Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Guild Wars 2 was available tomorrow is your PC ready?

Comments

• FullMetalAlcFullMetalAlc Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Worst advice ever.... Its a mere gamble...

WE don't know anything yet about the how the graphics of GW2 will scale...

We don't know anyhting yet about how GW2 will handle Memmory use

We don't know if GW2 is programmed to effectively use more then 2 cores

We don't know how an SSD drive will impact loading times...

These guys are only telling you how to build a great PC with good bang for your Bugs.... but there is no relationship however to GW2's performance.

And never build your own PC when you don't know exactly what you're doing and you're not able to troubleshoot your hardware when there is anything wrong. In that case you are much better off buying a DELL, because even those have much much more warranty....

First you seem to forget or omit the part that the article is a what if guild wars was out today and not a you should go out and buy this stuff today article, this is what is available in the current marketplace and determined to be the best performance/cost ratio. So if it can't handle a game out today, then I don't know what will. Since GW2 is being demo'd at conventions it must be using obtainable hardware today.

We do know that a 32 bit OS can't effectively use more than 4 GB of memory now or in the future, and that a Windows 7 64 Bit OS requires 8 gigabytes for best performance.

We do know that an SSD will increase your performance over a hard disk drive since it's a RAM DRIVE, furthermore SSD caching technologies will improve overall system performance, logically it will improve any game since the disk access time is reduced when reading from the hard drive. You don't have to do any of this BTW.

The # of cores are not the only thing that effects a CPU's performance, there are plenty of older CPUs with 6 cores that don't hold a candle to the newer offerings. Wether or not GW2 supports multi-core which I'm sure they will how can you not in this day and age, you OS will and that can only improve your game performance running on said OS.

Lastly you shouldn't project your inability to upgrade/build your own PC onto others.  Sure you could get DELL to custom build you a computer or go with an Alienware, etc. but you'll still have to pick what parts you want in them like the CPU, Video Card, etc. and that's where this article can help even a novice.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by just1opinion

Pentium Core2Duo 2.66Ghz per

nVidia 8800GT

4G RAM

a better gfx card ... would help a lot.

Spend 150$ and buy a new video card and you'll be fine.

That 8800gt is like.. two or 3 generations old now.

460 GTX for 150$ or a 550 ti for simliar, maybe 180$.

Radeon 6850 or find a good sale like I did for 6870 - 150$

I always check Tigerdirect.com and newegg.com first.

If I can get away with doing this, this is what I will do.  I do run a 32 bit OS (NOT Win7), so....no worries there on RAM.  I've never had a problem playing anything, and I don't think they're going to make GW2 need upgrades on hardware that are out of financial reach if they can help it.  After all....they want people buying the game and playing it.

If I can avoid buying a new motherboard, CPU and power supply.....I'm certainly going to.  I'm going to squeeze every last gasp of life from this machine, because when I bought it....I paid dearly for it.  (Nightmare computer boutique story....trust me....you don't wanna know.)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328

Nope but in two days I will since I'm buying a new computer for the game

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

i5 2500k o/c to 4.3

8 gigs ram

only hinderance i have is i have 2 HIS 6850's crossfired, which i recently learned doesnt work with windowed mode, meaning if i want music or web surfing without alt+tabbing i'll sacrifice performance.

overall i think i'm gewd.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

These guys are only telling you how to build a great PC with good bang for your Bugs.... but there is no relationship however to GW2's performance.

And never build your own PC when you don't know exactly what you're doing and you're not able to troubleshoot your hardware when there is anything wrong. In that case you are much better off buying a DELL, because even those have much much more warranty....

