Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online: Top Five Wishes for Warhammer 40K

Comments

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I think that in order to keep the balance proper, they'll need to implement classes like fire warriors and imperial guard as being extreme versions of pet classes...because one imperial guardsman should absolutely not be able to stand up to a space marine, just like one fire warrior or one Ork Boy should be able to...now that said, it would be easy to manage this by having all space marines start as scouts, who, while still superior to an individual guardsman or ork, are certainly a huge step below the fully fledged space marine in power armor.  A Nob is a match for a space marine, so perhaps having players choose at a certain point how they want to advance their character (a flash git, a nob, a vindicare temple assassin, etc) so that they CAN stand up to a space marine, who would be advanceing from scout, to tactical marine, then specializing in any number of paths.  I feel that this is essential to reamain true to the lore.  I NEVER want to see a space marine get killed by one guardsman, not ever.

regarding building your own vehicles.  No.  That is the job of the adeptus mechanicus and should be left to them.  Techmarine classes should be able to repair vehicles in the field and create little battlefield gizmos...but the construction of a vehicle in 40k takes a forge world or otherwise a large manufactorum, and it should have to be done there.  Another alternative is to allow guilds to purchase vehicles (dreadnaughts, rhinos, landspeeders, etc) at a cost of renown points that the team earns similar to City of Heroes and Planetside.  Battlefield heroics, point captures, etc, would all aid in the cost.  The ultimate purchase being something lke a Titan (Imperium), a Deff Dread(Ork), or the conjuring of a Avatar of Khaine(Eldar).  The issue with this becomes what to give the Imperium and what to give the space marines...the land raider is about the biggest vehicle that the Adeptus Astartes really uses, but doesn't feel suitably epic...so perhaps give the Imperium baneblades and the space marines Titans?  I know that Titans ARE usable by the Space Marines in the Armageddon Codex. 

Anyway, I'm glad that people are still keeping track of this game.  I really hope that it comes out and that it's great.  But the lack of information lately has been very discouraging.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Dnomsed

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Originally posted by Gyrus
    Sorry, but IMHO your list is rubbish.
    Why?

Because you completely fail to mention the most talked about issue to do with this game.
    Number of 'factions'

Actually, he does. Read #4 again. It's not 100% clear, and we apologize, but that's precisely what he's talking about.

It's a wish, but it's a two faction game. Even if you have sub-factions, it's not going in there. You won't have a neutral-ish sub-faction of order fighting with any chaos sub-faction.

(This next bit is my opinion only) Part of the issue with gaming is people 'wishing' for stuff that is just never going to happen. It just turns into people complaining about the stuff that never happened.

While I don't disagree with anything you said in particular, isn't NOW the best time, while DMO is still in utero, to be starting civilized discourse on what we as future customers would like to see the game mature into?

(My opinion follows here, nothing else) I don't see more than two factions showing up. Factions are a fundamental design concept in a game, especially a themepark game. Most of the stuff that follows hinges on your factions and how many you have. If you add a faction, you have to add an entire quest system and chains, zones for that faction, battleground scenarios need to take the number of factions into consideration, etc.

It is an article on Wishes though, and it's a nice one, but it's not going to happen. People are going to get upset that it doesn't happen, even though they know it's not going to happen.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184

I love the grandious expectations and ideas some people have and how some things are just a MUST or won't be good.

Lemme ask some of you whiners and people with their own high expectations (requirements);

ARE YOU GONNA PUT YOUR OWN TIME AND MONEY INTO THIS GAME?  Oh and when it takes 10 years to develop release because we have to put EVERYTHING EVERYONE wants in it (the way they want it), are you gonna be patient enough not to WHINE every other week?

Yea, that's what I thought.

Let's the dev's make their game; like everything else, if you don't like it, don't freakin' play it.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Good list, could do with a bit of refining as some of the wishes such as #1 are a bit 'broad' but the rest are concise points and I particularly agree with #s 4, 3 & 2.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I just don't think that developer-focused "content" consumtion is the way to do this game.

I can only really see this game working as a multi-faction PvPvE game all about territorial control and battlefield domination.

