Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Farewell to SWG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Wars Galaxies will be closing its doors for good in December 2011. In today's Player Perspectives, MMORPG.com's Isabelle Parsley bids adieu to SWG, a game that was one of her "defining games". Read Isabelle's thoughts about the final days of Star Wars Galaxies and her memories of the glory days. Add a comment or two of your own in the comments.

The thing most people who never played SWG know about the game is that it caused a shit-storm of truly epic proportions a few years ago, when the game was more or less stealth-overhauled – folded, spindled and mutilated in ways most of its players neither expected nor wanted. Shrieks of outrage were heard all over the MMO world, blame was slung, abuse was hurled; and while the MMO world moved on, as it always does, the bitter taste of the Combat Upgrade and the New Gaming (or was it Gamer?) Experience never quite faded away. I could still name at least a half dozen players who have refused to have anything to do with SOE since, and who can’t say “Smedley” without making it sound like “Smeg-head”.

Read more of Isabelle Parsley's Player Perspectives: Farewell to SWG.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• james082james082 Member CommonPosts: 12

Pre-CU it was the best game ever, i still keep in touch with a few people i met there in 03-04.

''Smeg-Head''

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

While I quit this game years ago I still consider this to be my favourite game.

Farewell.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

*sigh* The good old memories of the Eclipse server and it's wonderful community!

"Smeg-Head"

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Even after all those years of not playing the mere looking at screenshots and reading about others that cherished the game as much as I did back still stings a little. With the last but only tiny trace of hope for a revamp fading it yet again feels like another farewell.

Farewell, SWG. For me as a Roleplayer you will most likely always remain the one game that managed to actually offer a game that supported creativity way beyond the extend of other so-called AAA MMOs.

"Smeg-Head" indeed ...

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

Yup, it was the best game ever for me too (pre-nge ofc). I doubt I shall ever play a game like it again. Not only was it a great game, but it had the best community which I doubt I shall ever witness in another MMO again.

• Frick156Frick156 Member Posts: 2

My first MMO and, in a lot of ways mentioned above, my best experience in a MMO (pre-CU, of course).

I still have all my screenshots, Excel files of resource data and friends made in-game. Heck, I still use my SWG generated handle as my primary toon names on all other MMOs...

Shuttering the servers now do not make me sad...to me, the game died a long, long time ago (in a state far, far away, as it were). It does however, server to remind me of fun times and better days...

Here's hoping some MMO can (successfully) bring back to a similar experience. So far...not so much..

cheers

"Eheast Drolatach"...hunter, gatherer, wanna-be Jedi

• BausteBauste Member UncommonPosts: 22

The multiple classes available in pre cu and nge has never been matched by another MMO since.   Crafting also has never been dupilcated.   Many MMOs later I still go back and revisit the game, and I always hoped that that Star Wars Galaxies II would one day pop up.  8 classes seems almost laughable nowadays, but that model keeps showing its limited face throughout the MMO world.  I will miss you SWG, and I hope we will see a similar SWG model on many games yet to come.

Pcgamingvet

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Yep, the orginal SWG was a great game.  I didn't hate the NGE as much as everyone else, but I didn't stay long enough either. But just the same, a small part of me will miss SWG. I hate seeing any MMO die, just feels bad.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• BCuseBCuse Member Posts: 140

as i look back i remember all the amazing fun i had playing swg, my favorite game of all time!  the freedom of the game, making my character and doing what i want to do not what some designer pushed me into doing.  having my own house and decorating it.  having a business or buying items crafted by an expert individual not just a loot drop.   i didnt like when the NGE (even hearing those letters together makes me cringe) was forced on us.  but i hung in with the game and over time there was some great additions to it.  i always thought a mix of the pre and post nge game would have been amazing.  the people who have worked on the game recently have done an excellent job.  i guess to sum it up swg is my favorite game ever but will always suffer from the "what if" or "only if".   I hope someday somebody can make swg2 or another mmorpg in the original star wars universe!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

To paraphrase a quote from the sci fi character that inspired the name "Smeg head"...

"Look, no point feeling sorry about SWG. It's a kindness. Like a blind old incontinent sheepdog, SWG's had its day. Take SWG out to the barn with a double-barreled shot-gun and blow the mother away. And I'm only saying that because I'm so fond of it."

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

The demise of the most well-rounded sandbox ever created in the modern era.

I'm just going to add that there was a lot to hate about the game too, pre-CU.  I quit two times during pre-CU due to my frustration.  I miss the game though.  It was fun and had one of the best communities ever.

Biggest crime of SWG dying:  Nobody is going to take the risk to make anything similar again.  At least nobody mainstream.  And that is a shame.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Off all the big MMO's available... somehow i never gave this one a try....I was to much occupied with other MMo's and then when i finally got time... CU was what happened and there was only negativisme about this game..

Still to bad i missed pre CU... MAybe when the game closes SOE should release the pre CU source code for servers and clients, so people new to the genre can still get a feeling how it was ....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

My favorite game after WOW, but now i am happy because of new most epic Star Wars saga. Good bye old friend

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

Not one I played, but only heard good things about it. Time for it to make way for a severely dumbed down version I think. You don't need to read or group in STOR, such educational and social Achievements will be replaced by dailies.

