Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows 8- what will it do for PC gaming?

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

Windows 8- what will it do for PC gaming? Will it improve performance  because of the possibility of new chipsets that are not intelx86 based? is it just flugg? What do you think or know?

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Latest rumor I heard was that Windows 8 PC games and Xbox 360 games (as well as successor) will be interchangable.

As in, you can put your Xbox games into DVD drive of your Windows 8 PC and just play... assuming your PC has the hardware specs etc. which these days is quite easy and cheapish.

And then on new Xbox console system you'll be able to put in your windows 8 PC games and just play visa versa.

So pretty much, you only need one or the other and then it's just a matter of control system (controller or keyboard/mouse) and screen (monitor or TV)

Which, if true, will be completely f'ing HUGE

No more PC or Xbox games but simply.. Microsoft and you choose your hardware. Either an uncustomizable "in a box" solution with the new console or an upgradable and customizable solution via PC.

Which means you'll see full controller support via USB/Bluetooth for controllers on PC and full keyboard/mouse support via USB/bluetooth for consoles.

Considering where desktop computing is going, where the world "thinks" desktop computing is going, it makes sense to abandon the idea of "desktop" and "console" and just simply have "multimedia device."

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Nohing. It's a tablet enhanced version of windows 7 and not much more.

Unless I'm right with the rumor above in which case it changes everything.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by BadSpock

Latest rumor I heard was that Windows 8 PC games and Xbox 360 games (as well as successor) will be interchangable.

As in, you can put your Xbox games into DVD drive of your Windows 8 PC and just play... assuming your PC has the hardware specs etc. which these days is quite easy and cheapish.

And then on new Xbox console system you'll be able to put in your windows 8 PC games and just play visa versa.

So pretty much, you only need one or the other and then it's just a matter of control system (controller or keyboard/mouse) and screen (monitor or TV)

No more PC or Xbox games but simply.. Microsoft and you choose your hardware. Either an uncustomizable "in a box" solution with the new console or an upgradable and customizable solution via PC.

Which means you'll see full controller support via USB/Bluetooth for controllers on PC and full keyboard/mouse support via USB/bluetooth for consoles.

Considering where desktop computing is going, where the world "thinks" desktop computing is going, it makes sense to abandon the idea of "desktop" and "console" and just simply have "multimedia device."

I really hope this is true. There are a number of 360 games I'd like to play.

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

Doubt it will happen like this.

XBOX live will be included. XBOX games compatability won't be.

Not what I heard, that's not the rumor.

Originally posted by proponent

Why not?

It's brilliant.

How much money do they make off the consoles? Not much. Hell, for a long while there (and probably still) Sony was LOSING money on every console sold.

They make money off the games and the periphials.

So why not make Windows 8 play Xbox 360 games? They'd make MORE money on selling the OS and on selling the games then they'd ever make getting people to buy more 360's.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Exactly how do I signal 'Looking for a Group' with these motion sensitive controllers?

If Win8 is XBox compatible, that will make Win8 very unpopular in the corporate world.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

There are early builds already out and I have yet to see anything that would suggest XBOX games on PC. The only info I was able to find was an unsourced artical on a generic tech site. Most likely posted to generate search inquires. 

Originally posted by Mendel

Exactly how do I signal 'Looking for a Group' with these motion sensitive controllers?

If Win8 is XBox compatible, that will make Win8 very unpopular in the corporate world.

Not in the slightest.

That's the great thing about Windows products, very configurable if you know what you are doing - and hopefully your corporate IT does.

Besides, most companies buy PC's that are business versions etc. on special deals from places like CDW because they include service and support.

Most home users do NOT, they buy at Best Buy or Wal Mart.

As such, most all the "business class" hardware is absolutely terrible for gaming.

Unless of course you are a developer of some sort or someone using 3D modeling software for work like an engineer, in that case your PC could definitely be used for gaming, but not ANY more then now.

Is it crazy off the wall rumor? Yes.

Would it be very, very interesting and completely change the industry? Yes.

I won't deny either.

Originally posted by proponent

Why not?

It's brilliant.

Hardware incompatability.

They're Windows. The write the code that says what is and isn't compatable lol

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Gee, the rumour I heard was that a Nigerian Prince wants to make me rich!

Microsoft makes their gaming money off licensing the Xbox games.  They lose money (or maybe break even now) on the hardware.  If Xbox compatibility is going into their OS, you have to posit that they are going to try to make their money that way through some ongoing licensing scheme.