They'd pretty much have to abandon a fairly large chunk of the "traditional" MMO and RPG standards.

Zones and levels and quests? Umm look at WAR, completely ruined by such things.

P+E vs P+E vs P+E at minimum. PEvPEvPE?

Players and NPC faction allies versus Players and NPC faction allies versus Players and NPC faction allies

At minimum 3 sided WAR.

So you'd have to make it a... ummm.. MMOTBOCG?

Massively Multiplayer Territorial Battlefield Objective Control Game with light RPG elements?

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

1. I just want it to not suck... is that too much to ask of a game anymore?

All die, so die well.

Originally posted by Fusion
    My only real wish is that the combat will be close to that of WH40K: Space Marine, i've missed a GOOD FPS/TPS MMO combat since Neocron.

I was kind of thinking this too. Since I don't have any Warhammer history and preconceived notions of how a Warhammer game should be, I don't think I can be disappointed if they stray from the lore. Make it fun and make it feel like you're a Space Marine, or an Orc Warrior, or whatever.

Some form of Mech combat would not hurt at all though.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Razephon

Excellent list imo. 

Personally, one thing I really hope for is they use the same graphics as Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. As far as visuals go, Space marine nailed it perfectly. Chances are, I hope they aren't using the same crappy engine from 2010 or similar mechanics to what were displayed...at all!

They said Dark Millenium will use the Darksiders engine, and Space Marine used the same engine. Which is great, I like that engine. I kinda shows, if you compare the Dark Millenium footage with Space Marine footage you can see the similiarities.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

This list is bad for one reason. I thought there awful desicion to have 2 factions in a warhammer game far outways everything else and should be number 1 on this list.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Good list but I wish you would have included all out war with NO 2 faction warfare. Everybody fights everybody.

***Raises plunger in slaute to hot eldar ladies everywhere!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

Forgot to add. What I DO NOT!! and I repeat DO NOT WANT to see is:

1xSpace Marine Tank

1xImperial Guard DPS

1xEldar Banshee Melee DPS

1xInquisitor

PLEASE **** NO!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS TRAVESTY OF A MISTAKE! Sorry for caps. But from footage we've seen there are some scenes which make it look that way :(

Group LFM Warboss tank and Chaos Sorc heals, then GTG. Got Nob, Khorne Zerker and Shoota. PST!

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Fluxii

I love the grandious expectations and ideas some people have and how some things are just a MUST or won't be good.

Lemme ask some of you whiners and people with their own high expectations (requirements);

ARE YOU GONNA PUT YOUR OWN TIME AND MONEY INTO THIS GAME?

Actually, yes, that's the plan. You see, if nobody puts their own time and money into the game, then it will have been a tremendous flop. :P

Which is why they can't just stomp all over the fans' wishes and call it a day. The negative press alone will be enough to kill it if they botch it up hard enough

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Actualy,

My number one concern would be that combat actualy feels appropriate to the setting rather then just a reskinned version of your typical fantasy MMO combat.

Guns, artillery, vehicles, cover, concealment, spotting, smoke, manuver, combined arms, covering fire, enfilade fire, supression, etc.....

Combat has to be about those....not hit hotbar button #1, wait 2.5 seconds, hit hotbar button # 4, repeat.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by BadSpock

I just don't think that developer-focused "content" consumtion is the way to do this game.

I can only really see this game working as a multi-faction PvPvE game all about territorial control and battlefield domination.

They'd pretty much have to abandon a fairly large chunk of the "traditional" MMO and RPG standards.

Zones and levels and quests? Umm look at WAR, completely ruined by such things.

P+E vs P+E vs P+E at minimum. PEvPEvPE?

Players and NPC faction allies versus Players and NPC faction allies versus Players and NPC faction allies

At minimum 3 sided WAR.

So you'd have to make it a... ummm.. MMOTBOCG?

Massively Multiplayer Territorial Battlefield Objective Control Game with light RPG elements?

Yeah, that's one way WH40K setting could work.

