Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still lagging on good hardware normal?

LexiteLexite Member UncommonPosts: 165

Hey nguys, is it normal im still lagging on good hardware? it seem that whatever settings i put, im still getting like 30 fps max. is there any graphic options i should disable?

thanks

my comp infos are in my sig

I7 920 @ 2.7ghz (8 cpu total)
12 gig DDR3 ram
Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX TI
window 7 64bit

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Lexite

Hey nguys, is it normal im still lagging on good hardware? it seem that whatever settings i put, im still getting like 30 fps max. is there any graphic options i should disable?

The engine is not that great sadly and in some zones it is worse than others. Lowering the settings helps a bit but also makes the game rather ugly.

EQ2 is a good game but SOEs programmers never really optimized it, it is worst in cities but rarely a problem in instances.

Also for some reason did I have severe lag problems on the EU servers, it was unplayable on them. When I tried the US ones it got a lot better but I still get around 30 now and less in cities. Ok, it was 6 months ago since I quit the game but it was more or less the same for many years except Neriak that was the worst of them all, at least they fixed it up a little 2 years ago or so.

• LexiteLexite Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by Loke666

The engine is not that great sadly and in some zones it is worse than others. Lowering the settings helps a bit but also makes the game rather ugly.

EQ2 is a good game but SOEs programmers never really optimized it, it is worst in cities but rarely a problem in instances.

Also for some reason did I have severe lag problems on the EU servers, it was unplayable on them. When I tried the US ones it got a lot better but I still get around 30 now and less in cities. Ok, it was 6 months ago since I quit the game but it was more or less the same for many years except Neriak that was the worst of them all, at least they fixed it up a little 2 years ago or so.

haha im currently playing in neriak.. ive lowered the settings but like youve said the game is uglier. im trying it on the Xtended version before i buy it on the live realm but the lags are pissing me off.. the game is running smooth as hell exept the FPS.. i can have 60 steady but sometime im dropping to 25

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

thanks

It might be honoring vsync, in which case anything less than 60 drops to 30 because of waiting for refresh.

Things to try:

Check the game to see if there's an option to ignore vsync.  If so, try it.

Check the game to see if it allows you to set the fullscreen refresh rate.  Norms that I've seen are 60 and 75.  Higher the better if hardware supports it.

Check the video card's control panel and see if you can over-ride waiting for refresh.  If so, try it.

Might help, shouldn't hurt.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I was actually surprised to see how few polys are being loaded at one time .Game bytes are quite low for a game of this magnitude almost the same as my ut99 which is a very low poly game with no shaders,no mobs.So i am assuming that not much is getting loaded which is why you don't get much improvement on the settings,only Shaders and full screen give real notiveable ones.

You can hit the advanced tab at top right when in performance and try turning everything down like view distance ,low-medium textuires ect ect.Tuirn shadows right off and i think was even a fauna check.

IMO this game was thrown together sloppy and SOE takes no pride on goign back to fix thge problems.I can clearly see many mapping mistakes and some huge lag spikes on zone lines,typical of Vanguard.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

actually for example, right now im in neriak. when im killing some elemental everything seems to be ok. when i turn around and look at the town, my framerate are dropping like crazy.

also, i keep getting a popup asking me my zip code when opening the Station cash store

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

Sorry for 2 bump in a row

Alright so ive did some tests. with graphic at high and shadows on maximum and everything.. the lowest i got was 28 frame in neriak in the starting town.

ive notice THE thing that bother me and make me think the game lags. The character animation while running seems clunky. the character seems to lag when running. the game does not stutter or lag but the character seem to move strangely, and it give the feeling that the game lags.

is there an option ingame that could fix the animation problem? ive put the animation cranked up to the max but it did not fix the problem

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Alright so ive did some tests. with graphic at high and shadows on maximum and everything.. the lowest i got was 28 frame in neriak in the starting town.

ive notice THE thing that bother me and make me think the game lags. The character animation while running seems clunky. the character seems to lag when running. the game does not stutter or lag but the character seem to move strangely, and it give the feeling that the game lags.

is there an option ingame that could fix the animation problem? ive put the animation cranked up to the max but it did not fix the problem

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but in regards to running animations, SOE has significantly increased the base running speed from what it was when the game was released.  Of course, the animations were not updated, so running around looks incredibly choppy.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but in regards to running animations, SOE has significantly increased the base running speed from what it was when the game was released.  Of course, the animations were not updated, so running around looks incredibly choppy.

Thanks, lol thats must be it. I found my character to be running extremely fast. it must be why i find the running animation extremly laggy and choppy.. damn SOE

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

Hmm, you could try using the alternative character models...

28 FPS in Neriak is pretty good. Neriak is BTW the only place in a game where my SSD did a noticable difference in FPS, last I check I was somewhere around there too and my Machine is pretty overkill, EQ2 is the worst performance I had in any game.

Animation do look somewhat clunky, and it looks worse for some races than others. As for darkelves at least I think the animations looks better if you decrease the size of your character (you can do it at the barber), but it might just be me.

Thanks, lol thats must be it. I found my character to be running extremely fast. it must be why i find the running animation extremly laggy and choppy.. damn SOE

Oh, yes. Now when you say it, did the animations look a lot stranger for my darkelf dirge than to my half elf Swashie... Dirges run fast.

One way to solve that is getting a nice mount.

Hmm, you could try using the alternative character models...

28 FPS in Neriak is pretty good. Neriak is BTW the only place in a game where my SSD did a noticable difference in FPS, last I check I was somewhere around there too and my Machine is pretty overkill, EQ2 is the worst performance I had in any game.

Animation do look somewhat clunky, and it looks worse for some races than others. As for darkelves at least I think the animations looks better if you decrease the size of your character (you can do it at the barber), but it might just be me.

