Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very Confused

Isn't this a single player game?  Most of my friends are going to buy this;  they say they're treating it as a single player game.  It must be really good to have its own forum here on mmorpg.com. :)

Comments

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

SWTOR is very much an MMORPG. It does have a large single player component but it also has a number of Team areas, raids and PVP sections.

If your friends are thinking it is just a single player game they have not been on the site or done any reading on it. The focus of the last few releases have been on end game content (operations) and on PVP zones like Hutball.

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

Just kidding.. Or am i?

SWTOR is NOT, i repeat, NOT a singleplayer game. Some elements, as in ALL MMO's, are singleplayer. There are plenty of multiplayer aspects and if you have seen some of the recent footage you would know that. If you consider TOR a singleplayer game then Age of Conan is as well. The difference is that TOR uses singleplayer 'walls' in order to show that story actually has an impact on the game. To be specific: If you kill someone in your story, he will not respawn, which is a feature many have desired for a loooooong time.

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Sineath

Isn't this a single player game?  Most of my friends are going to buy this;  they say they're treating it as a single player game.  It must be really good to have its own forum here on mmorpg.com. :)

It's not a single player game and there's nothing stopping anyone from grouping up for the class storylines.

If your friends are happy soloing their way through an MMO, that's their choice. But it is a choice.

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

Yes it is.

However this is the best single player game ever made, and the AI is so realistic that:

• It will sometimes attempt to group you,

• It will play even when you are not playing the game (some complain that the AI might get an advantage, but they don't want to pull this feature off apparently)

• It will display a broad range of behaviour on the various in-game communication channels (trolling, insults, debate, elitism, jokes), apparently they have a nearly infinite number of lines and personalities ready for launch (people say that they should not have spent so much time and money on this feature)

Also, I have heard that Bioware are considering adding a multiplayer mode to the game (not too sure how many players yet). Don't tell this to your friends, or they might not play the game at all! Mind you it's not as if the AI would care...

• SineathSineath Member Posts: 224

I haven't researched this game but I really liked Star Wars Galaxies.  You can really tell if a game is geared towards a community verses geared towards single play by looking at how significant crafting plays and effects the economy.  I'm guessing crafted items will be the best items in the game?

P.S.  It already sounds great.  I'm all about content and story lines.  I guess I'll be able to change faction based on my choices of storyline going dark or light?

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I haven't researched this game but I really liked Star Wars Galaxies.  You can really tell if a game is geared towards a community verses geared towards single play by looking at how significant crafting plays and effects the economy.  I'm guessing crafted items will be the best items in the game?

P.S.  It already sounds great.  I'm all about content and story lines.  I guess I'll be able to change faction based on my choices of storyline going dark or light?

*sarcasm sense is tingling*

Rethorical questions are rethorical.

Let's get the hell out of this thread, guys.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

bioware has said this game is Knights of the Old Republic 3,4,5,6...168.

You decide. 

• sexypanda198sexypanda198 Member Posts: 151

i smell troll . though i give credit for being unique instead the new christmas launch excuse

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by DarkPony

*sarcasm sense is tingling*

Rethorical questions are rethorical.

Let's get the hell out of this thread, guys.

You're the smartest pony I've ever known.

Exit.....stage left.

<========================

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

SWTOR? It's just a single player game with VERY strong co-op play components dude! They even have special maps for you and your pals to run called flashpoints. They have a new bot AI for these arena fights too in these these battleground like thingies. Some of em will not run to the corner and hide either man. They actually try to pew-pew... But to keep stuff fair they run off and do their own thing during the brawl sometimes so if you bring your pals don't be expectin any healin.

((I know. I know. But read the OP man I just couldn't resist. I'm sorry, K!))

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Originally posted by just1opinion 

Exit.....stage left.

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

Obvious troll who has never played the game is an obvious troll who has never played the game.

This is, in every respect, an MMORPG.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Naqaj

Exit.....stage left.

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

I'm right behind ya.

I think the trolls are the ones that read the first few sentences of a thread then skip every post so they can insult people and feel good about themselves.  How bout skipping what's already been answered and tell me about crafting and faction changes based on storyline?  So many trolls trolling here and calling people trolls.  Too funny.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

i dont think he is trolling, there are tons of people like this one, he is "stupid" in easy words along with all his friends who tell him that swtor is singleplayer, Sad but true.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Exit.....stage left.

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

I'm right behind ya.

What the **** are you?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola1

Exit.....stage left.

GET TO THE CHOPPA!

I'm right behind ya.

What the **** are you?

ROFLMAO!!!

O M G......can't.......stop........laughing

Sorry, I imagined an orc saying that.  I've been warped and twisted for a while now......

I can see there's no chance to get any meaningful information about this game on this forum.  Keep enjoying yourselves.  :(

I can see there's no chance to get any meaningful information about this game on this forum.  Keep enjoying yourselves.  :(

People answered your questions.  Unfortunately no one felt they were sincere, but....the answers are in the thread. Don't pretend that you can't get any info on this game on these forums.  There are more threads on it than almost any other game.  Go to the forum for the game and read them.  It's all there.

You posted this in the SWTOR forum, but here's the link.  Lots of information there.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/893/General-Discussion.html

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I think the trolls are the ones that read the first few sentences of a thread then skip every post so they can insult people and feel good about themselves.  How bout skipping what's already been answered and tell me about crafting and faction changes based on storyline?  So many trolls trolling here and calling people trolls.  Too funny.

To help you help yourself.... Look at the stickied threads here in forum. Click on the one titled "Full Feature List" and start reading.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

If you're really not trolling and being serious then the answer is it's a story driven MMORPG where each char has a story with 200 hours of voice over content. This is why some might be approaching it in a similar manner to other Bioware games such as ME and KOTOR since it has many things in common.

There is alot of trolling of this game so you're gonna have to forgive the replies, even now I'm not certain if you're being serious!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Well a single player mmo isn't a bad concept at all anyway. I mean those are just games, if people want to play alone most of the time but yet keep some contact with others for few activities like raiding or pvp, i mean why not? That's what we probably most do anyway when playing mmos.

I think people get some complex to look at reality because you know those are massively multiplayer games, so they absolutely need to force people to play in groups blabla, but we all know this just can't handle a bit of fact. If people like to play alone, that's what they will do.

I personally would prefer a game design that accept and embrace this as a fact, rather than having a false claim, as we are a game that force you to play together, but in the other hand, we make it so easy that even a solo guy can beat the multiplayer content.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Not a good bit of bait there. Locking the thread, but if you did hav  genuine question, it has been answered.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.