Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Story of the Week: TOR Launch and F2P DCUO

Comments

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I'm pretty hyped for the launch of TOR not sure how DCUO going free to play is even in the same stratosphere but I guess since you've done all the work before finding out TOR's release date I can't blame you for not wanting to trash whatever write up you had done on DCUO.

I wonder how many posts a week we'll get now speculating about how many times TOR will be pushed back.  I've noticed recently one of the things that seems to make me a dinosaur when it comes to this new generation of consumers is I expect companies to be trustworthy and to make sense in the statements released. 

First thing about SOE I still have yet to get over is the fact that throughout the original game for SWG they lied to the playerbase about the fact that Jedi could be unlocked in some secret way that people would have to keep grinding to figure out what it was that unlocked it which turned out not to be true.  Now they claim that they released DCUO and they have always intended to make it F2P am I the only one who sees that statement as a gold digger telling significant other they are only in it for the money?

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Good luck EA. I wonder I wonder I wonder how Blizzard are going to compete at Christmas? Very tactical if they cannot.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by EndDream

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Hyperbeam

I've got a bad feeling about this...pun intended :P

Luckily my wife knows that I don't wait until Christmas to get games... I get them when they come out, dammit.  :P

haha, QFT!

In my case my wife will not be able to wait either. I am so excited, all of my friends from UO are cropping up and we are all goign to make a guild together. It's gonna be like old times!

old times are old,there will be nothing like them again,ever!

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by raistlinm

I'm pretty hyped for the launch of TOR not sure how DCUO going free to play is even in the same stratosphere but I guess since you've done all the work before finding out TOR's release date I can't blame you for not wanting to trash whatever write up you had done on DCUO.

They're both big news and not everyone is interested in SWTOR. I will start playing DCUO again due to the F2P switch long before I ever even consider giving SWTOR a shot. In my eyes, this SWTOR launch date isn't even a big deal by comparison.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by firefly2003

20th for US and 22nd for Europe? I would Imagine it really comes out on the 13th of Dec for early access for those who pre-ordered and managed to get a copy, wouldn't this date be misleading?

First, Think:

There is a concept known as a release date.  Do you understand what that is?  It doesn't sound like it.  The 20th is the release date.  Early Access is "SPECIAL" exception to the rule.

It feels like reading someone who has black and white thinking who is confused when confronted with a gray situation.

Or were you just trying to point out that "early access" is the "REAL RELEASE" date because you want to appear so much smarter than everyone else?  Is that what you need?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Originally posted by Cacaphony

It sounds like SWTOR will be "meh" at best.  Well, at least according to this guy.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3772416&postcount=44

and

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3772425&postcount=7

He has seen behind the iron curtian of SWTOR!  Personally, i can't take the word of a hardcore Cryptic brown noser on this. 

So, what are ya'lls thoughts on how the game will do?

LOL, yeah that guy doesn't sound like he has much of an agenda. Haha.  Anyway, I think SWTOR is going to be a terrific game.  The key will be BioWare.  Will they continue to crank out content and give us options at end game?  Or will they go the route of Blizzard and Rift and just pile up raid after raid after raid?  I hope they are willing to to think outside the box a bit come endgame for those people that can't devote a lot of time to raiding.  At the very least, we know the game is going to have great replay value for rolling alts.  

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

It sounds like SWTOR will be "meh" at best.  Well, at least according to this guy.

and

He has seen behind the iron curtian of SWTOR!  Personally, i can't take the word of a hardcore Cryptic brown noser on this. 

Totalbiscuit, imo, is one of the best game reviewers. He feels that the PvP in the game will be very addictive. Therefore, I do as well.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

This is good.  I should have plenty of time to finish up a couple games I'm working on before launch.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

isnt last post before christmas around dec 16th..... in the UK at least.. hope not everyone is relying on mail order!

