Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Faction Pride

Comments

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532

I can't decide if I'm going to be brutally honest about it.

I am very drawn to the Templars though. I feel I could follow the path of a soldier, not of God, but against the darkness. A soldier joining an army for his own means, rather than that of the army. Ultimately good but with a score to settle against the darkness.

It all sounds appealing to me.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!
  • rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

cuz you can do or get done.

I'm an Illuminati,

and I'm not done.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Midgard forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But with that said I also am hoping this recaptures some of what was so great about DaoC and that the 3-faction warfare causes real "faction pride" and rivalry.

I came out as Dragon and even retested...   I would want to be a Templar...  I have a friend who is insistent on Illuminati...

But I signed up as Dragon and that is what I will be unless they are the "zerg" team, if that is the case I'll move to one of the other factoins to balance it out more.  The only faction I really dislike are the Illuminati but I could even play as one if need be.

• N0umenonN0umenon Member Posts: 10

Here is a fourteen minut long clip of TSW shown @ PAX 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mRwkJyL1Lc&feature=related The last six contains PvP only.

See you all on the battleground! (if I buy it). Enjoy!

• GarimiGarimi Member Posts: 3

Dragon are the way for me...I tried to tilt the test for templar...3x... but balance came and I found my way.

But serving Gaia while serving ourselves and using subtle means as well as brutal.... yes, it is good.

And my Ouija board shall funtion despite losses of power that is given by man therefor taken by him . But you illuminati shall be out of service area when I decide to remove you from the equation while your Templar ally is still awaiting orders from teh handset and didn't notice you leave... *wicked cackle*    ..........seriously I hope they don't soften it at last minute. There is more than enough PvE fun for an RPer like me as is. But I have been away from PvP for lameness avoidance for years while accompanying friends in different MMOs

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Anyone know why the dragon are so popular? i joined them as i like the balance thing, expecting them to be the smallest faction, but they are twice the size as the others, judging from the FB meta-data ive seen.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by zevni78

Anyone know why the dragon are so popular? i joined them as i like the balance thing, expecting them to be the smallest faction, but they are twice the size as the others, judging from the FB meta-data ive seen.

I'm drawn to them because they're basically like every mystic asian society ever portrayed in 1980s action flicks.

Plus the Templars and Illuminati in a lot of lore / video games / comic books are the "bad guys". I think that bit of knowledge from previous forms of fiction plays a role.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• madjackredmadjackred Member Posts: 36

I do alt-fu, so the no alt's of the other faction idea annoys me.  I can see the need for some restrictions to swtiching factions to enter a battle in progress or something like that to keep the PvP balanced and reduce alt-exploits... but it seems to me to be a hamhanded tool to get people to feel Faction Pride for Team Dragon or Team Templar or whatever. 

If a dev wants me to feel emotionally invested in my Main's faction, he's going to have to do that through quality storylines, motivating and captivating content, not through hamfisting around with alt-limits. 

I've got too many characters in my head, with their own personalities and concepts, to be content playing Faction Loyalty.  And I like the freedom of keeping all my toons on one server.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by madjackred

I do alt-fu, so the no alt's of the other faction idea annoys me.  I can see the need for some restrictions to swtiching factions to enter a battle in progress or something like that to keep the PvP balanced and reduce alt-exploits... but it seems to me to be a hamhanded tool to get people to feel Faction Pride for Team Dragon or Team Templar or whatever. 

If a dev wants me to feel emotionally invested in my Main's faction, he's going to have to do that through quality storylines, motivating and captivating content, not through hamfisting around with alt-limits. 

I've got too many characters in my head, with their own personalities and concepts, to be content playing Faction Loyalty.  And I like the freedom of keeping all my toons on one server.

Well even if you like the idea; what's the opposition against having different factions to play on different servers?

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• GarimiGarimi Member Posts: 3

Dragon being balance is the big reason. Most people are not extremes but middle of the road adn flexible.

The Templars faction is NOT the KnightsTemplar who were samaritans that helped pilgrims. More like the Crusaders of the first 3 crusades and their inheritors after the 4th= the Inquisitors.

How many midwifes do you burn to find a witch? All...because they are all witches. LOL

You have Lumies..Power brokers, Big Gov and Big Biz hedonists and manipulators. ...um yay? I personally just don't think masks and latex is my gig ^_^

The test agreed -it kept me washing clean to Dragon. We use and create chaos as a tool..not be chaotic.. lol. insert propaganda here: Chaos is OURS to Orchestrate.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Templar - they have the right colours, the right location, the right weapons, the right fashion style, the right working ethics...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I'm an altaholic too, but as TSW as no classes, and it would make my character feel gimped to  restrict certain skills to save for alts, so i intend to only make one guy. However it appears that there will be certain content we only get with certain factions.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Templars!

We're what has kept the world safe for millennia. We're not just fighting the war against darkness, we are  the war against darkness.

