Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Windows 8- what will it do for PC gaming?

LaterisLateris Phoenix, AZPosts: 1,802Member

Windows 8- what will it do for PC gaming? Will it improve performance  because of the possibility of new chipsets that are not intelx86 based? is it just flugg? What do you think or know?

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

Latest rumor I heard was that Windows 8 PC games and Xbox 360 games (as well as successor) will be interchangable.

As in, you can put your Xbox games into DVD drive of your Windows 8 PC and just play... assuming your PC has the hardware specs etc. which these days is quite easy and cheapish.

And then on new Xbox console system you'll be able to put in your windows 8 PC games and just play visa versa.

So pretty much, you only need one or the other and then it's just a matter of control system (controller or keyboard/mouse) and screen (monitor or TV)

Which, if true, will be completely f'ing HUGE

No more PC or Xbox games but simply.. Microsoft and you choose your hardware. Either an uncustomizable "in a box" solution with the new console or an upgradable and customizable solution via PC.

Which means you'll see full controller support via USB/Bluetooth for controllers on PC and full keyboard/mouse support via USB/bluetooth for consoles.

Considering where desktop computing is going, where the world "thinks" desktop computing is going, it makes sense to abandon the idea of "desktop" and "console" and just simply have "multimedia device."

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,211Member Uncommon

Nohing. It's a tablet enhanced version of windows 7 and not much more.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Unless I'm right with the rumor above in which case it changes everything.

• KanethKaneth Posts: 1,922Member Uncommon

Originally posted by BadSpock

Latest rumor I heard was that Windows 8 PC games and Xbox 360 games (as well as successor) will be interchangable.

As in, you can put your Xbox games into DVD drive of your Windows 8 PC and just play... assuming your PC has the hardware specs etc. which these days is quite easy and cheapish.

And then on new Xbox console system you'll be able to put in your windows 8 PC games and just play visa versa.

So pretty much, you only need one or the other and then it's just a matter of control system (controller or keyboard/mouse) and screen (monitor or TV)

No more PC or Xbox games but simply.. Microsoft and you choose your hardware. Either an uncustomizable "in a box" solution with the new console or an upgradable and customizable solution via PC.

Which means you'll see full controller support via USB/Bluetooth for controllers on PC and full keyboard/mouse support via USB/bluetooth for consoles.

Considering where desktop computing is going, where the world "thinks" desktop computing is going, it makes sense to abandon the idea of "desktop" and "console" and just simply have "multimedia device."

I really hope this is true. There are a number of 360 games I'd like to play.

XBOX live will be included. XBOX games compatability won't be.

• proponentproponent boston, MAPosts: 92Member

Doubt it will happen like this.

Not what I heard, that's not the rumor.

Originally posted by proponent

Why not?

It's brilliant.

How much money do they make off the consoles? Not much. Hell, for a long while there (and probably still) Sony was LOSING money on every console sold.

They make money off the games and the periphials.

So why not make Windows 8 play Xbox 360 games? They'd make MORE money on selling the OS and on selling the games then they'd ever make getting people to buy more 360's.

• MendelMendel Marietta, GAPosts: 924Member Uncommon

Exactly how do I signal 'Looking for a Group' with these motion sensitive controllers?

If Win8 is XBox compatible, that will make Win8 very unpopular in the corporate world.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• proponentproponent boston, MAPosts: 92Member

There are early builds already out and I have yet to see anything that would suggest XBOX games on PC. The only info I was able to find was an unsourced artical on a generic tech site. Most likely posted to generate search inquires. 

Originally posted by Mendel

Exactly how do I signal 'Looking for a Group' with these motion sensitive controllers?

If Win8 is XBox compatible, that will make Win8 very unpopular in the corporate world.

Not in the slightest.

That's the great thing about Windows products, very configurable if you know what you are doing - and hopefully your corporate IT does.

Besides, most companies buy PC's that are business versions etc. on special deals from places like CDW because they include service and support.

Most home users do NOT, they buy at Best Buy or Wal Mart.

As such, most all the "business class" hardware is absolutely terrible for gaming.

Unless of course you are a developer of some sort or someone using 3D modeling software for work like an engineer, in that case your PC could definitely be used for gaming, but not ANY more then now.

Is it crazy off the wall rumor? Yes.

Would it be very, very interesting and completely change the industry? Yes.

I won't deny either.

Why not?

It's brilliant.

Hardware incompatability.

