Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Trek Online: Dan Stahl Quits Cryptic

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,596MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Star Trek Online executive producer Dan Stahl will be leaving Cryptic Studios next week according to a report at Gamasutra. Stahl's final day is September 30th, at which point he will leave to "pursue new challenges".

Cryptic CTO Stephen D’Angelo will be taking on the producer duties on Stahl's departure.

Read the full report at Gamasutra.

image

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

image
«13

Comments

  • nyxiumnyxium ManchesterPosts: 1,221Member Uncommon

     


    Capt. Kirk: Computer, destruct sequence 1, code 1, 1-A.


     


    Scotty: Computer, Commander Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineering Officer, destruct sequence 2, code 1, 1-A, 2-B.


     


    Chekov: Computer, this is Commander Pavel Chekov, Acting Science Officer, destruct sequence 3, code 1-B, 2-B, 3.


     


    Computer: Destruct sequence completed and engaged, awaiting final code for one minute countdown.


     


    Capt. Kirk: Code zero, zero, zero...destruct...zero.


     


    Computer: Destruct sequence is activated.

    image
  • D_TOXD_TOX Brighton.Posts: 269Member Uncommon

    Now we just need the rest of his kronies at Cryptic to leave and rid us of their stupidity. 

  • GruugGruug Chillicothe, ILPosts: 1,311Member Uncommon

    Interesting that Dan is leaving just before STO goes F2P. Even though he says he supports and always supported a move to f2p, I just wonder if new owners at Perfect Worlds didn't like what they were paying him and asked him to leave. This does not bode well for STO. STO has come a long ways under Dan's leadership since he took over. I just don't see it continuing.

    Let's party like it is 1863!

  • shinobi234shinobi234 Bronx, NYPosts: 437Member

    is this right he left :( well that dont bold so well :(

    .....

  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Dublin, GAPosts: 329Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Gruug

    Interesting that Dan is leaving just before STO goes F2P. Even though he says he supports and always supported a move to f2p, I just wonder if new owners at Perfect Worlds didn't like what they were paying him and asked him to leave. This does not bode well for STO. STO has come a long ways under Dan's leadership since he took over. I just don't see it continuing.


     

    Apparently it has nothing to do with that:

    " I've been given the opportunity to start the next chapter in my career that allows me to combine many of my past experiences into something new. It will also allow my family to move into San Francisco where my beautiful Fiancee Kimberly has worked for years. "

    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3766591#post3766591

    Cant blame him either. When better job opportunities open up you should take them.

  • TalonsinTalonsin Posts: 1,468Member Uncommon

    Having two EP's leave in a year and a half really says something about Cryptic and STO.  Obviously all we get to see is the PR spin that these guys have to put on things as part of their separation packages.  It seems an odd time for Dan to be leaving "on his own" with a new company buying Cryptic and it going F2P very soon. 

     

    I dont find this unusual given that PW just bought them out and we all know changes are coming like jacked-up prices in the C-store and such.  What really freaked me out was that Jack E brought back Zinc as COO.  That was a terrible move, Zinc was the brainiac responsible for many of the terrible choices made to STO like having 15 different types of currency and releasing the Klingons with very little content.

     

    Dan and the rest of Cryptic can blow all the smoke up our rears they want but seeing two EPs leave, the CEO and "Dollar" Bill Roper all jumping ship in about 18 months, tells us this company is not run or performing very well.  The top guys at a company dont all just start leaving because its a great place to work and everyone is making lots of money and getting along very well...

     

     I dont have much hope for a turn around with PW.  My opinion is they will strip Cryptic down, throw in a crazy cash shop and milk it for as long as they can.  Sorry to hear about Dan leaving, he did what he could with the crap he got stuck with.

    Good luck out there Dan!

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member

    Originally posted by Talonsin

    Having two EP's leave in a year and a half really says something about Cryptic and STO. 

    I agree.  Too bad for Cryptic that he is leaving as it is very much their loss.  I wish him all the best in his future endeavors.

     

    PWI will have to continue updates and such if they want to keep the game afloat.  Who knows?  A year from now STO may have really turned around.  I personally doubt it though.

