Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why you should ignore the haters and try Darkfall.

2»

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by kakasaki

Agreed. Aside from a very rocky start, Adventurine has delivered what they promised to deliver (FFA PvP experience). The game may never have "mass" appeal but as a niche game, it has done well for itself.

This is something I must entirely disagree with. Aventurine set out to deliver a Sandbox FFA PvP experience, with meaningful consequences and depth. The reality turned out to be otherwise, the Sandbox aspect turned out to be almost non-existant given the many limitations and restrictions. Pre-made House and Clan City locations and placement. Little to no economy because of oversight in the mechanic, loot tables and lack lf skill cap/specializations. Complete lack of consequences caused by a poorly designed alignement system (made worse since Chaos Churches that has killed PvP for anyone wishing to be blue) and a poor design of Racial Alliance/Enemies that allows any players to be a traitor to their race with no consequences. Lack of tools for players to really create their own content, instead Fun Hulks and Fun Flags were introduced (Bumper Cars basically) and Slot Machines.

In the PvP department, although DarkFall does offer a superior PvP experience than most other games, the major imbalance caused by the lack of skill cap or specialization has killed it for many. New Players have little chance to compete against Veterans and should they even manage to get the upper hand, Veterans have all the necessary abilities to run away with bunnyhopping at high speed, thus saving their asses.

Darkfall has alienated it's very own niche since Launch with promises that were quickly removed in BETA, early Launch or were simply never introduced. Is it a bad game? Not necessarily, but to say that they delivered what they promised is wrong.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

Originally posted by TigerDriver

Originally posted by psyknx

Originally posted by Mardukk

I prefer a sandbox/themepark hybrid with immersive and open worlds.  However, I have no fascination with PvP.  Why do most attribute full loot PvP with sandbox...I don't understand.

I also don't understand why you would play a game in which the difference between grinding months and just starting the game is minimal?  Why even play an MMO if you have no desire to build your character.  Maybe it's a PvP thing...not sure.  You should have to build your character to compete on the higher levels of PvP, in my opinion.  An extra hit a two doesn't seem like enough incentive to build a charater for month after month.  Maybe some current Darkfall players can answer these questions.

Its FAR from minimal. You have no chance against a maxed character with your newly created toon. (Unless hes really bad of course)

Gear on the other hand is easy to get and gives only a slight advantage.

As to full loot, Im more pissed when I die and lose 10 HP potions on the new Age of Conan hardcore server than when I die on Darkfall and lose everything.

Just stop'd by to underline that. DF is easily more grind heavy then any MMO out there and I would put it up with any korean grinder out now. To put it in perspective, 1v1 or you and your buddy 2v1 have no chance at all versus a 375 hp vet the first 2 months unless you put in 15+ hours a week every week.

this kinda depends..

There are vets running around with newbie chars. and destroying other vets..

i think its all about the feeling with your char.

You can have a decent char in 3/4 weeks.. archery/melee.

When playing a mage in darkfall.. its more like endgame

For destroyer and mage killer. if you go destroyer. you need atleast 100 quickness /self buffed or not

Still there alot of vets  ingame they complete suck in pvp. which is fine.. just wanne state out an point that its the player who controls his char.

2.0 might be intresting. and i hope they don't fck it up.

Most problem right now with darkfall is.

1:that there is less population in it

2: decent gui

3: promises of  AV which never hatched ( talking here about shitloads of simple things)

4: newbie friendly info/ ingame video tut/ directions ingame.

most of the players are not resubbing right till 2.0. i think this 2.0 must succeed else they will have a dead game,

The game is great.. Its the compnay that runs it.

They should sell there project with a company with some brains.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by trashburnin

Originally posted by Sizzz

Anymore reasons?, is there something more to combat than dodging and aiming, such as formations, timing, terrain?

Terrain is very important in Darkfall, it is one of the few things that can allow to few to stand against the many.  Formations can be important considering that to heal someone you need to have direct LOS and they need to be within relatively close rage but there aren't any special benefits to formations besides the obvious.  Timing is pretty important for sieges.

There is a free trial now so no risk to try the game out for yourself and see if you like it.  For a lot of people, they say it is like playing their first mmorpg all over again.  Even if you don't like pvp, its worth it just to explore the beautiful world for a while.

