Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With all DUE respect, apparently very little.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by loreofchaos

http://www.kbinternetlaw.com/falseadvertising.html

Read very carefully. Give away events make mmorpg subject to these laws, They are considered taxeable items.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/

Read again very carefully, Mmorpg.com is now breaking laws against consumer rights and threatens involvment of blizzard.

I'm not an expert but I think you misunderstand how these "giveaways" are handled. The tangible item of interest isn't even in MMORPG's hands. The companies sponsoring these deals have control over said items. MMORPG is basically the messenger, same goes for Masively, Gamespot or anyone else offering these sweepstakes.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

This is in indeed a very sad move for mmorpg.com we know have to handle even more blind Blizzardfanbois (most probably didn't even know the company before 2005) and now hack n slay Blizzard crowd.

Thought this site would be about MMORPGS but well I guess with crap like LoL added, the writting has been on the wall its really too bad :(

(sad sad panda)

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• lennpelllennpell Member UncommonPosts: 111

OP thinks the world revolves around him.

Everyone that agreed with the OP are sheep.

Everyone that stated facts and put up with the BS the OP spat out this whole time, you people are the only reason I can put up with the world we live in.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Muhahaha. Accuse more.

Also you should have joined the discussion and the public vote to have or not have this forum at an earlier time.

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

One word will do.

Haters.

• RelytDnegelRelytDnegel Member UncommonPosts: 261

lol

nuff said

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

This is a thread simply full of hate-mongering. Let's all just be friends and love each other. We are all part of the same community and need to start acting like it...

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

Well he is free to speak hes mind.

I personally dont give a sh**.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Diablo 3 isn't an MMORPG. That being said, I don't mind it having a section here... but they had damn well better give Torchlight 2, Path of Exile, Drakensang Online, Realm of the Mad God, etc. the same treatment! I mean, what makes them any less deserving than Diablo 3 (other than the fact their publishers don't have boatloads of money)?

Several of the games I listed are, IMO, closer to being MMO's than D3 (Realm of the Mad God IS an MMO, in fact), yet are largely ignored by this site. I think that bothers me far more than D3 having its own section. Pretty much proves that money is all that matters.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Originally posted by MikeB

Hi,

So we were on the fence about adding this game to the list and so what we did is we got community input involved by allowing users to vote on whether or not they wanted to see this game listed on MMORPG.com. I believe we let the poll run for something like a month, heck, it may even still be enabled. The tally as it currently stands is 59% for 41% against. That's a pretty clear margin in favor and so we went ahead and listened to what you guys said with your votes and added the game.

We appreciate your feedback and concerns but we ultimately left this decision up to you guys, the community, and you spoke loudly and clearly that you wanted Diablo III here at the site. Obviously, the 41% who voted against the decision are going to be unhappy with the decision, but I would imagine they were happy they had a chance to make their voice heard instead of us just adding the game or something like that.

I'll also add, for those that are concerned, that we are not planning to cover this game with the same priority as any MMOs. We just wanted to give you guys a space to discuss the game and cover some of the major news surrounding the game. We're not going to update you on every Diablo III patch or update, etc.

Thanks.

Have nothing against diablo 3 but if that's the case why you people never made these polls for single player games with multiplayer? some examples:

Neverwinter nights, dungeon siege, two worlds 1/2, etc etc

All of these classify if diablo 3 is am I right?

So explain me why only blizzard game got you people doubting if adding it or not.

If people remember long ago this very site was turned for a few days/weeks all ads of dragon age origins and not only the background picture but even some of the ui of the site.

To me that shows you care for the rules of your site but when money is involved you won't mind breaching these very same rules. (I know it's their site they can do whatever they want just this wont come without consequences in the future, some people might migrate to some other site and/or in the future this site will no longer be focused on mmorpgs only.)

• askdabossaskdaboss Member UncommonPosts: 631

http://www.kbinternetlaw.com/falseadvertising.html

Read very carefully. Give away events make mmorpg subject to these laws, They are considered taxeable items.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/

Read again very carefully, Mmorpg.com is now breaking laws against consumer rights and threatens involvment of blizzard.

