Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: You've Come a Long Way, Baby!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This past July, Age of Conan went "Unchained", or free to play. Lots of players have been checking back in to see what's new with Age of Conan: Unchained, including MMORPG.com's Daniel Owens. Daniel has a complete re-review of Age of Conan: Unchained that's well worth the time to read. Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Age of Conan: Unchained is your typical MMORPG and functions essentially in the same manner, you quest, raid and PvP all the same. The differences are in the improvements on these traditional systems to provide a completely different take on how MMOs are played. Set entirely in the lore rich world of Conan the Barbarian, players are able to explore a world crafted to a likeness that even Howard himself would approve of.

Read more of Daniel Owens' Age of Conan: Unchained - You've Come a Long Way, Baby!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Link's not working for me.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Yep, link's dead.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I tried it once but could never dte into it, I think I got to level 25 or so.  The main things I didn't like was the armor design (I realize it fits in with the story, etc but I just didn't like the models) and the the crafting (hated only being able to gather/craft only in one place). The combat was OK but it was still button mashing just like any other MMO, Graphics where nice, especillly the water affect.

Is it Tortuga or Tortage... I thought Tortuga was Pirates of the Carribean.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

It is still a button mashing game and for me it's gamebreaking.  Having to press 5-6 keys to do 1 move is annoying to me.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I keep thinking how whenever the amazing combat is mentioned people forget to add that it's true if you're playing a physical damage class. How convenient that spellcasters are often forgotten when combat is mentioned.

Edit: rangers

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

So, here's a question. The title says: You've Come A Long Way, Baby!

This takes me back to my ultra-whitebread suburban upbringing when men were men, women were women, and the cigarette companies could still push their brand of poison as natural, even healthy.

So, speaking of cigarettes and clumsy segueways, wasn't that the motto for Marlboro cigarettes? Or some brand of cigarettes? So my question is...did Marlboro (or whoever) rip that motto from sometime further back in pop culture history, or did they pioneer the You've Come A Long Way Baby motto?

Yay Conan!

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Age of Conan is the only MMO that does NOT feel like a kids game to me, besides EVE.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Talthanys

So, here's a question. The title says: You've Come A Long Way, Baby!

This takes me back to my ultra-whitebread suburban upbringing when men were men, women were women, and the cigarette companies could still push their brand of poison as natural, even healthy.

So, speaking of cigarettes and clumsy segueways, wasn't that the motto for Marlboro cigarettes? Or some brand of cigarettes? So my question is...did Marlboro (or whoever) rip that motto from sometime further back in pop culture history, or did they pioneer the You've Come A Long Way Baby motto?

Yay Conan!

Virgin Slims (clicky) and an Album name of Fat boy Slim's second album (clicky) which i think is where i remember it from, not old enough to remember the cig's and it was probably and american brand that we never saw in blighty.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Aguitha

It is still a button mashing game and for me it's gamebreaking.  Having to press 5-6 keys to do 1 move is annoying to me.

Yep, I'm with ya.  The problem I have with it, is that it takes what's always been a negative about past MMO's(you spend less time looking at the action on the screen and more on cooldown bars and effect icons) and makes it FAR worse.  What good is having a bitchin' move where you rip a dude's heart out of his chest and laugh when you're busy UI staring, trying to set up your next combo?

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by mbd1968

I tried it once but could never dte into it, I think I got to level 25 or so.  The main things I didn't like was the armor design (I realize it fits in with the story, etc but I just didn't like the models) and the the crafting (hated only being able to gather/craft only in one place). The combat was OK but it was still button mashing just like any other MMO, Graphics where nice, especillly the water affect.

It's Tortage. Tortuga is a real place in the Carribean, and Tortage is influenced by it.

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

The combat in this game was hailed as being innovative. It was half way there. Darkfall and Mortal Online were fully the way there.

Age of Conan was always a half way there game for me. 

Innovative combat is where you can actually swing your sword around regardless of targeting some enemy. It is where if something comes into contact with your sword it hurts them. Physics not button mashing and auto tab targeting.

Conan failed on this level. It still does.

It is also just a mass of instances. It does not feel like a coherent world. Nothing open to it. Sure some of the instances look big and open but they are just levels in a level based game.

Levels, classes, instances, button mashing ... no thanks. I have had enough of that crap to last a lifetime. 

However I will say it did the levels, classes, instance, button mashing very beautifully. You could almost perve on your female avatar if you were sad :)

• WintersWolfWintersWolf Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by mbd1968

It's Tortage. Tortuga is a real place in the Carribean, and Tortage is influenced by it.

Yeah oops, just finished watching the new Pirates of the Carribean movie (terrible) the other day, thanks or picking it up ;)

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Cacophanist

Innovative combat is where you can actually swing your sword around regardless of targeting some enemy. It is where if something comes into contact with your sword it hurts them. Physics not button mashing and auto tab targeting.

Actually, that's exactly what was possible as everyone who really, actively played AoC for a duration of time would and should know: regardless  which mob you targeted, you swung your sword and every mob that was in its range got hit even if you hadn't targeted those other mobs. Smart players manoeuvered in such a way that each hit of them would hit several mobs at the same time.

So yes, your melee attacks and hits were a PBAoE cone, not based upon tabbing to your target, and it was even the case that if you had a longer weapon like a polearm, then also the range within which mobs would get hit would be larger.

Conclusion: AoC didn't fail in that aspect, it is ingame for melee combat, and that's the example you were talking about with the sword swinging comment.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

And that's exactly how AoC works for melee characters. You can swing your sword and apply combos, they'll land if the enemy is in front of you and within range regardless of wether you have targeted them or not. Actually when playing a melee character a big part of the game is to position yourself and your enemies so that most (or all) of them are in front of you so your attacks hits them all instead of just one. The reason you usually target your enemies in melee combat is to see which direction their shields are facing (so you can attack in different directions), but as a melee there's no need to even target anyone ever (well, maybe for the charge ability)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• CandombleCandomble Member UncommonPosts: 164

No it is not just a button mashing combat... and no it is not just for melee...

Of course you have to press buttons (how could you combat without it?), but positioning is crucial; crucial to avoid damage on yourself and to maximize your damage output in one or multiple mobs; in AoC there is splash damage wich means that a single target attack can damage multiple mobs (again positioning) and this works with casters and melee.

And as said before, your weapon will damage anyone in its cone (and if your target isn't there he won't suffer any damage).

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by Evile

Age of Conan is the only MMO that does NOT feel like a kids game to me, besides EVE.

This I have to admit is true.

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659

I am trying to figure out what exactly some people are looking for when it comes to combat. Do they want some kind of mind probe so they do not have to touch their keyboard? Do they want to play a PC game using a console controller?

What the hell?

Of course there is button mashing!

AoC had the most realistic type of combat for melee AND caster types over all other MMOs I have played. If an enemy was within range of the player's intended target, it was struck by the player too. I was able to kill several at once even though I was only targeting one. One of  my favorite classes was my Polearm DPS Guardian. I could do massive damage!

Age of Conan was a real pleasure for me to play. I was in Early Access and played for 3 years straight. I just might return as I wait for another MMO am I looking forward to.

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87

Lots of people complaning about the buttons for styles.  Once you played your character for more than 10 levels the styles were second nature, and it felt like you were a part of the combat.  Rather than just pressing 1 button moves.  

• KanoRainKanoRain Member Posts: 94

Having several 80s (Demo, Bear Shaman, Guardian, and Hox) the game is as shit as ever, PvP is still ruled by the top 5% elite, PvE is a joke and still broken (Wing 3 is still broken to this day) and open world PvP on Deathwish is an awful joke of Anvil of Scrub and other zerg guilds who suck simply using 20 on 1 tactics.

It's worth the DL to goof around leveling and check out the scenery, but it has 0 longevity.

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

AGAIN another one sided, biased review that does nothing but praise a game and not drop a single line about it's major letdowns.

Subscription based game including a cash shop, pvp gear to buy are i.e. two of the main reasons people avoid the game. Yet you list "balance issues" and "large hard drive requirements" in the cons? Which mmorpg does not have balance issues? And harddrives go for nearly a cent a terabyte nowadays. BTW: where is the "deep combat system" playing a caster?

This site with it's "reviews" has really lost it long time ago. It's all about high raitings and praise.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

Actually, that's exactly what was possible as everyone who really, actively played AoC for a duration of time would and should know: regardless  which mob you targeted, you swung your sword and every mob that was in its range got hit even if you hadn't targeted those other mobs. Smart players manoeuvered in such a way that each hit of them would hit several mobs at the same time.

So yes, your melee attacks and hits were a PBAoE cone, not based upon tabbing to your target, and it was even the case that if you had a longer weapon like a polearm, then also the range within which mobs would get hit would be larger.

Conclusion: AoC didn't fail in that aspect, it is ingame for melee combat, and that's the example you were talking about with the sword swinging comment.

It did fail.  Like all games that try to focus on one primary feature.  They wanted advanced combat, they tried to create it.  They failed to create decent content.  Players quickly got bored of the combat and when they looked up, they saw... nothing.  Cookie-cutter kill 10 X gather 15 y quests.

Players left.

It seems like the common trend.

I've always wondered why MMO's can't take after single player games?  Stop f*cking balancing the game on PvP... NO ONE CARES.  Look at every single game that tries to balance classes for PvP, you end up with a dull, pile of crap. 

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

You do realise you can minimize the legend in the minimap right? I do agree with you though, the UI is extremely clunky and is the only thing in the game that has not aged well.

• WintersWolfWintersWolf Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

You do realise you can minimize the legend in the minimap right? I do agree with you though, the UI is extremely clunky and is the only thing in the game that has not aged well.

Never did actually notice that you could do that, but yeah definitely one of the things that still needs an overhaul.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

aged well? when the game came out the UI was crap to begin with, it was like they took the AO interface and slashed out all the detailed info and dumped it on AoC

during beta i thought the UI was bad and they haven't improved it since! heck daoc has a better UI than conan, and daoc's interface is awful.

one thing i did like about AoC is that they attempted to make hybrid classes so that casters would be at least somewhat fun.

though i have to admit that they dropped the ball a bit by making PoMs more desired than they should have been, but then again who wouldn't want to play a class that can do damage well and heal?

then again like fc always does, they broke the classes rather than making the classes that lagged behind better.

i swear funcom just loves to chase their collecive tails rather than learn from their mistakes.

it makes me question the worth of getting the secret world or not.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Evile

Vanguard does not feel like a kids game and is a very mature feeling MMO.