Another one would be a MOBA style game or even a MMORTS thing where each faction works on its own with alliances and such. Maybe with some light campaigning (aka persistence in mmo lingo) and army collecting/buying/unlocking... You know, basically the way the ACTUAL, VERY SUCCESFUL tabletop game works...

But this 2-faction "zones and levels and quests" concept is really the least appealing and imo least appropriate one for this setting/IP. And gosh, there really are soooo many wonderful and succesful basic online game concepts... Sheesh... Imo it's an already sinking ship even though it didn't leave port yet. Bad concept. Just like Yamato, the biggest battleship built in time when carriers already ruled supreme. Bummer....

I mean, even the evil Smed and the most unimaginative, play-for-sure SOE is leaving the WoW formula for dead. They're into open world 3-faction warfare now. It's just sad and pathetic what MMO industry is doing with the awesome WH IPs

• chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50

I think the problem with War hammer franchises is that they’re « armies » not heroes to begin with. So as soldiers they are sent as squads on a mission and just do the job, there is no decision making about the greater good made by the soldier, just “on the battlefield” decision making. Also, customization is a moot point for the same reason, soldiers don’t change their uniforms based on personal taste.

Now you might argue that Orks may not have that uniform thing going on and just go all out and Waaaaagh! You are right, but players should only play Nobz level character so that PvP balance makes at least “some” sense.

Obviously, there can’t be only 2 factions in 40k unless you only have two races (and even then… but lets keep it simple) First, you need the space marines… they’re a must have, I would say that the chaos marines are not essential since space marines fight just as much against Eldars and Oks… But oh well, most chaos units are repaints of space marines so let’s include them. That’s 4 factions already, Forget about Necrons and Tyranids, they have no individual will and consciousness, Tau and Imperial guard could be considered but their basic units just don’t balance with space marines (like the Ork Boyz). So what do we do with them? Those individually less powerful faction or lesser units of factions with “marine strength” units, AI controlled? AI faction used mostly for PVE?  

What would a typical battle look like? You insert a number of players into an ongoing battle between basic (weaker) units? Lots of AI programming and total Zerg fest until you hit an opposing player… not sure people would like that. Even if it looks feasible to drop a squad of space marine in a battlefield of Imperial guard vs Orks, on the other side you have your Ork Nobz (players) for balance.

What about player character progression, some talk about beginning as scout and levelling to tactical marine and who knows eventually terminators… that won’t work in the end game because there would be no high level scout to play the elite recon and elite sniper. The same would happen with the orks… an army of Warbosses, so much fun. No, Space Marines have careers that last centuries, if you’re a scout when the game launches, you’ll be a scout for as long as the game lasts, and you’ll just get better over time. Eldars… they live even longer, Chaos? Not sure they have any measurable lifespan since they are all “demonized” in some way, they probably can’t die at all, at least not permanently. Once again, the races that could have different progression mechanics would be the short lived ones: Orks, Tau and Imperial guard.

For me that is enough reason to make the short lived races non playable, and I’ll get flames for saying Orks should be non playable for lore/mechanics concerns. But face it: every space marine is “elite” so is every chaos marine and so is every Eldar unit THOSE should be our 3 player factions. All others should be AI controlled or PvE enemies.

Which brings me to PvE… instanced PvE GW1 style? I mean, as an ELITE soldier, you can’t just roam the countryside looking for crafting materials and killing 10 Snotlings for Lieutenant Weiner… Instanced PVE would make more sense for this type of IP.

Just my opinions…

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48

E.g. Maybe I want to play as a Ultramarine or Blood Raven specifically and not a black templar! Black Templars are a relatively unheard of Legion in terms of what gamers who aren't into the lore know.

Just to be a bit factual there are no space marine legions anymore.  The Black Templars are a chapter, all legions where disbanded and broken into chapters shortly after the Horus Heresey when Guilliman wrote the Codex Astartes.  The only Legions left are the traitor legions who for obvious reasons did not disband but instead sulked away into the eye of terror.  As far as the Templars not being well known, well anyone who plays table top should know them as they have their own codex.  One thing I will mention is that if they stay true to the lore and Black Templars are the only playable chapter, then there should not be a option to make a librarian.