I don't understand why anyone would say that people shouldn't even try the game.  Yes, of course the game isn't meant for everyone and might not have everything that everyone wants  but when some people are claiming that others shouldn't even try the game, it seems more like retaliation from a disgruntled player than anything that should be taken seriously.  That, to me at least, is a hater.

Maybe they're trying to give a player like myself a heads up that DF might not be their game?

Plain truth, I suck at PVP, and normally only win when I make sure the odds are stacked in my favor.  Doesn't mean I won't PVP, did it some in EVE, DAOC etc, but usually on my own terms, I never had it inflicted on me when I wasn't willing to partake.  (I normally only PVP when defending an objective, such as my guild's keep/territory, otherwise I let others alone)

Also, the Full Loot aspect is a real turn off, yeah, EVE had full loot, but it was very easy to control my risk in EVE so when I died and lost my ship it didn't really hurt. (much) :)

Now I agree, if someone really loves PVP they'd be foolish to not give DF a try, I've been tempted myself on occasion but just don't think I have the nerve.

It isn't the PVE grind btw that scares me off, I like PVE grinding, it's just being interrupted on a regular basis that I would find pretty annoying.

Well from someone else who sucks at pvp,especially the twitch based pvp, im finding the games pve is more than enough fun to make up for the fact that if i see a redname im probably going to be dead before i can react.

In the past you could expect to be ganked quite regularly, especially if you kept going back the the same spot over and over again.  The remedy for this was to bank more often.  Its not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago when the game was packed, and most of the time when i do get ganked, only my consumables are taken and a conversation with the ganker is started.  Its basically not like youve heard.

The pve in the game is actually phenominal, when compared to other games like darkfall its in another world good, as mobs are not just lame resource nodes.

Its a sandbox though, so if your lacking the imagination and self setting goals to make your own content, the game will then be nothing but grind ( linear questlines might be what your looking for)

Its a game that does take some getting use to when coming from themeparks.  However the old wives tales about darkfall being a non stop gankfest are just no where close to true, and if you use your head (like not farming for 3 hours with no breaks) when the pvp does come, youll lose nothing worth complaining about.

The pvp gets painful when you start rolling in rare gear and losing, which a noob or someone who dislikes pvp wont do.  Plenty of crafting and resourcing (through mobs and nodes) to keep a pve fan more than happy however. 

Sad thing is most people who would love the pve side of darkfall wont touch it due to FFA/Full Loot PVP.

Honestly i think there is more PVE int his game than PVP, which is why so many people are mad as hell. 

If you are interested, dont be afraid to do the trial, ask for help, and ask for a clan right off the bat.  Been seeing a whole lot more new players, and clans seem to be snatching them up before their 1hr noob protection wears off.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by strangerdang

Originally posted by Kyleran

Anymore reasons?, is there something more to combat than dodging and aiming, such as formations, timing, terrain?

Terrain is very important in Darkfall, it is one of the few things that can allow to few to stand against the many.  Formations can be important considering that to heal someone you need to have direct LOS and they need to be within relatively close rage but there aren't any special benefits to formations besides the obvious.  Timing is pretty important for sieges.

There is a free trial now so no risk to try the game out for yourself and see if you like it.  For a lot of people, they say it is like playing their first mmorpg all over again.  Even if you don't like pvp, its worth it just to explore the beautiful world for a while.

I don't understand why anyone would say that people shouldn't even try the game.  Yes, of course the game isn't meant for everyone and might not have everything that everyone wants  but when some people are claiming that others shouldn't even try the game, it seems more like retaliation from a disgruntled player than anything that should be taken seriously.  That, to me at least, is a hater.

Maybe they're trying to give a player like myself a heads up that DF might not be their game?

Plain truth, I suck at PVP, and normally only win when I make sure the odds are stacked in my favor.  Doesn't mean I won't PVP, did it some in EVE, DAOC etc, but usually on my own terms, I never had it inflicted on me when I wasn't willing to partake.  (I normally only PVP when defending an objective, such as my guild's keep/territory, otherwise I let others alone)

Also, the Full Loot aspect is a real turn off, yeah, EVE had full loot, but it was very easy to control my risk in EVE so when I died and lost my ship it didn't really hurt. (much) :)

Now I agree, if someone really loves PVP they'd be foolish to not give DF a try, I've been tempted myself on occasion but just don't think I have the nerve.

It isn't the PVE grind btw that scares me off, I like PVE grinding, it's just being interrupted on a regular basis that I would find pretty annoying.