Though maybe it will kickstart them into making a new console that won't tie games into some five year old tech restrictions.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Actually that's incorrect. Windows 8 is re-designed from the ground up including a new MetroUI style UI. Its library system allows it to be almost instant on bootup like iOS but be a full OS for not only mobile platforms, but also desktop. If you have seen some of the developer videos of the demo, its being highly rated. And it really does look and run pretty amazingly. The good thing though, is backwards compatibility is supposively there.

• CzelawCzelaw Member UncommonPosts: 173

Nothing its a tab OS....shiny windows 7 for tabs.....wont do anything for anybody except maybe ppl who play framlife on facebook.....

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

From the way it looks MS might go game developer and let Sony make consoles.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

its XBOX LIVE  almsot same shit as gfwl that was originally just xbox life for windows.. and abandoned after

not actuall xbox game support , i understand those sound similar but totally difrerent, microsoft wont just kill xbox for sake of windows 8

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Xzen

Why? 360 has always, AFAIK, sold better than PS3.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I can't WAIT to see those spam pop-ups about XBox LIVE service and how I should subscribe to it. Hopefully the European Union will force Microsoft to remove the service from the initial Windows 8 installation because of the unlawful competition laws situation, something that's not completely alien to Microsoft.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

Gee, the rumour I heard was that a Nigerian Prince wants to make me rich!

Microsoft makes their gaming money off licensing the Xbox games.  They lose money (or maybe break even now) on the hardware.  If Xbox compatibility is going into their OS, you have to posit that they are going to try to make their money that way through some ongoing licensing scheme.

Though maybe it will kickstart them into making a new console that won't tie games into some five year old tech restrictions.

That's exactly what I'm saying and why I believe there is credibility to the rumor.

Gaming-only hardware is a dying business. Sony loses money on PS3 hardware like crazy and I bet Microsoft either loses or breaks even too on 360 especially now with discounts.

They make money on software i.e. games.

No point in making an upgradable hardware platform console - just make it a windows 8 PC you plug into your tv and use a controller or keyboard/mouse or connect.

So like I said, no more Xbox versus PC for Windows games - just WIndows 8 games that run on whatever hardware you have either it's a win 8 pc or some new console... which is pretty much just a win 8 pc you cna't upgrade lol

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Originally posted by Xzen

Why? 360 has always, AFAIK, sold better than PS3.

MS lost more cash on RRoD than Sony did on their PS3. Also MS has bought up all the MS/Sony domains and have been talking with sony about teaming up on the next console for a while now.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Win 8 will be the next ME - stick with 7 and wait for 9...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The big difference with Windows 8 that I heard is that it is able to run on a none x86 chip. That means it will run fine on surfing pads and hopefully next generation of cellphones but I am not sure it will affect PC gaming that much.

The general problem with PC games the last 10 years or so have been the increased cost in production which have lead to fewer smaller companies which have lead to a lack of imagination.

On a C-64 were most games made in a cellar by 1-3 people for almost no cost.

In the 90s the team were getting larger and often had 15-20 persons on them and a production cost of 1-5 million dollars.

Now we are talking about teams of at least 50 persons, a MMO often have several hundreds working on them.

Good graphics takes a lot of more work and coding a good game is a lot of work today. Unless someone invent a cheap way to make a modern game they will continue to rise in production price meaning every year will fewer games release and a few companies like EA and Activision will take even greater parts of the market then they already have.

Even if Windows 8 will be able to run console games as rumor say (those rumors were around about W7 as well BTW) I don't think they really will affect the future that much.

The reason cell phone games have started to take over the gaming market is that once again can smaller companies make the games, they are a lot cheaper to make.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Originally posted by Mendel

Not in the slightest.

That's the great thing about Windows products, very configurable if you know what you are doing - and hopefully your corporate IT does.

Besides, most companies buy PC's that are business versions etc. on special deals from places like CDW because they include service and support.

Most home users do NOT, they buy at Best Buy or Wal Mart.

As such, most all the "business class" hardware is absolutely terrible for gaming.

Unless of course you are a developer of some sort or someone using 3D modeling software for work like an engineer, in that case your PC could definitely be used for gaming, but not ANY more then now.

Not withstanding about the ability of business PCs being unable to run gaming software, business leaders (managers and up) will be worried about losing productivity to any operating system that promotes gaming.  Migrating to a new operating system is a pretty big drain on a company's technical support staff, and the added administration to prevent Joe in the Des Moines office from slipping in a Call-of-Duty disk and playing is really nightmarish.  (It will essentially be 100s of XBox titles that need administration all at once)

I could also offer than many business PCs are easily capable of running most current MMORPG games, albeit many might have to run at lower settings.  I suspect most business PCs currently sitting on desks are far more capable that this pathetic PC I run games on. (Asus S7v333 motherboard, 1.6ghz Athalon processor 1.5 Mb memory and Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (AGP) graphics card).  I build it when EQ wouldn't run on my previous machine.  Now, I couldn't update any component without replacing everything.  If you want terrible gaming hardware, look no further.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

That's exactly what I'm saying and why I believe there is credibility to the rumor.

