Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would suggest staying far away from this game.

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Asheram

So is mmorpg in Merriam Webster's now?How does one set themselves up as a judge of what it either fits or does not anyhow?

Perhaps by taking into account that the GW's devs said it wasn't?

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by Dinendae

Originally posted by Asheram

So is mmorpg in Merriam Webster's now?How does one set themselves up as a judge of what it either fits or does not anyhow?

Perhaps by taking into account that the GW's devs said it wasn't?

It doesn't matter what the devs of Guild Wars claim that Guild Wars is or is not.  They could claim that it is an action-based game.  Would that mean that you would believe them?  Because, they'd be wrong with that statement.

Fact remains, Guild Wars fits the definition of an mmorpg perfectly.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by DarLorkar

The game can be fun for a while. And might be worth the time and cash for a month or 2 if not for C-Store issues you could have.

But you are basically playing russian roulette with your cash. The customer support will ( if they ever get around to you) just close your tickests.

You can click on an item to buy, and be charged for a totaly different item, and have that item show up as purchased on your character in game, and be told that you do not have it::)

Heh what makes this worse? The item is supposed to be unlocked on the whole account. But it is not, just on the character that got charged for it in the first place. But since they say i do not even have it ( but i can see it on unlocks and use the costumes)  cant even use it on any other characters either:)

They really have some serious issues with their C-Store.  From getting charged for items you do not even click on to them apparently not even being able to see what you have or were charged for in the first place i guess.

Just be aware, if you use the C-Store, you really are taking the chance you will lose your cash in this game and not be able to get it fixed, or changed.

I had the EXACT same issue with the C-Store and received no support whatsoever from Cryptic, other than being told I was "wrong" and "never claimed the item" etc.

I wound up filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau here in the USA.   If you do the research on your own, you will find you are not the only one who was ripped off by the C-Store bugs only to be told by Cryptic that you must be "imagining things" or are "incorrect".

I strongly suggest you save every piece of correspondence you have with Cryptic on this issue.  If your case goes anything like mine, you will eventually catch them in a lie and they will make good on it.  However, it is a real struggle to get there.

I wish you the best of luck.

• kryon256kryon256 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 10

I had the EXACT same issue with the C-Store and received no support whatsoever from Cryptic, other than being told I was "wrong" and "never claimed the item" etc.  I wound up filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau here in the USA.   If you do the research on your own, you will find you are not the only one who was ripped off by the C-Store bugs only to be told by Cryptic that you must be "imagining things" or are "incorrect" I strongly suggest you save every piece of correspondence you have with Cryptic on this issue.  If your case goes anything like mine, you will eventually catch them in a lie and they will make good on it.  However, it is a real struggle to get there.

Cryptic Studios is a bad joke. Always has been, always will be.

The fact that this company is still in business boggles the mind, but then I visit the Star Trek Online forums and see all the tolerant fans of a game that has been essentially "broken" since early last year and see that the C-Store has seduced them. Terrible, terrible company...and never again will they ever get into my wallet, I don't care what IP they luck into.

• TalthanysTalthanys Member Posts: 458

I made the mistake of lifetiming CO. The disappointment was Crushingly Obvious. I beta tested STO and it took me about 5 minutes to decide that I wouldn't be playing the game, much less doling out for the lifetime sub.

• kryon256kryon256 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 10

It doesn't matter what the devs of Guild Wars claim that Guild Wars is or is not.  They could claim that it is an action-based game.  Would that mean that you would believe them?  Because, they'd be wrong with that statement.

Fact remains, Guild Wars fits the definition of an mmorpg perfectly.

I agree. In fact, here is why I agree that Guild Wars is an MMORPG:

1. Massively- According to the Merriam-Webster it means "Forming or consisting of a large mass." In the case of Guild Wars, I would say the the game is pretty massive. Large lands, large dungeons, and a lot of people (including NPC's). Sounds pretty da** massive to me.

2. Multiplayer- This one is obvious in Guild Wars. There are a lot of people playing, and a lot of people playing together and against once another as well. Sounds pretty da** multiplayerish to me.

3. Online- Guild Wars is played over the internet.

4. Role- By creating a character of your choosing, and connecting that character to a profession or class of some sort, you as a person are taking on the role of that character and are now living as another person in a virtual world.

5. Playing- You are playing as the role that you chose. Pretty easy to understand.

6. Game- Yes, Guild Wars is an online video game.

So, to all those people who are saying Guild Wars is not an MMORPG, think again...and stop trying to sound smart.

