Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Is Fatigue Setting In?

Comments

• bumuscheekusbumuscheekus Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by bumuscheekus

I have a shiny fat big 8 quid/15 dollars sitting in my piggy bank for a game worth the sub. Sadly I dont think a game where: being shot in the face 10 times with molten hot laser bolts has no effect on your fleshy mug; Consulars repeatedly pull the same identical ship engine out of the ground to bash peoples faces in or npcs can be clobbered over and over on the noggin with promethian lightsabres that have been presented from childhood to cut through reinforced ship hulls with little effort is not going to be it. 

Have you actually stopped and thought about how BAD of a MMORPG it would make to have all those things realistic in the game?

I have indeed badspock. What I propose (and this would work in both the normal universe and the evil alternative universe where badspock lives) is that they cover the bases through a modicum of creative thinking.

a) Gunfights: Instead of taking bolts to the face, you and npcs duck, weave and dodge behind cover to give a sense that things are not autmatically hit when you shoot them, not in a whack a mole sense but in a form that realistically represents the movies, even the main characters don't hit stormtroopers with every shot. Lower the percentage chance to hit, make cover more essential and increase the consequences for being hit. If outside cover it should be something akin to a fast draw type thing. Was this promised? Yes. Did they deliver? No, except for one class and even in that case cover is self-evidently not necessary

b) Variety in Consulars item pulling: really, no variety in items, what about having things come not out of the ground but from distance way off screen where not even other players behind you can see where it's coming from. It would work and it wouldn't ruin the immersion

c) Lightsabres: ok this is admittedly tough but I guess ducking a weaving and cover might help here too. Who knows it's worth a try and it might make the combat more believeable and less slapstick

It's not nitpicking btw, it's just a few examples of general issues with combat that ruins the immersion for me personally

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

It's entirely possible that the combined clout of both Lucas Arts and Bioware will be enough to keep EA in line here.

SWG is still a sore spot for Lucas....I doubt they would want yet another Star Wars MMORPG to "fail".

(disclaimer: not saying SWG was a failure....I loved it and played it for years....but it failed to meed LA's wow-like expectations.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I have indeed badspock. What I propose (and this would work in both the normal universe and the evil alternative universe where badspock lives) is that they cover the bases through a modicum of creative thinking.

a) Gunfights: Instead of taking bolts to the face, you and npcs duck, weave and dodge behind cover to give a sense that things are not autmatically hit when you shoot them, not in a whack a mole sense but in a form that realistically represents the movies, even the main characters don't hit stormtroopers with every shot. Lower the percentage chance to hit, make cover more essential and increase the consequences for being hit. If outside cover it should be something akin to a fast draw type thing. Was this promised? Yes. Did they deliver? No, except for one class and even in that case cover is self-evidently not necessary

b) Variety in Consulars items from groung: really, no variety in items, what about having things come not out of the ground but from distance way off screen where not even other players behind you can see where it's coming from. It would work and it wouldn't ruin the immersion

c) Lightsabres: ok this is admittedly tough but I guess ducking a weaving and cover might help here too. Who knows it's worth a try and it might make the combat more believeable and less slapstick

They have all of these things in the game already bumuscheekus, just apparently not to the point where you'd like it to be?

Cover and dodging and blocking/parry of blades/sabers - check.

Ground objects from Consulars - I do not know I have only ever seen the one thing - you may be right there.

If the player toons just dodged/missed/parried/blocked everything and then BAM went from full health to dead, what would the point be in having health? In having stats that raise health and levels and gear and resistances etc.?

All systems in a MMO are connected, you can't just change one thing and expect the game to still function properly.

What you propose requries a complete and total combat redesign.

Or would you be happy if heatlh bars still dropped but visually there were not "hits" till a person died?

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

Originally posted by udon

Originally posted by Thekandy

If each of the story lines are really 100+ hours long and of the same quality as ME2's I can see keeping myself occupided for sometime just on those while Bioware flushes out more content and better end game systems (If it even needs more than it already has, I don't know yet).  

The key for SW:TOR long term will be keeping the new content (solo, group, PVP, and raid) coming over time.  And not just a few new group/raid zones every few months, it needs to be a stream of new and interesting things for players to do being added to the game.  That's something no other game has managed to maintain after launch so we will see if Bioware and EA can keep the resources focused on the right areas here.

Um, Trion has done this with Rift and will continue to do this, and the game isnt even 6 months old yet. 

• agriffin85agriffin85 Member Posts: 64

I couldn't agree more.  I've been excited and hopeful for ToR for the last 2 years and I've been following it avidly since it was announced.  But, it's come to the point over the last couple month that I just can't bring myself to even check the website for the weekly updates anymore.  It just seems like they are making little to no progress to me.

I will definately be playing the game if it is ever released but at this point it's getting rediculous and I feel numb to the entire game.  Nothing Bioware says will get me excited about this game until I see a set-in-stone release date or open beta.

