Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Any Better a Year Later?

Comments

• Delsus1Delsus1 Member Posts: 48

This was a shortened carbon copy of the previous review, it mentioned nothing new, just some guy playing to rank 20 (which takes 1 day) then saying the whole game is rubbish, whats wrong doesnt your PC have enough RAM to copy and paste the whole previous review.

MMORPG.com, do yourselves a favor and get your reviewers to actually play the game, again this review is saying nothing has been changed since release, because they couldnt be bothered to play past rank 20, the playerbase mainly wanted endgame, seeing as most of the playerbase has multiple rank 50s, so SE are giving them that endgame or the game will have no players, everyone will just say well I'm rank 50 now and theres nothing to do, if they were adding content for the lower ranks.

Also about the UI, the reviewer fails to notice that the game is going to be released on PS3 as well as PC, therefore they need a UI that caters for both, having a UI that was focused around PC would completly lock the PS3 out mainly due to the lack of a mouse.

This is another sub-par review by MMORPG.com that covers nothing seriously it would have taken less than 2 days to get 25 and enter Toto-Rak to see somthing new.

These reviewers are getting money to play games, which alot of people I know would love, but they still cant be bothered to play more than a few hours, oh and incase the reviewer didnt notice the story picks up a bit later on, but you have to get higher than rank 20 to see, so they will never be seen on MMORPG.com, because you will have to play more than 1 day.

I do agree the game still has faults, and alot of that is the server-side UI (which to the reviewer is why it take a lil time for things to regester, if you kept up with the official forums you would know this) crafting and gathering are very mononous, boring and over complicated (see some of the recipies) but crafting is being looked at in 1.19. Combat although was overhauled in 1.18 still needs some tweaks but the algorithms used will be ajusted in 1.19.

But overall the game has come along way since launch, which everyone except MMORPG reviewers and readers fail to notice, maybe because they only get rank 20.

Because most of the focus has been on endgame  this review has failed to mention them, making a post patch review that has not even touched the changes is just really stupid.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by deadmilk

Originally posted by Kraiser

And to everyone bashing about this coming out right before 1.19 read the Editor's Note at the top and stop being blind. This was written after 1.18 came out.

Yeah.. but what's the point of writing this when 1.19 is gonna overhaul damn near everything?

And how many times have we heard that?... Its been almost a YEAR now. If they were going to do it right, there has been more than sufficient time to see that come about.  Its too bad, as I really enjoyed many of the FF games over the years.  But SE has obviously lost their way, and might be best served to stick to console games in the future.  I shudder to think what their next attempt at an MMO would be like. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

[QUOTE] My major problems with FFXIV when I last played in October, was its simple turgid, needlessly difficult, and downright stupid user interface. Unfortunately little has really changed in this aspect. [/QUOTE]

QFT

this is exactly the main killer for me. during beta i was very impressed about the graphics and the atmosphere of this game. but the UI enforced me to delete it. now i tried it again these days, but nothing has changed. this UI is made for a console, the worst way it could have been done from the point of view of a pc-player. as long as they do not fully replace this UI, i will not play it again.

such simple.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I will say that the UI is a non-issue.  Does it follow the same control conventions of other MMOs? No.  But if you've played FFXI, then you will know how to use the UI.  It is awkward at first, but once you get acquainted with it, its actually pleasant to use.  All, if not most technical problems have been addressed.  Don't get me wrong, there is still some useability quirks, but like I said, once the content is there, it will be a non-issue.

The game does still have a ways to go in terms of long term, fun, engaging content.  Its getting there, especially now that they've worked out a lot of server/client technical issues.  Each content push is grander than the previous.  The overall gameplay mechanics are usually liked.  I imagine the game will need at least another 6 months before its soaring, providing SE continues to develop the game.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

To start my post off i'll just go ahead and say "I AM, without a doubt, a FF fanboi. Always have been, always will be."

That being said.

This game sucks pretty hard.

To those complaining that the author didnt put enough time in to enjoy the game, i say- "They don't have to."

When i play a game i expect to like it, feel immersed, and be swept along into the story IMMMEDIATELY.

Since when are games about working to get to the fun parts? They aren't.

It should be fun and engaging from the start, the very start, and this game isn't. If by level 10 on my first character i dont feel like i'm having fun, it's game over. If a game can't draw me in, make me WANT to play it from the start, why should I WORK towards the fun parts? That makes zero sense.

The only thing i love about this game as is is the graphics, and that's only to a degree. Ran around that maze that is gridania? it blows. Running around Uldah's landscape? Bland as all get out. Haven't done the other starting area.

Sure, the graphics are there, but the artwork isn't. making it feel like a world has been a failed task.

