Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else have a hard time deciding on class / advanced class?

Somehow for Swtor it seems extra hard. I am not much of an alt-herder and am likely to stick with one character as a main in the first months at least but I really have a hard time deciding on which one.

Operative, Assassin, Marauder but even smugglers, Jedi Knights and troopers appeal to me for different reasons. I love tactical stealth gameplay and being a glass canon on the one hand, and on the other hand, the freedom of jumping into fights without much fussing about and dealing out some serious damage should be awesome with either a Warrior,  Knight or Trooper.

I don't like force abilities so much and the cover mechanic isn't so appealing either to me, which takes away some atraction of the stealth classes.

Yet all those classes have appealing immersive sides to them; I can picture myself "being" either one of them which is kind of a prerequisite to pick a class in the first place.

In WOW, to give an example, it was simple for me: rogues all the way. I could only picture myself being a rogue. Had a dwarf one, a gnome one, an undead one and a human one and I loved them. Only twinked a warrior once but somehow the choice for rogues always was an obvious one to me. Lotro: same thing, burglar. In single player rpg's I always end up with snipers / bow users. And in GW2 I would pick a thief instantly.

Anyway, I think that Bioware really did a great job in giving all classes some zest. Eventually I'll pick one and be happy with it, but still it seems a particularly hard choice to make in Swtor's case.

Anyone else with a similar dilemma?

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Yep. I still have no idea what I will be playing come release. I know it will be aligned with the Empire, but past that I cannot make up my mind.

Thankfully, I have the advantage of being able to play the game before release, but it's really not helping at all. image

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I plan to have one of each so it really makes no difference to me.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

my only issue is that they have two tank classes in trooper and jedi, and so I will be waiting for more concrete data on which will be the best main tank. I have a group of real life friends and we all know our roles, me being tanker.

Since the jedi tank AC was the main tank in the video for eternity vault that is what I will be playing right now. Waiting until NDA is lifted and the beta testers tell me which was the best.

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

Originally posted by Gruug

I plan to have one of each so it really makes no difference to me.

Same here... I plan on playing a Sorcerer first. Afterwards, well, I'll make my decision when that time comes.

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237

I didn't really have much trouble choosing as in most MMO's, i either pick a Ranged DD or Tank as my first char and after seeing the IA Sniper, i immediately knew that was the first class i was going to play. Trooper is second.

After reading your post and since you like Rogue/Thief classes so much, Operative fits your description as it's a Middle/Close range Stealth class and it doesn't use the cover system as much as the Sniper AC.

• fatherdeath7fatherdeath7 Member UncommonPosts: 47

I will be playing a BH to start off with.. but im torn between the sith and jedi warrior class's.. either could be fun im thinking.. or maybe even a trooper... Im the Guild leader of the W@R DAWGZ but thinking that we may have to expand to both sides of the force....

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by jackman1118

my only issue is that they have two tank classes in trooper and jedi, and so I will be waiting for more concrete data on which will be the best main tank. I have a group of real life friends and we all know our roles, me being tanker.

Since the jedi tank AC was the main tank in the video for eternity vault that is what I will be playing right now. Waiting until NDA is lifted and the beta testers tell me which was the best.

3 tank classes.  Consulars can also be tanks.

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

Yeah, I like tough to kill characters with lots of options to approaching tactical problems and mission objectives. They don't have to be the best just the second best at everything lol. A lot of classes seem to fit that mold and all have companions. *Sigh*  I keep looking over Darth Hater's site from the FAQ sticky here in forum to garner an idea of what abilities I might like in a build. I hate that they are restricted to ship type and I can't choose what to fly though.

I am starting to wonder if I would like a Jedi Knight on the Republic side and a Sith Sorceror on the Empire side. I intend to start with a character of each faction on differing servers so I don't wear myself out just trying to cap one. I want to take my time and enjoy the play through rather than just trying to raid already...

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by leojreimroc

really? I still doubt they will meet main tank requirements, but I hope they do! It would be awesome to have 3 equal tanks that have different playstyles, but I doubt that can ever be achieved.

Time to search swtor forums for more info on that though.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Originally posted by leojreimroc

really? I still doubt they will meet main tank requirements, but I hope they do! It would be awesome to have 3 equal tanks that have different playstyles, but I doubt that can ever be achieved.

Time to search swtor forums for more info on that though.