So for now all I can do is try to forget the game is even being developed (wich is admitedly easy considering that the game seems more like a myth at this point).  After 2 long years, it's just too painful to hope...

• face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Much like is already written, I plan to play, but it's like everything else in life, gets de-prioritized as it should be. That's alot of the problem with "hype", it's a let down for some people, as for myself, whatever, will just play something else for the time being and give it a shot when it comes.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think people need to learn how to manage their expectations. Some players approach these games with the zeal of an 8 year old kid and react in a similiar fashion when things don't go as they want.

It's ok to be excited but perhaps cutting back on some of the energy they invest in these announcements/games would be a more healthier way to live.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by agriffin85

I couldn't agree more.  I've been excited and hopeful for ToR for the last 2 years and I've been following it avidly since it was announced.  But, it's come to the point over the last couple month that I just can't bring myself to even check the website for the weekly updates anymore.  It just seems like they are making little to no progress to me.

I will definately be playing the game if it is ever released but at this point it's getting rediculous and I feel numb to the entire game.  Nothing Bioware says will get me excited about this game until I see a set-in-stone release date or open beta.

So for now all I can do is try to forget the game is even being developed (wich is admitedly easy considering that the game seems more like a myth at this point).  After 2 long years, it's just too painful to hope...

I'm in the closed beta.  {mod edit}

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Fratman

Part of the fatigue comes from the fact that TOR is an mmo and we all kinda know what to expect from it. So 3 years of forums, weekly updates, gaming cons, beta leaks, etc etc is overkill for something that really isn't new or mysterious. 

All TOR has to offer is story layered over an updated version of your basic mmo. That's not enough to sustain 3 years of build up. 

how would you know your not a fan to understand :). I know alot of people who are still happy for this game and look at pax..... nuf said >.>

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by agriffin85

I'm in the closed beta. {mod edit}

wow you in closed beta i hope you have fun :) congrats

They have all of these things in the game already bumuscheekus, just apparently not to the point where you'd like it to be?

Cover and dodging and blocking/parry of blades/sabers - check.

Ground objects from Consulars - I do not know I have only ever seen the one thing - you may be right there.

If the player toons just dodged/missed/parried/blocked everything and then BAM went from full health to dead, what would the point be in having health? In having stats that raise health and levels and gear and resistances etc.?

All systems in a MMO are connected, you can't just change one thing and expect the game to still function properly.

What you propose requries a complete and total combat redesign.

Or would you be happy if heatlh bars still dropped but visually there were not "hits" till a person died?

Yeah they do but they dont work very well do they. I know the company line, but every time I see a gameplay vid or see 'a friend' play the beta, all I see is pretty flawed combat with little innovation since about 10 years ago. Call me picky but they are pretty big issues if you want to feel like you're playing a game made in 2011 set in the star wars universe. I mean, how many years is it since knights of the old republic and you're telling me they couldn't have improved these issues since then? 

Lightsabre parrying doesn't work if you dont have a lightsabre and short of giving everyone and their grandmother one of them lateral thinking is needed.

Re. health bars, yes, I agree, there is no point in having healthbars. We've outgrown that concept too at this stage dont you think, time for some new ideas. One shot, no, how about grazing, getting hit needing a medic for wounds and being healed before you can be optimal again.   

And ofc I agree they can't rehaul combat, it far too late in the day for that. These are just hopes for what could have been.

Lets just hope the much-touted storyline can beguile players enough not to notice any of these things. 

• waits1972waits1972 Member Posts: 46

I don't think I can choke down another fantasy mmorpg.  I want a new genre to play.  I was hoping Champoins Online and/or Star Trek would be decent, not much luck there.  I had fun with CO for a few months but lost all interest when I hit the level cap. I'm looking forward to TOR, but holy hillbillies, get on with it!!!  Wildstar looks amazing!  But that's a long way day the road.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent game where I am not playing an elf or an orc?

Originally posted by shinobi234

I'm in the closed beta. 

{mod edit}

Thanks.....been playing since late August, and I am allowed to say this much:

{mod edit}

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

Im still looking forward to this Coop RPG, as I origonally looked forward to GW.  And I will anticipate SW:TOR2 as a mmorpg, when Bioware gets started on it, just as I anticipate GW2 more-so since it is a robust dynamic virtual world mmorpg.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Originally posted by shinobi234

I'm in the closed beta. 

{mod edit}

Thanks.....been playing since late August, and I am allowed to say this much:

{mod edit}

Ya, I ve had the privelage to be testing it as well. I agree with your sentiments. I do get entertained by people who aren t in it, and some of their comments, {mod edit}I can t get into it, but it s entertaining :)

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Huh, still no release date? 

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think people need to learn how to manage their expectations. Some players approach these games with the zeal of an 8 year old kid and react in a similiar fashion when things don't go as they want.

