Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PVP gear obtainable through just doing world pvp? Seriously?! Sweet!

2»

Comments

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Baikal

Originally posted by Siveria

Looks like they screwed up already, If raid gear is not the best gear for use in pvp what use is raid gear? it'll have none. It'll be just like WoW and its clones with pointless raiding for gear that has no purpose. I was hoping and praying they wouldn't seregate pve/pvp gear and have it be the same gear you get from raids.. Sigh no mmo does raids right anymore. Just another reason for me to not bother with SWToR, besides the fact its just WoW in space anyway, with the same boring crap as wow, same boring combat, same crappy themepark quest progression. Meh I'll give it a try when it comes out and has a trial but I won't expect much from it at all.

Just curiously, dont you think your logic is a little strange?

Fan: "Hi, I love PvP, and I'm looking forward to the PvP in a game!"

Game Company: "Glad to hear it, but if you want to have the best gear we arent going to allow you to PvP, you are going to have just PvE in order to do what you enjoy."

Fan: "Oh......."

No offense, it doesnt make sense to reward one path and not another, or to force people down one path to enjoy another. Reverse your suggestion, if you want the best raid gear to progress thru more and more challenging raids, then you should be forced to PvP to get the best gear in a game.

We'll see ya at launch!

Cheers

Well thats your opinion; This is not a pure PvP game in reality it is faction vs Faction and the majority of the servers will be PvE focus with faction elements. For a majority PvP is not the focus it will be faction.

The best gear should be available to all players regardless of play type ; And from what I have been told that will probably be the case. As long as you have to play the game to get it , how you get it doesn't really matter.

• GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by Foomerang

I really like this news as well. I just hope it lasts. Bioware has already said they are interested in implementing arenas as post launch content. Not a fan of esport pvp in mmos. I honestly hope it never makes it in.

Arena's will only suck if they become the One True Way to good gear. And seeing as how Bioware allows us to swap out PvP currency, I doubt that's going to be the case.

And truthfully, if we're going to have Huttball, then gladiatorial combat fits in perfectly as well.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

The whole point of raiding should be to acquire better gear in order to perform better in PvP fights for your faction. PvP gear makes PvP only a mini-game within the MMORPG. Also, PvP should have some impact to the world, otherwise you could remove PvP from the game altogether.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by DarkPony

Maybe I'm kinda late with this but I haven't seen it discussed thoroughly yet.

Here's an article with a video of the PAX world pvp presentation: linkage

Some nice, short clips of the objective based world pvp on Illum with territorial control aspects. Sadly the sound quality isn't so great because he's mentioning some interesting stuff towards the end:

Next to objective based world pvp, apparently there are "11 hot spots" on 11 planets on pvp servers.

But what's more:

At least on pvp servers, to get the best pvp gear you need commendations from both warzone and mercenary (open world) accomplishments and you can EXCHANGE them with other players. This means that if you aren't much of a "pvp in a can" fan like me, you can still get your gear by just doing world pvp (or the other way around if you hate world pvp).

I really, really appreciate that :)

One of my biggest gripes with, for instance, WOW's world pvp was that endgame pvp rewards were tied in with battlegrounds / arena's and world pvp, especially in vanilla, was without any extra carrots apart from the fun itself.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are you clearly didnt play vanilla wow.If you did world pvp in vanilla wow  you would get honorable kills which would provide honor points which you could spend  for gear ,just like today.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I'm sorry, I did not follow. I did not see the clip as you said it has bad voice quality. I just read your comments. So please explain one more time.

I can ONLY do Arenas and buy the tokens from world PVP and get the best gears?

I ONLY NEED to do arenas to get the best gear, meaning I don't have to buy or do World PVP?

You see what i'm saying? Explain please.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Zadawn

Some nice, short clips of the objective based world pvp on Illum with territorial control aspects. Sadly the sound quality isn't so great because he's mentioning some interesting stuff towards the end:

Next to objective based world pvp, apparently there are "11 hot spots" on 11 planets on pvp servers.