• WrayethWrayeth Member Posts: 229

SWG was an absolutely awesome game once upon a time. I, too, agree that it was better before player Jedi, though for a different reason: simply, Jedi were an alpha class in PvP. That meant that if you weren't a Jedi or didn't have one very specific build made to counter them, you could no longer compete once they started showing up. Personally, I never wanted to be a TKA or Fencer, so I found myself constantly on the short end of the stick with my master Rifleman/master Swordsman/several skills from Pistoleer build that worked well against everything except Jedi.

I eventually quit the game completely for EVE (which I had been playing alongside SWG for about a year), but came back for the Combat Upgrade, hoping that would make it possible for normal folks to compete. I was leery of the fact that they'd added levels to the game, but since I was already maxxed out I figured I could live with it. In any case, I gave it a shot, hoping to find the CU as awesome as SOE touted it to be.

No dice.

The first time I ran into a Dark Jedi, he use some force cloak power or other and became completely invisible. The only thing I could do was frantically mash buttons while he beat me down.

At that point, and with a heavy heart, I cancelled my subscription for good. For the next several months I kept hoping to see some sign that SOE would make the game playable for normal folk who didn't want to spend 6 months grinding out Jedi, but it was not to be. About two months after I stopped following news of the game, the NGE happened. It was so large that I found out about it despite the fact I was no longer really paying attention.

At that point, I was both desperately glad that I had quit the game, but also saddened that the game I'd once loved more than any other was gone for good.

-Wrayeth (EVE)

-Raytheon Kednallen,

Master Rifleman/Master Swordsman/Pistoleer

Former Master Commando/Master Pistoleer

Shadowfire (SWG)

P.S. If I might ask, who was your character on Shadowfire, Isabelle?

-Wrayeth
    "Look, pa! I just contributed absolutely nothing to this thread!"

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Even if you cant subscribe to SWG specifically, couldnt you still play it with the station pass?

• rmazinrmazin Member UncommonPosts: 10

Farewell Bloodfin...

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I'm always mistified by people who feel so good about SWG.  The game had potential in all three phases of it's existence, but never lived up to it's potential.  SOE pushed it out WAY too early so that it was full of bugs AND lacked any real content.  The next two "fixes" helped, but amazingly enough, many of the bugs that were in it at launch are STILL in it today.  The two things that pushed me away was the complete destruction of the Star Wars Lore and the grind, especially the grind.

I guess I just never found the right "guild" to play with in any of the three phases to make the game fun for me.  that or I just remember the game a little more clearly than some.  Heck, maybe it's a combination of the two.

I wanted to love this game so much, but SOE screwed it up so bad I just never could.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I miss the gold old days pre-cu,   I lived through that, but the NGE killed the game.   I have to say I miss pre nge and pre-cu.  However I don't miss the game as it is.   I know a lot of folks have fond memories, but  it is time to let the game go.

I will say goodbye to all my old friend who used to live on intrepid.  We had good times.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Even if you cant subscribe to SWG specifically, couldnt you still play it with the station pass?

YOu would have had to have station pass subscription before last friday.  If you had station pass before then, then yes.

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo Member Posts: 106

I think the original SWG community was a once in a lifetime thingy. I have never before SWG or after played in such a friendly tight-knit community. You know, even the pre-cu TEF gankers was nice people. I had some good talks and laughs with some of them. Even some of them ended up in my friend list. Insane... lol. I think if they tried again with the same concept they would never get the same community again.

The community was the main reason I played this bug ridden game for so long. The game in itself was one of those unpolished gems that could have become a shiny diamond but sadly remained unpolished(even though they tried both with the CU and NGE).

I have overcome all feeling of bittersweet betrayal at this time, so farwell SWG it was a good run!

Found some vids on youtube that made me a bit nostalgic.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0C491596D7A3A3FD

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

SWG was the best MMO I ever played. What it lacked at the begining was epic Quests and some epic instances.

What if the had the Hoth instance at the start of the game :)  Hoth was my favorite instance when I returned just a lot of fun.

Farwell SWG.

DarkAchilles Lord of Bastion "StarSider"

Ajax

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340

Brilliant game with the best RP possibilities ever offered. The feeling of accomplishment in your character and the freedom of creating that character was (and is) truly un-matched. I know people say it was akin to UO but I never played that so I don't know.

• corwinn1corwinn1 Member Posts: 2

After all these years I still have tons of great memories of SWG.  I had to move on after NGE but I know that I will raise a glass for all of the good times, when the servers do shut down.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I have a lot of memories of Precu SWG, both triumphs and defeats.  Having played many mmos since, I can say easily that the memories and friendships I built there were stronger than in any other game since.  That's not to say that Precu SWG was better than any game since, only that it fit me better.

Things I miss...I miss my friends ofcourse, my dog Lucky, my ton ton Shotgun, my big giant fluffy rabbit from Rori ( I forgot her name).  I miss the city I lived in, I had a choice spot across the cantina and in eye's view of our town's shuttleport.  I miss the city before that I founded with three close friends and the joy and pride we had watching it grow.  I miss the raids into the neighboring town.  I miss my nemesis, who used to wear that damned orange jumpsuit, and whenever I saw that damn gaudy thing out of the corner of my eye, I knew I was in trouble.  I like how we finally became friends.  I remember one time during a huge reb/imp fight, how he ran up to the hill I was sitting on and we sat down together, reb and imp and watched the carnage below together.  It was kind of....romantic with the sunset and all, hehe.

I miss exploring planets, killing exotic creatures, and stumbling on a really good weapon or armor shop with decent prices.

I miss the drama and the adventure that was SWG.  I miss my characters who became virtual extensions of me, shades of myself in the digital world.