Ye see man, that's the problem. We've all played games where we instantly felt they'd really moved the bar on and got it right. And age has nothing else to do with it, you can still be pleasently surprised at 95. I regard game design should have the same respect and standard as being a pretty damn fine art of versimilitude and when it's done well I think it's when developers have that kind of zeal too and give it that extra 10% it needs to make it truly special. When people say things like we shouldn't expect too much it allows them to fall short of what is possible and tolerate a lot less than could be delivered.  

• WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

The fatigue is, in my opinion, caused by their extremely bad way of releasing information. Releasing that much information as early as they did only caused the insane hype to dwindle when they couldn't present anything new at the big conventions this year. No wonder people begin to look elsewhere when they can't keep up with the hype and start releasing developer walkthroughs on how they make developer walkthroughs on topics any MMO players are more than familiar with...

I'm really looking forward to play the game. And it's going to be great! However, I'm not as hyped as a year ago....

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I was pretty excited at first but it's pretty much in last place on my list for new releases. The game I'm truly hyped over is GW2. I wasn't a huge fan of the first but the second looks quite promising. :)

Bioware's inability to settle on a launch date and announce it is certainly a large factor in my dwindling interest. No doubt that I will play the game at some point, but am I waiting with extreme antiscipation? No. Not anymore.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Williac

The fatigue is, in my opinion, caused by their extremely bad way of releasing information. Releasing that much information as early as they did only caused the insane hype to dwindle when they couldn't present anything new at the big conventions this year. No wonder people begin to look elsewhere when they can't keep up with the hype and start releasing developer walkthroughs on how they make developer walkthroughs on topics any MMO players are more than familiar with...

I'm really looking forward to play the game. And it's going to be great! However, I'm not as hyped as a year ago....

For me this is spot on. Was just about type something very much along these lines. Just going to add my own thoughts I think the bio boys should just shut up for a little bit and then hit us with something big just before the release to rekindle some intrest. I really do think there has been too much talking now. It's not just the adverts and the periodic info updates that is making me a little jaded. It's the boards here as well. Watching the same old thread topics going round and round for the last two years. If I see Dallas Dickinsons face again before the game is out I sware I am going to stab somebody. My messege to Bioware would be; For starters concentrate on finnishing the game and getting it out. Secondly stfu! That goes double for any of you who are thinking of starting another Tor will be crap/Tor will be awsome thread. I will find you and I will cut you.;)

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I am super stoked for this game, just not as much. Replaying Oblivion in anticiaption of Skyrim has made that the game I am most looking forward to. I probably won't even play TOR until I have exhausted Skyrim. I just don't have enough time to play all the game I already have, let alone all the great games coming out!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

We had a flurry of game info released, gameplay video's, etc. All of this generated volumes of forum discussion, raising the profile of the game. The hype was driven to a fever pitch, and then... Pre-Order sales are announced !

Then after a short lull, the beta-weekend announcement again resulted in much forum activity.

Then after another lull, the indefinite cancellation of beta-weekends again had the forums aflame !

Now the game has gone dark... and everyone is speculating as to what's going on.

Is this the most professionally hyped game in MMO history ? :)

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I think fatigue set in long ago... just about every friday update that didn't net any good information, people realized how taxing trying to get hyped up every friday for nothing was.... and some of the big shows didn't really help either.

I have a number of RL friends looking forward to SWTOR. They aren't really hyped about it, until I start talking about it... but if it weren't for me,  all they would know about is a BioWare KOTOR MMO.. and a few simple features.    

Just last night in a GoW3 session,  I was talking with two of them about it,  and they asked,  when the release date is.  I told them soon.   The reply was... "just tell us when".      I think thats the basic consensus right now.  If it weren't for my being able to play it beforehand,  I would be in the same boat.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Sovrath

Ye see man, that's the problem. We've all played games where we instantly felt they'd really moved the bar on and got it right. And age has nothing else to do with it, you can still be pleasently surprised at 95. I regard game design should have the same respect and standard as being a pretty damn fine art of versimilitude and when it's done well I think it's when developers have that kind of zeal too and give it that extra 10% it needs to make it truly special. When people say things like we shouldn't expect too much it allows them to fall short of what is possible and tolerate a lot less than could be delivered.  

Again, I don't see anything wrong with getting excited about a game or even getting angry when they ruin it. Within reason.

The issue here is that people are investing an inordinate amount of energy into these games and the idea of getting fatigued or angry or anxious because a release date hasn't been given seems a bit silly.

It's their job to make sure that their game is kept in the public's consciousness and it's our job to put things in perspective with our own lives.

When it comes out it comes out. If people are experiencing all these negative emotions because of this then they need to reassess how they handle this stuff. That's my opinion but looking at the wide array of emotional responses I've seen on forums over the past months i think that it isn't far off the mark.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo