Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question about the free version

AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

I've played this before and have a pretty good amount of  characters, but the new free version says you can only create two

so does that mean I can only play two of the many I've created? do I have to select the ones that I want to be unlocked for playing?

Comments

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

You need to unlock chars before you can play them.  However, I seem to have plenty of char slots (a lot more than 2) presumably earned as a result of long service.  Didn't look into the details. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Originally posted by PioneerStew

You need to unlock chars before you can play them.  However, I seem to have plenty of char slots (a lot more than 2) presumably earned as a result of long service.  Didn't look into the details. 

interesting, I've been with the game for a while so maybe I have that too.

also even if you can't take on day missions (which I'm assuming are the newspaper/police scanner ones) does that also mean you can't do them when a group member selects theirs and you're just tagging along?

• PioneerStewPioneerStew Member Posts: 874

I haven't tried.

Also some arcetypes/ powers are locked, I did not have any of these classes, so I do not know if you would need to make a purchase from cash shop before you could unlock them.

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92

I have over a year of vet rewards for CoH and when I came back for F2P I was given 2 server slots and 2 global slots. The global slots can be used on any server but are perminent once you use them. So I got to unlock 4 of my over 30 characters lol. As far as the paper/scanner missions go, I haven't tried them yet. I will check that out. The game has lost most of it's appeal to me a while ago, so doubt I will play much on the free version. I am waiting for DCUO to go F2P on the PS3. I enjoyed that game when I tried it.

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

I had only played the trial before.  When I logged in, I had 2 "unlock" tokens to use to unlock characters.  Unfortunately, the character that I had played the most was a villian mastermind, and could NOT be unlocked without a purchase.  My hero type guy was available, though he was only a basic archetype, anyway.  My f2p nephews and I may log in, but without the ability to play my "main", I doubt it will be very often [and I don't plan on buying any thing, so I will only build resentment towards the game!  I know that you can't make a profit on "free", but I expect to be able to continue to use what I have in the past.  It may not be logical, but it is often true!]

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

The game is best experienced by rolling a brand new character and doing the new content. By doing radio missions, you're doing yourself and the game a disservice since that's some of the most boring content you could possibly do.

Originally posted by OSF8759

The game is best experienced by rolling a brand new character and doing the new content. By doing radio missions, you're doing yourself and the game a disservice since that's some of the most boring content you could possibly do.

unfortunately the character limitations make that a huge pain. this game is probably where every MMO player gets the worst cases of "alt-itis". it's a pretty smart/evil business move, to make people purchase character slots lol

I have to disagree about the radio missions though. My fondest memories of the games are running through high difficulty radio missions over and over with random groups when nobody had story arc missions, or simply chose not to. And even when you weren't grouping, you could still finish the story arcs with a smaller group of friends, or own your own. Not being able to do that anymore becuase of the free version is kind of a game killer for me

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

Originally posted by Asamof
    I have to disagree about the radio missions though. My fondest memories of the games are running through high difficulty radio missions over and over with random groups when nobody had story arc missions, or simply chose not to. And even when you weren't grouping, you could still finish the story arcs with a smaller group of friends, or own your own. Not being able to do that anymore becuase of the free version is kind of a game killer for me

Everyone likes different things. That's the fun part ya.

Anyhoo, this is actually the first place I've seen anyone mention police scanner and newspaper missions being unavailable to free players, and to be honest I very much doubt that they are. You might have been mixing up the alignment system's dropped tips and morality missions with them though. Those definitely require a purchase to unlock (unless you bought Going Rogue prior to Freedom's release).

Originally posted by hehenep

Everyone likes different things. That's the fun part ya.

Anyhoo, this is actually the first place I've seen anyone mention police scanner and newspaper missions being unavailable to free players, and to be honest I very much doubt that they are. You might have been mixing up the alignment system's dropped tips and morality missions with them though. Those definitely require a purchase to unlock (unless you bought Going Rogue prior to Freedom's release).

"Free Players are restricted from certain systems within the game (alignment change, Day Jobs, Mission Architect, and so on)"

http://na.cityofheroes.com/en/about_freedom/freedom_faq.php

it's been a long while since I've last played, but by day jobs I'm assuming they mean the newspaper/policescanner/whatever missions. If anyone could correct me, that'd be cool

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221

"Free Players are restricted from certain systems within the game (alignment change, Day Jobs, Mission Architect, and so on)"

it's been a long while since I've last played, but by day jobs I'm assuming they mean the newspaper/policescanner/whatever missions. If anyone could correct me, that'd be cool

Oh that's what you meant by day jobs? For some reason I thought you were talking about some sort of daily quest or something with your comments about missions.

Day Jobs. Basically if you log out in certain areas of the game (a police office, a cemetery, a train station, ect.) you get both credit towards a badge based on how long you're logged out, and you'll also earn a shortish duration buff or charges of a temporary power when you log in. The buff or temp power is based off of which location you've logged out in.  They're nice, but not really game-changing.

So yea, there's no mission content involved with Day Jobs.

Originally posted by hehenep

Oh that's what you meant by day jobs? For some reason I thought you were talking about some sort of daily quest or something with your comments about missions.

Day Jobs. Basically if you log out in certain areas of the game (a police office, a cemetery, a train station, ect.) you get both credit towards a badge based on how long you're logged out, and you'll also earn a shortish duration buff or charges of a temporary power when you log in. The buff or temp power is based off of which location you've logged out in.  They're nice, but not really game-changing.

So yea, there's no mission content involved with Day Jobs.

OH RIGHT, I forgot about that! thanks for clearing that up!

going to start downloading this now, wooh

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Radio/newspaper missions may not be the most interesting content, but they do get you into Safeguard/Mayhem missions, with some nice temporary powers as a reward. Yes, a lot of those temps can also be bought as recipes on the market, but many free players won't have access to markets OR inventions.

• iCaptainGeekiCaptainGeek Member Posts: 14

I have been able to do radio missions on a totally-free (so far) account.  And the same character has gotten day-job debt-protection as well.  There is, of course, still a good bit of content locked (such as Mastermind, inventions, etc).

I plan on getting some Paragon Points later on to upgrade the account.  And in the meantime, CoH Freedom is still Awesome Sauce.  :)