Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlefield 3 Open Beta 29th September - Now Live

KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Edit - Open beta now live.

Nvidia beta drivers for up to 38% performance improvement http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.38-beta-driver.html

Battlelog site where you join servers from, view your soldier stats etc http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/

I only noticed this when looking at Stephen Ried's twitter last night. Multiplayer open beta starts up on 29th September on all 3 platforms and runs for a month.

Granted it's only 1 map (I think) but at least it's finally something new to fill the time until it and some of the other titles release in the next wee while.

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

If you've pre-ordered the game via Origin or got early access with Medal of Honor you'll get an email tellling you how to get into the beta 48 hours early on the 27th.

Comments

• VenekorVenekor Member Posts: 62

When I bought MoH it said Early Beta access last year and now they're saying Origin LE only.........

Oh well only 2 days, must be pissed off it's only 2 days as well lol.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

Makes sense. A Multiplayer Demo did wonders for Battlefield 1942. However, it appears(from the Beta Site anyway)  they are making a major error in featuring an infantry heavy if not  an infantry exclusive map. Just another example that they sacrificing what made them special to capture the CoD market. The map should be gigantic and full of vehicles to draw a line in the sand. Damn shame.

• wombinator04wombinator04 Member UncommonPosts: 11

Can't wait.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I don't care much for the beta right now.  The game for me is going to come one way or another.  Besides, I got a slew fo games to play right now anyways.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

can't wait to play it !!!

I'm a big shooter fan and Battlefield is my favorite, i got the preorder as soon as i could. My hype for this beta and the release is just growing hehe

But while the game dont comes out i'm playing Red Orchestra 2, a pretty good game WW2 themed.

Didn't want to start a topic all for this tidbit of news, but I just found out that BF3 will have no Commander slot (February's initial news of it) for a team.  WTF?  DICE's reasonings for its removal are pathetic.  Commander was one of those defining things that seperated BF2 and BF2142 from the rest in the FPS genre.

The excuse DICE gave for its removal?   Because the play where Commanders hide out in a corner of a map and fully get absorbed into the role?  Its playstyle was very different from anything else in the games, yet it was very powerful (call artillery, drop supplies, call UAVs, respond to Squad Leader requests for support).  And at the same time, despite this power, not everyone jumped on being Commander.  Yet there was always 1 that was quite happy in the role (between 64 players, there was at the very least 1 per team that always wanted Commander for their side).

Weak, just weak.  Removes one of the very defining roles of BF.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by Warmaker

Didn't want to start a topic all for this tidbit of news, but I just found out that BF3 will have no Commander slot (February's initial news of it) for a team.  WTF?  DICE's reasonings for its removal are pathetic.  Commander was one of those defining things that seperated BF2 and BF2142 from the rest in the FPS genre.

The excuse DICE gave for its removal?   Because the play where Commanders hide out in a corner of a map and fully get absorbed into the role?  Its playstyle was very different from anything else in the games, yet it was very powerful (call artillery, drop supplies, call UAVs, respond to Squad Leader requests for support).  And at the same time, despite this power, not everyone jumped on being Commander.  Yet there was always 1 that was quite happy in the role (between 64 players, there was at the very least 1 per team that always wanted Commander for their side).

Weak, just weak.  Removes one of the very defining roles of BF.

I felt the exact same way when I learned about that. Then my friend said Commander role didn't exist in the Bad Company series? (I never played so I can't confirm).

I don't feel that Battlefield 3 is really a sequal to Battlefield 2. I'm starting to think of it as just a pumped up version of the Bad Company series. Or, maybe a mix of BF2 and BC.

• Vlad_TepesVlad_Tepes Member Posts: 47

Hopefully in the future if the players want it they will put it back in. It was a cool concept. When it worked, when you had a smart commander, it worked well. When you got some idiot griefer in the role dropping stuff nowhere near where it was needed, doing nothing, directing players to ambushes because he was on vent with his friends and they were on the other team, etc, it was a drag.

I loved it myself, and hope they bring it back. But I'd rather see it put in from a class prespective. Supply Sgt, Arty Commander, Squard Leaders, Company Commander, etc. That way we'd see the guys in the battle, not hiding on the edge of the map. Kinda like a well organized ARMA 2 clan. I guess the clans that form could do that themselves, but it would be so much nicer to see it worked into the game. ARMA 2, though not for everyone, is awesome in this regard, organized squads, recon groups, air assault teams, medics attached to infantry squads, pilots that love to just run others into battle, air wings, etc. I've never seen anything else like it outside that game once you find a good group of people. 

Time to start hunting for a good BF3 group I guess.

Here's the thing:  The guys that played Commander never complained about it.  I never had problems with it as a shooter.  If they were a bad commander, then someone on the team could initiate a mutiny with vote yes/no by all in the team.  If the vote was bad enough, the commander was fired out of the slot.  Simple as that.

When I played Commander, I got fully absorbed in the role.  Looking at the overall map, watching progress, sorting info from all the info / spotted targets my team makes, and allocating support wherever necessary.  It f*cking worked.  If DICE wanted to really change it, then make it so the Commander was off-map or gets to stay in a bonafide HQ / Company Command Post.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Open beta literally just went up on the origin client a few minutes ago. Spam click "Free Games" a couple of times if it's not showing and it should work.

3.9GB client and download speed is half decent  around 4MB/s