Combat? nuh-uh. nothing engaging there either. even if it isn't an action packed game, it should FEEL like one. waiting 4 sec's for a single swing of an axe? not fun. "learn how to play" you say. well i know how. it still isn't fun.

that's just a couple flaws i see in this game. has it gotten better? SURE. That isn't hard to do when you start with a steaming pile of crap. There currently all over the redoing of the battle system and implementations of jobs, but i think they need to focus as well on the WORLD, making it feel like one that is alive. I know they are working on redesigns. I know there working on everything else. but until they IMPLEMENT it successfully, this game doesn't deserve carebear reviews. My two cents.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Whoa! Cursing...Namecalling and F-Bomb dropping? Really. Really?!?!? Is it that serious?

Ok, FFXIV did not work out for some, some people love it. Its a matter of taste. I think what this game needs is the definitive FFXIV community to get together and start creating some positive content about the game here. Thats a solution. 

How about some how-to's or player written reviews? That Ifrit video is pretty hot (pun intended) I have to say. Why doesn't someone step up and give their version of the FFXIV experience instead of sitting in a thread and pointing fingers.

Obviously, many of us, including myself are pretty disenchanted with the way this article was written. Then go...start a blog about FFXIV and start writing. Cap some videos, create some links, embed a video and some screenshots and combat the mediocrity with positivity.

Jus' saying,

• JaphthahJaphthah Member Posts: 4

Although this is my first post, I have been reading mmorpg.com for over two years. In the past five days I have been searching for an mmorpg that will hold my attention as a casual gamer. In those five days I have resubscribed to Rift and quit and then resubscribed to WoW and quit. I want to know if FFXIV is worth the purchase. Can someone with actual game experience give it a decent review with PROS and CONS. I am looking for a neutral review, I know the chances are slim that it will be a true neutral :P but I am sure there is a gamer out there, who plays the game presently as well, at launch, who can provide a review that doesn't come off as a blood feud retaliation.

• Yes, the review was a negative one but I'm not so sure it was just because he was "trolling" as people say. I think he was simply trying to state that the games still 'feels' very unfinished and unpolished. Games such as WoW or Rift may not look as amazing in terms of textures and whatnot, but they 'feel' much better. I don't know about anyone else, but the way a game feels is much more important to me then it's looks. If the responses are smooth, the UI intuitive or atleast a working and polished design and the world actually feels alive and worth playing in...then I'm all ears, but if it just looks amazing but is sluggish and nearly empty then I do not feel my time is worth spent there. There are waaaay to many games and mmo's out in general for me to waste my time on somthing that is "decent". If I am going to spend countless hours on a game then I want it to be worth it to me, and I feel that this game just does not have that. I am not saying it is a horrible game or that it is a great game, but instead that there are better more polished games out there so why waste my time with this one? Though everything really does come down to perspective; therefore, some people may very much enjoy this game. That is completely fine and I am glad to hear some people are having fun with it. Though I do think it is pointless to argue whether the game is good or not because no matter how many pros and cons we state or how many mean things we say to one another...in the end it's the users opinion. If you love the game, play it. If you hate the game, don't. Leave the others alone and take the review as the review is. This was one person's perspective written as a post release review of the game and should be taken as such. Whether you disagree or not with his post does not matter. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game or not.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

It;s sad really.... image

Originally posted by Japhthah

Although this is my first post, I have been reading mmorpg.com for over two years. In the past five days I have been searching for an mmorpg that will hold my attention as a casual gamer. In those five days I have resubscribed to Rift and quit and then resubscribed to WoW and quit. I want to know if FFXIV is worth the purchase. Can someone with actual game experience give it a decent review with PROS and CONS. I am looking for a neutral review, I know the chances are slim that it will be a true neutral :P but I am sure there is a gamer out there, who plays the game presently as well, at launch, who can provide a review that doesn't come off as a blood feud retaliation.

This isn't the place to ask for one. Make a new thread. Or, DO use this review, and read through all the comments being posted. If you can't make a desicision by those, then go into the ffxiv forum and look around in there, and see how the general consensus already is. Still haven't had your question answered? Make a thread then, and ask away.

To the part in red. it's a sensitive topic because we like FF games, some even love them, like me, but my opinion is there isn't much about this game to like, much less love.

I still check in on updates when they come out, but i'm not actibely playing this game anymore. have played it quite awhile. it just isn't ready. (ready=enjoyable)

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• dsp1dsp1 Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by TheFirst109

P.S. Thanks for the ifrit battle video, I'd never seen that before and that's insane o.O

yeah, the ifrit battle video is pretty nice. the reason you never seen it before though is that is was just posted today for the first time. it is not in game, yet, so there was no way it could have been in the review. it was a teaser video released today for people to see what is on the way.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Murugan

If you don't like the game which you and your editor clearly don't how about getting someone who does like it to write your articles, they will be more enjoyable to read and actually informative for a change.