If you're going to buy a Dell or any pre-made for that matter, pick a company that allows you to actually configure your own and they build it for you.  This way you make sure you not only get the types of compnents you want, but the name brands as well.  Things like a 10k rpm drive instead of 7200rpm, 8gb of the fastest memory, not the slower versions they usually put in basic pre-mades, discrete video and sound cards and not the trash that is integrated on the motherboard, flat screen montors that have at least 5ms response times or faster....etc.  Even if you're a complete computer noob, just visit sites like tomshardware.com for advice on basic computer setups just so you'll know what compenents to get, which are more important for performance and so forth, then use it on the Dell configurator site and you won't get a piece of crap.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Did you really just put DELL and warranty in the same sentence? You mean like the amazing way DELL sells crappy computers.

Sorry but EVGA for example as well as XFX(at least use to) offer lifetime warranties and sometimes double lifetime even if you sold it to another party.

Processors (Boxed) warranty is 3 years, and don't buy the if you overclock it you void garbage, cause unless that is the root of it, they replace it.

As for its useless to know what system requirements are, I imagine getting a solid machine now will play games now and in the future, and knowing you have a 3-4 year old machine probably won't run it well, its a valid question.  Either way building a solid system will cover your basis, the only part that would be different is a SSD. 

• wardoxywardoxy Member UncommonPosts: 81

Hmm not speaking any brands would anyone tell me if this would work for gw2 say.. med-high settings ?

CPU 3.33Ghz @ 3.75Ghz

Graphic Card 1GB DDR5 256-bit 840mhz core speed

8GB DDR3 1333MHZ (Dual Channel 4 x 2GB)

500GB SATA3 6GB/S

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

The developers said on 1 interview regarding this... If your PC can run GW1 it's good enough for GW2...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147

Yes my pc would and it's very old. 

I believe that the GW2 engine is a heavily modified GW engine. So it should be functional at at least the lowest setting. I'll have to look it up.

edit: from the wiki

Guild Wars 2 uses a heavily modified Guild Wars game engine which includes support for true 3D environments, more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines and a more flexible combat and skill-casting system.[3] It uses Havok to provide destructible environment and ragdollanimation of creatures[4] and Umbra's occlusion culling technology.[5]

Required system specifications have not been released. The aim is for Guild Wars to run great on 'mainstream' or 'mid-range gaming' PCs.

There will not be "click-to-move" control system, [6] but target-locking will be available.

Sic Luceat Lux

• RameiArashiRameiArashi Member UncommonPosts: 294

Since Arenanet has not released the system requirements I can't answer that question. Nobody can, its all guess work.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

oh, my PC is more than ready. There's not a game that it doesn't run like buttah!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AthillianAthillian Member Posts: 104

Its been ready forever now lol.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by Fir3line

Originally posted by just1opinion

Pentium Core2Duo 2.66Ghz per

nVidia 8800GT

4G RAM

I know it's old and lame, but will I be able to play, does anyone know?  And if not....is getting a several levels newer gfx card enough to help me out?   That is assuming I can upgrade gfx cards that much with the mobo I have and the power supply.

The system specs I read put this card in the middle, like above minimum reqs, but below recommended.  So....it SHOULD be okay, but I wonder how bad it will make the game look?  :(

4Gb of RAM and a better gfx card (like 280 GTX or above) would help a lot.

There is probably some good quad core that should be cheap to get if your motherboard can support it.

I would wait for the game to be closer to release to get everything tho

I don't disagree that there are things he could upgrade.

But there is no way GW2 is using every bit of 4GB of ram, much less a full 8.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I would bank on, that if your PC can play Rift on high settings, you won't have any trouble running GW2 in most instances.  Note I said most though, because some of those massive boss fights I've seen or in the event of massive WvWvW battles where everyone could show up.  I wouldn't doubt some of the best PCs to struggle a little when playing on max!

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I can run any current MMO on the market on high settings, so ya I guess it is.

Joined - July 2004

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Wow, speaking of horrible advice ---> YOURS.

www.maximumpc.com Best computer advice you could ever get. You can get help deciding on components, help with the build via guides, troubleshooting, etc.

It is not difficult to build a computer. I reccomend NOT buying a dell.

