Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PVP gear obtainable through just doing world pvp? Seriously?! Sweet!

Maybe I'm kinda late with this but I haven't seen it discussed thoroughly yet.

Here's an article with a video of the PAX world pvp presentation: linkage

Some nice, short clips of the objective based world pvp on Illum with territorial control aspects. Sadly the sound quality isn't so great because he's mentioning some interesting stuff towards the end:

Next to objective based world pvp, apparently there are "11 hot spots" on 11 planets on pvp servers.

But what's more:

At least on pvp servers, to get the best pvp gear you need commendations from both warzone and mercenary (open world) accomplishments and you can EXCHANGE them with other players. This means that if you aren't much of a "pvp in a can" fan like me, you can still get your gear by just doing world pvp (or the other way around if you hate world pvp).

I really, really appreciate that :)

One of my biggest gripes with, for instance, WOW's world pvp was that endgame pvp rewards were tied in with battlegrounds / arena's and world pvp, especially in vanilla, was without any extra carrots apart from the fun itself.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I really like this news as well. I just hope it lasts. Bioware has already said they are interested in implementing arenas as post launch content. Not a fan of esport pvp in mmos. I honestly hope it never makes it in.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

nice i'll have me a set by max level, I leveled from 30-50 in Rift on world PvP non stop and some mini games thrown in. But PvP levels don't start until 50 therefore gear no acquireable... until you re-do all pvp at 50. I hope SWTOR goes the AoC route in that aspect.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Foomerang

I really like this news as well. I just hope it lasts. Bioware has already said they are interested in implementing arenas as post launch content. Not a fan of esport pvp in mmos. I honestly hope it never makes it in.

I'm with you. They should really focus on developing more of the open world, objective based pvp content and territorial control instead, as it's much more mmorpg-like in incorporating player freedom, the open world and opportunity for tactics and organization.

Don't want another friggin' e-sport in a can which draws a big chunk of a pvp community into repetitive instances. V_V

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Nice didnt see those yet . Also hope their will be no arena i rather have bit more open pvp , also arena class balance is very tricky and takes alot of time and resources from devs see wow for example even they did say themself that they shouldnt have done arena if they can choose again .

In the end its a ungoing nerf of classes for pve to and it will never be 100 procent balanced so i rather have they put more effort in creating big scale pvp even if it isnt perfectly balanced .

( dont watch the spelling english isnt great and pretty tired )

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Before I was not upset about crafters needing to do Operations to get the best Mats for crafting, but after seeing this I have to agree there is a definate disparity going on.  Not really a huge one, but big enough.  If the best PvP gear can be earned through normally PvPing, then they need to do the same for crafting.  I still have no problem with the best PvE gear coming from Operations though.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

Originally posted by krea

Nice didnt see those yet . Also hope their will be no arena i rather have bit more open pvp , also arena class balance is very tricky and takes alot of time and resources from devs see wow for example even they did say themself that they shouldnt have done arena if they can choose again .

In the end its a ungoing nerf of classes for pve to and it will never be 100 procent balanced so i rather have they put more effort in creating big scale pvp even if it isnt perfectly balanced .

( dont watch the spelling english isnt great and pretty tired )

Yeah, fully agree. Arena's are a can of worms. I hope they really take notice of what those WOW devs said.

They also did well in avoiding WOW's cross server dungeon finder as it impacts server community building. Hope they do the same with arena's: scrap 'em.

Originally posted by GMan3

Before I was not upset about crafters needing to do Operations to get the best Mats for crafting, but after seeing this I have to agree there is a definate disparity going on.  Not really a huge one, but big enough.  If the best PvP gear can be earned through normally PvPing, then they need to do the same for crafting.  I still have no problem with the best PvE gear coming from Operations though.

Yep. Really hope they will give that some second thought. For now I'm just hoping that maybe crafting isn't so much tied in with raiding as we expect.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    So what purpose will crafting have at endgame?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by ktanner3
    So what purpose will crafting have at endgame?

From what I've seen from the last few info releases it'll be the intermediate gear to prepare for raiding. However, with the modification system, I would imagine it would be very likely that even PvP gear would be able to be modified.