Well, if you are so sure of yourself, what don't you just sue them on that ground, then, rather than making empty forum threats? You might even make them pay for "psychological damage" since you seem to take this issue at heart.

Or perhaps you actually don't believe in what you are saying and are just throwing things in the air in a pathetic attempt to impress or threaten?

PS: If you chose to sue them, can you please let us know: A) how much you paid for your attorney, B) the outcome of the procedure? Thanks in advance.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Originally posted by kilun

What is a mmorpg doing  creating FORUMS and gauging a RPG not a MMORPG, are you or are you not rpg? Are you falsely advertising what you represent? If so what would Crag the original creator of this site over 10 years ago think? Would you spit on his very own creation or is he doing it himself? I once spoke with the man who knew honor and mercy, but what he hell is this? you are not a rpg sight you are mmorpg you are BREACHING your own minor infractions remove this forum at once, you are out of line. Unless given specific reasons that this is a mmorpg instead of rpg which you won't unless you plan to lie to the entire world you have no businessn or reason of having a existing forum create another site meant for rpgs instead of mmorpgs if you want this here. 

MMORPG.com is a site to discuss massively multiplayer online roleplay gaming. While users are encouraged and permitted to use our Off-Topic forum to discuss real life and non-MMORPG gaming, threads concerning sensitive subjects such as religion, politics, or ethics may be locked or deleted if determined out of hand by the MMORPG.com moderator staff.

I need not say anymore these rules was wiritten by mmorpg's own staff.

Define MMORPG?  I bet you will get about 15 different answers.

Do you feel that Guild Wars belongs on this forum?

Why did you not post an uproar about WarRock for example which is a FPS by all intend purposes.

Why is LoL on the forums list but not HoN?

Seriously what is the difference between 20 people sitting in some city in an MMO waiting to queue up for an instance to where they will play by themselves and a chat interface doing the same thing?  Explain to me the difference.

Guild wars just claffified itself as a accepted term of mmorpg when 80 people are standing in front of a entrance at channel 1 with 500 people standing at the damn crafting station, before you think there really IS 15 answers maybe you best just think about what truly is questionable and what isn't, I don't know about a damn thing about warrock it isn't no Diable nor a blizzard product and honestly, I don't have the time of day to be checking out what is and isn't under its classification but diable 3 has clearly been stated by its OWN developers that it is NOT considered a mmorpg, it is a action rpg as it has always been there is no GREY in this son. If you have a problem with how reality places with a grey go to a place where such arguments are valid this is a black and white matter, and its own stamp of approval has not only been known through out the damn world but recongize by wiki as well as its creator for over 10 years now. Mmorpg.com its violating its own rules. Hypocracy is no excuse and questioning a non grey area makes you look utterly the fool.

If Blizzard specifically states that Diablo 3 is not an MMORPG then I'm forced to agree with you.  However, claiming that adding an action rpg to an mmorpg site is an act of tyranny is dramatic and baseless.  In today's world when RPGs of all natures are blurring the lines of RPG classifications then we would be foolish to ignore them because of a literal interpretation of the term MMO.  Truely, one of the strongest "powers" of culture is to take language and change it.

In my recent experiences in playing games like WoW, Warhammer, and Guild Wars I find it impossible to ignore the similarities with my other experiences in games like Diablo, Sacred, or even Demon's Souls.  As our MMOs evolve there are many "mainstream" titles who boast a significant amount of gameplay that relies on a "lobby" based system, the very system that games such as Diablo and Sacred have been built around for years.  At the same time we watch games like Diablo 3 enhance the features of their "lobbies" to a point where the only difference is the graphical interface does not require you to run from point A to point B.  Let's take it a step further and examine a game that is surely an "action RPG", Demon's Souls.  For those that take part in the online play, the world is their "lobby" and one can interact with online players without speaking a word or ever "joining" their game. 

In conclusion I think to consider the possibilities of including other online RPGs on the site is a sign of evolution and polling the userbase helps gauge the trend of our culture.  Lets try to not turn the RPG world into another PC vs Console or CoD vs Battlefield war with stubborn idealogy.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Originally posted by MikeB

Hi,

So we were on the fence about adding this game to the list and so what we did is we got community input involved by allowing users to vote on whether or not they wanted to see this game listed on MMORPG.com. I believe we let the poll run for something like a month, heck, it may even still be enabled. The tally as it currently stands is 59% for 41% against. That's a pretty clear margin in favor and so we went ahead and listened to what you guys said with your votes and added the game.