On to the list.

5.  Easy enough, make them a traitor legion and not one of the new traitors (i.e. Red Corsairs),  they would have shittier tech (it being 10,000 years old) such as combi bolters instead of storm bolters, but access to special veteran skills (after all if after 10,000 yrs your not a vet when would you be one.)  That's just the tip of the iceberg, that's not even getting into worshiping a specific God and getting abilities for that or going undivided.  You could do a lot to make them diff.

4. You would simply have to break the lore and probably keep only certain races playable (not sure how you'd play a Nid in a roleplaying game anyway).  As a long time fan I'd have no problem with breaking the  lore as the tabletop already does so to a point for balance sake.  Read any books and you soon realize that Space Marines are very over-top ridiculous.

3.  Eh I could go either way with this, not a gamebreaker for me.  One thing I would like to see is "paths" which you mentioned briefly, for instance I'm a neophyte (Black Templars don't have scouts for those that don't know), when I become a Initiate (Full Marine) I must choose whether I want to become a tactical Marine, Devastator, or Assualt.  Then maybe later down the road when I become a veteran you could get a advanced path, such Chaplain, Sergeant, or Terminator Honours.  This could unlock unique skills that deal directly with your path.  I wouldn't want to open a system as it would go against lore especially on the Marine side of things.

2.  I don't think multiple chapters will be in at launch no matter our wishes, one thing you could have is lots of fluff type clothing pieces.  Like Oath Scrolls, Orky bitz, skulls and other race specific things you could attach to your character to make him look more unique.  I would like to see this sort of thing having to be earned, in that way you could recognize a veteran warrior when you saw one. 

1.  I'm pretty sure they already mentioned Vehicles being a big part in the game.  As far as constructing them, well I def think that needs to be handled differently per race.  Space Marines don't construct their own stuff (heck some don't even maintain their own gear they have servitors and chapter serfs do it for them), the Mechanicum does it for them.  Orks loot stuff and "make it orky" and so on and so forth.  I agree with salvaging things, all the races as far as I know do this in some form or the other (hell space marines will go at great lengths just to recover a lost Terminator Honour Badge as it contains a piece of the Emperors power armour). 

P.S. For all those wanting more than two factions, I don't think its going to happen.  Two factions is Absolutely backed by Games Workshop, the words Order and Destruction can be found in the tabletop rule book.  And one only has to look at the global tabletop campaigns to see that GW themselves organizes their armies in this way.  Against the lore yes, annoying yes, just doubt it will change so just brace yourselves. 

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

I prefer the factions feel like themselves. This could be done by making use of a squad system. Instead of just controlling one character you instead would control 4-5 imperial guards (you are a leader The rest of the gaurd would be a AI) or the Xenos listen to a mini-hyve mind (you) or your an group of orcs. This would still mean a player who played orc could win again a single space marines, but you would still have the feeling as a space marine you fight the horde and as a orc you feel of being part of a horde.

Problem might be trough that it would take a lot for an MMO to have such features.

Originally posted by garrett

I guess this sentence wasn't enough for you....

"The best part of Warhammer is the idea of the different races all at war. Even though no MMO can host 9-10 warring factions, it would be great to see the races broken out into more than just two sides to fight it out."

Would not mind them trying it trough. I think it might be possible if the map is big enough and clearly enough people play the game.

Originally posted by Coman

I prefer the factions feel like themselves. This could be done by making use of a squad system. Instead of just controlling one character you instead would control 4-5 imperial guards (you are a leader The rest of the gaurd would be a AI) or the Xenos listen to a mini-hyve mind (you) or your an group of orcs. This would still mean a player who played orc could win again a single space marines, but you would still have the feeling as a space marine you fight the horde and as a orc you feel of being part of a horde.

Problem might be trough that it would take a lot for an MMO to have such features.

I like this idea

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Originally posted by Montaronx

Amen to this list brother, now lets hope all of em will be implemented and this is a game that can for once hold the reputation for warhammer. Every other game on this IP sucked sofar

I really like Space Marine. 

