Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

With all DUE respect, apparently very little.

Comments

• bronecarbronecar onestiPosts: 685Member

Well, there was a poll opened some time ago asking people whether they wanted Diablo 3 to be added on the site or not.

So I'm guessing purists will have to deal with it. I personally voted yes.

Not to mention most MMORPG's posted here or elsewhere are crap, whereas Diablo is a great game.

And btw, how many ''MMORPG's" listed belong here? Jesus...

• Lambon23Lambon23 New York, NYPosts: 40Member

I will add to this.

Just because it is multiplayer, does not make it a massive multiplayer. Massive multiplayer is intended to imply just that.

To state this game is a massive multiplayer game simply because you can chat with people before you join the game is rather dumb of you.

I agree what OP says about this game not being an MMO but to make demands? I think OP should get over himself and get over this. It isn't a big deal and it just lets people discuss their favorite game right here.

Get over it.

• tank017tank017 Glendale, CAPosts: 2,192Member

Diablo is NOT an MMO..its plain and simple..

having six players in a game no where near justifies this game as an mmo..that would mean that EVERY GAME WITH MULTIPLAYER CAPABILITY is an MMO,which couldnt be anymore wrong..

I was against them putting this game on here when they inquired about it with their poll.Though,all along I knew they'd put it on here regardless of the outome..

its all about the $$$

To those who are saying "define MMO"....what needs to be defined here?  M = MASSIVELY,in this case meaning ALOT OF PEOPLE  M = MULTIPLAYER,THOSE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE ARE PLAYING TOGETHER O = ONLINE

• twodayslatetwodayslate Almost Mexico, CAPosts: 724Member

Calm down, it's not like this is the first lobby-based non-MMO title that they've added.  There are several titles of this type included in the game list, the site has been adding them since well before D3's existence as more than a rumor was ever confirmed.

• greenstonedgreenstoned asd, ALPosts: 20Member

is it me or this is kinda overzealous

• BlackWatchBlackWatch OKC, OKPosts: 983Member

I really don't see Diablo as an MMORPG either.

I don't think it really matters, tbh.  No, I don't think it should be listed on the site along with other true MMORPG's, but whatev.

I mean, I really don't want all the trashed F2P asian-grinder-esque games on the site either.  WTB filter to remove all adds and F2P game information. 

Anyway, to stay on topic... Blizz is going to try as hard as they can to turn Diablo III into another E-Sport game with the 'pvp-arena'.  That still doesn't make it an MMORPG, though.  They don't refer to it as an MMORPG internal to the company either.

Online-enabled RPG with multi-player elements. 

• ArzacaneArzacane Dayton, OHPosts: 24Member

Diablo is an MMO in it's own reguards. Hundreds of people log into the main server. Though it may not be a graphical city or marketplace, it's still a place where people meet up and run off to do what ever. If it were the case that only games such as WoW and EQ and others of that nature that have open worlds hundreds of people can quest in at a time, games such as Dungeons and Dragons Online, LoL and the up coming Wrath Of Heroes would have to get removed as they have little areas where people meet up, but when it comes to questing, they form small parties (not nearly the 100+ as the OP stated) and they get their own quest area, finish it then head back to the 'graphical lobby' or what not. Another famous game would be GW. There's plenty MMOs out there that don't have the huge massive areas where people go play in, but they all have their gathering place, graphical or chatroom styled, where everyone can meet up.

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,949Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Arzacane

Diablo is an MMO in it's own reguards. Hundreds of people log into the main server. Though it may not be a graphical city or marketplace, it's still a place where people meet up and run off to do what ever. If it were the case that only games such as WoW and EQ and others of that nature that have open worlds hundreds of people can quest in at a time, games such as Dungeons and Dragons Online, LoL and the up coming Wrath Of Heroes would have to get removed as they have little areas where people meet up, but when it comes to questing, they form small parties (not nearly the 100+ as the OP stated) and they get their own quest area, finish it then head back to the 'graphical lobby' or what not. Another famous game would be GW. There's plenty MMOs out there that don't have the huge massive areas where people go play in, but they all have their gathering place, graphical or chatroom styled, where everyone can meet up.

No, that is not even a CORPG.

It is a multiplayer RPG just like Biowares Never winter nights, or possibly a multiplayer action game. Nothing wrong with that (I still think NWN is the best multiplayer RPG I ever played and that includes MMOs) but it have nothing to do on this site.