Well from someone else who sucks at pvp,especially the twitch based pvp, im finding the games pve is more than enough fun to make up for the fact that if i see a redname im probably going to be dead before i can react.

In the past you could expect to be ganked quite regularly, especially if you kept going back the the same spot over and over again.  The remedy for this was to bank more often.  Its not nearly as bad as it was a few years ago when the game was packed, and most of the time when i do get ganked, only my consumables are taken and a conversation with the ganker is started.  Its basically not like youve heard.

The pve in the game is actually phenominal, when compared to other games like darkfall its in another world good, as mobs are not just lame resource nodes.

Its a sandbox though, so if your lacking the imagination and self setting goals to make your own content, the game will then be nothing but grind ( linear questlines might be what your looking for)

Its a game that does take some getting use to when coming from themeparks.  However the old wives tales about darkfall being a non stop gankfest are just no where close to true, and if you use your head (like not farming for 3 hours with no breaks) when the pvp does come, youll lose nothing worth complaining about.

The pvp gets painful when you start rolling in rare gear and losing, which a noob or someone who dislikes pvp wont do.  Plenty of crafting and resourcing (through mobs and nodes) to keep a pve fan more than happy however. 

Sad thing is most people who would love the pve side of darkfall wont touch it due to FFA/Full Loot PVP.

Honestly i think there is more PVE int his game than PVP, which is why so many people are mad as hell. 

If you are interested, dont be afraid to do the trial, ask for help, and ask for a clan right off the bat.  Been seeing a whole lot more new players, and clans seem to be snatching them up before their 1hr noob protection wears off.

Well many like to be hand fed dont they these days eh... :D

I found DF to be fine game to be honest, its not always easy by a long shot - I remember getting rather mad at one point from repetitive ganking from corpse recovery hehe, but heck it makes you think before you waltz off into the night with no care in the world for sure...

Im probably going to resub my first account shame If i want to change race due to one toon slot means deletion though.. then again cant really go wrong with the elfy female though.... anyhow for those with more patience etc just have fun and try to see the greater good in the game, and it dont look that bad either does it really?

It is certainly different though from other mmo's

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by Lukooone

And , Why you should NOT ignore the haters and NOT try Darkfall.?

Because developers ruined the game when they decide to not implement any kind of skill cap. (they also prove it with the class system for DF2.0)

Everyone is a Warrior-Mage-Archer-Healer-Crafter-Gatherer...

Very very bad move to forget the R of Role in their mmoRpg (veteran and betatester of Darkfall here).

What? DF 2.0 will remove skill cap issues according to the 8/11 post.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Darkfall has very very poor graphics.

You should be a player who does not care about graphics and only cares about game mechanics.

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by Zefire

Darkfall has very very poor graphics.

You should be a player who does not care about graphics and only cares about game mechanics.

Really, who cares about gfx? If you do, there's a issue at hand that only you can resolve(and DF has better gfx than any sandbox PvP MMO of the same style. I mean UO still has thousands of people playing with 2D graphics)..

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Because it has a great atmosphere with an absoloutly beautiful world when you first log in.  A whole new living, breathing world to explore that doesn't make you feel the boredom of total safety, knowing that danger lurks just around the corner and that one must be on their guard if they wish to avoid death at the hands of enemies.

Agree^

Because Darkfall has the best pvp of any mmorpg around.  Fast paced and skill based.   Bad players will cry about people being stronger than them but that is just because it is always easier to blame the game for why they suck, there are no levels and you can't really tell how strong other players are without fighting them . 

Partially agree but the analysis is a bit simplistic^ Using unsubstantiated terms like "best" is questionable but acceptable in an opinion

The facts are that a character with 60 str and 60 vit has 375 HP and a character with 110 str and vit has 435, the difference of two hits.  Aiming is dodging is required in this game and with such minimal differences, anyone complaining about overpowered veterans for why they can't compete in Darkfall are deluisional. 

Overly broad statement^, and I disagree with the underlined. I dare a skilled (in other twitch pvp games) noob to go toe-to-toe with a veteran with maxed stats and abilities in all the skill areas. I do agree that a skilled naked veteran can wipe the floor with a an unskilled player of a high level character, so skill does play a role, but I can't agree with what's written here and using the term delusional is unwarranted hyperbole

Because, despite all the problems, Darkfall offers something that other games don't, and that shouldn't be disregarded just because someone who played it(who the game probably wasn't meant for in the first place) tell you that you shouldn't try it. 