But what's more:

At least on pvp servers, to get the best pvp gear you need commendations from both warzone and mercenary (open world) accomplishments and you can EXCHANGE them with other players. This means that if you aren't much of a "pvp in a can" fan like me, you can still get your gear by just doing world pvp (or the other way around if you hate world pvp).

One of my biggest gripes with, for instance, WOW's world pvp was that endgame pvp rewards were tied in with battlegrounds / arena's and world pvp, especially in vanilla, was without any extra carrots apart from the fun itself.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are you clearly didnt play vanilla wow.If you did world pvp in vanilla wow  you would get honorable kills which would provide honor points which you could spend  for gear ,just like today.

Nice try. I recall my buddies going for warlord gear and grinding their ass off in battlegrounds 24/7 with account sharing, just to be able to get top rank and be viable to buy the damn stuff. Some almost quit the game in the process, getting in physical and mental problems due to the insane grind.

Getting that amount of kills outside of BG's in the same timeframe that others were raking up kills and wins in bg's simply wasn't possible. Next to that there were all kinds of specific and useful rewards tied in to battlegrounds themselves with no other means of obtaining them.

Please come again?

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Dude leave WoW out for JUST a freakin minute. This is TOR forums. This sounds something good, but I do not understand so I do not know. Someone please explain how to obtain the best gear.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by nomss

I'm sorry, I did not follow. I did not see the clip as you said it has bad voice quality. I just read your comments. So please explain one more time.

I ONLY NEED to do arenas to get the best gear, meaning I don't have to buy or do World PVP?

Arena's aren't in yet as far as I know.

You can exchange warzone commendations for world pvp commendations -> If people prefer warzones they can happily do just them, if people prefer world pvp, they can happily do just that. Both have a means to circumvent doing the kind of pvp they dislike and still get the best gear by exchanging commendations.

Also there will be other boons to doing well in world pvp and warzones: titles and renown and stuff like that, as far as I've heard. No idea how other advantages are distributed between them.

Even in the grim scenario that doing instanced pvp would be twice as effective as world pvp, I'd still do world pvp mainly and be happy about it. As long as the game doesn't lock me out of those rewards.

But if more people prefer warzones, you can bet your ass that world pvp commendations will be much more valuable. (If there won't be a fixed exchange rate, that is).

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by nomss

It means that there are two sets of currency you get

One set is from instant BG types

The other is from open world PvP type things

Each curriency gives you access to that type of equipment

Meaning theres instant BG type equipment and open world PvP type of equipment, you can't use BG currency to buy open world PvP equipment, or vice versa

The change here is...that if you rack up enough open world PvP currency you can then turn them into BG type currency, which means if you do enough open world PvP you can still aquire the BG equipment if you want without ever having to touch the BG themselves.

Granted one has to remember that the exchange rate between these two does not equal 1 to 1

So you may have to for example turn in 30 Open world PvP currency to get say 5 BG currency and the same works the other way around 30 BG currency could be turned in for 5 open world PvP currency. Which means if you want the other set of gear, and you don't want to do the type (BG or open) it will just take longer instead of being forced to do it.

It's your basic exchange rate that allows you to stick to the type of PvP you enjoy without being forced to do the other, just remember that the exchange rate is likely to be poor that it will take more of whatever currency it is to get a set from the other PvP type your not currently doing

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

Originally posted by Zadawn

But what's more:

Your thoughts?

Nice try. I recall my buddies going for warlord gear and grinding their ass off in battlegrounds 24/7 with account sharing, just to be able to get top rank and be viable to buy the damn stuff. Some almost quit the game in the process, getting in physical and mental problems due to the insane grind.

Getting that amount of kills outside of BG's in the same timeframe that others were raking up kills and wins in bg's simply wasn't possible. Next to that there were all kinds of specific and useful rewards tied in to battlegrounds themselves with no other means of obtaining them.

Please come again?

It was possible,harder but possible.bye.