• AsheramAsheram San Diego, CAPosts: 1,989Member Uncommon

Omg how many of these "Why is this game on your list it isnt a MMO" threads do we have to go thru til people figure out that it is a free sight and that the ones who pay the bills can write about whatever the hell they want to.Be glad I am not funding the sight because I would start putting up articles about MOVIES and MUSIC just to piss those that cry over this off.

• kilunkilun Apopka, FLPosts: 709Member Common

Sorry for not replying last night, this thread just got way to comical and out of hand to continue on that late and I had enough laughs

@WSImike

I understand at its core it isn't an MMORPG by what I normally classify an MMO as, but that alone is getting changed with the way games are developed.

You stated in reply #32

"One of the core and essential elements of a MMORPG is thousands of people sharing the same persistent world at the same time."

So by that definition games with one server but shards, Cryptics games for example, aren't even MMO's.  How does that relate to games that don't have high populations, should we remove the first "M"?  I don't state this to be ignorant or trying to be an ass, I feel its an honest question.

Some games have what we consider Massive gameplay, rifting in RIFT on a pvp server sure comes to mind as a newer release.  But more and more games get away from open world content and focus solely on instanced content.  I frankly don't like this content.

I suppose the basic fundamental would be can thousands could potential interact with each other, but really how many players are going to be in the same spot doing more than standing around?  A few hundred?  I haven't seen massive battles since Shadowbane really.  RIFT probably had a few and I'd wager EVE and Darkfall had the same as Shadowbane and probably on a fairly often basis.  So really only a few games have gameplay that allows players to do more than stand around and shout at each other.  I would even say the term "persistant world" has been removed in games with instances because it is no longer persistant.

With that said what really is the difference between 1000 people standing around waiting for an instance queue and 1000 people in a chat channel in games that focus on instanced content and not open world objectives?

www.ozumgames.com

• someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,538Member Uncommon

So basically any shooter that has some kind of minimal toon progression with an online multiplayer option can also be called MMORPG from now on?

And how does the singleplayer experience fit into this?

EDIT : The only reason I can think of why they put it on this website, is because it doesnt fit on any of the affiliated sites either.

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon

I don't understand the hate with this.. again. Do you pay the bills? do you pay a subscription fee to read articles? You can pick up a magazine that is based on something you are interested in, however there will be ads and possibily other articles related to what you're reading but NOT the same thing. This is not any different, either skip the page or read.

Tired of new genres and sub genres popping up everyday. Cause yanno i can't wait to go pick up that new FPSMOBARTSRPG! Really though, the only game that i can think of that really still holds true to what an MMORPG should be is Lineage2. Everything else is mostly a hub in which characters rarely see each other in the game world or outside of an instance.

I come to MMORPG.com for anything online RPG related. The site has had non mmo discussions for quite some time now.. nothing new so move along.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Aberdeen, NCPosts: 252Member

Originally posted by Senerius

OK  wow hmmm gee lets see....

Is Diablo 3 a rpg?  YES!  I don't think anyone disputes this.

Is Diablo 3 massively multiplayer online?    Hmmm Can alot of players play this game at the same time and does it require internet?  The answer is yes. 

lolololololololololol

Rift

• Originally posted by greenstoned

is it me or this is kinda overzealous

It's not you, it's overzealousness in hyperdrive. IMO, it doesn't matter to me if a game like Diablo 3 gets coverage here, or not. No, it's not an MMO, but it is a close cousin. A lot of people, here, don't only play MMO's (like me), and don't see a big problem with columns or forums on games that have some similarites to MMO's. In the end, like a lot of these member threads, this is just another case of the following:

"I really liked this girl in high school....her name was MMORPG Dot Com. I asked her to the senior prom and she said 'no', so now my feelings (and butt) are hurt, but I SHALL have my revenge!"

Seriously, these petty and trite threads get old.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull LONDONPosts: 1,774Member Uncommon

Who cares if it is an MMO or not, there is a lot of interest in this game by people who visit this site. So why not have a forum to discuss it? Rules are to guide wise men and for fools to follow.

After all there is a section on this site where we can talk about non-mmo games, so if you want to complain about anything complain that it is not in that particular section, but that is a rule (see above for advice on that) and anyone with half a brain would not put Diablo 3 in that section anyway as it should have a who section for itself as it has.

• KanethKaneth Posts: 1,922Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Aori

I don't understand the hate with this.. again. Do you pay the bills? do you pay a subscription fee to read articles? You can pick up a magazine that is based on something you are interested in, however there will be ads and possibily other articles related to what you're reading but NOT the same thing. This is not any different, either skip the page or read.