I have two accounts (one 6-month toon, one 1-month toon) and have enjoyed a lot of aspects of DF. I am not subbed however, because I am waiting to see what happens with 2.0.

Most of these haters are overly expectant spoiled brats who don't realise that AV is a small company and that things take time. Even all these vehement complainers who constantly bitch about the game will admit its the best pvpmmorpg they've ever played. 

There isn't anything really wrong with the game that would merit not trying it.

Anyone who likes MMOs should try this game, just to see what it's about. But I'm waiting for 2.0 for reason you will understand if you follow this game

As customer service workers will tell you, there are certain kinds of entitled, rotten people out there who are just never satisfied nomatter what you do for them, and they like to cause a shitstorm. 

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by xBludx

<...>

The facts are that a character with 60 str and 60 vit has 375 HP and a character with 110 str and vit has 435, the difference of two hits.  Aiming is dodging is required in this game and with such minimal differences, anyone complaining about overpowered veterans for why they can't compete in Darkfall are deluisional. 

Overly broad statement^, and I disagree with the underlined. I dare a skilled (in other twitch pvp games) noob to go toe-to-toe with a veteran with maxed stats and abilities in all the skill areas. I do agree that a skilled naked veteran can wipe the floor with a an unskilled player of a high level character, so skill does play a role, but I can't agree with what's written here and using the term delusional is unwarranted hyperbole

<...>

Not that i enterily disagree but i once had the luck to be clan mate of a real  pro (he was playing FPS game tournaments for salary)  and he was destroying vets(in the sense of long term players who started day one) left and right (himself he had joined DF about 1 year after launch)  few days in to DF.  He had problems just with the players who had high level chars AND were skilled.

As with all pure FPS gamers of course he disliked the "grind" and left after 2 -3 months but for me he was a living example that skill really matters big point, needless to say i never won a duel against him and i am playing since 3 weeks into launch lol

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Played DF from first day. Game is dead right now, wait till 2.0.

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

<...>

Overly broad statement^, and I disagree with the underlined. I dare a skilled (in other twitch pvp games) noob to go toe-to-toe with a veteran with maxed stats and abilities in all the skill areas. 

<...>

Not that i enterily disagree but i once had the luck to be clan mate of a real  pro (he was playing FPS game tournaments for salary)  and he was destroying vets(in the sense of long term players who started day one) left and right (himself he had joined DF about 1 year after launch)  few days in to DF.  He had problems just with the players who had high level chars AND were skilled.

As with all pure FPS gamers of course he disliked the "grind" and left after 2 -3 months but for me he was a living example that skill really matters big point, needless to say i never won a duel against him and i am playing since 3 weeks into launch lol

I see what you're saying. I experienced this first hand, me being the not-skilled noob-to-mid-level player. 

There was a gold farmer hogging all the nodes where I was mining around some town in Ork lands. He was naked and I was mad so I attacked him. I got him down to about 20% health because I surprised him and wailed on him with my 2h axe outside of the tower range, but when he got his bearings and we went to range because I didn't want to go red by getting close the towers and he ran toward them. I was with my bow and he only had mana missiles.  I couldn't finish him off. He was fast and accurate. He couldn't kill me with those but I did have to move out of the way and my archery wasn't that good under those conditions (hence why I sucked).  It was funny. We finally wound up talking and I found out a lot of the "Chinese" gold farmers are actually Russian.   Then we split the nodes up and kept out of each other's way.

Point is I should have been able to kill the naked miner and take all his stuff, but he was skilled and I wasn't (I was in scale or banded or something at that time in my toon's development).

Your clanmate was a noob to DF, so it would have been fun to watch him pvp.

And I will still come back and take a look after 2.0 though I know I will never be LEET. I'm just too old to even try that. But I liked the world and I hope there will be things for other types of play styles, like explorers and crafters.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

yes.  that's all a part of the whole proper 3D space and object simulation.  where the environment and obstacles are key factors in the combat, instead of being just visuals.

however the OP is SEVERELY wrong about there not being a gap tween newbies and vets.  there's a HUGE gap.

firstly, it takes a decent amount of time to get to 375 hp, and thats just ONE of a ton of factors that are depending on skilling up.

a noobie has ONE weak nuke to begin with.

a vet has a whole arsenal of devastating nukes/rays and all kinds of other abilities and buffs, much better armour/gear/weapons.  and the various ranks of weapons makes a HUGE difference, as well as your sword skill, which takes ages to level up, and get all the related abilities which do quite a bit of extra damage.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