I built my first pc with no experience and every pc since then. I didn't have to get a computer degree to do so. It is not difficult. And the process is an absolute blast. Picking out parts, having the build critiqued, choosing different parts, making the order and tracking the order is great! A ton of anticipation.

And its well worth it.Getting all the boxes finally delivered!!  And the pride of knowing you not only hand picked every part but built it yourself--great.

Warranty...lol

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by caremuchless

Wow, speaking of horrible advice ---> YOURS.

It is not difficult to build a computer. I reccomend NOT buying a dell.

I built my first pc with no experience and every pc since then. I didn't have to get a computer degree to do so. It is not difficult. And the process is an absolute blast. Picking out parts, having the build critiqued, choosing different parts, making the order and tracking the order is great! A ton of anticipation.

And its well worth it.Getting all the boxes finally delivered!!  And the pride of knowing you not only hand picked every part but built it yourself--great.

Ok yeah, I'm gonna have to chime in on this one too.  Building your own PC is incredibly fun and an exhilerating process, nor is it as difficult as it appears.  Damn near everything is color coded or the plugs only fits in one specific location.   Even if you're color blind, if you can't match various sized round/rectangular plugs into their equally exact sized sockets, then yeah I would suggest asking a friend or professional for help.

There is of course a little bit of know-how and self discovery into what does what, but for fracks sakes its 2011 and you can find a billion answers to every question in a matter of seconds now.

Buying a pre-built PC is like flushing wads of cash down the toilet for no reason...

• Grigor_BronGrigor_Bron Member Posts: 129

The question is whether Guild Wars 2 is ready for my PC.

(booya...!)

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

PC gamers love their overkill, no game needs 8gb of ram.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Ah nope. I need to upgrade to a Intel Core 2 Quad and Windys 7 64 bit before GW (and Skyrim hits).

Just ordered another 4G of ram will bring me up to 8. Little bit at a time.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Yes.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Yep! Got 16gb because the outlet selling me my parts gave me a free upgrade from 8 to 16.

My games would probably run the same with 4gb.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• FullMetalAlcFullMetalAlc Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Windows XP is a 32 bit OS, the maximum addressable memory is 4 gb(3gb usable), but since memory comes in 1,2,4 gig chips you put in 2, 2 gigs for 4 gig of memory. The recommended amount of memory for WinXP to perform at it's best is 2 gigabytes.

Windows 7 can be 32 bit or 64 bit, for 32 bit the rules above apply, for 64-bit it can address from 8-192 gigs depending on your flavor of Windows 7. The recommended amount for best performance on Windows 7 is 8 gigabytes.

The games themselves may not use all that memory but it has to share with your operating system, so if theres not enough and you have to hit a pagefile more often that in some ways does degrade performance.

Memory is really cheap these days like $50,  so why the fuss to begin with?

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

You really don't need the Z68 chipset over the P67 B3 Version. Unless you're really paying that extra for a SSD.  Two good brand HDD's with large cache will do, one for OS and other for gaming, it's a waste of time to raid, unless you can raid 0 two disks that the OS is not going to be installed on and set it for large file chunks and not small which gaming needs.

Even then you really are not getting much benefit from raided HDD's in gaming over normal setup, so save the money. Save the extra money you save into a good motherboard with SATA 6g to future for for SSD in a couple years time when prices are better. MSI P67 chipset offerings very good value for money. 

You really don't need a SSD if getting one putting your budget over the edge. I wouldn't get a mobo with built in SSD, there only so many read write access times per cell and more likely to fail if the mobo used beyond the 5 years and in to the 6, 7  year mark if somebody holding out for an upgrade. which is always possible as the Intel i5 2005k is one hell of a chip, console gaming will making sure this i5 can own games in 5 years time.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

If i wasn't gaming i would probably still use a pencil, yes a pencil horror, the stuff even hurt your finger if you overuse it....