We appreciate your feedback and concerns but we ultimately left this decision up to you guys, the community, and you spoke loudly and clearly that you wanted Diablo III here at the site. Obviously, the 41% who voted against the decision are going to be unhappy with the decision, but I would imagine they were happy they had a chance to make their voice heard instead of us just adding the game or something like that.

I'll also add, for those that are concerned, that we are not planning to cover this game with the same priority as any MMOs. We just wanted to give you guys a space to discuss the game and cover some of the major news surrounding the game. We're not going to update you on every Diablo III patch or update, etc.

Thanks.

Have nothing against diablo 3 but if that's the case why you people never made these polls for single player games with multiplayer? some examples:

Neverwinter nights, dungeon siege, two worlds 1/2, etc etc

All of these classify if diablo 3 is am I right?

So explain me why only blizzard game got you people doubting if adding it or not.

If people remember long ago this very site was turned for a few days/weeks all ads of dragon age origins and not only the background picture but even some of the ui of the site.

To me that shows you care for the rules of your site but when money is involved you won't mind breaching these very same rules. (I know it's their site they can do whatever they want just this wont come without consequences in the future, some people might migrate to some other site and/or in the future this site will no longer be focused on mmorpgs only.)

I enjoy all of the games you mention but I think the userbase in their current incarnations has shrunk to a point where they aren't paid much attention in these discussions.  Alternatively when the originals were released (I think they were much more popular back then) there was a much more difinitive line between MMORPG and single/multiplayer RPGs.  Since that time many more MMOs have included some sort of lobby system to their game and the single player RPGs are receiving much more multiplayer attention.  I think if neverwinter were released tomorrow this thread could very well be in a Neverwinter forum on the site.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Well, there was a poll opened some time ago asking people whether they wanted Diablo 3 to be added on the site or not.

So I'm guessing purists will have to deal with it. I personally voted yes.

Not to mention most MMORPG's posted here or elsewhere are crap, whereas Diablo is a great game.

And btw, how many ''MMORPG's" listed belong here? Jesus...

• Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66

I will add to this.

Just because it is multiplayer, does not make it a massive multiplayer. Massive multiplayer is intended to imply just that.

To state this game is a massive multiplayer game simply because you can chat with people before you join the game is rather dumb of you.

I agree what OP says about this game not being an MMO but to make demands? I think OP should get over himself and get over this. It isn't a big deal and it just lets people discuss their favorite game right here.

Get over it.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Diablo is NOT an MMO..its plain and simple..

having six players in a game no where near justifies this game as an mmo..that would mean that EVERY GAME WITH MULTIPLAYER CAPABILITY is an MMO,which couldnt be anymore wrong..

I was against them putting this game on here when they inquired about it with their poll.Though,all along I knew they'd put it on here regardless of the outome..

its all about the $$$

To those who are saying "define MMO"....what needs to be defined here?  M = MASSIVELY,in this case meaning ALOT OF PEOPLE  M = MULTIPLAYER,THOSE MASSIVE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE ARE PLAYING TOGETHER O = ONLINE

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Calm down, it's not like this is the first lobby-based non-MMO title that they've added.  There are several titles of this type included in the game list, the site has been adding them since well before D3's existence as more than a rumor was ever confirmed.

• greenstonedgreenstoned Member UncommonPosts: 21

is it me or this is kinda overzealous

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I really don't see Diablo as an MMORPG either.

I don't think it really matters, tbh.  No, I don't think it should be listed on the site along with other true MMORPG's, but whatev.

I mean, I really don't want all the trashed F2P asian-grinder-esque games on the site either.  WTB filter to remove all adds and F2P game information. 

Anyway, to stay on topic... Blizz is going to try as hard as they can to turn Diablo III into another E-Sport game with the 'pvp-arena'.  That still doesn't make it an MMORPG, though.  They don't refer to it as an MMORPG internal to the company either.