  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Dublin, GAPosts: 329Member Uncommon







    Originally posted by Talonsin





    Dan and the rest of Cryptic can blow all the smoke up our rears they want but seeing two EPs leave, the CEO and "Dollar" Bill Roper all jumping ship in about 18 months, tells us this company is not run or performing very well.  The top guys at a company dont all just start leaving because its a great place to work and everyone is making lots of money and getting along very well...






     




    That sounds like a really great theory...except for the fact that Craig Zinc came back to the company. I dont see why he would do that if things were as bad as you think.









     




     

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member

    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

    That sounds like a really great theory...except for the fact that Craig Zinc came back to the company.

    He had to... no one else would have him image

  • TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member

    ....so NOW can I have my t5 connie refit, for f#$#@ sake.

     

    These guys are idiots.  They have one of the most beloved IP's and look what they did with it.  They create a game where you can not even use the most iconic space ship in all of science fiction.  Why didn't you idiots make a Star Trek game before space flight, that would have made as much sense.

     

    This game sucks, worst birthday present ever.

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member

    Originally posted by Terranah

    ....so NOW can I have my t5 connie refit, for f#$#@ sake.

    It will be there eventually .... for $25 in the C-Store image


  • Originally posted by Terranah

    They have one of the most beloved IP's and look what they did with it.  

    I think paramount had a lot to do with it as well.  They just don't understand the value of the IP and consistently trash it.

  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Dublin, GAPosts: 329Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by zaxxon23

    Originally posted by Terranah

    They have one of the most beloved IP's and look what they did with it.  

    I think paramount had a lot to do with it as well.  They just don't understand the value of the IP and consistently trash it.


     

    Just a clarification: Cryptic's deal is with CBS, not Paramount. Back in 2006 the Star Trek IP was divided between CBS(the TV series) and Paramount(the movies). So CBS is the one that is involved with STO.

  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Virginia beach, VAPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

    Why is it that as soon as someone moves on to another job the mmo community automatic makes fail doom and gloom posts. "OMG the game is truly fail if x and x left" or "he must not like whats going on in the game". They automatically ass-sume that something is wrong with the game or the worst. Sometimes its true, but not in all cases. Maybe the guy did a good job at Cryptic and decided to move on. Until Dan Stahl says different that's the way Im lookin at it.

    ***Raises plunger in salute to Dan Stahl***

    All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: SWTOR, ESO, WOT, and Marvel Heroes

  • AlexTaldrenAlexTaldren Washington, DC, MDPosts: 21Member



    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

    Why is it that as soon as someone moves on to another job the mmo community automatic makes fail doom and gloom posts. "OMG the game is truly fail if x and x left" or "he must not like whats going on in the game". They automatically ass-sume that something is wrong with the game or the worst. Sometimes its true, but not in all cases. Maybe the guy did a good job at Cryptic and decided to move on. Until Dan Stahl says different that's the way Im lookin at it.

    ***Raises plunger in salute to Dan Stahl***






     

    I've known something was wrong with STO way before this.

  • BarCrowBarCrow Tampa, FLPosts: 2,212Member

    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

    Why is it that as soon as someone moves on to another job the mmo community automatic makes fail doom and gloom posts. "OMG the game is truly fail if x and x left" or "he must not like whats going on in the game". They automatically ass-sume that something is wrong with the game or the worst. Sometimes its true, but not in all cases. Maybe the guy did a good job at Cryptic and decided to move on. Until Dan Stahl says different that's the way Im lookin at it.

    ***Raises plunger in salute to Dan Stahl***

    At the least Dan Stahl did a decent job with Cryptic...because he was able to get another, likely better job elsewhere. Having Cryptic on his resume didn't seem to turn anyone away.

  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Nooo, AKPosts: 1,781Member

    Yeah, cause this guy leaving means he's bound to be replaced by someone who's going to turn this game into something all the Trekkies will love.  Each and every one of them.

    Cause thats possible.