I wouldn' t worry about the corporate world's reaction. They've responded with a resounding "meh." Most corporations will be waiting for windows 9 before upgrading. Gamers will likely avoid windows 8 because of the gawdaweful amount of bloatware and interface changes tablet integration requires. Winows 8 is a response to the ipad nothing more.

Why not?

It's brilliant.

Hardware incompatability.

They're Windows. The write the code that says what is and isn't compatable lol

• ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,413Member Uncommon

Gee, the rumour I heard was that a Nigerian Prince wants to make me rich!

Microsoft makes their gaming money off licensing the Xbox games.  They lose money (or maybe break even now) on the hardware.  If Xbox compatibility is going into their OS, you have to posit that they are going to try to make their money that way through some ongoing licensing scheme.

Though maybe it will kickstart them into making a new console that won't tie games into some five year old tech restrictions.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Shiloh, ILPosts: 864Member

Actually that's incorrect. Windows 8 is re-designed from the ground up including a new MetroUI style UI. Its library system allows it to be almost instant on bootup like iOS but be a full OS for not only mobile platforms, but also desktop. If you have seen some of the developer videos of the demo, its being highly rated. And it really does look and run pretty amazingly. The good thing though, is backwards compatibility is supposively there.

• CzelawCzelaw Florence, KYPosts: 167Member Uncommon

Nothing its a tab OS....shiny windows 7 for tabs.....wont do anything for anybody except maybe ppl who play framlife on facebook.....

• XzenXzen Los Alamos, NMPosts: 2,607Member Common

From the way it looks MS might go game developer and let Sony make consoles.

• SmikisSmikis VilniusPosts: 1,045Member

its XBOX LIVE  almsot same shit as gfwl that was originally just xbox life for windows.. and abandoned after

not actuall xbox game support , i understand those sound similar but totally difrerent, microsoft wont just kill xbox for sake of windows 8

• KaeriganKaerigan None Of Your BusinessPosts: 689Member

Originally posted by Xzen

Why? 360 has always, AFAIK, sold better than PS3.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• Methos12Methos12 Maladis 46Posts: 1,234Member Uncommon

I can't WAIT to see those spam pop-ups about XBox LIVE service and how I should subscribe to it. Hopefully the European Union will force Microsoft to remove the service from the initial Windows 8 installation because of the unlawful competition laws situation, something that's not completely alien to Microsoft.

Nature without Technology is little more than animals running about.
    Nature without Magic is without wonder or miracle.
    Magic without Technology is fantasy.
    Magic without Nature is formless and useless.
    Technology without Nature is application without understanding.
    Technology without Magic is repetitious and uninventive.

Originally posted by Arglebargle

Gee, the rumour I heard was that a Nigerian Prince wants to make me rich!

Microsoft makes their gaming money off licensing the Xbox games.  They lose money (or maybe break even now) on the hardware.  If Xbox compatibility is going into their OS, you have to posit that they are going to try to make their money that way through some ongoing licensing scheme.

Though maybe it will kickstart them into making a new console that won't tie games into some five year old tech restrictions.

That's exactly what I'm saying and why I believe there is credibility to the rumor.

Gaming-only hardware is a dying business. Sony loses money on PS3 hardware like crazy and I bet Microsoft either loses or breaks even too on 360 especially now with discounts.

They make money on software i.e. games.

No point in making an upgradable hardware platform console - just make it a windows 8 PC you plug into your tv and use a controller or keyboard/mouse or connect.

So like I said, no more Xbox versus PC for Windows games - just WIndows 8 games that run on whatever hardware you have either it's a win 8 pc or some new console... which is pretty much just a win 8 pc you cna't upgrade lol

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Actually that's incorrect. Windows 8 is re-designed from the ground up including a new MetroUI style UI. Its library system allows it to be almost instant on bootup like iOS but be a full OS for not only mobile platforms, but also desktop. If you have seen some of the developer videos of the demo, its being highly rated. And it really does look and run pretty amazingly. The good thing though, is backwards compatibility is supposively there.

Anyone remember Windows Millenium edition? They're doing it again. If you want instant boot up buy a SSD. It's a reskin. The rest is just Windows dressing, Pun Intended.

• XzenXzen Los Alamos, NMPosts: 2,607Member Common

Originally posted by Kaerigan

Originally posted by Xzen

Why? 360 has always, AFAIK, sold better than PS3.

MS lost more cash on RRoD than Sony did on their PS3. Also MS has bought up all the MS/Sony domains and have been talking with sony about teaming up on the next console for a while now.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada BerlinPosts: 1,277Member Uncommon

Win 8 will be the next ME - stick with 7 and wait for 9...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM