Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is better than GW2 how?

marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

If I buy GW2 there is no sub, if I buy this I pay each month.

This is not a troll its a serious question, what do I get for my monthly subscription that makes this game better than GW2?

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by marcust

This is not a troll its a serious question, what do I get for my monthly subscription that makes this game better than GW2?

How can anyone answer this question? It's quite hard to judge or compare two products that most have not experienced at all.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dragonordragonor Member Posts: 19

distopia already said it: you can really judge about it/answer the question when both games are released here..

you could also turn around your question: is there something you dont/wont get (in gw2) cause of the no-subscription? (for example open-pvp,..)

so far we have seen some/alot high-quality-stuff of gw2: the graphics look pretty good.. it also seems to have some good music/alot voices.. a more active/direct combat-system.. the world is more persistent.. theres a good among of races/classes available even with some kind of own storyline/home-instance.. it has the big event-system.. there will be the wvwvw..

thats all alot of good/high-quality. but can they keep up the quality over all features/over time? and what about the quantity? (which is also very important in mmo's)

for sure this quality costs a lot of work.. money.. but gw2 has no subscription and they have to constrain on the money they get from selling the game and some "content" at the ig-store.

so my concern about gw2 is that they maybe put alot work/money in quality but it might has a lack of quantity at the end. but well how knows.. as already said: we have to wait for the releases/more informations from testers, etc.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

As a total fan of Guild Wars 2 and a casual follower of TERA, I can tell you exactly why I would play them side by side.

Politics.

Politics make a game hella fun as long as you are willing to commit to an organization and stick with them for victory or loss. Aside from that, TERA is standard MMO faire - aiming or no aiming it still seems pretty typical of MMORPGs. On how this game plays from a scale of WoW to EVE - It is pretty damn close to the middle. It's not quite "Wild West" but it is definitely a lot more player centric than WoW.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Bigger boobs on the females.  Oh, and the political system.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The combat in TERA looks pretty damn cool and more action packed than GW2,atleast in the videos Ive seen..

Sub or no,I'll be trying both MMO's

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

I'm going to play both :)

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

Politics AND the non-tabbing combat. Playing Dargon Nest at the moment and I find it really hard to go back to the traditional style combat. Dodging, aiming and all that jazz makes for a much for involved and fun combat system, combat being a HUGE not if the main part of 99% of MMOs. I will be buying/playing both GW2 and TERA though ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by Timukas

You will have a real fantasy world - play a panda in pink armor, fighting with a 20 meter long lance on foot. Or play a semi naked child, swinging an axe the size of a truck. Plus all the squeking and Korean oddities.

haha :] - yes :[

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

The politics does seem to be a differentiator, I was guild leader back in the L2 days when we took and held the Heine castle for 3 months, good times.

If the politics is as immersive as L2 was I will likely be there, but have they tried to sell us on any other significant differences yet?

If I had a choice of either today I would choose Tera based on the fun I had in L2, but I'd like more info.

Edit: Amazingly our old forums are still up:

http://www.lionna.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19401

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• andreika111andreika111 Member UncommonPosts: 88

simple. a different game.

• wyzimwyzim Member Posts: 13

Many avid MMORPG gamers would probably like to play both. If both of them are good(they look good so far), I myself will probably play both. Others will have to try each game by themselves and decide which one they find more enjoyable - and the subscription fee or the lack there of is going to be one of the deciding factor, not necessarily the only or the most important one.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Tera will mostly be PvP and killing monsters and crafting. Not much quests.

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Tera will mostly be PvP and killing monsters and crafting. Not much quests.

Nice demonstration of your knowledge there rofl.

Yes you have to do quests to level!! DUR! Thats the most efficient way of XPing in Tera! (killing elites is feasible too, but tiresome). Later on you need to group for most stuff. 

As for endgame. Its not worth discussing yet because its still being developed in Korea. What they have now, is not the endgame. Just what the Koreans have to play until they get some content.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • Master_M2KMaster_M2K Member Posts: 244

I don't think it's the case of which game will be better than the other, but which game offers the kind of experience you are looking for, in an MMORPG. Seeing how both games are incredibly different, such a choice should be easy to make, with a bit of research.