MMORPG took almost a year to finally release a review on this game because it "needed time to mature" and you think they hate on the game?  Personally I feel MMORPG on the whole is biased towards the game as I have never seen them extend the same to another game on this site when it released unfinished.  The fact that despite going out of their way to try a put this game in the best light possible it still gets such bad reviews is a glowing testimate to just how bad the game really was and still is.  I have not played since launch and really have not read anything to make me tempted to dig out the disks and try it again.

Originally posted by udon

If you don't like the game which you and your editor clearly don't how about getting someone who does like it to write your articles, they will be more enjoyable to read and actually informative for a change.

MMORPG took almost a year to finally release a review on this game because it "needed time to mature" and you think they hate on the game?  Personally I feel MMORPG on the whole is biased towards the game as I have never seen them extend the same to another game on this site when it released unfinished.  The fact that despite going out of their way to try a put this game in the best light possible it still gets such bad reviews is a glowing testimate to just how bad the game really was and still is.  I have not played since launch and really have not read anything to make me tempted to dig out the disks and try it again.

image    This.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Toxia

To start my post off i'll just go ahead and say "I AM, without a doubt, a FF fanboi. Always have been, always will be."

That being said.

This game sucks pretty hard.

To those complaining that the author didnt put enough time in to enjoy the game, i say- "They don't have to."

When i play a game i expect to like it, feel immersed, and be swept along into the story IMMMEDIATELY.

Since when are games about working to get to the fun parts? They aren't.

It should be fun and engaging from the start, the very start, and this game isn't. If by level 10 on my first character i dont feel like i'm having fun, it's game over. If a game can't draw me in, make me WANT to play it from the start, why should I WORK towards the fun parts? That makes zero sense.

The only thing i love about this game as is is the graphics, and that's only to a degree. Ran around that maze that is gridania? it blows. Running around Uldah's landscape? Bland as all get out. Haven't done the other starting area.

Sure, the graphics are there, but the artwork isn't. making it feel like a world has been a failed task.

Combat? nuh-uh. nothing engaging there either. even if it isn't an action packed game, it should FEEL like one. waiting 4 sec's for a single swing of an axe? not fun. "learn how to play" you say. well i know how. it still isn't fun.

that's just a couple flaws i see in this game. has it gotten better? SURE. That isn't hard to do when you start with a steaming pile of crap. There currently all over the redoing of the battle system and implementations of jobs, but i think they need to focus as well on the WORLD, making it feel like one that is alive. I know they are working on redesigns. I know there working on everything else. but until they IMPLEMENT it successfully, this game doesn't deserve carebear reviews. My two cents.

You obviously dont follow the official news but a world overhaul has been confirmed by SE, sorry but I cant be bothered to look for the link but I'm sure you can find it if you want to, serously if you wait 4 secs for an attack you are doing it wrong, on my lancer, between my invigorate 2, speed surge 2, full thrust, ferocity 2, raging strike, twisting vice, skewer 2, leg sweep, I am always doing somthing, there is only 1 of those you cant use on MRD so yes you are doing it wrong.

I dont mind a review between patches but for the love of god if its ever going to be useful then actually mention the changes that came in the patch, the reviewer getting to 25 to atleast see Toto-Rak would have taken no time.

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

My wife and I were enjoying the game until we had to deal with SE's customer service. My wife's account was hacked shortly after release and customer service was just plain hateful and very unhelpful so we both moved on. If they wanted to ruin their reputation the CS team is definately helping. 

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283

Well 5 minutes is all it takes to reaize how terrible the game actually is. If you get frustrated with a games lousy UI and early game content, why would you want to stay on for anything later?

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by deadmilk

Originally posted by Kraiser

And to everyone bashing about this coming out right before 1.19 read the Editor's Note at the top and stop being blind. This was written after 1.18 came out.

Yeah.. but what's the point of writing this when 1.19 is gonna overhaul damn near everything?

Same thing that was said before they did their first review of the game.  Why write this now when the new patch is going to overhaul everything.  Guess what?  It didn't.  The game is still a horrible mess.  Square Enix became a victim of their own arrogance, believing they could release a game with this many flaws based solely on their name.  The first thing that should have been done to improve the game, before any patches or updates, was to fire anyone involved in creating this mess.  

If they were biased towards the game they would either have waited until we were paying subs, which will be when the devs feel it is up to scratch rather than expect the whole game to be changed after one patch and just copy and paste the previous review, you might notice that the other games websites have not reviewed the game again, because they know there is no point yet, because it is undergoing a complete overhaul.

I agree they gave it plenty of time, but they keep reviewing the same things, which is well known for anyone that checks the lodestone, what they review is not being patched, a post patch review is supposed to review the changes not the old things which have had no changes at all and dont mention the new things, which looks like the patch never existed appart from to change the version number at the top of the screen.