Tired of new genres and sub genres popping up everyday. Cause yanno i can't wait to go pick up that new FPSMOBARTSRPG! Really though, the only game that i can think of that really still holds true to what an MMORPG should be is Lineage2. Everything else is mostly a hub in which characters rarely see each other in the game world or outside of an instance.

I come to MMORPG.com for anything online RPG related. The site has had non mmo discussions for quite some time now.. nothing new so move along.

This is how I feel too. If you don't like what is placed here, then stop visiting....fairly simple thing to do. However, the staff are attempting to generate as many hits to their site as possible, and adding numerous games is a way to do that.

I too enjoy reading this site, because it covers many of the games I enjoy. Besides, what's in a name? What if they changed the banner to MMO+RPG.com? Then this "debate" become null, and they could add games like Skyrim :P

• MadatanMadatan PitePosts: 167Member Uncommon

Diablo 3 is not an MMORPG. This thread is still stupid.

Let me elaborate: What exactly is the point of this thread? Why the rage on a forum that might not be a perfect fit for this site? Does it decrease the user experience? Does it decrease the quality of content? Does it enter OPs home and burn down OPs couches? No, it's just another forum which people can visit IF THE WANT.

• xm522xm522 Miami, FLPosts: 114Member Uncommon

so i read a few of the responses. and going by the words of the D3 defenders.... Call of Duty should also be considered an MMORPG. is it an RPG? yes, you roleplay a soldie/soldiers (heck, i am sure you can use an RPG for a weapon). is it multyplayer? hell yes, big parn of modern warfare. massive? more people play COD than anything.. so yes. therefore call of duty is the most succesful mmorpg series in the world. point made.

OP agree completely with you

• lennpelllennpell madawaska, MEPosts: 109Member

Originally posted by xm522

so i read a few of the responses. and going by the words of the D3 defenders.... Call of Duty should also be considered an MMORPG. is it an RPG? yes, you roleplay a soldie/soldiers (heck, i am sure you can use an RPG for a weapon). is it multyplayer? hell yes, big parn of modern warfare. massive? more people play COD than anything.. so yes. therefore call of duty is the most succesful mmorpg series in the world. point made.

Clearly an idiot, call of duty and every game like it is known as an "F-P-S" it has its own genre and everything, you dont follow and live the life of your character, you act scenes in "First-Person-Shooter" mode. What has the education system come to =[.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull LONDONPosts: 1,774Member Uncommon

With this type of logic you can prove anything lol.

Is a man an insect? Yes, an insect eats and so does a man, so they are the same. pont made.. Not.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL NetherlandsPosts: 2,280Member Common

It's simple:

You call a game an MMO whenever you feel like it. Will you get slapped for it in court? No. Will there be "Is it really an MMO?" discussions in various forums? Yes.

Case closed.

Originally posted by lennpell

Clearly an idiot, call of duty and every game like it is known as an "F-P-S" it has its own genre and everything, you dont follow and live the life of your character, you act scenes in "First-Person-Shooter" mode. What has the education system come to =[.

obviously your IQ is 80. just beause it is a first person shooter does not mean you are not role playing. you are indeed role playing, unless you are ofcourse the actual soldier, in that case, try no to die.

you see, when you are playing MOST video games you are role playing a character you are not (this is a 99.99% of the time thing). so thanks for giving the oportunity to make you look retarded. enjoy :D!

Originally posted by VultureSkull

With this type of logic you can prove anything lol.

Is a man an insect? Yes, an insect eats and so does a man, so they are the same. pont made.. Not.

well thanks for undersanding my post. this is the same logic defenders of D3 (as being an mmo) use. it is completely flawed, and my post was made to more obviously express that.

• KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

This site lists at least ten titles that are not MMORPGs.

One more makes absolutely no difference. If the admins of this site choose to list some titles that are not strictly MMORPGs then so be it. If it honestly bothers you that much you have every right to utilize another site for your MMORPG News. Nobody has a gun to your head, forcing you to view this site.

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon

Originally posted by lennpell

obviously your IQ is 80. just beause it is a first person shooter does not mean you are not role playing. you are indeed role playing, unless you are ofcourse the actual soldier, in that case, try no to die.

you see, when you are playing MOST video games you are role playing a character you are not (this is a 99.99% of the time thing). so thanks for giving the oportunity to make you look retarded. enjoy :D!

Diablo has always been an RPG, COD has never been considered an RPG. RPG usually involves character development to be considered as such. Most FPS games have limited development which involves weapons only.

This discussion has been closed.