One reason I'm more interesting in crafting professions that made mods and enhancements than professions that just make weapons/armor.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Faction vs Faction meaningful, interactive and persistent open-world territorial contronl game-play is the only thing that is going to keep me interested beyond the estimated 3-month journey to level-cap. 

If Bioware doesn't take it seriously, they're subscribership will make like a lawn-dart just as every other themepark mmo has in the past several years, imho. Though its' (SW:TOR) coop-heavy game-play element might keep that departure itch at bay a bit longer. 

None-the-less, the same Territorial Faction vs Faction control, I hope, is equally accessable and available to both PvE and PvP servers, the difference being that on PvP servers players can roam across non-territorial controlled game-play planets of the opposing faction.  Now that's just a guess.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What I find most promising is the part where he explains the iterative approach their taking to guerilla tatics being viable in open pvp, nice way to combat population issues.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

The problem with ESport Arena crap is that the developers end up having to balance the classes for just that one aspect of the game or else it will never be taken seriously as an ESport.

That pvp balance ends up effecting the pve balance and that sucks... it is also really hard to do well.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Faction vs Faction meaningful, interactive and persistent open-world territorial contronl game-play is the only thing that is going to keep me interested beyond the estimated 3-month journey to level-cap. 

If Bioware doesn't take it seriously, they're subscribership will make like a lawn-dart just as every other themepark mmo has in the past several years, imho. Though its' (SW:TOR) coop-heavy game-play element might keep that departure itch at bay a bit longer. 

None-the-less, the same Territorial Faction vs Faction control, I hope, is equally accessable and available to both PvE and PvP servers, the difference being that on PvP servers players can roam across non-territorial controlled game-play planets of the opposing faction.  Now that's just a guess.

That's correct, as far as I know. Though capital planets and starter planets won't be accesible to the opposing faction.

Edit: They did mention 11 world pvp hotspots on 11 planets, with the mercenary commendation objectives tied into them, not sure if that is world pvp content for pvp servers only though. But at least this is in addition to the Illum-like contested planet shizzle which is available on all server types.

Would be a first off, I guess, for an AAA mmorpg have extra, dedicated world pvp content for pvp servers.

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

Something tells me that open world PvP will be a ghost town and players will be in queue for Hutball and the like.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by DarkPony

I'm with you. They should really focus on developing more of the open world, objective based pvp content and territorial control instead, as it's much more mmorpg-like in incorporating player freedom, the open world and opportunity for tactics and organization.

Don't want another friggin' e-sport in a can which draws a big chunk of a pvp community into repetitive instances. V_V

{Yes Please}

I love persistant PvP, that changes area control, maybe give access to special areas, resources or just a boost in stats or experience. This is what makes PvP fun!

Please Bioware don;t screw this up.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Looks like they screwed up already, If raid gear is not the best gear for use in pvp what use is raid gear? it'll have none. It'll be just like WoW and its clones with pointless raiding for gear that has no purpose. I was hoping and praying they wouldn't seregate pve/pvp gear and have it be the same gear you get from raids.. Sigh no mmo does raids right anymore. Just another reason for me to not bother with SWToR, besides the fact its just WoW in space anyway, with the same boring crap as wow, same boring combat, same crappy themepark quest progression. Meh I'll give it a try when it comes out and has a trial but I won't expect much from it at all.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

Originally posted by ghettobooste

The problem with ESport Arena crap is that the developers end up having to balance the classes for just that one aspect of the game or else it will never be taken seriously as an ESport.

That pvp balance ends up effecting the pve balance and that sucks... it is also really hard to do well.

If only more developers followed the same route as early SWG - skills do different damage and have different effects on players than they do mobs. It was a simple way to balance PvP without messing with PvE, and vice versa.

Originally posted by Siveria

Looks like they screwed up already, If raid gear is not the best gear for use in pvp what use is raid gear?

Uhm ... the best gear for raiding?

10% better than the best pvp gear will be for raiding in fact. What did you expect? Raiders pwning pvp'ers when they bother to crawl out of their instances to do some pew pew? That would be the best way to copy vanilla WOW's raiding elite dominated communities, which were awful. Good thing they are treating them as seperate gameplay styles with seperate endgame gear rewards.

it'll have none. It'll be just like WoW and its clones with pointless raiding for gear that has no purpose.

