Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really excited about this game but...

lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

I think real world AH might have killed it for me...I'm not 100% sure what blizzards' plans for this are but I don't like the idea of money getting involved. Do you have to spend money to put something on the AH? Do you get to keep the money you make on the AH? So many factors that are kind of swept under the rug. I just wish they would have kept a standard AH using in-game money like every other game..

Edit: Ive put a little more thought into this and this is what I came up with, to me this feels like Blizzard is thinking it all the wrong way. If you could imagine going to a local ice cream shop and ordering an ice cream cone, and the cashier says alright pay me with 300 gold on WoW please...your mind would be blown, now in the D3 sense its more like, alright ill trade you my helm of epicness, but itll be 5 bucks please...it just doesn't make sense from a consumer stand point. Though how blizzard thinks of it. "Players get their items, gold sellers get their money, and we get a cut also, couldn't be happier" shouldn't be the state of mind here really. The reason this is most critical to the game for me is, I love to PvP, and with this type of auction house up it effectively makes this game P2W, or otherwise extreme farming and time involved (which i dont mind doing) but paying to win is what ruined many other games for alot of gamers and I don't see it changing here.

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Yes, you have to spend money to list something on the RMAH. Yes, you can keep the money you make, but you need to pay a fee to have it transferred off your Blizzard account. Also, there is a 'traditional' auction house which uses in-game gold.

Please take five minutes to read up on something before making a new post about it. All of this info has been posted and discussed to death.

That being said, f*ck Blizzard for giving in to the gold farming industry.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Yes, you have to spend money to list something on the RMAH. Yes, you can keep the money you make, but you need to pay a fee to have it transferred off your Blizzard account. Also, there is a 'traditional' auction house which uses in-game gold.

Please take five minutes to read up on something before making a new post about it. All of this info has been posted and discussed to death.

I'm also strongly opposed to blizzards laziness in combating this industry.  They took the "If you cant beat em, join em" mentality and it really pisses me off.  I'm very likely to just go with TL2 and use that for my dungeon crawling needs.  Not only is it $40 cheaper, but it doesnt have a RMAH and its got people from the D1 and D2 teams working on it.  Oh and did I forget moddable?

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Originally posted by Rednecksith

i kind of like the idea to be able to make money if i decide to no-life a game

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Yep, gonna skip D3 myself.

Also Check out "Path of Exile", gonna be F2P, cash shop is gonna be strictly cosmetics.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Passing on D3 as well, may not ever buy another Blizzard game again either.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by marinrider

I'm also strongly opposed to blizzards laziness in combating this industry.  They took the "If you cant beat em, join em" mentality and it really pisses me off.  I'm very likely to just go with TL2 and use that for my dungeon crawling needs.  Not only is it $40 cheaper, but it doesnt have a RMAH and its got people from the D1 and D2 teams working on it.  Oh and did I forget moddable?

Lazyness? They thought "how can we get these money instead of some gold farming company?".

That is not lazy, it is more greedy.

However I think this takes focus from the fact that this is more a Wow game than a real Diablo. I seen the old screens Blizzard North did before Blizz fired them, they actually looked just right. What we seen now is nothing near the 2 classic games. :(

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

Originally posted by Beazt

Also Check out "Path of Exile", gonna be F2P, cash shop is gonna be strictly cosmetics.

im in beta. it is definitely worth it

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Originally posted by hockeyplayr

Good to know...

/sarcasm

I'm not jealous

/sarcasmoff

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I'm confused by all these posts about Diablo 3.  I can play Diablo 3 the same way I played Diablo 2. I login to bnet, make a private server, invite friends and or family and enjoy. The real money AH does not effect me one bit. The only complaint I can see that is valid is the online play only. What I find strange about these complaints here is this site is about online gaming which requires a internet connection. :P

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

I'm confused by all these posts about Diablo 3.  I can play Diablo 3 the same way I played Diablo 2. I login to bnet, make a private server, invite friends and or family and enjoy. The real money AH does not effect me one bit. The only complaint I can see that is valid is the online play only. What I find strange about these complaints here is this site is about online gaming which requires a internet connection. :P

This is kind of how I see it.  I just wish the net connection wasn't in place, but it's a cheaply done anti-piracy measure really.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

Yeah this is really what is comes down to. If you don't like it, don't use it. Boycott it if you want. Complain about it all you want, but you don't have to use it.