Originally posted by corpusc

yes.  that's all a part of the whole proper 3D space and object simulation.  where the environment and obstacles are key factors in the combat, instead of being just visuals.

however the OP is SEVERELY wrong about there not being a gap tween newbies and vets.  there's a HUGE gap.

firstly, it takes a decent amount of time to get to 375 hp, and thats just ONE of a ton of factors that are depending on skilling up.

a vet has a whole arsenal of devastating nukes/rays and all kinds of other abilities and buffs, much better armour/gear/weapons.  and the various ranks of weapons makes a HUGE difference, as well as your sword skill, which takes ages to level up, and get all the related abilities which do quite a bit of extra damage.

Vets have powerful self heals, don't they?

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by corpusc

Vets have powerful self heals, don't they?

@xBludx ;   not really sure.  i didn't skill up enough to get witches brew.  all my skilling up was done before the gain improvements.   i'm under the impression that its quite significantly more effective than a newbies self heals.

@all

just felt like i was too abrupt in my earlier comment......

i'd highly recommend anyone that knows the basic features of Darkfall to try it.  my signature which was written before the beta was really spot on with how i felt about the game after playing the full release.

Darkfall IS my favorite MMO by far, so far.  its the only one i'll resub to occasionally.  the world IS gorgeous and extremely immersive.  i love just spending hours exploring.  it has the best PVE BY FAR of any MMO (despite the odd fact everyone claims its PVE is a grind, it was the only MMO to ever NOT be a grind in PVE to me).  i mean, when you're just choosing to play PVE.  its frustrating if you're doing it as a means to the end, when "the end" is that you want to PVP.  which i guess is why people say that about it.  it would be nice if a MMO known as a "PVP MMO", wouldn't force you into doing a ton of PVE if you don't want to.  playing Darkfall will make your heart pound like no other game.  to ME, thats not necessarily a GOOD thing, but i think MOST people generally like that kind of reaction to a game, in a sea of games that make you feel so bored and numb.

however there are alot of things i hate about it too.   i can't play it too long before i've had enough and won't care to play it for months.   never played a game that pretty much FORCED you into crafting before, and i hate crafting.  for a "PVP game", there's such a tiny amount of PVP compared to farming/grinding/skilling-up, and acquiring all the items needed to get the most out of PVP.

its an interesting and entirely unique experience of EXTREMELY AWESOME and EXTREMELY BAD features.

which makes it a MUST TRY game for anybody who can handle this kind of game.

i know that nobody else here would agree with me on this, and i'll probably get a bunch of hateful responses to this, but Darkfall could be an almost perfect game for me if they'd:

* get rid of the full loot,  (it just makes the ratio of PVP to PVP-prep-time ridiculous)

* get rid of the RPG char progression aspects,

*allow you to sprint in any direction instead of just forward, so you aren't just randomly/blindly zigzagging when you're running from somebody which is made worse by them doing extra damage hitting you in the back...

* get rid of extra damage from the back, which just promotes and gives HUGE advantages to people who don't like a "fair fight", and only try preying on people who they have some advantage over.  also as mentioned above, stacks the favour quite a bit towards people who PK, and discourages peaceful players.  it almost forces people into taking advantage of any opportunity to fuck somebody, or else you are at a big disadvantage in comparison to other players who have no "ethics".  you'll be passing up all kinds of rewards and loot by being a nice guy and letting weaker/wounded prey live.  not saying people who do that are bad people in real life, but there should be OPTIONS for how you want to conduct yourself in game.  Darkfall is only setup to reward the PK-anyone-you-can-beat players.

* make the overly complicated interface much more streamlined and sensible, not requiring so much fiddly clicking and buttons to do everything.  if i select Mana Missile from my hotbar there's no reason it shouldn't switch to my staff (paperdoll should have slots where you can have a staff, a bow, a 1h and a 2h melee weapon equipped), unsheathe it and finally prepare the spell so i can just start shooting it.  it takes no gameplay skill to do those steps, its just needless, brainless complication

"but then its just a virtual world FPS game!" (in reality everybody ignores the key & significant virtual world aspect, and brainlessly tells me to go play an FPS game, as if i don't already do that)

yes.  thats what i'm waiting for. 