Except for being the best gear for ... *drumroll* ... raiding.

I was hoping and praying they wouldn't seregate pve/pvp gear and have it be the same gear you get from raids.. Sigh no mmo does raids right anymore. Just another reason for me to not bother with SWToR, besides the fact its just WoW in space anyway, with the same boring crap as wow, same boring combat, same crappy themepark quest progression. Meh I'll give it a try when it comes out and has a trial but I won't expect much from it at all.

Yeah, right. See you at launch ^_^

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Hmmm...I had given up on the care bearness...but this looks promising.  Hopefully they keep telling us about open world pvp.  Genious idea as to seperate rewards for open worl pvp as to bg pvp.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

World PVP is the only thing that will keep me around past level cap playing this game. I've farmed BG's/Warfronts etc enough in other games to not want to bother doing it again in this one. I've never been a raider, and I never will be.

So World PVP it is, and from what little they've shown, it looks promising, I hope just they make something that's unique, Star Warsy, and fun to play.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by taus01

Originally posted by DarkPony

{Yes Please}

I love persistant PvP, that changes area control, maybe give access to special areas, resources or just a boost in stats or experience. This is what makes PvP fun!

Please Bioware don;t screw this up.

I would actually like to see a "Non-Standard PvP Arena" set up inside one of the PvP zones.  In my view this would be a small area that is PvP free surrounding an area that only a certain number of people can enter for a match.  The PvP free area would be a viewing stands type of area.  Basically a Colesium where we get to watch gladitorial matches.

I do agree though that individual balancing should be frowned upon in favor of team balancing.  I simply fail to see how you could effectively balance a Healing spec'd Consular with a DPS spec'd Guardian and it shouldn't even be tried as far as I am concerned.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Siveria
    Looks like they screwed up already, If raid gear is not the best gear for use in pvp what use is raid gear? it'll have none. It'll be just like WoW and its clones with pointless raiding for gear that has no purpose. I was hoping and praying they wouldn't seregate pve/pvp gear and have it be the same gear you get from raids.. Sigh no mmo does raids right anymore. Just another reason for me to not bother with SWToR, besides the fact its just WoW in space anyway, with the same boring crap as wow, same boring combat, same crappy themepark quest progression. Meh I'll give it a try when it comes out and has a trial but I won't expect much from it at all.

Just curiously, dont you think your logic is a little strange?

Fan: "Hi, I love PvP, and I'm looking forward to the PvP in a game!"

Game Company: "Glad to hear it, but if you want to have the best gear we arent going to allow you to PvP, you are going to have just PvE in order to do what you enjoy."

Fan: "Oh......."

No offense, it doesnt make sense to reward one path and not another, or to force people down one path to enjoy another. Reverse your suggestion, if you want the best raid gear to progress thru more and more challenging raids, then you should be forced to PvP to get the best gear in a game.

We'll see ya at launch!

Cheers

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

sigh .. why does PVP and PVE gear have to be seperate, I just remember back in DAOC there was no such thing as "PVP" gear it was just GEAR and you could take it in PVE or PVP and be fine.

I am tired of games penalizing those of us who enjoy BOTH PVe and PVP by making us basically grind twice for two sets of gear.

• CyanKCyanK Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Ecoces

sigh .. why does PVP and PVE gear have to be seperate, I just remember back in DAOC there was no such thing as "PVP" gear it was just GEAR and you could take it in PVE or PVP and be fine.

I am tired of games penalizing those of us who enjoy BOTH PVe and PVP by making us basically grind twice for two sets of gear.

Heh, thats not a penalty, thats an intentional mechanic to keep us subbing longer.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Originally posted by Abdar

World PVP is the only thing that will keep me around past level cap playing this game. I've farmed BG's/Warfronts etc enough in other games to not want to bother doing it again in this one. I've never been a raider, and I never will be.

So World PVP it is, and from what little they've shown, it looks promising, I hope just they make something that's unique, Star Warsy, and fun to play.

Agreed, but most of us harder core pvpers want to aslo grind of if its a quest, shorten it up.  I don't care about the read and pick a story.  People saying that this is the greatest invention and it recreates gaming in the future are nutso.  Sure, some will like others will puke...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"