO makes both MMORPG and Trion look bad.

Comments

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Haven't wrote anything in a while I thought I just might now.

It clearly says: Free MMOs to Play or Download Now!

Means Rift is not free to play, but you can download it for free and check it out, instead of having to buy the disk to install it.

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I don't know but Aion is also listed there

To the 2nd poster, that makes sense.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by Stealthman06

Means Rift is not free to play, but you can download it for free and check it out, instead of having to buy the disk to install it.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

If it's also about "free to download" the list could be way longer as there are a ton more games free to dl. That box isn't worth more than just a placeholder.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Have you ever seen WoW there?  EQ1?  Vanguard?  I dont think theres currently an MMO on the market that isnt free to try.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Originally posted by teakbois

Have you ever seen WoW there?  EQ1?  Vanguard?  I dont think theres currently an MMO on the market that isnt free to try.

I agree. WoW should be there too. Actually, WoW is even more free to play at the moment than Rift is because it doesn't limit your playtime, only your level.

On the other hand, you can see pretty much everywhere that Trion are paying tons of money for commercials on many games sites, not only mmorpg.com. Add their horrible (imo only) video adverts lately, I'd say, Rift is in a very bad shape, at the moment. Or, at least, not even close to being as popular as Trion had hoped for it to be...

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98

Rift isn't in bad shape. Most likely not as many players on as there was day 1, but still a decent amount.
    How come if rift does advertising, it must be hurting? If that's the case then just think, swtor is already
    In the gutter. I see their adds in magazines and on websites. Wow has tv commercials , they may as well
    Just shut it down.
    As far as the op stating it's shady business on trion for being listed on THIS sites free to play page, would
    Like to see proof of trion Paying for this to be done.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Advertising your product does not mean your product isn't doing well. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by fivoroth

Advertising your product does not mean your product isn't doing well. 

I saw this debate pop up a few months ago and could not fathom how silly it was. For comparrison on this. When is the last time you saw a Final Fantasy 14, WAR or Aion commercial? Now how are those game doing in America/Europe?

Not sure if anyone knows, but Aion is like a religion in Korea and has some pretty awesome commercials. That "we're not in Azeroth" commercial will easily be studied by every company out there because without a doubt it was a success.

Trion figured out how to use WoW fanboi rage to spread word of their game.