char progression gives obsessive grinders and "achievers" (as in char "achievement", not be confused with actual real-life-but-in-the-game achievements, such as killing a group of 4 that attacks you while you're solo'ing some PVE content) "a reason to play",... but for those of us that play a game for moment to moment fun, and have real life to skill up in and REALLY accomplish things in,....it just puts in all kinds of barriers between properly and fairly interacting with other players. and skews the game towards repetitive brainless activities to keep up with the joneses, so we can be properly equipped to fight them.  *i* can recognize my real life skills going up by how well i do in battles.  i don't need or want to see some number (or message, which in Darkfall's case, bizarrely doesn't SHOW you what number you advanced to) pop up to show how my "simulated" "character" has "achieved" some stats, by "virtue" of how much time i spent doing repetitive activities in the game. 

yes, i know how crazy that sounds to most of the mostly RPG based readers of this forum.  8)

Corpus Callosum    

• TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

There are vets running around with newbie chars. and destroying other vets..

Are there any videos of this? As someone who plays Darkfall, I have a VERY hard time believing this. I had a one month old character that I got jumped by a vet on: i got 15+ hit on him, he got 5 on me. I died. He never hit half health.

This sort of claim absolutely NEEDS video proof along with it

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

1. There will be no "Darkfall 2.0"

2. The grind is insane in Darkfall 1.0

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

the games dead because of AV and AV only.  The games a great game,  No serious bugs,  A good amount of features, strategy, launch quality for sure.  Awesome glorious combat.  Great team playing type game. 

AV just sucks.  They LIE LIE and LIE some more.  They Hype and then the hype ends up being all lies..

Darkfall just got patched a seige patch that took them 6+ months to make.  Should have taken them 2 weeks.  Players want games that are patched regularly.  We pay a subscriptions for a reason..... constant patchs.

If they continue this nonsense,  game will die out in less than a year.   

I think the only way this development is viable is if they make it a Free 2 play game and just charge for these large updates that take them over a year to make.  

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

There's no hate here.  I just don't like some of the systems in place, and they happen to be gamebreaking to me.  The biggest problem I have is with the skill cap, or lack of skill cap.  You can be a master of everything given enough time.  This is a major flaw in this game and it affects many other things as well.  This must have played into the decision to allow only one character per account.  The problem is that there is no replayability due to only having one character.  This character can do everything all at the same time, which again kills replayability.  That kills your new potential customers interest because they think they have seen everything.  Not having a skill cap makes nearly every build in the game identical.  It makes fighting players stale and boring.  It eliminates the potential for a strong player economy because everyone can gather and craft everything for themselves.  It allows murderers to be able to sustain themselves far more easily than they should be able to, which again drives away new players.  Why do sandbox games keep making the same mistake of allowing attributes to be raised through running, swimming, jumping and similar actions?  These attributes should either be capped easily through use of action skills or over time as a reward for veteran players, but even that should have a cap that shouldn't take long to reach.  The whole character progression system in Darkfall is a complete and utter fail and they know it.  Now they are introducing classes?  What about classes makes you think about sandbox?  It's the complete opposite of what sandbox is.  Now because of all of this, 99.9% of the MMO community doesn't want to play your game.  The world of Darkfall is completely barren and empty.  The only PvP you can find is either getting killed by murderers or in guild warfare, and even then you aren't dealing with massive fights.  You're engaging in small skirmishes that are neither fun, nor profittable due to everyone generally fighting naked.

If Darkfall fixed this issue, wiped the servers and added player housing... they would get a MASSIVE influx in new players.  It really is an easy fix.  I guess that it requires them to take a hit to their ego and admit that they did something wrong.

Originally posted by DAS1337

There's no hate here.  I just don't like some of the systems in place, and they happen to be gamebreaking to me.  The biggest problem I have is with the skill cap, or lack of skill cap.  You can be a master of everything given enough time.  This is a major flaw in this game and it affects many other things as well.  This must have played into the decision to allow only one character per account.  The problem is that there is no replayability due to only having one character.  This character can do everything all at the same time, which again kills replayability.  That kills your new potential customers interest because they think they have seen everything.  Not having a skill cap makes nearly every build in the game identical.  It makes fighting players stale and boring.  It eliminates the potential for a strong player economy because everyone can gather and craft everything for themselves.  It allows murderers to be able to sustain themselves far more easily than they should be able to, which again drives away new players.  Why do sandbox games keep making the same mistake of allowing attributes to be raised through running, swimming, jumping and similar actions?  These attributes should either be capped easily through use of action skills or over time as a reward for veteran players, but even that should have a cap that shouldn't take long to reach.  The whole character progression system in Darkfall is a complete and utter fail and they know it.  Now they are introducing classes?  What about classes makes you think about sandbox?  It's the complete opposite of what sandbox is.  Now because of all of this, 99.9% of the MMO community doesn't want to play your game.  The world of Darkfall is completely barren and empty.  The only PvP you can find is either getting killed by murderers or in guild warfare, and even then you aren't dealing with massive fights.  You're engaging in small skirmishes that are neither fun, nor profittable due to everyone generally fighting naked.