Ive been messing around with a human female in neriak.. and the legs are so messy lol.its almost like she sliding because she is running too fast

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

Oh, yes. Now when you say it, did the animations look a lot stranger for my darkelf dirge than to my half elf Swashie... Dirges run fast.

One way to solve that is getting a nice mount.

haha, we are 3 buyng the game and starting from scratch for the second time and i exactly said that to my friends, i guess we all need to spent a little money and buy a nice mount ASAP

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

haha, we are 3 buyng the game and starting from scratch for the second time and i exactly said that to my friends, i guess we all need to spent a little money and buy a nice mount ASAP

The nightmare is very nice but I fear you will have to start with one of those ponies.

If one of you starts and get the second guy as someone you recruit youll get a pretty good mount for free (and he get some other nice stuff and bonus XP), and then he can do it to the 3rd guy. That means you have to pool gold for the 3rd guy or let him play a fay (they fly so running doesn't matter).

http://everquest2.com/community/recruit-a-friend

The nightmare is very nice but I fear you will have to start with one of those ponies.

If one of you starts and get the second guy as someone you recruit youll get a pretty good mount for free (and he get some other nice stuff and bonus XP), and then he can do it to the 3rd guy. That means you have to pool gold for the 3rd guy or let him play a fay (they fly so running doesn't matter).

http://everquest2.com/community/recruit-a-friend

if i buy one of those nice mount from the store, can i use them from lvl 1?

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

if i buy one of those nice mount from the store, can i use them from lvl 1?

Never bought one myself but unless it have a level restriction on it (in that case it should say so) no problem. The free you get from recruit a friend works for any level at least.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

yes since this is a processor heavy game( was meant to be played with a 6 gigahertz futur proc since computer went paralllele gpu soe has tried to get it inline but still is same as it was at lunch lag a lot for little good graphic wise

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

thanks

OC your cpu. Trust me, I pushed mine to 4.0 and I'm 50x satisfied. I went from 10fps in RIFT on medium, to 80 fps on max with full anti aliasing. Your card is good, but your processor can go muchhhhhhh faster. 

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

EDIT: I have an i7 920 as well. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Originally posted by drbaltazar

yes since this is a processor heavy game( was meant to be played with a 6 gigahertz futur proc since computer went paralllele gpu soe has tried to get it inline but still is same as it was at lunch lag a lot for little good graphic wise

That is not entirely true. They did add multi core support 3 years ago and it actually helped performance (before they did it actually run better on my old P4 than my quad).

It is still very CPU heavy compared to most games but that is because they also thought that CPUs wouldn't leave all graphical work to the GPU.

Everquest 2 actually runs on a updated Everquest 1 engine, and that is probably the main issue. At least EQ3 will get a new engine and finally wont have zooning.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This game would've run fine on a calculator if it was properly optimised.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Played EQ2 extended a while ago and had Vsync capped fps on super ultra insane settings.

i7 2600k @4.7ghz GTX580

My friend played on a 2600k stock and also said he was fine. <- Maybe he was full of sht tho I cant tell for sure lol

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

First thing I would lower is draw distance.. I have found it to have the biggest hit in performance without much visual gain. With everything maxxed I get ~25+ fps depending on the area and with the draw distance lowered I get 40-80fps no matter where or whats going on ( except for the Temple of Life in NQ.. those particles kill my frames for some reason ).

Originally posted by psyknx

Played EQ2 extended a while ago and had Vsync capped fps on super ultra insane settings.

i7 2600k @4.7ghz GTX580

My friend played on a 2600k stock and also said he was fine. <- Maybe he was full of sht tho I cant tell for sure lol

So your saying that you have played this game with one of the best CPU availible OCed like crazy mixed up with the best graphic card you can get right now for gaming, and it was ok,whats the point of this reply?

12 gig DDR3 ram
    window 7 64bit

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Cause it says good hardware in the title.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

EQ2 has never been a well-optimized nor well-performing game engine overall. I believe it goes back to them originally trying to design the game around some new CPU Intel was working on, which ultimately never came out.

They also never took proper advantage of newer video cards and kept a lot of the processing on the CPU (perhaps as part of the above mentioned bit).

Instead of trying to optimize the engine and make it run better, they just kept  adding more crap on to it. I know they implemented Shader 3.0 into the game, but it looks horrible.. especially compared to other games that use it.

Some patches they've implemented over time have greatly improved performance, only to have a subsequent one hurt performance again.

In all, EQ2's development throughout its lifetime has been a schizophrenic roller-coaster of ups and downs, sudden lefts and jarring rights. The main reason I've seen, from my experience in the game, is because SOE has had no core focus on what they wanted *their* game to be, but instead spent all that time hopping from bandwagon to bandwagon, mimicking and implementing whatever someone else was doing (the most common "someone else" being WoW").

Hell, the game was barely out a couple months and they immediately started revamping huge chunks of the game once they saw how well WoW was doing. I think it was stated best in an open letter written to SOE (I think it might have been Wolfshead online.. but I'm not 100% on that), which basically stated that it was time for them to become a leader in the industry and not merely a "me-too" follower... which is exactly what they've been doing.

What does all this have to do with the lagging and engine performance? Well, the fact that it's been an issue, in one way or another, since the game launched, yet they've never made it a serious priority to address it in all those years. They've revised and revamped other areas of the game, some more than once.. but the overall game performance and their unoptimized engine was never a priority for them. Probably 'cause that bandwagon never passed them by.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

The problem with Everquest 2 is that it wasn't future proof, meaning they didn't design it around multiple cpu's because back in 2003 nobody knew the future and they simpley thought that in the future we would have 7 or 8ghz single core cpu's. so a 4.5ghz single core cpu works better than a 3.2 dual core.