Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR "Might Slip to 2012"

What do you guys think of this?

Link: Source

*EDIT* My thoughts:  It's really good that they appear to be taking their time.  My only hope is that this isn't a sign of lack of confidence in how close they are to release.  Let's hope this just makes more of a quality game.

*EDIT 2* Clarifications for some:  The title says "Might slip", so I understand they aren't saying it will slip to 2012.  Also, I am not bringing this fourth saying it's something to panic over or take as gospel.  I'm simply asking interpretations of this, thanks! I'm sure we all figured this would happen...but I'm asking for what your thoughts are about if it does.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

Comments

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Excalaber2

Source:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1195988p1.html?RSSwhen2011-09-22_084000&RSSid=1195988&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fpc+%28IGN+PC%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

pretty sure there was something about that posted yesterday and Bioware telling EA to shut their whore mouth for spreading lies.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

Being Selfish I hope it does, cos right now my PC will not run the game, but after xmas I should have something better .

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Haha yeah....they basically said tihs shouldn't have gone public.  Although it sounds more like trying to put out a potential fire and going towards the "What was officially said and not said" direction.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

They haven't hid the fact it may slip to 1st quarter of 2012. It was news during the summer, not now.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Reid seems perfectly clear on this:

"There is absolutely no change to our previous messaging with this statement. We are in active and extensive testing for The Old Republic. We're aiming to release the game in the holiday 2011 window (or, before the end of the year, to speak in non-American for a minute)," Reid added. "However, as with any large and complex game project, there's always the possibility of slippage. Always. That is why we have always said we're aiming for that window, because it's possible that unforeseen issues may push the date. Eric Brown is doing what he's paid to do - letting investors know that the possibility exists. A possibility doesn't mean a certainty."

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Link: Source

*EDIT* My thoughts:  It's really good that they appear to be taking their time.  My only hope is that this isn't a sign of lack of confidence in how close they are to release.  Let's hope this just makes more of a quality game.

This "news" is three or four weeks old. Some here on mmorp posted a link that quote the EA CFO as making that statement. It is NOT a statement that the game WILL be launched later then 2011 but a warning to investors that there is a POSSIBILITY that it could slip. That is pretty much standard operating procedure for any publicly held company. So, don't read too much into it. We have known all along that BW has stated they are "shooting for" a holiday 2011 release but that the game would not launch until they were satisfied it was ready. No big deal IMHO.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Kabaal

They haven't hid the fact it may slip to 1st quarter of 2012. It was news during the summer, not now.

The article is the CFO speaking to investors which I thought was significant.  Also they stated possibility of not giving a release date until end of october.  I didn't remember hearing that previously.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

I think it would be brilliant if it slipped to say December or Jan. At least that way we'll have time to play other games.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.

Hmmm.. it seems like some users are thinking that I'm misunderstanding.  Let me clarify in the original post.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

What's the point?

Get the game out asap, get as much dough as you can with initial sales, deal with the losses, f2p plan commence and move on to the next project.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Originally posted by Razephon

I think it would be brilliant if it slipped to say December or Jan. At least that way we'll have time to play other games.

I agree that there is just too much coming out this holiday season to be excited about! (not MMO wise) Definitely one of the pros of pushing it back.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

The article is the CFO speaking to investors which I thought was significant.  Also they stated possibility of not giving a release date until end of october.  I didn't remember hearing that previously.

No change in tone or message, it's the exact same message as was heard at the corporate meeting in May or something.

That said, if beta stress tests aren't picked up within the next 2-3 weeks, then I seriously think that release will be in Q1 of 2012 and not this year.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

This is the same line they used when they were talking about a Spring 2011 release (remember that)? They're aiming for holiday 2011, but 2012 is still a possibility. Which means unless everything falls perfectly into place, 2012 is when the game is coming out.  Since they already had problems with the weekend beta testing it looks like 2012 is the safe bet.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Fratman

This is the same line they used when they were talking about a Spring 2011 release (remember that)? They're aiming for holiday 2011, but 2012 is still a possibility. Which means unless everything falls perfectly into place, 2012 is when the game is coming out.  Since they already had problems with the weekend beta testing it looks like 2012 is the safe bet.

There is no safe bet on MMO launch dates. Heck, we even seen games far in beta testing that just got cancelled. That Rome game have even been canelled once during beta only to be ressurected again a year later.

Only death and taxes are safe bets, and possibly some kind of war in the middle east.

• Archangel326Archangel326 Member Posts: 43

I do not think they had any problems with the weekend beta tests. I think it went so well that the decided to go ahead with the next step in the beta program. So now they are trying to get the next beta build set up. IMO the beta was going VERY well.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

IF it does and it's because they still have issues to iron out, more power to them.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• If it releases next year...fine. If that means one or two fewer bugs, then great. What the hell ever.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

I hope it does slip to 2012, maybe until March 2012, maybe Bioware announces something worth to check out. I will be busy playing single player games anyway.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The only way I can see the release slipping significantly is if they decide to make a major alteration to the game, such as scrapping the space combat system and starting again from scratch. If they decide to stick with what they got, I think the game is just about ready to release now.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Actually they said january, not 1st quarter. But when they said january i immediately knew the game was going to be published spring 2012 or later.

• fatherdeath7fatherdeath7 Member UncommonPosts: 47

I think everyone is ready for release.. but the fact remains it will come out when it does.. and all the complaining either way dont matter at all...

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Metentso

Actually they said january, not 1st quarter. But when they said january i immediately knew the game was going to be published spring 2012 or later.

Do you have a quote regarding January? From what I recall from that conference meeting earlier this year was stated clearly Q1 2012 as a window that there was a slim chance that they might slip into, not the month January. As for the rest, you may speculate about spring 2012 or later or 2013 or whatever, I guess we'll find out how far off you were with your guessing automatically in the months to come image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• aero2664aero2664 Member UncommonPosts: 7

GameStops release date has chenged from 1/3/12 to 11/22/11!

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

To be honest, it should be delayed if they have final issues to iron out. It won't hurt them too much; there's a slew of great games coming out "holiday 2011". People will be divided and won't be able to play TOR as much anyways.

In fact, it'd be funny if TOR came out 3/6/12 (the release date of ME3).

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Sure, release the game in January when I go back to college.  Do they offer 9 day sub plans?