As well, any time I am a consumer, whether in real life, on an in-game AH, or a real money AH, I want more people supplying services. It's simple economics - more supply means cheaper price. It doesn't get any simpler than that. If gold farmers want to sell gold on the RMAH, more power to them... means cheaper gold for me. More competition on the AH, lower price.

• KillerwoodyKillerwoody Member UncommonPosts: 28

What I think is very dumb and makes it not worth playing! Is the real money trading for items.... Makes this game very unlikable, also its going to be just like SC2! Same game mechanics and pretty much same exact game just better graphics! Starcraft 2 was pure garbage just a knock off of the first Starcraft! Blizzard has lost there touch and there ability to make great games!

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212

I am so stoked that Diablo 3 is near being released with the beta happening at the end of this year...

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I really wanted to be excited about D3. And for a short time i was. D2 was the reason i bought my first computer. But everything from the colourful WoW like graphics to the lack of my favorite class and now this..... i just cant be excited about this. On top of that Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is blowing everything about D3 out of the water. So it looks like blizzard will be losing my money to 38 studios.

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

Originally posted by Killerwoody

What I think is very dumb and makes it not worth playing! Is the real money trading for items.... Makes this game very unlikable, also its going to be just like SC2! Same game mechanics and pretty much same exact game just better graphics! Starcraft 2 was pure garbage just a knock off of the first Starcraft! Blizzard has lost there touch and there ability to make great games!

Same game?  Did you bother doing any research before this assessment?  Anyway,  concerning online only and latency issues,  here is an article that might interest all of you:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/latency-no-longer-a-factor-in-d3-combat

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

for both Diablo and Diablo2 -- I played them eagerly on Day 1

I know ill buy Diablo3 eventually but it wont be on release

the removal of old game features leaves me less inspired --- especially internet required

the paypal supported AH doesnt bother me as much as no offline mode

I hope D3 is better than StarCraft2

-- I personally found SC2 lacking in fun compared to the original SC

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Loke666

Lazyness? They thought "how can we get these money instead of some gold farming company?".

However I think this takes focus from the fact that this is more a Wow game than a real Diablo. I seen the old screens Blizzard North did before Blizz fired them, they actually looked just right. What we seen now is nothing near the 2 classic games. :(

Sorry, I may not have fully expressed what I meant by ActiBlizz being lazy.  What I mean is, its much easier and cheaper to just make it to where they cant make as much money by supporting it.  And yes it has a lot to do with greed like you said.  But it is lazy.  If they werent lazy and/or greedy then they would be able to develop a real method for combating RMT.  When you make millions a month it doesnt seem like it would be too hard to pay 10 smart people to sit on a think tank and figure it out. But whatever.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by hockeyplayr

I too am in beta, and yes D3 is worth it. The AH doesn't bother me, because I don't have to use it. It doesn't infiltrate in-game at all. You have to select it from the main menu screen. At the moment, only the gold AH is available for testing, it works and looks like a AH in a mmorpg, except you are browsing from a menu and not on your character.

The RM AH isn't available for testing, and to be truthful, I probably won't even bother with it. I can see where the D3 AH could affect their esport arena in D3, but me purchasing or not purchasing items doesn't affect my PvE game at all. I also have a group of friends I will group with and won't group randomly with people.

Ignoring the AH aspect is fairly easy

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by snoocky

Diablo isn't Diablo anymore...Just look at the graphis, where is the dark atmosphere??

To WoW-ish for my taste:(

I skip this one to....only game that looks like a Diablo game imo is...

You are obviously just attempting to market the game you are listing. Copying and pasting the same response into every thread.

• HurvartHurvart Member Posts: 565

I think its obvious that they include a real money AH to earn more money. A lot of players will use it to buy and sell. People with a lot of money and with less patience will buy the items they want from the AH because they will think its to much trouble and to tedious to spend a lot of time trying to find those items. And they want to be as powerful as possible as fast as possible.

Of course you can still play the game with friends without ever using the RM-AH. Its up to the player.

But I think the RM-AH will be a huge sucess from a bussines point of view. And will make Blizzard/Activision much richer. Much more long term profit compared to the way D2 worked.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by BillMurphy

This is kind of how I see it.  I just wish the net connection wasn't in place, but it's a cheaply done anti-piracy measure really.

I absolutely agree.  And no I dont want to pirate the game.  I dont mess with that. 

But I guess Im just too used to Diablo 1 and 2 where I dont have to stay connected to the net to play.  There are a slew of games like that.  In fact, I think other than mmorpgs, most games do not require that at all. 