Gaming-only hardware is a dying business. Sony loses money on PS3 hardware like crazy and I bet Microsoft either loses or breaks even too on 360 especially now with discounts.

They make money on software i.e. games.

No point in making an upgradable hardware platform console - just make it a windows 8 PC you plug into your tv and use a controller or keyboard/mouse or connect.

So like I said, no more Xbox versus PC for Windows games - just WIndows 8 games that run on whatever hardware you have either it's a win 8 pc or some new console... which is pretty much just a win 8 pc you cna't upgrade lol

It's an entertaining debate. Year after year we hear that the PC is a dying gaming platform and someone predicting the end is nigh. Now this rumor which flies in the exact opposite direction.

As to "hardware lock-in", I imagine the companies are not banking so much on huge profits from hardware sales, but instead all those XBox Live subs, points purchases, service fees, etc....Not to say they couldn't offer the same services to PC users, but I wonder how the psychology of "I already spent $$$ on this, might as well use those other features that cost $$$" work.

At any rate, I'd have to agree with earlier comments about compatibility. The Xbox is a constant (or near constant) set of configurations that developers can rely on. Move to a PC, which is intended to be "plug and play" and support a pretty wide array of configurations, and you no longer have your "known" configurations. So how do you account for all this besides adding some form of virtualization/hypervisor into the mix to abstract the PCs actual devices (not just the OS  HAL)? Once that virtualization/hypervisor in place on a PC, I give it a matter of hours until we see a decent emulator and much easier copying/distribution of games. 

So I suppose you not only have the hardware concerns, but you essentially remove some of the hassle around piracy (or legit backup of course) as well.

This is just a "off the top of my head" response to the conversation so far though. Despite some opinions, I believe MS has some smart people and, if this is in the plans, then I'm sure they have a laundry list of concerns to address that I haven't even considered :P.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

I found this: 

Reports claim Microsoft's next operating system will be able to play current console game discs through an Xbox Live Gold-like subscription service.Click Source for the link to the article

What we heard: The Teknylate article claims that Windows 8 will let users play Xbox 360 games on their PCs, although it attributes no particular source with the information.

Teknylate's piece appears to be the reason this story has entered the news cycle today, but it's not entirely new. A very similar story surfaced in May on Insideris, with the author of that piece (who goes by "Sam") attributed generic "sources" with the information that Xbox 360 functionality on Windows 8 PCs will be reserved for those willing to pay an Xbox Live-like subscription fee.

However, the subscription service won't simply be Xbox Live, as cross-platform play will specifically be prohibited to avoid competitive mismatches that could arise from one group of players sporting mice and keyboards while others wield standard Xbox 360 controllers.

Such a move would drastically increase the installed user base for the Xbox 360 and bring console gaming into households that never would have considered picking up a $200 gaming system they would play rarely, if at all. The risk of Microsoft undercutting the Xbox 360 market could also be limited as the console is already older at this point than the original Xbox was when it was discontinued.

The longer Microsoft can ride this generation, the better, but the software giant is rumored to be unveiling its next step forward by E3 2012. And given the razor-razorblade business model the gaming industry generally adheres to (in which hardware is often initially sold at a loss with the money recouped through software sales), perhaps Microsoft wouldn't mind significantly expanding the Xbox 360 user base without needing to sell more systems.

This isn't the first time Microsoft has eyed PC and Xbox integration. The company's original Games for Windows Live initiative brought the Xbox Live gamertag (and games like Gears of War and Halo 2) to PC players with merged friends lists and achievements.

And earlier this year, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer confirmed that the Kinect motion-sensing camera peripheral would be coming to the PC, saying, "We'll support that in a formal way in the right time, and when we have an announcement to make, we'll make it." (The company has since released the Kinect software development kit for PC.) It also doesn't take a very long look at Microsoft's first Windows 8 demo video to notice a resemblance between it and the Kinect dashboard.

The official word: Microsoft had not responded to GameSpot's request for comment as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus: There's essentially nothing to go on here, so it's an obligatory bogus. But Microsoft has indicated it wants to further integrate its Xbox and PC efforts, and the downside here is fairly limited.