• kabal.yerokabal.yero Member UncommonPosts: 29

I got a free 60 day subscription and I played STO for at least 8 hours non-stop. I had fun and looking forward to playing it again.

Originally posted by kabal.yero

I got a free 60 day subscription and I played STO for at least 8 hours non-stop. I had fun and looking forward to playing it again.

Glad you enjoyed the game.  Just be prepared for the fact that in those 8 hours, you have experienced the majority of what the game has to offer. 

• kabal.yerokabal.yero Member UncommonPosts: 29

Aw, that's too bad.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by ShardWarrior

Originally posted by kabal.yero

Glad you enjoyed the game.  Just be prepared for the fact that in those 8 hours, you have experienced the majority of what the game has to offer. 

If by "fact" you actually mean "your opinion" they that would be a correct statement to you.  However, reality is that the game offers a lot more content than 8 hours worth.

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I got it on the cheap back when I played and I do not regret the sub fee or purchase price. It's just not a long term game or anything resembling hardcore. Its for a casual sort of player. 

It can be a very fun diverswion for a couple of months that will dry up at the end. The Klingon faction may not should have been included. PVP has some skilled folks but frankly its not well balanced or worth taking too seriously. However, it really is a very themepark MMO that has ties to each series perhaps barring much Enterprise material. You feel like you've been on a tour of Trek at the end of the current missions. It just dries up into an empty hole all of a sudden with no epic finish. Like a car crash... I'd only reccomend it to a trek fan that likes classic MMO gaming too for a short term fix.

I've got some mixxed feelings on the current cash shop model as it's getting too much attention where the actual core game is lacking. I still hate wasting the money I did on the Galaxy X.  I also have some questions regarding items bought being retained when you resub as I noted a missing ship skin back in the day.

What they really did well for me was show a working concept in a game where you could have space battles, away team missions on planets all in one game. With explorable ship interiors too... That's awesome and I wish another company or even Cryptic would take those ideas into a new and better game built around an original intellectual property.

I am still trying to figure out why they didn't do more with the random mission generation. It was a great idea but I have a hard time justifying the run and scan computers type exploration missions and some of the cheap stuff... They recycled too many maps. It reminded me of a homebrew D&D campaign for the table top where the DM is pushed for time between classes and has to take shortcuts.

They also included several social areas for people to meet and just RP or be social but they do not see much use sadly. The character models and animations are some of the best.

The developers have made strides to polish content since beta but to be honest its still the same game underneath with the exact  same bugs it always had. I do not expect that to change no matter how much prettier it looks on the surface. Really they need new content ideas.

I will always be sad over STO. They had some very good ideas and simply couldn't deliver on them thanks to that two year rush. Thay took the easiest road open to often and killed what could have been terriffic.

It really is kind of a heart breaker MMO for me.  *Is Sad.*

Originally posted by Vato26

If by "fact" you actually mean "your opinion" they that would be a correct statement to you.  However, reality is that the game offers a lot more content than 8 hours worth.

How do you figure? 

Patrol missions are the same format from level Ensign to Vice Admiral.  Exploration cluster missions are the same 4 or 5 mission types, regardless of level.  You can play the game for a few hours and experience the majority of the pre-packaged Cryptic mission scenarios (scan 5 things, defeat 5 enemy waves, click 5 computers, talk to 5 people etc.) 

The poster above has posted similar thoughts;

Originally posted by blazin-ace

I am still trying to figure out why they didn't do more with the random mission generation. It was a great idea but I have a hard time justifying the run and scan computers type exploration missions and some of the cheap stuff... They recycled too many maps.

• Dante1443Dante1443 Member Posts: 23

All I've read is a bunch of people who either played for a short time or didn't bother reading the instructions.  

• seiturseitur Member Posts: 14

Well even if C-Store would work perfectly this game is still bad, like realy bad. Just my opinion of course , but I would stay away.

Free Time is too precious imho , f2p or p2p  , few hours of time is just so much more valuable than few bucks :/

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Originally posted by DarLorkar

The game can be fun for a while. And might be worth the time and cash for a month or 2 if not for C-Store issues you could have.

But you are basically playing russian roulette with your cash. The customer support will ( if they ever get around to you) just close your tickests.