They are marked as tanks so I'm assuming they'll be able to tank just fine.  From what I can see, they will be tanking with force shields.  So probably something like an absorb/evade tank.  It's also very easy to have a talent in the tanking tree like "Force armor" that raises armor/defense by x.  Keep that in mind.

• DianicDianic Member Posts: 69

My heart has always been with DPS Caster classes.  Wizzard, Mage, Sorcerer... whatever it may be, I like glass cannons.  I'm also rolling a Dark Jedi in some form. 

The problem is SWTOR doesn't really follow the typical glass cannon cliche.  Yes, it has something similar in the form of an Inquisitor, but they are hybrids.  They have back-up heals built into them, and I personally hate that.  Just my opinion... no heals... all DPS.

SO... I switched to pure melee dps in the form of a Marauder.  It'll be a breath of fresh air for me to try something new, and I'm super excited to start smashing faces with duel-wielded lightsabers.  

Marauder, at first glance, appeared to be like a fury warrior to me... again... break the typical "What you think you know..." and let SWTOR run with it.  I think Marauders may play more like rogues.  They can vanish and wax your face just like rogues, but they are built Ford Tough.

Change is good.  Embrace it!  :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Nope.  Have no clue what classes/advanced classes there even are, will figure it out eventually and pick one when the time comes.  I try not to overthink these things, it is just a game after all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I've pretty much decided that my first character will be a Jedi Consular.  My only problem is I can't decide if I want to go the healer route or the tanking route in Advanced Classes.  After that though, I actually have NO idea what class I will play.  With 8 distinct story lines available, I know I will be playing many of them, but which one is second for me?  Leaning a little towards the Bounty Hunter, but the SMuggler looks really nice too.  Then again the Range Tank of a Trooper might just beat out the Bounty Hunter for fun.

What worries me right now is that we don' know how many character slots we will get on a server.  I like to play with friends and sometimes during PvP it is fun to play with them for a while, at least until the sides become inbalanced, then I can switch sides and play against them.  If there is a small number of player slots on a server though, this becomes very hard if you are like me and don't like deleting old characters.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• romerokromerok Member Posts: 104

facing the same dilema.

I Usually pick warrior archetypes, I also have a thing for holy warrior/paladin like classes. Had it with lotro/aion/alganon/wow/dragonnest/alotofothergames & it also applies for singplayer rpgs. but with wow in addition to warrior/paldin/Dk I also had a blast playing hunter (while archer type of classes are usually the ones i refrain from).

But with swtor.. I want a bounty hunter-powertech/sith warrior-juggernaught/Trooper vanguard/imperial agagent-sniper/Perhaps even a jedi consular-shadow

Anyway its all eye candy, I really hope all classes are as fun to play as they look.

so basicly we're somewhat on the same (dutch) ship

Edit: To bring the whole dilema to a new level, ofcourse the class I pick automaticly picks the faction for me. Therefor I signed up at 2 guilds as of now. I socialize within both, but The one I'll play mainly with will be picked by the class I choose. You probably get the point.

kind regards,

Romero

"You resist. You cling to your life as if it actually matters. You will learn."

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Seems I am not the only one then. Swtor is indeed making it tough due to all the hybridization. And thanks for the advice guys; I agree with Operative and Marauder probably being the best picks for me. I think I have to try em out both before I settle on one this time.

@Romero: Ouch, already having picked guilds makes making that final choice even harder :)

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

My first one will be a Imperial agent, no doubt about it, like everything i'm hearing about it. It's the second character or first alt thats gonna be an iffy i'm split between smuggler, jedi consular or Bounty hunter.

Edit: and not to seed doubt but i gotta ask:

Do we know if they will faction lock you based on your first character? What I mean by this is some games when you pick a faction basically it force you to make every other character on that side and keep you from making characters on the other side. Say like I make an imperial agent, do we know (i admit i haven't gone looking for this so this question is based on no research of my own) if i'll be able to make a jedi consular and if i will be forced to make all empire characters until i delete all of my empire characters thus allowing me to make republic characters?

I'm really hoping not because then that basically locks me out of 4 of the classes and their stories until i delete the ones i have. The way they set up the game suggest they won't but i'd like something more concrete then just my beliefs.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

I haven't heard anything about faction locking in this game at all.  Based on some of BioWare's previous statement about not wanting to stop people from playing the way they like, I doubt they would do it.  I'm personally just hoping for enough character slots on each server that I can make a bunch of toons all on one server (Alt-itis).