Originally posted by DrNo172000

P.S. For all those wanting more than two factions, I don't think its going to happen.  Two factions is Absolutely backed by Games Workshop, the words Order and Destruction can be found in the tabletop rule book.  And one only has to look at the global tabletop campaigns to see that GW themselves organizes their armies in this way.  Against the lore yes, annoying yes, just doubt it will change so just brace yourselves. 

Well there it goes. The cat's out of the bag. It was actually GW who pushed the disastrous 2-faction decision onto WAR. It always smelled fishy to me that Mythic would forego the 3-faction RvR thing which they actually pioneered to great success. I had a hunch it was the GW borg from the beginning...

Let's face it folks. GW today is not what it was in the 80s or even in the 90s. They're a dying crap franchise that preys on sentimentality and kids. Just like George Lucas. Rest in peace GW while I leaf through my 80's copies of White Dwarf and today's FF games WH40K roleplay books...

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Well there it goes. The cat's out of the bag. It was actually GW who pushed the disastrous 2-faction decision onto WAR. It always smelled fishy to me that Mythic would forego the 3-faction RvR thing which they actually pioneered to great success. I had a hunch it was the GW borg from the beginning...
    Let's face it folks. GW today is not what it was in the 80s or even in the 90s. They're a dying crap franchise that preys on sentimentality and kids. Just like George Lucas. Rest in peace GW while I leaf through my 80's copies of White Dwarf and today's FF games WH40K roleplay books...

If there are 10,000 people who are familiar with the Warhammer franchise and who will be upset that they aren't following the game's history 100%, but there are 100,000 or 1,000,000 people who aren't really familiar with the franchise, but who will buy the game because it uses some mechanics that are familiar, guess which direction they're going to take?

Your choices might be 0 games, or some games that don't fit your definition of what a Warhammer game should be. Sometimes you have to look at a game for what it is.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

If there are 10,000 people who are familiar with the Warhammer franchise and who will be upset that they aren't following the game's history 100%, but there are 100,000 or 1,000,000 people who aren't really familiar with the franchise, but who will buy the game because it uses some mechanics that are familiar, guess which direction they're going to take?

Your choices might be 0 games, or some games that don't fit your definition of what a Warhammer game should be. Sometimes you have to look at a game for what it is.

Well, yeah. Even if I know that it's there, I still don't have to look at it, now don't I?

Some things are best ignored I'd say. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 3 Star Wars movies and Richard Matheson's "I am Legend" was never adapted for the screen. (Gad, I still have nightmares about that one.)

Imo they can shove their good vs evil thing (sorry "order" vs "chaos") in the very same place the US army base at the end of "I am Legend" movie resides.

Honestly what I would like to see is no factions at all.  If I could have my way, which I can't I know, but if I could it would go like this.  Every race would be able to pvp or group only with certain other races.  For example  Space Marines can pvp all non imperials, but can still group with say Eldar or Tau (since they have been known to work together).  Orks could pvp everyone including themselves, and group with anyone that would be able to group with them (they just want to go were da fightin iz).  You could do this for every race. 

Now to give something meaningful so that we do group or not group with other races (xeno filth).  Instead of battlefields they could have objectives, for example a manfactorum, controlling it could give a specific advantage.  Taking it solo would give the most benefit for your race or faction but grouping with xeno filth while making it easier to take would give a similiar but lesser advantage to both groups.

• JorviasJorvias Member Posts: 13

I don't mind having only 2 factions as Orks will happily fight anyone and Eldar could fight for either side, depending on their agendas at the time.

I also don't mind focusing on the Black Templar, since they're my favorite chapter. However, I can see how that would be annoying to lovers of other Space Marine chapters. Perhaps if the whole game is set on a planet or system where a crusade is underway!

I would like to see the same graphics, art, and system as Space Marine, which was great. There definitely needs to be a vehicle system, however, so that is my #1 choice from this list.

-Jorvias

Stormlord Jorvias
    Fryer of Conductive Foes

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

I dissagree with #3. Leveling is half the fun of the game! so you just want to do the same old same old PvP or raids?