Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Is Fatigue Setting In?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

While it's only been about two years since Star Wars: The Old Republic was announced, in many ways it feels like two decades. In today's column devoted to SWTOR, MMORPG.com Community Manager Mike Bitton wonders whether or not the wait is getting too long as there still seems no end in sight. Read on and then weigh in on the conversation in the comments.

Reading through various forums and fan comments I’m starting to sense that the fatigue is really starting to set in for some people. Has it just been too long? Or is it some weird effect of knowing the game is around the corner but not having an exact date that’s actually making people exhausted? Heck, even Game Informer recently placed Star Wars: The Old Republic at #2 of their “Fallers” section in a “Risers & Fallers” piece.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: Is Fatigue Setting In?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KanoRainKanoRain Member Posts: 94

Completely agree.  I have a feeling by the time it's released in 2025 I'll have moved on.

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

I will most likely wind up trying out this game eventually. But I'm definitely not hyped at all and can certainly wait at least a month or two after launch to see how people react to it once it finally goes live.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

If the combat looked and felt more like Star Wars, I might still be hyped. It doesn't. And I'm not.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah, I think MMO fatigue in general has set in... it's been years since the WAR hype and let down, years since WoW has really been all that interesting and fun for me, years since the good old days of SWG and before that UO...

And I've been waiting, hopefully NOT in vain, for TOR to FINALLY release and change all that and give me a solid game to play and love for many, many months and years.

The waiting... as long as it releases in 2011 lol I'll be happy. Delayed any further, will not be happy.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

I wish I could get emotionionally strung out over the release of a game.  I remember being a Star Wars fan most of my life.  But now I probably wouldn't take that Blu Ray complete saga if George Lucas came over and wanted to watch it with me so he could explain how Jar Jar was the key to the whole thing.      I'm still looking forward to the game though.

• CyfierCyfier Member Posts: 3
    There is a massive list of games to enjoy in the coming months, I've been so hyped over SW:TOR for so long now, but its shifted to around fifth place on my list simply for not being able to pin it down with a date, infact, my budget hopes we won't see the MMO til after Christmas now, MW3, BF3, AC revelations and of course Skyrim are beating SW:TOR. I've even stopped putting star wars into Google eight times a day just for the latest bite of news, Skyrim's collectors edition has been paid for using store credit from my SW:TOR pre order and I'll just settle with a normal edition as and when I can afford it
  • FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

Part of the fatigue comes from the fact that TOR is an mmo and we all kinda know what to expect from it. So 3 years of forums, weekly updates, gaming cons, beta leaks, etc etc is overkill for something that really isn't new or mysterious. 

All TOR has to offer is story layered over an updated version of your basic mmo. That's not enough to sustain 3 years of build up. 

• KanoRainKanoRain Member Posts: 94

Originally posted by BadSpock

Yeah, I think MMO fatigue in general has set in... it's been years since the WAR hype and let down, years since WoW has really been all that interesting and fun for me, years since the good old days of SWG and before that UO...

And I've been waiting, hopefully NOT in vain, for TOR to FINALLY release and change all that and give me a solid game to play and love for many, many months and years.

The waiting... as long as it releases in 2011 lol I'll be happy. Delayed any further, will not be happy.

{mod edit}

I was waiting for SWG2.0 as well, this is not it.  Don't get me wrong, I'll play it eventually.  It's just another great BioWare story game though, that I can guarantee you will not change.

Originally posted by Deleted User

So much of the game is centered around forced grouping that soloing is not an option, major design flaw in my opinion.

^
    ^lol

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Being a regular reader both here and on the SWTOR forums I agree with you. I am getting burned out myself on the whole release date nonesense.  With no date in sight I have begun to re-prioritize as well...Heck, I will have Rage, Batman: AC, and Skyrim to play already if things keep going the way they are. Not having any real clue as to the release of TOR which I have been following since 08 like many of us I have finally given in an pre-ordered some of the other releases coming up.

Now, I still have my TOR pre-orders too but wonder now how deep in something else I will be by the time I actaually see a light at the end of the tunnel for release.

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Years may be pushing it, i've no doubt that TOR will be a great game but i don't think it's an experience you drag on and on. Bioware isn't known for that kind of game, not Torment, nor Baldurs Gate, KotOR, Mass Effect and the rest.

Expect a good story with a steep increase in longevity from the single player RPGs, but do not expect a "home" like SWG was it, not unless you can say you've stayed with games like WoW for years, that way you won't be dissapointed if the game didn't deliver the next few years down the line.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The annouced the game a year to early IMO.  Than again it is probably going on a year behind schedule so I guess if it had released on time it would not have been a issue.

I am just unplugging myself from Star Wars TOR news until it's released.  

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Knowing now that a release date is just around the corner as is (possibly) the actual release of SWTOR has only made my interest in everything Star Wars go up. I have of late been reading only some recently released Star Wars novels. I have also purchased and viewing the Star Wars Saga on Blu-ray with much  more enthusiasim. I have also go to the extent of loading and attempting to play KOTOR on my relatively new computer (only to fail due to the game not like my newer vid drivers).

So no, I am now more excited then ever. I just have other things that feel my time then waiting around for SWTOR. It will get here sooner then later. As far as I am concerned, I really don't care about any other game.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

For me the problem is that a year ago SW:TOR was the MMO out of all the upcoming titles that seemed to be coming out first. As time has passes the release has gotten further away and even now there's a chance it may not release until 1st quarter 2012. With so much due out it hard to keep the excitement going about the game when it will now be competing with others i'm interested in as i never had any illusions it would be anything more than a 6 month play for me. If it still releases this year fine, but if early next year i have no clue if i'll be playing it at all.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Thekandy

Years may be pushing it, i've no doubt that TOR will be a great game but i don't think it's an experience you drag on and on. Bioware isn't known for that kind of game, not Torment, nor Baldurs Gate, KotOR, Mass Effect and the rest.