Originally posted by GMan3

I haven't heard anything about faction locking in this game at all.  Based on some of BioWare's previous statement about not wanting to stop people from playing the way they like, I doubt they would do it.  I'm personally just hoping for enough character slots on each server that I can make a bunch of toons all on one server (Alt-itis).

Yeah i haven't heard anything either...thats my problem they haven't said anything on it at all. Granted i'm probably making up worries that don't exist and there (as far as i can tell) isn't anything to make me think there is, beyond Mythic being involved and WAR being that way. least it was the last time i played.

Usually the reason they do faction locks is so people can't make opposite sided characters to spy on the other side. Which is clearly something someone would do if they could, especially with open world PvP.

Edit: as for amount of slots, i think it was one of the events they got a look at the character select screen, found it when i went looking for the creation screen. Showed like 8 slots i think: 

Actually, now i feel dumb, looking at the Pax Prime video again (public event so hopefully it doesn't fall under NDA stuff) it shows amounts of slots which answer your question and then shows my answer with both jedi and empire on one character select. So..uh nevermind with my original concern :)

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pd3I8pUws

Hopefully it stays this way.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ShredderSEShredderSE Member Posts: 197

Go Jedi like the rest. It will be the OP class and 99% pop on every server!

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

I'm a one man toon myself. Yet I think Kotor will change that for me. The RPG and story will make rolling a alt more attractive. In another MMO's, a alt just become a huge grind. You have all rdy seen all the crap the first time around.  I don't see Kotor being like this.  

With that being said. I don't know what character I wana play first, but I did cut it down to two. Just knowing that has put me at ease, as I will probly play both Juggernaut and Powertech.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I'm going Bounty Hunter to start with, probably Mercenary.  Love the high-tech gadgetry, flamethrowers, and all that.  Plus, I also want to give healing a try too, and I like the idea that Mercs can spec into the Bodyguard tree to be healers.  The options available for class customization is what I'm most excited about in this game.  3 out of the 4 primary classes on each side have tanking trees once you pick an advanced class, and 3 out of 4 on each side have healing trees.  Lot of options.  I just wish duel speccing was going to be in at launch.  Would have really helped to make the levelling experience for that first toon more forgiving. 

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by ShredderSE

Go Jedi like the rest. It will be the OP class and 99% pop on every server!

Oh dear, the Short Reply Swtor Hater strikes again. This time in my own thread.

Wat to do, gusy?

Originally posted by whilan

Originally posted by GMan3

Yeah i haven't heard anything either...thats my problem they haven't said anything on it at all. Granted i'm probably making up worries that don't exist and there (as far as i can tell) isn't anything to make me think there is, beyond Mythic being involved and WAR being that way. least it was the last time i played.

Usually the reason they do faction locks is so people can't make opposite sided characters to spy on the other side. Which is clearly something someone would do if they could, especially with open world PvP.

Edit: as for amount of slots, i think it was one of the events they got a look at the character select screen, found it when i went looking for the creation screen. Showed like 8 slots i think: 

Actually, now i feel dumb, looking at the Pax Prime video again (public event so hopefully it doesn't fall under NDA stuff) it shows amounts of slots which answer your question and then shows my answer with both jedi and empire on one character select. So..uh nevermind with my original concern :)

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pd3I8pUws

Hopefully it stays this way.

Yea.  I had seen that too.  Like you though, the fact that they haven't made a direct statement worries me.  They almost never talk about something until it is set in stone, so not giving a number bothers me.  Though I hate RMTs in a subscription game, I honestly hope they let us buy more character slots for a server if eight IS the current max.  I am a casual player in many ways and the fact that I like to try out different classes regularly is one of those ways.

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

I've seen a lot of betas let both factions on the same server/shard, then change it to locked for launch. So I'd not bet on anything you might have heard or of seen from beta.

That is true Gman they haven't said anything, i'll hold out i put my concern under this thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9265605#post9265605

If i don't get an answer by tomorrow (after i get off of work) from either the main site, darth hater or this site i'll check my feature list again to see if thats been covered, if it hasn't i may post a thread (if there isn't one already) asking specifically that question in hopes a dev will answer or give me some hint. probably will get we aren't ready to talk about that yet though :P

@ Nivisiru

That is very true i've been in betas where that has happened. Great...now i'm worried about it again :)

Edit: sorry for Hijacking your thread Mister Pony, i'll do more research, if anyone finds the answers feel free to PM, I'll let the topic flow back to what it was originally about.