Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

battle of the macro mouse

psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

corsair vengeance m90

vs

razer naga

personally, i'm leaning towards the corsair cuz the button placement makes more sense to me

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have the Naga, and it definitely works for mmorpg stuff. I'm not sure it's the best solution though. I do not use all 12 button effectively.

I am very intrigued by the Corsair mouse. I'd need to actually play with it down at Best Buy or something like that before buying it. It does look like a more intelligent layout than the Logitech 'MMO' mouse.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367

I've had the Naga since just about the time it came out and I don't see me replacing it any time soon.  The button placement feels natural to me, especially since they provide you with these small adhesive bumps that you can place on the various keys to map them out how you like.  Also it has 12 buttons specifically designed for MMO use.  I've found that it makes MMO gaming and any other form of gaming that uses a lot of hotkeys to be much more streamlined and intuitive.  I love using it in games like Oblivion, for example.  In the end, I would say to see if you can't find them on demo at some store and try to get a hands-on feel for them before making a decision.  If you can't manage that, I would highly recommend the Naga but to be fair I haven't ever used the Corsair.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Im using the naga and its a great mouse but I think you need someone who has played with both to tell you whats best.

Im biased so I say Naga ;)

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

I have the Razor Naga.  It takes some practice, but it is awesome once you get it down.  For me, 7, 8, and 9 are the hardest to use effectively.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• drazzahdrazzah Member UncommonPosts: 437

Go with the naga, Razer makes great products IMO.

• RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by tcosaddict

...The button placement feels natural to me, especially since they provide you with these small adhesive bumps that you can place on the various keys to map them out how you like.  ...

Yeah, the little sticky bumps were really helpful for learning how to "feel" for the buttons.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

I love my Naga but i wish it felt like my Krait. Or whish my Krait had 12 buttons.image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by tcosaddict

but to be fair I haven't ever used the Corsair.

hehe to be fair, nobody outside corsair has used the M90 extensively:D  the product was just recently introduced.  I dont think any distributers carry it yet:D   it's like trying to find a zambezi chip right now:D   they kinda ripped off logitech design on the keyboard too, but they are using much better buttons.  (cherry mx reds)

Originally posted by drazzah
    Go with the naga, Razer makes great products IMO.

Cannot argue with this. I have at least a half dozen Razer mice, none of which were replaced because they were defective. I just wanted a newer mouse.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

The only problems I have with the Naga is that my paw is a bit too big for the mouse. Also the Forward/Back buttons could have been placed better.

Still, I love my Naga and swear by it nowadays and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's not a clicker. It's made a tedious melee combat game like AoC much more pleasant for me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by Goristro

I have the Razor Naga.  It takes some practice, but it is awesome once you get it down.  For me, 7, 8, and 9 are the hardest to use effectively.

Hey Goristor,

7, 8, and 9 are actually pretty easy to use if you can adopt this way of accessing them:

use the number 5 as a resting point for your thumb. Consider it a base camp for your thumb. If you need a focal point to help you find 5 I suggest taking one of the trainers and actually putting it on 2. Why? 2 is above 5 and when your thumb is on 5 the tip will lightly brush up against the 2 button with its trainer. this will give you a focus point of where your thumb needs to be. Why not put it on 5? I find that the trainers will of course raise your thumb slightly and don't really feel comfortable with repetitive use. Ergonomically the raised key feels a bit weird and any weird senstation is just going to cause unwanted tension.

Of course, your mileage may vary and you might not mind the feeling.

Now, with your thumb over 5 just know that if you move your thumb down one rowit is 8. If you swing your thumb to the left it will naturally hover over 7.

9 is a weirder one as it forces your thumb to curl toward the hand in a slightly odd way. Practice moving the thumb to 6 which is a gentle shift to the right. once you understand that sensaton practice moving your thumb diagnoally toward the right which fits right below 6 and of course goes to 9.

A similiar tack can be taken with the bottom row.

With your thumb on 5 practice jumping a row, over the 8 button to 11.

It's essentially moving your thumb off 5 and jumping a row and having the tip of your thumb come into contact with the 11.

The idea is to get used to the feeling/sensation of moving to the next row in comparison with jumping a row.

