Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With all DUE respect, apparently very little.

124»

Comments

• Originally posted by greenstoned

is it me or this is kinda overzealous

It's not you, it's overzealousness in hyperdrive. IMO, it doesn't matter to me if a game like Diablo 3 gets coverage here, or not. No, it's not an MMO, but it is a close cousin. A lot of people, here, don't only play MMO's (like me), and don't see a big problem with columns or forums on games that have some similarites to MMO's. In the end, like a lot of these member threads, this is just another case of the following:

"I really liked this girl in high school....her name was MMORPG Dot Com. I asked her to the senior prom and she said 'no', so now my feelings (and butt) are hurt, but I SHALL have my revenge!"

Seriously, these petty and trite threads get old.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Who cares if it is an MMO or not, there is a lot of interest in this game by people who visit this site. So why not have a forum to discuss it? Rules are to guide wise men and for fools to follow.

After all there is a section on this site where we can talk about non-mmo games, so if you want to complain about anything complain that it is not in that particular section, but that is a rule (see above for advice on that) and anyone with half a brain would not put Diablo 3 in that section anyway as it should have a who section for itself as it has.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Aori

I don't understand the hate with this.. again. Do you pay the bills? do you pay a subscription fee to read articles? You can pick up a magazine that is based on something you are interested in, however there will be ads and possibily other articles related to what you're reading but NOT the same thing. This is not any different, either skip the page or read.

Tired of new genres and sub genres popping up everyday. Cause yanno i can't wait to go pick up that new FPSMOBARTSRPG! Really though, the only game that i can think of that really still holds true to what an MMORPG should be is Lineage2. Everything else is mostly a hub in which characters rarely see each other in the game world or outside of an instance.

I come to MMORPG.com for anything online RPG related. The site has had non mmo discussions for quite some time now.. nothing new so move along.

This is how I feel too. If you don't like what is placed here, then stop visiting....fairly simple thing to do. However, the staff are attempting to generate as many hits to their site as possible, and adding numerous games is a way to do that.

I too enjoy reading this site, because it covers many of the games I enjoy. Besides, what's in a name? What if they changed the banner to MMO+RPG.com? Then this "debate" become null, and they could add games like Skyrim :P

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

Diablo 3 is not an MMORPG. This thread is still stupid.

Let me elaborate: What exactly is the point of this thread? Why the rage on a forum that might not be a perfect fit for this site? Does it decrease the user experience? Does it decrease the quality of content? Does it enter OPs home and burn down OPs couches? No, it's just another forum which people can visit IF THE WANT.

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

so i read a few of the responses. and going by the words of the D3 defenders.... Call of Duty should also be considered an MMORPG. is it an RPG? yes, you roleplay a soldie/soldiers (heck, i am sure you can use an RPG for a weapon). is it multyplayer? hell yes, big parn of modern warfare. massive? more people play COD than anything.. so yes. therefore call of duty is the most succesful mmorpg series in the world. point made.

OP agree completely with you

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

Originally posted by xm522

so i read a few of the responses. and going by the words of the D3 defenders.... Call of Duty should also be considered an MMORPG. is it an RPG? yes, you roleplay a soldie/soldiers (heck, i am sure you can use an RPG for a weapon). is it multyplayer? hell yes, big parn of modern warfare. massive? more people play COD than anything.. so yes. therefore call of duty is the most succesful mmorpg series in the world. point made.

Clearly an idiot, call of duty and every game like it is known as an "F-P-S" it has its own genre and everything, you dont follow and live the life of your character, you act scenes in "First-Person-Shooter" mode. What has the education system come to =[.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

With this type of logic you can prove anything lol.

Is a man an insect? Yes, an insect eats and so does a man, so they are the same. pont made.. Not.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

It's simple:

You call a game an MMO whenever you feel like it. Will you get slapped for it in court? No. Will there be "Is it really an MMO?" discussions in various forums? Yes.

Case closed.

Originally posted by lennpell

Clearly an idiot, call of duty and every game like it is known as an "F-P-S" it has its own genre and everything, you dont follow and live the life of your character, you act scenes in "First-Person-Shooter" mode. What has the education system come to =[.

obviously your IQ is 80. just beause it is a first person shooter does not mean you are not role playing. you are indeed role playing, unless you are ofcourse the actual soldier, in that case, try no to die.

you see, when you are playing MOST video games you are role playing a character you are not (this is a 99.99% of the time thing). so thanks for giving the oportunity to make you look retarded. enjoy :D!

Originally posted by VultureSkull

With this type of logic you can prove anything lol.

Is a man an insect? Yes, an insect eats and so does a man, so they are the same. pont made.. Not.

well thanks for undersanding my post. this is the same logic defenders of D3 (as being an mmo) use. it is completely flawed, and my post was made to more obviously express that.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

This site lists at least ten titles that are not MMORPGs.

One more makes absolutely no difference. If the admins of this site choose to list some titles that are not strictly MMORPGs then so be it. If it honestly bothers you that much you have every right to utilize another site for your MMORPG News. Nobody has a gun to your head, forcing you to view this site.

btw diablo 3 and every game like it have their own genre and are known as 'action rpg'

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by Kost

This site lists at least ten titles that are not MMORPGs.

One more makes absolutely no difference. If the admins of this site choose to list some titles that are not strictly MMORPGs then so be it. If it honestly bothers you that much you have every right to utilize another site for your MMORPG News. Nobody has a gun to your head, forcing you to view this site.

I wouldn't bet on it, he sounds frantic to say the least. Might actually be a MMORPG extremist group standing behind him with a gun yelling "IF YOU DONT GET THIS NON MMORPG FORUM AWAY FROM MMORPG.COM YOU SHALL DIE".

Just saying...

Originally posted by Aori

Diablo has always been an RPG, COD has never been considered an RPG. RPG usually involves character development to be considered as such. Most FPS games have limited development which involves weapons only.

yes, i completely agree, call of duty is no RPG, but by going with the logic of D3 defenders saying it is an mmo, i can still say cod is an mmo. the problem is not diablo not being an RPG, the problem is, it is not an MMORPG. it is an action role playing game, there is no grey area

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

btw diablo 3 and every game like it have their own genre and are known as 'action rpg'

Yeah, and further classification you can say Diablo-II falls into the rogue-like subgenre with it's hardcore mode. Diablo 3 will probably retain that.

The classifications!?

No wonder Pluto is no longer a planet.

Cuz of you. You know who you are... YOU!

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Yeah, and further classification you can say Diablo-II falls into the rogue-like subgenre with it's hardcore mode. Diablo 3 will probably retain that.

The classifications!?

No wonder Pluto is no longer a planet.

Cuz of you. You know who you are... YOU!

i am sorry, but... what? there is no sub genre which can be used to classify a game... they are not the primal nature of the game.

and as someone who studies physicist (major)... i can tell you that Pluto is not a planet. if we were to clasify pluto as a planet (as cute as he is), we would have to classify many other non-planetary bodies as planets.

• loradoveloradove Member UncommonPosts: 62

All, it is okay to share your thoughts and opinions about any games, but it is not acceptable to start the name calling and antagonizing other posters. MikeB has mentioned earlier on to leave this thread open - provided conversations are being kept civil. Since it has turned into circular arguments and several personal attacks, I am going to lock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.