Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Dead Island: Recipe for the Perfect MMO?

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Sounds good to me! Sign me up.I'm hoping undead labs pulls through with thier project and it turns out solid.At first I didn't like dead island much,but as I get further into the game it's getting better and better for me.I could definitely see it working as an mmo
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

that's for consoles only.  I'm sorry, but MMOs work best on PC (imho).  I'll probably pick it up anyways, since I'm a zombie fan.  I've always thought it would be great to set up a base inside a half torn down, or was under contruction, sky scraper. You can pick up tables, chairs, forklifts, whatevver is around to build barricades and funneling points.  Then having hordes of zombies attacking you.  You and your "guild" have to fend them off. While not entirely permenant, it will give you an place to rest and rebuild, restock, and reequip.  You'll have to leave the skyscraper to go on food/water raids, while some people would have to stay behind to defend the skyscraper.  I could play this type of game forever :)

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

What they really need to do is make a guitar hero/ zombie mmo called Grateful Dead Island.

It would be awesome. You could get out your guitar hero guitar and play Grateful Dead songs while also bashing in zombie skulls with it. The zombies could be hippies on LSD. (same thing). Jerry Garcia could be one of the zombie bosses along with PigPen, Brent Mydland and Keith Godcheaux and we could make Bob Weir be one of the opening cut scene casualties, ripped apart by young hippy girls.. and boys.

I reserve full rights for this idea.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

interesting concept for sure, but we'd need a new zombie IP for it to be viable. the folks at techland already showed everyone how incompetent they are with programming and game design

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by Asamof

interesting concept for sure, but we'd need a new zombie IP for it to be viable. the folks at techland already showed everyone how incompetent they are with programming and game design

Undead Labs was founded by Jeff Strain. And one of the big names working on Class 4 is James Phinney. They are loaded in general with proven MMO talent.

• MalevianMalevian Member Posts: 48

A sandbox zombie apocalypse MMO?  Please!  

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

You bring up really good points with the article and while I would personally love to see a well done zombie MMO put out there, there would be one fatal flaw:

The entire setting, point, and concept of the zombie apocalypse is that of being a few survivors in a world destroyed by zombies.  The whole MMO concept doesn't really make sense for this setting (imagine a zombie apocalypse world absolutely packed with players everywhere you look).  There would be no survival aspect involved as it would be more of a "kill bad guys for loot" feel since most of the time the sheer amount of players an mmo holds would really kill the setting of a world that's supposed to have few survivors.  I mean just imagine the mixed feelings you would get from a 25-40 player raid on a zombie horde =/.

On that note, I'd rather see these concepts put into a fallout-esque mmo.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

The absolute best game trailer in the history of game trailers IMHO!

Everything you laid out sounded great. Now it just has to fall on the right ears of some studio that can make it happen.

Isn't there a few Zombie MMO's in the works somewhere?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I think The Secret World will fill this void for me and even better since it won't be ONLY zombies (which gets boring after a while) but will have other horror genre staples as well.  I'll just wait for TSW.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

zombie games dont make good MMOS. they make good MMO hostile mobs thats it. reason being.. how do you get more zombies??  lets say for example everyone in north america is a zombie then magically 5 people (avarage MMO size grouping) comes along and after awhile wipes out every zombie in north america... what then?? zombies do not reproduce they feed/spread but if there is no one to spread to or feed on.. and 5 people wipe them all out??? where do more zombies come from? 

they work as a mob only as there will always be an untapped grave yard or morgue or some isolated infected group turns ect.. 

dead island is an RPG thats it, it will not work as an MMO.. as once that island is devoid of living bad guys and zombies and anyone infected is dead... how will you get more zombies?

im kind of burned out of zombie games.. 

be it a slow shamble or a speed freak zombies are zombies.. brain dead... easy to trap and wipe out once its dead.. its dead..:/ 

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259
    ...I can't wait for this infernal zombie craze to die. Please make it stop.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well I guess if you crave killing zombies all day it is a good game.  Personally I would much prefer a more varied opponent.  

IMO, they would have a hard time keeping people playing.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Based on todays loose definition of an mmo, all you need is about 5 players and it is an mmo.  Just have a lobby and join up with peeps ingame....presto!  MMO.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Ichmen

zombie games dont make good MMOS. they make good MMO hostile mobs thats it. reason being.. how do you get more zombies??  lets say for example everyone in north america is a zombie then magically 5 people (avarage MMO size grouping) comes along and after awhile wipes out every zombie in north america... what then?? zombies do not reproduce they feed/spread but if there is no one to spread to or feed on.. and 5 people wipe them all out??? where do more zombies come from? 

they work as a mob only as there will always be an untapped grave yard or morgue or some isolated infected group turns ect.. 

dead island is an RPG thats it, it will not work as an MMO.. as once that island is devoid of living bad guys and zombies and anyone infected is dead... how will you get more zombies?

im kind of burned out of zombie games.. 

be it a slow shamble or a speed freak zombies are zombies.. brain dead... easy to trap and wipe out once its dead.. its dead..:/ 

Are you kidding? Where do all other MMO mobs come from?  They just appear.  Ever wipe out an entire dungeon or village only to find it completely repopulated in 5 minutes (same mobs just happen to be standing in the exact same spot as when you killed them last time)? 

This isn't just an issue for a Zombie MMO.  It's an issue for all MMOs and the reason we have a lot of instancing now.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

if it were a sandbox and one shard/server that was persistent..it might work. Establishing a base of ops for your group would be good, but the zombs would easily tear it down when you all logged out. What would be really awesome, is playing with other idiotic human players as they would be the real threat.

It could work..but it would lose it's creepiness if it was instanced and if you could restore electricity permanently, etc. Then again, if the reason there were zombies was due to a plague/disease i wouldn't think all the cities would be destroyed, just empty. Sorta like I am Legend.

It could work, but skill caps would be needed and perma death would be awesome, esp if you could only raise your skills a few points anyway. I mean on a 1-10 scale what's the difference in driving a car from a professional driver to a teenager..if you are driving an abandoned POV down an empty street? Not much.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Left 4 Dead would be better in my opinion, but honestly I probably would not play such a game. They are fine just the way they are. If they were made into an MMO, it would be just like playing WoW, not LFD or DI.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Terranah

Based on todays loose definition of an mmo, all you need is about 5 players and it is an mmo.  Just have a lobby and join up with peeps ingame....presto!  MMO.

Hilarious isn't it.....in a really sad, sick, perverted way.  Amazing how fast the meaning of words and acronyms can change, isn't it?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

those pics are bollocks. i run the game on max settings and it still dont look as good as those images

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I can understand the combination of a post apocalyptic setting and rebuilding. But that is more then just 'fleshing out' this game. If you want players to build or even terraform in a massive persistant world, you will encounter many problems that I havent seen solved yet in any MMO. The most obvious one being that all the players would like to build something so you might run out of room to build very fast (SWG anyone?).

Then the zombie theme. Just zombies is way too limited imo. I prefer the approach of Fallen Earth/Fall Out. Not just zombies, but all kinds of mutated animals/people and factions of healthy people. Just zombies as foes would never catch on, it is just too limited for a MMO. Actually, I think that the post apocalyptic world is niche to begin with. I like it, but I wonder if the masses like to see an ugly scorched world.

Fallen Earth seems closer to this then any other MMO so far. Its just bad that their development speed is so slow that any building or terraforming would probably take 10 years or so for them to develop this.

• SirmakiSirmaki Member UncommonPosts: 118

I love the idea!! +1 votes from me!!!

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by scotty899

those pics are bollocks. i run the game on max settings and it still dont look as good as those images

The second pic (the one where she has the axe) is pretty much how it looks on my PC.......

The first image however looks too good.

Would it work as an MMO ? hell yes. Call it Dead world & start with a large city & expand from there. Survivalist hideouts in the subway (like in metro 2033), airport shops (like in 28 days), bus depots etc would be interesting.

I would totally be up for that.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by Terranah

Hilarious isn't it.....in a really sad, sick, perverted way.  Amazing how fast the meaning of words and acronyms can change, isn't it?

People make their living altering and shaping perception.  I see a lot of people questioning the current definition, but also a lot of people blindly accepting because it's listed on this site or has mmo listed on the box or download.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

The entire premise of the game (it seems from the trailers) is that you are not really fighting toward something, rather trying to stave off death for a few more minutes.  To be an MMO, you'd have to alter that concept somewhat to have something to work towards, seeing as most players in this genre are driven by goals that are more long-term than "don't die within the next five minutes, and if you live then you get to not die some more."

That, and there would have to be more of a practical approach to zombie killing than run up to it and bludgeon it to death.  You generally don't want to get within range of something whose attacks are bite based, and will kill you in one shot if they land.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

Compelling story? hardly, the story is near non-existant and i've finished the game more than once. But gameplay is what DI is all about. Its a fun game could be a decent basis for a zombie mmo.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Rule No.1

Perfect MMO DOES NOT exist

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.