If Darkfall fixed this issue, wiped the servers and added player housing... they would get a MASSIVE influx in new players.  It really is an easy fix.  I guess that it requires them to take a hit to their ego and admit that they did something wrong.

A skill cap is a sub par way to handle the issue you describe for Darkfall.

Also i think you have to actually play DF since the first few months of lauch, now more then 2 years ago. I think this  after you did a statement about player hausing that is patched in since the first expac just 4 -5 months into launch.

Also no one fighting naked if he wants to be serious about wanting to win a fight. 

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

Originally posted by kakasaki

Agreed. Aside from a very rocky start, Adventurine has delivered what they promised to deliver (FFA PvP experience).

Really? http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/326195/Broken-Promises-10.html

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Oh I tried.

I tried Darkfall because I have very fond memories of Ultima Online and especially of the Siege Perilous FFA PvP shard (no Trammel) and the Factions PvP in Felucca on Atlantic shard.

I also tried Darkfall because I've been getting into Oblivion a lot lately due to the impending release of Skyrim.

Let's just say... I was extremely disapointed with Darkfall.

I uninstalled after an hour. Why?

Terrible, terrible, terrible combat mechanics.

Maybe it was just my expectations - I was expecting a game with Oblivion type FPS RPG combat. What I got was a hybrid 3rd person over the shoulder messed up piece of crap.

The level of polish and level of just... fun and even playability was abyssmal.

If this game would have been what I thought it was, a hardcore FFA PvP Ultima Online clone with Oblivion style FPS RPG combat - I would have really enjoyed it.

Instead? It's just garbage.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Oh I tried.

I tried Darkfall because I have very fond memories of Ultima Online and especially of the Siege Perilous FFA PvP shard (no Trammel) and the Factions PvP in Felucca on Atlantic shard.

I also tried Darkfall because I've been getting into Oblivion a lot lately due to the impending release of Skyrim.

Maybe it was just my expectations - I was expecting a game with Oblivion type FPS RPG combat. What I got was a hybrid 3rd person over the shoulder messed up piece of crap.

The level of polish and level of just... fun and even playability was abyssmal.

If this game would have been what I thought it was, a hardcore FFA PvP Ultima Online clone with Oblivion style FPS RPG combat - I would have really enjoyed it.

Instead? It's just garbage.

Repeating an opinion a second time doesn't validate it as true.

I have answered on your post in th other thread already and in this one you have not a new point.

Here is my opinion on why you experienced failed :

1) You didn't customized any option which lead to the performance issues. You don't provide any PC specifics and the options on the client.

2) You didn't noticed the reticle on the center of the screen or turned the sound on or noticed the blood splatter and missed hit detection.

3) You gave it a try of just one hour.  With one hours playtime i doubt you are even ready with setting up the video options and customize UI, despite diving into gameplay.

Just want to point out on what your opinion is based which is debatable of course everyone is entitled to have one.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I would still be playing if AV didn't ninja move the US server from the West Coast to the East Coast and make the game totally unplayable for Australians.

We had a group of a dozen aussies that would get together weeknights, was good times.

AV you bastards, most engaging MMO out there., wish I could play it (at less than 300 ping).

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• trashburnintrashburnin Member Posts: 223

Originally posted by BadSpock

lol, this has got to be a troll.  I played UO for 7 years and i know it has some of the most skilless combat there is,  razor macroes make it even more brainless.

In Darkfall you actually have to aim, your projectiles are effected by flight time and arrows and some spells are effected by gravity, being aware of your surroundings and utilizing terrain is very imporant.  Name boxes do not pop up when an enemy comes on screen for you to simply click on. 

The combat mechanics in DF are probably the best in any pvpmmorpg in terms of skill-based combat. 

I'm extremely disapointed in your intelligence.