You can click on an item to buy, and be charged for a totaly different item, and have that item show up as purchased on your character in game, and be told that you do not have it::)

Heh what makes this worse? The item is supposed to be unlocked on the whole account. But it is not, just on the character that got charged for it in the first place. But since they say i do not even have it ( but i can see it on unlocks and use the costumes)  cant even use it on any other characters either:)

They really have some serious issues with their C-Store.  From getting charged for items you do not even click on to them apparently not even being able to see what you have or were charged for in the first place i guess.

Just be aware, if you use the C-Store, you really are taking the chance you will lose your cash in this game and not be able to get it fixed, or changed.

When i played I used the c-store couple of times and  never had an issue.

***raises plunger in salute to cute Orion ladies everywhere! ***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• rodney28021rodney28021 Member UncommonPosts: 14

For the OP and the rest of forum, Buyers Beware, any cash shop on any internet game can be and will be buggy and can have crappy customer service.  You have to be willing to risk your money you pay for anything in these internet games.  

I was a long time City of Heroes player and didn't have any problems with their subscription service.  I had done the Star Trek Online beta and then played one month paid.  I liked STO mostly for the theme and the space combat gaming but the pvp system was badly designed imho, i will play some again when they take STO into free2play model.  I made a rule for myself not to buy anything from the cash shops in subscription games.  In free2play MMOs,  i play Dungeon Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings Online  and made plenty of game store purchases without incident and sofar had not have to deal with customer service since there is None for free player.  I have played Champions Online free2play but have held off on buying any store coin and items from their story, having enough free content to play with when i am on.  I have Guild Wars the first 2 versions but i don't play much since i don't like the way the powers and AI pets are set up and the team matchmakeing system is bad.  I tried a trial of CrimeCraft and I absolutely Hated that game I do NOT recommend that game,  I have done the beta for APB, it is ok if you like and are good at shooting games, the crime and driving parts are fun, they are going free2play soon.

Originally posted by Vato26

It is still just your opinion. 

Show an exploration cluster mission at VA that is a different format than an exploration mission at Ensign and we'll believe you.  Show a patrol mission at VA that is a different format from an patrol mission at Lieutenant level.  If you've done one of them, you've done them all.  All that changes with them are (sometimes) the enemy NPCs.

Wish and hope all you like, the game is light on content and you'll experience most of the available stock mission formats within a few hours of gameplay.  And yes, mentioning "too many recycled maps" is on point for what was being said. 

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

Err.... If any one questions my opinion of STO or what i think of it then you can refer to the play through thread I wrote in this forum from a starting character all the way to level cap and beyond in this thread:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/352/view/forums/thread/310207/I-Decided-to-ReSubscribe-Ongoing-Impressions.html 

A lot of people commented on Cryptic and the shop there too. My feelings on the game haven't changed since. I am not sure if i will try F2P orn not as of yet.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I think the OP is complaining mostly about the C-store item shop then the game proper. I have always found space combat in STO very good, ground combat needed work (which it got) and overal game play to be good. Additions such as the Foundry; revamped sector space; Weekly Episodes and now the "Borg Invasion" excellent.

However, now that  Dan Dstahl is leaving the game...right on the outset of f2p launch...I may have to reconsider my position on this game. Wasn't overly confident in the change to f2p (seen what it has done in other games) but with Dan leaving, I just do not see anything good coming down the road.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

ive been playing since day one and im still having fun playing it, especially with all the new changes comming.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335

Probably the worst thing you can do in life is be a sheeple and let other people make up your mind for you. No matter what forum you look on, every single game has people bashing it. Try things for yoursel fand make up your own mind because everyone has different preferences and enjoys different things  =)

• Artymus77Artymus77 Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by Grand_Nagus

Probably the worst thing you can do in life is be a sheeple and let other people make up your mind for you. No matter what forum you look on, every single game has people bashing it. Try things for yoursel fand make up your own mind because everyone has different preferences and enjoys different things  =)

exactly totally agree with the grand masta Nagus lol

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Actually I'm going to play it when it's free.  I played 1 mission free trial and it was mildly entertaining.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

The most simple way I can say this is : 

When the game goes free to play you have nothing to loose.  If you are a Trek fan its a must try.  There are many interesting things to be had here. 

Im not sure this game really qualifies as an mmo, since when I played it, I had absolutely no urge to really group up with anyone.  But as a solo game?  It does fine. 

In fact I think its the best Star Trek game Ive ever played.  By far.  So if you like Trek?  Give this a shot when it goes F2P.  Im sure any Trekkie will enjoy themselves.  But as a monthly sub mmo, this game does not hold up.  Thankfully, that will soon be a thing of the past.