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Pretty happy with everything at the moment. RoI drops for LOTRO soon so will check that out with Fallen Earth going F2P later, so will be playing that as well. I liked DCUO, but never thought it was really worth a monthly sub fee was worth it for the amount of content. 

SWTOR will be releasing on my Christmas break from college, and seeing I work for said college I also get a month off from work, means I get to dive in and degrade into some neanderthal of a man to which my girlfriend will be very sad by. 

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Kelthius

and

Totalbiscuit, imo, is one of the best game reviewers. He feels that the PvP in the game will be very addictive. Therefore, I do as well.

I very much enjoy Totalbiscuit's videos.  I loved his gamescon coverage of  SWTOR and GW2.   

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    The 20th is a really terrible release date. Talk about fucking your own staff over for the holidays
  • Mr.WizardMr.Wizard Member UncommonPosts: 243

Pff why always North America first?! How about 20 Dec (or even earlier) for Europe and 22 Dec for NA? Americans are not worth more than Europeans! *pouts*

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Draemos

The 20th is a really terrible release date. Talk about fucking your own staff over for the holidays

I bet they would have enough 'volunteers'.

People DO work over the holidays you know ;P

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Guess Ill give SWTOR a go in Januari after the launch dust has settled.

This leaves me time to check some games that go f2p. Im definately returning to Fallen Earth after 12 oct. They offer f2p in a way that I like. Especially no inventory/auction restrictions (I always run into problems with that kind of f2p restriction). And I was going check my toons in CoH too after it becomes f2p. Although I might check DCUO instead now. Never really looked into it. It's so awesome having trouble with picking a game :p

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

All I know is, good or bad, I have a new MMO for Chistmas Break (work at a school so I get it off).

Really looking forward to what they have for world pvp though.

• VernamVernam Member UncommonPosts: 50

WOOT....DCUO free to play! Oh yeah and the SWTOR thing is good too.

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

so what about us lowly plebs in Oz, do we get it the same time as NA????

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I sense a great disturbance in the force my young apprentice.... EA to push another game out because they can't wait anymore. We need that money now! :(

Push? The game is in development for 5 years now and they stated more than once that 2011 was the targeted release year. 

Why don't you give it a rest? Aren't fed up yet with making hate thread after hate thread on these boards?

• PadmeAmPadmeAm Member Posts: 26
    Finally a date... Now I can focus on LotRO/Isengard the next few months and looking forward to diving into SWTOR at the end of the year... I always lack available gametime, its even gonna get much worse i guess!
  • DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

My point still stands: why not KOTOR 3 as a singleplayer one wtih coop mode? Playing KOTOR 2 atm but just cant stand it just doesn't have the same emotional feel KOTOR 1 did.

From what I've seen/read so far I think TOR will sell well but also drop off fast, once the shinyness of nearly fully VO has worn off. It just looks too limited for a breathening living world, also they are adding more and more features from a game people are getting tired off.

Anyway the release date is a bit well stupid? Who in his right mind would like to work/play on holidays instead of spending time with the family? This thing really screams EA pushing for an early release so ToR can come out first. If EA really fears D3 they are more stupid than I've thought, I mean ToR is somewhat a MMOG and D3 a lobby game.

DCUO going p2w oh well...another IP destroyed by Soe what a shame.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• DarthMechDarthMech Member UncommonPosts: 40

cant wait as its been a long time gettin' here!!

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    It's was kind of funny on the swtor official forums. People found out that the game had monthly subscriptions are canceling their pre-orders. It kind of baffles me on how a person who has been registered since 2008 does not know that the game had sub fees hehe.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by nyxium

Good luck EA. I wonder I wonder I wonder how Blizzard are going to compete at Christmas? Very tactical if they cannot.

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by nyxium

with MW3 coming out for activision, blizzard (who is owned by activision) will be just fine. Why would they need to compete at christmas anyway? Blizz will just put out patch 4.3 and all the players will flood back for 2 weeks and leave again.