Always make sure that you practice ease into any of these movments and don't force anything.

edit: a note on the trainer stickers...

I only used 2 of them, one on the 2 and one on the 8. This created a sensation of my thumb resting between two soft points. I eventually got rid of the 8 and only used the 2. As long as I felt the 2 brushing against the tip of my finger I knew exactly where every other key was. So the only key where I had to endure a raised finger was the 2 and my thumb would glide effortlessly over the rest of the keys.

At this point I'm clear on the sensation of 5 and dont' use the trainers anymore.

If people think it's hard I would remind them that violinists, cellists, etc don't use frets and are able to pick out points on a smooth finger board from knowing the sensation of their fingers moving and stretching certain distances.

the same goes with typing as people who learn to type don't look at their hands but understand the sensations of their hand movements and where they need to go for the appropriate keys.

A bit verbose but I hope that helps.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Goristro
    Hey Goristor,

7, 8, and 9 are actually pretty easy to use if you can adopt this way of accessing them:
    use the number 5 as a resting point for your thumb. Consider it a base camp for your thumb. If you need a focal point to help you find 5 I suggest taking one of the trainers and actually putting it on 2. Why? 2 is above 5 and when your thumb is on 5 the tip will lightly brush up against the 2 button with its trainer. this will give you a focus point of where your thumb needs to be. Why not put it on 5? I find that the trainers will of course raise your thumb slightly and don't really feel comfortable with repetitive use. Ergonomically the raised key feels a bit weird and any weird senstation is just going to cause unwanted tension.
    Of course, your mileage may vary and you might not mind the feeling.
    Now, with your thumb over 5 just know that if you move your thumb down one rowit is 8. If you swing your thumb to the left it will naturally hover over 7.
    9 is a weirder one as it forces your thumb to curl toward the hand in a slightly odd way. Practice moving the thumb to 6 which is a gentle shift to the right. once you understand that sensaton practice moving your thumb diagnoally toward the right which fits right below 6 and of course goes to 9.
    A similiar tack can be taken with the bottom row.
    With your thumb on 5 practice jumping a row, over the 8 button to 11.
    It's essentially moving your thumb off 5 and jumping a row and having the tip of your thumb come into contact with the 11.
    The idea is to get used to the feeling/sensation of moving to the next row in comparison with jumping a row.
    Always make sure that you practice ease into any of these movments and don't force anything.

edit: a note on the trainer stickers...
    I only used 2 of them, one on the 2 and one on the 8. This created a sensation of my thumb resting between two soft points. I eventually got rid of the 8 and only used the 2. As long as I felt the 2 brushing against the tip of my finger I knew exactly where every other key was. So the only key where I had to endure a raised finger was the 2 and my thumb would glide effortlessly over the rest of the keys.
    At this point I'm clear on the sensation of 5 and dont' use the trainers anymore.
    If people think it's hard I would remind them that violinists, cellists, etc don't use frets and are able to pick out points on a smooth finger board from knowing the sensation of their fingers moving and stretching certain distances.
    the same goes with typing as people who learn to type don't look at their hands but understand the sensations of their hand movements and where they need to go for the appropriate keys.
    A bit verbose but I hope that helps.

I have a Naga, and I do like it. I will use it over my other Razer mouse for MMO 'stuff'. If I had a choice though, I'd rather use a mouse that didn't require me to learn how to position my thumb. It is non-intuitive. The Corsair mouse might actually be better in this regard.

Or it might not. I am very much wanting to try it out though...dang it.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Hmm, my friends have had issues with their Razer mice/keyboards in the past. One the mouse would stop working randomly but they released a firmware update to fix that. The other has a keyboard he has to unplug and plug back in sometimes which is still an issue for him.

I'm sure they're mostly great products it just seems strange they have to release so many firmware updates for a mouse. Based on that though I'd personally want to try the Corsair one out, button placement looks pretty nice, much more natural looking layout.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I have to vote for the naga being an owner. 

I did not use the trainer stickers, I just made a mental note of the key locations while counting the spaces with my thumb.

Personally I set my hot bar up in "threes" ie. 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, it helped me with the mental image when learning the mouse.

It took me a solid month to really get used to it but now I really can't use anything else, even in FPS.