Im going to have to take a pass.  I dont want games doing this.  So Im not going to support a game that does.  Or pretty soon every game will be needing an internet connection to play. 

Furthermore, is this going to save money?  Earn them more?  In what sense?  People who pirate games....well....pirate games.  They wouldnt, and werent paying for it in the first place.  That doesnt mean if you make a game pirate proof they're going to go out and buy it instead.  They'll just pirate something else and likely play that.  Companies always talk of the millions they lost due to piracy.  When I believe the fact is, those that pirate do so because they dont want to pay for games.   So is there a real loss?  What Im saying is Im not sure these sorts of people would really buy it no matter what. 

As for people put out by the fact its online only and not an mmorpg?  Well thats me.  So Im not going to buy it.  I wont support that.  And because of that?  Well they've lost my money.  Most people wont care either way, and will make a purchase.  I would have bought the game if it was able to be played offline just like I paid for the last two.  But all I can say is they've lost my money, maybe a few other peoples, and no pirate is going to buy it anyways. 

Therefore I say its pointless.  I dont really care about the real money auction house.  Whatever.  But the online only?  No thanks.  Either make a full fledged mmorpg or dont.  But if you dont, there better be an offline mode. 

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by Loke666

I would argue Diablo is far more than just the visuals, and even if it was just about visuals, it's just a slight adjustment to the art style. If you zoom really close, or take a screen shot and zoom in to the point of seeing the jaggies than you might have a point, but ever so small. The way it's meant to be played, all the way zoomed out, it looks much more detailed than WoW, with far better lighting and it's own feel. I guess you can choose o view it's style as WoW in isometric view but it would have to be a completely deliberate choice, try watching some of the HD videos from the F&F beta, it might not change your opinion, but it might give you a better sense of how the game looks in motion.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

That's deliberately reductive view on the whole matter. I won't deny it serves as DRM at some capacity, just not in a sense we are accustomed to experience DRM. I believe it's use here is more in line with keeping the game rules consistent for each client due to the RMAH and all the troubles real money brings to the whole equation. If ever was a reason to keep any sort of cheating or exploits to a minimum it's a situation like this. There are diffirent methods to battle cheating but I don't really know a more efficient one than keeping a constant eye on the client and monitoring every exchange it makes with the server.

As for the "cheaply" comment, if that was the case, wouldn't they just do what ubisoft is trying to do and put some code on top of the game that doesen't let the game run unless software detects it's being connected. Blizzard is splitting parts of the game and running it on the server while keeping the assets on your PC, much like WoW is doing. Keeping those two integrated seamlessly without you noticing it is a much bigger task than just gating the exe file from initiating without a connection.

If nothing else, at least Blizzard is trying to add addtional functionality to the always online requirement, cloud storage, you can play your char on any PC with D3 installed, persistent friend list trough all of your Blizzard games and constant stat tracking to allow fast and precise bug fixes or mechanics adjustments.

Originally posted by Killerwoody

Starcraft 2 made some huge changes to the way basic game play functions, on the surface it is the same game, but they made many quality of life changes to how you control your army and economy. The way campaign works was also completely changed, from delivery of story to the way it lets you customize your army trough upgrade choices. These changes might seem insignificent to you, but for someone who was very invested and loved the first Starcraft, I can say the changes were far from being just a knock off.

Diablo 3 is even more different from a gameplay point of view, with more imersive story delivery, better fleshed out characters, all the little enviroment details that bring the world to life, to completely changing how you aquire skills to ensure your customization is based on experimentation and personal play style.

P.S. I would just like to add, I would still prefer it offers an offline mode for people who really do suffer from poor internet, but for the rest of us who are online as soon as our PC is on, I just find it erroneous to complain about it.

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

I cant tell you how disapointed i was when i heard about the RMAH. I have been raving about d3 for years now, even back when we had that anouncement that it was in devlopment and heard it was scraped and they were starting over. I said to all my friends ( You know what, its probably better they scraped it because it wasent working and when the finaly rebuilt it it will be amazing". Unfortunately again blizzard made me eat my own words.. because honestly that is one thing i just cant get by. As sad as it sound i will not play a pay to win game. Im a comptetive person, and player, i like playing the games i buy and gradualy get stronger and then i compete in pvp and so one so forth. I hate RMT and i have any cash shop that alowes people to get stronger by using real money.