Quite frankly I will get Guild Wars 2 and not Tera, because unlike all the other MMORPGs, GW2 will allow me to level with my friends, no matter what the level disparity between us is. The combat is fun an exciting, without falling back on the tried & true holy trinity system, giving it the potential to be a true e-sports game. And it will potentially have the best large scale PvP setting, in the genre (DAoC 2.0).

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Comparing pears and grapefruits.

Mmmm... grapefruits.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Body paint on the models depicting females.

• imlazyxdimlazyxd Member UncommonPosts: 81

I can't really compare them either, since I didnt play GW2. However, I did play K-TERA though, and it wasn't anything special to me. The game was fun, but it didn't last long for me. The impression that I get from TERA is the Only thing the game has going for it is the combat action, graphics, and sweet boss encounters, thats just my opinion though. TERA still has that boring way of questing like any other MMORPG (you know what I mean), but the combat kind of hides it a little. I didn't play GW2 yet, but from what I know it has more player interaction and events. I'm not trying to be a GW2 fanboy or a know it all, but there isn't much to do in TERA once you get to the level cap. The only thing I did at cap was do a few dugeons everyday and gank some people with my friends LOL, however I really did enjoy TERA though. 

Edit: And No you cannot have my account... stop messaging...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Play the one that releases first.  If happy, stay--if not, see other game.

Doesn't seem like you need a hype engine to make up your mind for you?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

The combat system in TERA seems a lot more interesting. No macro spamming auto target features, relying more on skill(yes I said it), as opposed to button mashing in a sense. Heaven forbid that you would actually have to AIM for your target. The only issue I see is that like people have said, all their money for funding future deveopment of patches and expansions will be based off of their profit from sales and IG shop. I would rather pay a sub fee and give them money to put towards them developing and maintaining the to create a stable environment and keep it exciting by being to create and add new features and content. And I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with an in game shop. Because then you have a bunch of kids with parents who spoil them and toss money at these in game stores and in the end if you want all the nice stuff, you're paying more than the cost of a sub fee. GW2 is an amazing looking game and seems to have a lot of nice features and promises. I can only hope it holds up better than GW1.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss

The combat system in TERA seems a lot more interesting. No macro spamming auto target features, relying more on skill(yes I said it), as opposed to button mashing in a sense. Heaven forbid that you would actually have to AIM for your target. The only issue I see is that like people have said, all their money for funding future deveopment of patches and expansions will be based off of their profit from sales and IG shop. I would rather pay a sub fee and give them money to put towards them developing and maintaining the to create a stable environment and keep it exciting by being to create and add new features and content. And I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with an in game shop. Because then you have a bunch of kids with parents who spoil them and toss money at these in game stores and in the end if you want all the nice stuff, you're paying more than the cost of a sub fee. GW2 is an amazing looking game and seems to have a lot of nice features and promises. I can only hope it holds up better than GW1.

Macro spaming was replaced with the combo button which allocates all comboable skills to the spacebar after you active the first one. That is pretty much worse then a macro. While I agree with your opinion on have to AIM, TERA's combat isn't as interesting as you may think. It's pretty slow compared to other action based MMOs and I know this will annoy the more hardcore players.

I find it funny that people always jump to B2P or F2P equals more kids. Hey, have you played WoW within the last like 4 years? There are kids everywhere in P2P games too. Ever think that people who have to work more then others would prefer a game that they can play and not have to worry about spending 15 a month when they only get to play like 4 hours a week in comparison to someone who plays 40 hours a week? If people like the game then they will buy the content and pay for shop items if not then it doesn't get as much money. P2Ps are just as bad, look at Rift, it has a decent sub base but the updates are slow and very little content is added per update.

P2P no longer equals a better game. People need to get over this fact. If a cash shop bothers you then don't spend money in it and if it has P2W options that you hate then don't support the game by playing it, simple as that. A good company will listen and a bad company should just die out.

Originally posted by Otakun

Macro spaming was replaced with the combo button which allocates all comboable skills to the spacebar after you active the first one. That is pretty much worse then a macro. While I agree with your opinion on have to AIM, TERA's combat isn't as interesting as you may think. It's pretty slow compared to other action based MMOs and I know this will annoy the more hardcore players.