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

I believe in Square Enixes ability to revive this game and re-release it improved enough for wider audience to like it. Sadly, I'm afraid it's not happening anytime soon.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• dsp1dsp1 Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by StateAlchmst

This article is utter garbage. It is obvious that not only did they release this NOW even though it was written right after 1.18 was released ages ago just to troll, but that this idiot didn't play this game for shit, and even if he did, he was probably using some POS PC to do so. 75% of the garbage written here is downright BS, and the other 25% isn't worth mentioning.

Learn to fing play you moron, and next time you wanna sit on a fing article for 2 months, try rewriting it after the patch that is less than 1 week away. YOu ask most of the players that have actually PLAYED the game for the last year, and hey will tell you the game is not without it's faults, but the stuff your bitching about is the kind of thing an ignorant fucking noob would say.

TL:DR To the person that wrote this article: Go fuck yourself, you ignorant fing noob.

i'd write you one as a current player, but i am sure you wouldn't want to read mine either. i would go into details about what i dislike in the game and it wouldn't be as nice as the review is currently.

i am one of the many that has completely quit doing battle classes completely since the release of 1.18.

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

The offensive, insultive, and curse ridden PM I recieved for writing this article about sums up the sentiment "blind devotion". These are my views, taken as someone returning from launch, addressing the core issues I faced and was disatisfied with. Personally the things that put me off the game are still here. I haven't mentioned the end-game content etc, or insulted anyone for liking it, purely on an entertainment level for anyone wishing to get into it, FF14 still has too many hurdles to jump before the enjoyment comes. 

• channel84channel84 Member UncommonPosts: 585

just in today

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/09/27/square-enix-says-ffxiv-greatly-damaged-final-fantasy-brand/

If the game is in a fine state aka ready to meet public expectation...i'm sure the ceo won't describe it as a work in progress or something that need redoing whole.

While some player may enjoy it now as it is....overall consensious(from what i gather) is that it's not ready yet.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting from FF14, but it sticks true to the Final Fantasy franchise.  Some of the "problems" mentioned by people I actually like, and was expecting, since it's been that way since FF1.

Slow Combat - It's faster than most other Final Fantasy games.  I actually wish it was a little slower, like halfway between 11 and 14.  Final Fantasy has always had slow combat.  I mean the final battle in FF1 took over 10 minutes if you include all the talking.  In 14 combat is actually pretty quick, for a final fantasy game.  With a group of eight, killing monsters twice your level, you can down them in about 1 minute, maybe less.  WoW elites take longer than that.

The Menus - Again, I don't know what people expected. EVERY single FF game has had them.  Yes, it's not the best idea for PC games, however I totally expected it.

Cities Empty? - I'm not sure what server the Author is playing on, but on Selbina there's always at least 50 characters nearby at all times in the cities.  Some sitting around crafting, other's running around doing quests (I assume).  The inns always have about 5 billion people in them (exagerated of course).

Immersion - This game has it.  You just have to find it.  Fighting back the different tribes and the storyline are very immersive.  The storyline is great, if you take the time to read it.

In conclusion,  I'm not sure what everyone is expecting out of this game, but I've gotten almost everything I expected.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by sancher36

I decided to check out ff14 a few weeks back, sad thing is I only lasted a week before I uninstalled. The scenery was very well done but the actual gameplay is what hurts it the most. I found it so mind numbingly boring.

I also admit that maybe a week of play for me wasn't enough.

Should it take more than a week for a game to grab you and hook you?  As far as I'm concerned, a good game should be able to do that by the end of your first play session.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Delsus1

If they were biased towards the game they would either have waited until we were paying subs, which will be when the devs feel it is up to scratch rather than expect the whole game to be changed after one patch and just copy and paste the previous review, you might notice that the other games websites have not reviewed the game again, because they know there is no point yet, because it is undergoing a complete overhaul.

I agree they gave it plenty of time, but they keep reviewing the same things, which is well known for anyone that checks the lodestone, what they review is not being patched, a post patch review is supposed to review the changes not the old things which have had no changes at all and dont mention the new things, which looks like the patch never existed appart from to change the version number at the top of the screen.

Sorry but I don't let Square off the hook that easily.  Last I checked they are not offering refunds for the orginal purchase price of the game and they did make many millions of dollars already regradless of if they are charging a sub fee or not. 

Square released a very poor broken game with so many obvious issues there is no excuse what so ever for doing it.  It would be like your favorite fast food resturant giving thousands of people food posion because they served food they knew was bad than offering a free meal to try and make up for it.  I am sure some people would be happy with that but I wouldn't be because they still posioned me in the first place.