Expect a good story with a steep increase in longevity from the single player RPGs, but do not expect a "home" like SWG was it, not unless you can say you've stayed with games like WoW for years, that way you won't be dissapointed if the game didn't deliver the next few years down the line.

If each of the story lines are really 100+ hours long and of the same quality as ME2's I can see keeping myself occupided for sometime just on those while Bioware flushes out more content and better end game systems (If it even needs more than it already has, I don't know yet).  

The key for SW:TOR long term will be keeping the new content (solo, group, PVP, and raid) coming over time.  And not just a few new group/raid zones every few months, it needs to be a stream of new and interesting things for players to do being added to the game.  That's something no other game has managed to maintain after launch so we will see if Bioware and EA can keep the resources focused on the right areas here.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

It's actually been 3 yrs now ... I registered on  their website in Oct 08' ...  

Am I less excited about the game = No

Am I tired of waiting and bored out of my head = Yes

Do I think another delay (which would push it into 12") would be bad for the game = Maybe 

I want a polished game to play for sure... but please hurry up with the polishing :)

It's like that old saying ....  Lord grant me patience, but please HURRY!

• JuggerzJuggerz Member UncommonPosts: 76

They r saying they will b allowing every1 to test the beta.... im calling it now, server explodes, delays game for another 3 years...

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I have hit that plateau so to say… this is personally a last hurrah, I can’t foresee anticipating anything else in the remote future.   Well maybe BF3 …. or Skyrim….   Oh the dichotomy!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I won't mind a WoW re-skin if it's actually a good game because I stayed with WoW for 6+ years.

Only towards the middle/end of the Wrath of the Lich King content cycle did they really start changing the game for the worse IMO.

I think Ulduar was one of the highlights of the entire game, perhaps the last, great raid.

Ice Crown was pretty good but recount and quest helper and dungeon finder and gear score and dual spec etc. had already ruined the rest of the game.

If TOR is nothing but a great Bioware single player RPG with exactly the same end game as WoW, I'll be happy enough.

It already looks like they are doing crafting much, much better and I am 100% supportive of their mini-games like space.

If they actually pull off good open world PvP instead of focusing on e-Sport and instanced PvP like WoW did, I'll be SUPER happy.

New companions, new mini games, expanded space content, and the idea of expansions/major patches adding more to the Bioware story is enough to keep me going for years in addition to new Operations and Flashpoints.

See, I think SWG had probably one of the best "on-paper" designs of any MMO except UO but THE worst implementation ever - I quit SWG WAY WAY before CU and NGE because the game was total garbage.

So yeah, still waiting for TOR and hoping for the best - from what I have seen (especially what I've seen that I'm not supposed to have seen image), I don't think I am going to be disappointed.

Just.. waiting for it is REALLY beginning to suck, a lot.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Typical MMO gamers: Complain that a MMO isn't polished enough or doesn't have X feature at launch, denounce game. Developer says they will only release game "when it's ready" to get it polished and to add as many features as possible, denounce game.

Actually, I don't think fatigue is setting in at all, and MMORPG.com's own metrics are what leads me to believe this. Throughout TOR's development cycle the game has been in the top ten for unique hits on this site, but rarely ever hits number one. Normally GW2, WoW and other games just generate more hits on this site. However, in the past week TOR has gotten more unique hits than any other game, getting almost double the hits of GW2.

I think people are annoyed there is no announced release date yet, but people also sense that the game is near so despite there being no major TOR news TOR is generating interest.

As soon as we get a release date, it's all over.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Thankfully I've learned to put hype in my rear view mirror, the bottom line is there are still tons of games I enjoy playing both on my console and mmorpg's like lotro so I'll be fine until the wait is over especially if part of the reason I'm waiting is because they need to polish the game up I just don't want them releasing a buggy broken game like AOC or Vanguard or missing tons of promised release content like AOC and WAR did.

Playing WOW I think really helped me with hype they take so long to develop expansions and such but when they release there is barely a hiccup and for me that's much more important than the instant gratification of a too soon release.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I know I dont go to the offical forums anymore, just got tired of waiting.  I bought my CE and will play other games until ToR launches.  Way too many good games out there to play rather than sit and wait for a drop of news about ToR.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• gbogasongbogason Member Posts: 1

Its 3 years since swtor was announced, not 2.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

From my Westerners perspective, the feeling of being excited for a game began to become less substantial 6-months after WoW launched, when the realization that mmorpg’s were simmering into redundant instanced content by lazy or mis-placed developers.

I still look forward to playing a new title, as I look forward to playing SW:TOR, for a change in the monotony of grinding the same content ad nauseum from a previous title.

So, in support of my personal excitement terminology shift, fast-forward to today, shallow whack-a-mole asian online games show up like cockroaches in the  mmorpg market, Diablo 3, a single player lobby-system action rpg is considered a massively multiplayer online role-playing game, the term Massively as devolved into meaning 100’s of players having access to the same chat channel simultaneously, rather than gaming, cooperating or competing in the same persistent world simultaneously, not to mention there is nothing organic or persistent about the worlds other than their lobby-esque existence.

So all this nonsense begs the question, aren’t you really looking forward to the next single-player lobby-system heavily sharded and instanced cooperative multiplayer online game?

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Same with me, i canceled all my MMO  subscription because of that game, only what holds me to play on pc are games like Mass Effect. I cant even play Eve online anymore because when i see planets down there i think on SWTOR

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I would be hyped if it was Star Wars.

Couldn't care less about Commercial..ähem, Clone Wars.