And when it comes down to it, and you look past all the smoke thats all the Real money AH is.. Pay to win, thers no way im going to buy a game, plug in countless hours into learning about it and beating everything tog et good, just to turn around and be wtf rolled by somone who just bought the game 3 days before and spent 500 bucks getting all the best gear that i did not find. Its complete and utter bull!

Blizzard is not what it used to be... money got to its head and since the vanilla wow they have done nothing but screw up everything the put out because of the greed circulating threw themselves and the activision side.. They pump out crap left and right and they keep adding new features to everything just to make them more money... Not like they are the richest gameing company int he world right now or anything.

To conclude, Screw blizzard, They were at one time the best computer gameing company Imo in the past, but since they fired all the people that actualy had a brain instead of a stack of cash between their ears its been all downhill. The company has turned into a big steaming pile of crap, and the games they are coming out with are following suit. (cant tell you how pissed i was about SC2, and the fact it was nothing near the origional as far as lastivity and fun) Untill blizzard gets its crap togeather, they will never get another penny of mine. Alone with about 30 other friends i personaly have that are on the same page with me on this.

• MalevilMalevil Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Tombill

2 points of observation.

This is ... Mmorpg.com and people complain HERE you need to be on line to play ... a multi player game with a real economy?

WTF, you ALL PLAY on line, you all post on line, you all talk 2424 hours a day about on line games and then whine ?,, WTF

Secondly

For the first time in history, an RPG that actually will let you make money from loot and even convert gold to dollars and selling things to real players instead of buying fake armor from developpers in cash shops is ... bad ???

Shakes the head and closes the door. Folks at mmorpg.com will never see anything until it's too late.

No one will play poker with fake chips when they experienced the real game for money once.

And so no wonder why every launched mmorpg went down the drain in here. You simply don't see anything coming do you ?<> Not even the cross server Lfg tool in Wow was mentioned here when it was launched. They completely skimped over the feature in the news editorial. Hallo ? Anybody home ?

Go enjoy your money from D3 you great visionary ... lol

• tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257

Originally posted by Tombill

2 points of observation.

This is ... Mmorpg.com and people complain HERE you need to be on line to play ... a multi player game with a real economy?

WTF, you ALL PLAY on line, you all post on line, you all talk 2424 hours a day about on line games and then whine ?,, WTF

Secondly

For the first time in history, an RPG that actually will let you make money from loot and even convert gold to dollars and selling things to real players instead of buying fake armor from developpers in cash shops is ... bad ???

Shakes the head and closes the door. Folks at mmorpg.com will never see anything until it's too late.

No one will play poker with fake chips when they experienced the real game for money once.

And so no wonder why every launched mmorpg went down the drain in here. You simply don't see anything coming do you ?<> Not even the cross server Lfg tool in Wow was mentioned here when it was launched. They completely skimped over the feature in the news editorial. Hallo ? Anybody home ?

Observation 1: I can agree with you there, however the diablo series was never built around being a online multiplayer game.  They had the feature, and many people played online, but when it came down to it it was a action adventure dungeon crawler that eveyone loved. Infact many of those people who played online played single player first to get used tot he game before jumping into a game where people knew alot more than them, and quite oftenly.. get killed in their games by high level elitesest ditbags with hacked gear (godly plate of whales anyone?). Also even if you werent 'flagged' as hostile and they couldent kill you.. they would burn threw to find you and kill all your mobs while you were trying to quest or level or even farm gear while running meph runs or later on count/summoner/meph/ (the necro guy that droped the 3rd key) and baal. So you need to understand that many people enjoyed just playing the game in single player and not being botherd.

Obeservation 2: Then obviously you have never gotton into poker... expecialy hold-em. Ive played for money 100's of times and i still play with chips of no real valurel. Why? Practice.. Poker is all about bluffing and luck... If you dont practice well.. go ahead and go to vegas.. when you living under a card board box because you lost everything dont come crying about how you could never go back to playing without money.

Other than that thats no where near as close as what blizzard is doing here. and long term consiquences are there.. Think about it, how many already disturbed people will sit there, playing and playing because they think they can make a living off of d3.. no joke. Also its kinda a step backwords.. last few years alot of companies are fighting rmt, instead bliz.. the one company with the reasorces to actualy put up a real fight, embraced it and joined the other side just to turn quick profit. and to make it worse they made the game pay to win.. Which is a 2nd strike to many of the people here at mmorpg.com.. and alot of mmo players that still paly P2P games. Why? because no one woudl be happy about turning around and getting wtf rolled by some guy that put in minimal effort and paid cash for all their gear.. Its retarded.

/rant off