     

  • TalonsinTalonsin Posts: 1,468Member Uncommon



    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

    That sounds like a really great theory...except for the fact that Craig Zinc came back to the company. I dont see why he would do that if things were as bad as you think.




    Nagus...  How is Zinc coming back any indication of what it is like to work at Cryptic?  Maybe he could not find another job, I mean seriously, STO is not a very respected game in the developer world and has lost money from day one.   My question to you is, does it not mean anything when two EP's, the CEO and other top level execs all leave a company in a short (18 month) period?  Is this your idea of a company running at its peak?

     

     



     

  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Dublin, GAPosts: 329Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Talonsin

    Nagus...  How is Zinc coming back any indication of what it is like to work at Cryptic?  Maybe he could not find another job

    The fact that the very reason Dan is leaving is because he is moving on to a better job is proof that working at Cryptic isnt some kind of black mark on your resume. Someone obviously wanted to hire him knowing full well where he worked previously. There is no reason to think Zinc was any different, unless you actually have some kind of proof of him not being able to find another job.

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member

    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

    The fact that the very reason Dan is leaving is because he is moving on to a better job is proof that working at Cryptic isnt some kind of black mark on your resume. Someone obviously wanted to hire him knowing full well where he worked previously. There is no reason to think Zinc was any different, unless you actually have some kind of proof of him not being able to find another job.

    Not sure that answers the question that was asked... two EP's, the CEO and other top level executives all leaving a company within a short timeframe does not convey the message of a "company doing well".  

  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Dublin, GAPosts: 329Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

    The fact that the very reason Dan is leaving is because he is moving on to a better job is proof that working at Cryptic isnt some kind of black mark on your resume. Someone obviously wanted to hire him knowing full well where he worked previously. There is no reason to think Zinc was any different, unless you actually have some kind of proof of him not being able to find another job.

    Not sure that answers the question that was asked... two EP's, the CEO and other top level executives all leaving a company within a short timeframe does not convey the message of a "company doing well".  


     

    I dont think there is any question that Cryptic was suffering under Atari's ownership. That is the owership in which the people you are talking about left. Once the deal with PW was underway Craig came back. As far as Dan's motivations for leaving at this point, he said:

     

    " I've been given the opportunity to start the next chapter in my career that allows me to combine many of my past experiences into something new. It will also allow my family to move into San Francisco where my beautiful Fiancee Kimberly has worked for years. "

    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3766591#post3766591

     

    But again, the people who left up to this point did so under Atari's ownership, which was obviously troubled.

     

  • waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,474Member Uncommon

    IMO, Cryptic hasn't been doing well at all.  City of Heroes was the best game they produced.  Champions Online was the spiritual sequel to CoH but wasn't recieved as well.  STO, give me a break.   Look, if you hate Atari then hate it but don't try this BS of blaming Cryptic's problems on Atari.  You can't get away with that here.

  • Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Dublin, GAPosts: 329Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by waynejr2

    IMO, Cryptic hasn't been doing well at all.  City of Heroes was the best game they produced.  Champions Online was the spiritual sequel to CoH but wasn't recieved as well.  STO, give me a break.   Look, if you hate Atari then hate it but don't try this BS of blaming Cryptic's problems on Atari.  You can't get away with that here.

    Why exactly is that? The only difference between COH and Champs/STO was Atari. So what makes you so certain that Atari had absolutely nothing to do with Cryptic's sudden change?

  • ArthineasArthineas Selinsgrove, PAPosts: 231Member

    I do not feel that Dan leaving Cryptic says anything bad about Cryptic at all.  Like Dan said, he is taking a job to be near his fiancee.  Family is ALWAYS more important then a job. 

    Personally I think PWE is a great thing for Cryptic.  If the way PWE treats Runic(the makers of Torchlight) is any indication of how PWE will treat Cryptic, they are in good hands.

    As a matter of fact Cryptic has already said that they are bringing more people on board. 


  • Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

    Just a clarification: Cryptic's deal is with CBS, not Paramount. Back in 2006 the Star Trek IP was divided between CBS(the TV series) and Paramount(the movies). So CBS is the one that is involved with STO.

    Thank you for clarifying.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.