I find it funny that people always jump to B2P or F2P equals more kids. Hey, have you played WoW within the last like 4 years? There are kids everywhere in P2P games too. Ever think that people who have to work more then others would prefer a game that they can play and not have to worry about spending 15 a month when they only get to play like 4 hours a week in comparison to someone who plays 40 hours a week? If people like the game then they will buy the content and pay for shop items if not then it doesn't get as much money. P2Ps are just as bad, look at Rift, it has a decent sub base but the updates are slow and very little content is added per update.

P2P no longer equals a better game. People need to get over this fact. If a cash shop bothers you then don't spend money in it and if it has P2W options that you hate then don't support the game by playing it, simple as that. A good company will listen and a bad company should just die out.

I work 35+ hours a week, raising a kid and going to school. Most F2P games don't seem to be nearly as developed as most of the P2P ones. People who pay for in game items shouldn't have more nenefits to nicer items. We should still be able to get them even if we have to work for them in-game. If they're going to have a cash shop, then the only way I see to make it fair across the board IS for people who don't have a lot of time to grind the nicer items via group quests, raids or dungeons while still making them available in-game  cash shops for those who do have the time and would rather grind it out in-game rather then pay.

As much as people will give you input on either game, they're wasting their breath. As someone has already stated, no one has experienced this game yet. Its not out. They haven't been released. So that question can't really be answered at this time. Sure people will pull stuff out of their asses to act they know anything about the game. And even beta and current for the Korean release is different from when the port that we get.

As far as subbing or free monthly, in my eyes they only have a couple of advantages and disavdvantages. Free is great. But they're funding will come down to actual game sales and in game stores if they have them.  So being to fund nice patches to constantly fix issues and make game changes as in extra content and decent maintenance would be less than a game funded by not only sales, but subs as well. A successful game with subs will have a better financial pull over F2P for making the game better and and working order.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

As much as people will give you input on either game, they're wasting their breath. As someone has already stated, no one has experienced this game yet. Its not out. They haven't been released. So that question can't really be answered at this time. Sure people will pull stuff out of their asses to act they know anything about the game. And even beta and current for the Korean release is different from when the port that we get.

As far as subbing or free monthly, in my eyes they only have a couple of advantages and disavdvantages. Free is great. But they're funding will come down to actual game sales and in game stores if they have them.  So being to fund nice patches to constantly fix issues and make game changes as in extra content and decent maintenance would be less than a game funded by not only sales, but subs as well. A successful game with subs will have a better financial pull over F2P for making the game better and and working order.

GW2 will be funded by box sales. TERA is ONLY being funded at the moment by subs cause in Korea you don't buy a box version of the game. So, GW2 will have a lot bigger initial push then TERA did and if the playerbase of GW2 grows, depending if it's good or not, then it will keep getting decent funding to provide content and changes. I am sure if TERA can last this long on subs alone to provide the content updates that it needs that GW2 can last long enough to provide content on a regular basis. Even if it charges 20 bucks per content update every 3 months (not based on any actual info), it will still be cheaper then TERA in the west overall and still provide enough money to keep things running.

This is also not counting the merchandise that GW2 is already selling which I am sure it got them a little extra cash since the Charr plushie is already sold out.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

Originally posted by Otakun

GW2 will be funded by box sales. TERA is ONLY being funded at the moment by subs cause in Korea you don't buy a box version of the game. So, GW2 will have a lot bigger initial push then TERA did and if the playerbase of GW2 grows, depending if it's good or not, then it will keep getting decent funding to provide content and changes. I am sure if TERA can last this long on subs alone to provide the content updates that it needs that GW2 can last long enough to provide content on a regular basis. Even if it charges 20 bucks per content update every 3 months (not based on any actual info), it will still be cheaper then TERA in the west overall and still provide enough money to keep things running.

This is also not counting the merchandise that GW2 is already selling which I am sure it got them a little extra cash since the Charr plushie is already sold out.

Your theory is good until you add that TERA when its released in the West will already have undergone a whole round of updates, balancing and bug fixing from the Korean release, it would be like getting WoW released at TBC level, it will just be much better, as soon as GW2 releases there will balancing issues, bugs and oversights that just didnt crop up on betas/testing that is just the way it goes, will it be starved of content in the first couple of months, we dont know, while TERA has already been played through they already know what to expect in the  first few months.

On topic however I will be getting both, GW2 since it has no sub I will play it on the side and hop in and out without consequence, and TERA like someone said I played L2 for 4 years since release, to this day the politics in that game really outweight everything, hopefully TERA will capture that.