Lol image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Whatever, all i wanna do is raid Alistair Crowley twice a day for his magic wand. ;p

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• DoctorFunDoctorFun Member UncommonPosts: 8

Funcom already did something like this once. Those who played Anarchy Online will remember many great things about that game, like the character development system (complex but incredibly satisfying), the awesome twinking system but, above all, the way several aspects of the game were integrated with each other, like the faction system that had the feeling you describe for DAoC: whenever one of our faction's bases was under attack, you would drop EVERYTHING and come to help. 

So I'm sure they can do it again.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by DoctorFun

Funcom already did something like this once. Those who played Anarchy Online will remember many great things about that game, like the character development system (complex but incredibly satisfying), the awesome twinking system but, above all, the way several aspects of the game were integrated with each other, like the faction system that had the feeling you describe for DAoC: whenever one of our faction's bases was under attack, you would drop EVERYTHING and come to help. 

So I'm sure they can do it again.

Aye,

Nothing better than the constant back and fourth between Omni and those stinking Clanners!

Though I did kinda feel bad for the Neuts - always caught in the middle :P

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• RommulRommul Member Posts: 1
    I've played DAOC since the start and am also excited about some new games coming with three factions. I agree that this is key to creating the sense of realm pride in a game as well as a built in means of facilitating a server power balance.

As I understand it though, there is one facet of Secret World that may be a fatal flaw toward these goals. Consolidated PVE zones where you can communicate with and even group with your ostensible enemies.

Can't imagine how that could have existed in DAoC and still had the same realm pride outcome. I think this will be counter productive.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Originally posted by Rommul

I've played DAOC since the start and am also excited about some new games coming with three factions. I agree that this is key to creating the sense of realm pride in a game as well as a built in means of facilitating a server power balance.

As I understand it though, there is one facet of Secret World that may be a fatal flaw toward these goals. Consolidated PVE zones where you can communicate with and even group with your ostensible enemies.

Can't imagine how that could have existed in DAoC and still had the same realm pride outcome. I think this will be counter productive.

It worked in AO pretty well. We could group up with Clan or Neuts as well as talk/tell with them. It did make PvP more fun as well. Even after killing your enemy several times and countless taunts in chat, you would still get whispers from them with "Good game sir" or "Well played!"

I think it will have a better impact than you think, but only time will tell.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

In Daoc we could not understand our enemy but we could do some emotes and that is communiaction too...you dont need chat.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Don't believe the hype. The Templar and the Dragon are simply grandiose names for what we know to be terrorist organizations. And the Illuminati? Simply fairy tales created by conspiracy theorists...

<3

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by eric_w66

Per Server faction lock is only a negative. It won't help "realm pride" at all. If you have to have a server faction lock to have realm pride as your character, you shouldn't be playing an RPG and pretending to have realm pride.

Huh?

Basically you are saying it was a failure in DAoC?  Not my experience.

It was to me. DAOC was a failure on many levels. Especially the start. One realm dominated most servers. Those who played the other two seem to be doing the "rose tinted glasses" look back. Mythic tried many things to balance the servers, which of course, didn't work (offering preleveled chars if you'd switch, etc).

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Don't believe the hype. The Templar and the Dragon are simply grandiose names for what we know to be terrorist organizations. And the Illuminati? Simply fairy tales created by conspiracy theorists...

Spoken like a true Illuminati.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• madjackredmadjackred Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Originally posted by madjackred

Well even if you like the idea; what's the opposition against having different factions to play on different servers?

Mainly because some days I'll want to play my templar while my wife's playing her dragon, that sort of things.  We don't PvP, neither do most of our friends.  So when we are on together we'll likely be looking for the parts of the show that are cooperative.  I don't want to have to play my Templar just because a couple of our friends have a jones to play theirs.

As an afterthought... when devs take shortcuts, say making limits on alts/factions, then they're they're tempted to continue taking shortcuts rather than producing quality work that give me a reason to feel compelled to fight for this or that faction, to care about story, or event  rather than play it because "eh, I don't feel like logging out and back in again, and I like teaming with my wife's Dragon."  I've always seen attempting to use game mechanics (rather than intriguing and vibrant content) as a hammerlock rather than an encouragement  to make people get into PuGs, raiding, pvp, or faction loyalty is a cheap substitute for quality content.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I like the Templars most, the uniform for the girls looks fantastic (I mean really who wants to look like a gasmasky?) and the faction is all about order, not chaos like the other two factions. I took the old and new test and I came out as a Templar both times which clearly shows that I belong to only them.

As for the test, I believe the greatest power comes from the occult as there's more to the paranormal than science can ever tell us.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by SBFord

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by armoredisamu

In The Secret World, I am a Templar. There is no purpose greater than ours. The world will founder without structure and discipline.

And if we have to burn down the village to get the message across, well, they should have listened the first time we told the score.

Preach it, brother! :)

Stinkin' zealots.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club