Online-enabled RPG with multi-player elements. 

• ArzacaneArzacane Member UncommonPosts: 24

Diablo is an MMO in it's own reguards. Hundreds of people log into the main server. Though it may not be a graphical city or marketplace, it's still a place where people meet up and run off to do what ever. If it were the case that only games such as WoW and EQ and others of that nature that have open worlds hundreds of people can quest in at a time, games such as Dungeons and Dragons Online, LoL and the up coming Wrath Of Heroes would have to get removed as they have little areas where people meet up, but when it comes to questing, they form small parties (not nearly the 100+ as the OP stated) and they get their own quest area, finish it then head back to the 'graphical lobby' or what not. Another famous game would be GW. There's plenty MMOs out there that don't have the huge massive areas where people go play in, but they all have their gathering place, graphical or chatroom styled, where everyone can meet up.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Arzacane

Diablo is an MMO in it's own reguards. Hundreds of people log into the main server. Though it may not be a graphical city or marketplace, it's still a place where people meet up and run off to do what ever. If it were the case that only games such as WoW and EQ and others of that nature that have open worlds hundreds of people can quest in at a time, games such as Dungeons and Dragons Online, LoL and the up coming Wrath Of Heroes would have to get removed as they have little areas where people meet up, but when it comes to questing, they form small parties (not nearly the 100+ as the OP stated) and they get their own quest area, finish it then head back to the 'graphical lobby' or what not. Another famous game would be GW. There's plenty MMOs out there that don't have the huge massive areas where people go play in, but they all have their gathering place, graphical or chatroom styled, where everyone can meet up.

No, that is not even a CORPG.

It is a multiplayer RPG just like Biowares Never winter nights, or possibly a multiplayer action game. Nothing wrong with that (I still think NWN is the best multiplayer RPG I ever played and that includes MMOs) but it have nothing to do on this site.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Omg how many of these "Why is this game on your list it isnt a MMO" threads do we have to go thru til people figure out that it is a free sight and that the ones who pay the bills can write about whatever the hell they want to.Be glad I am not funding the sight because I would start putting up articles about MOVIES and MUSIC just to piss those that cry over this off.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Sorry for not replying last night, this thread just got way to comical and out of hand to continue on that late and I had enough laughs

@WSImike

I understand at its core it isn't an MMORPG by what I normally classify an MMO as, but that alone is getting changed with the way games are developed.

You stated in reply #32

"One of the core and essential elements of a MMORPG is thousands of people sharing the same persistent world at the same time."

So by that definition games with one server but shards, Cryptics games for example, aren't even MMO's.  How does that relate to games that don't have high populations, should we remove the first "M"?  I don't state this to be ignorant or trying to be an ass, I feel its an honest question.

Some games have what we consider Massive gameplay, rifting in RIFT on a pvp server sure comes to mind as a newer release.  But more and more games get away from open world content and focus solely on instanced content.  I frankly don't like this content.

I suppose the basic fundamental would be can thousands could potential interact with each other, but really how many players are going to be in the same spot doing more than standing around?  A few hundred?  I haven't seen massive battles since Shadowbane really.  RIFT probably had a few and I'd wager EVE and Darkfall had the same as Shadowbane and probably on a fairly often basis.  So really only a few games have gameplay that allows players to do more than stand around and shout at each other.  I would even say the term "persistant world" has been removed in games with instances because it is no longer persistant.

With that said what really is the difference between 1000 people standing around waiting for an instance queue and 1000 people in a chat channel in games that focus on instanced content and not open world objectives?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

So basically any shooter that has some kind of minimal toon progression with an online multiplayer option can also be called MMORPG from now on?

And how does the singleplayer experience fit into this?

EDIT : The only reason I can think of why they put it on this website, is because it doesnt fit on any of the affiliated sites either.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by Senerius

OK  wow hmmm gee lets see....

Is Diablo 3 a rpg?  YES!  I don't think anyone disputes this.

Is Diablo 3 massively multiplayer online?    Hmmm Can alot of players play this game at the same time and does it require internet?  The answer is yes. 

lolololololololololol

Rift

This discussion has been closed.