Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: The Long Good-Bye

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Players who want to help determine the final moments of Star Wars Galaxies will want to make sure to (re)activate their accounts by the end of today, Thursday, September 15th. After today, no more account creations or re-activated accounts will be accepted.

To get ready for the 'end times' for SWG, which is slated to close down forever on December 15, 2011, a new patch has been released that brings a host of changes to the game including Atmospheric Flight:

With atmospheric flight, you will be able to travel the skies above and see the worlds of Star Wars Galaxies in a new way. To launch into atmospheric flight, or to return to the ground, you can use your ship's icon in your datapad. Whether you are looking to host a peaceful event in your yacht with the Theed Waterfall as a backdrop or prove your piloting skills against another player over the desert of Tatooine, atmospheric flight will offer a unique way to experience Star Wars Galaxies.

Read the full patch notes and get your account squared away for the long good-bye on the Star Wars Galaxies site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• icehawkeicehawke Member UncommonPosts: 52

They should just reactivate all the old accounts. I cannot really see anyone paying to join/play a game that is closing in 3 months.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I want to forget about this MMO. Those updates since the shutdown announcement are just like putting salt in wounds.

Their whole attitude surrounding the shutdown has been insulting. 'at some point it has to end' 'we decided it was for the best' . Because the 'we'  in this are certainly not the players that were still playing it.  And whose 'best' exactly? It is like cowardly parents who dont have the guts to tell their kids that some decision was pure about self interest and instead make up some stupid excuse instead. So fking hypocrite and degrading.

The whole idea of 'lets make this game more fun for these last few months' is ridiculous. The same company couldve bargained for Lucas Arts' license and kept the game alive, but CHOSE not to do this. So now its just about squeezing another monthly payment out of you.

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by icehawke

They should just reactivate all the old accounts. I cannot really see anyone paying to join/play a game that is closing in 3 months.

What if they added atmospheric flight?   Oh wait..

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

For 5 years people have been begging for a rollback and now at 7k subs and servers shutting down in December they add atmospheric  flight!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• tshack88tshack88 Member Posts: 48

They added a badass feature when the game is shutting down.

WHAT THE FLAJFLKDUHSAJKL;GHDFA;GHFAD

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

I can't believe they waited this long for that new feature...lol

I did not re-sub...I wanted to get on for the last couple Months but I'm not paying SOE for a Game that's shutting down...We've said our goodbye's...I'll miss my 20 or so structures the most...hehe

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

You figure SOE would have the brains to try and leave people with a decent impression of them after they brutally destroyed what was a fun and unique MMO.

No, they try and trick you into resubbing now so they can make one final cash grab.

It's not even funny on what a crap company SOE is.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

My guess is that SOE will be out of business, at least in the MMO department, within the next two years.  Smedley has driven that division into obsurity.  There has to be a point where Sony realizes that the divison is a losing proposition and just boots it.

• xdefectxxdefectx Member Posts: 4

I will always remember the good days, PRE-CU!!!

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

You guys realize that SW:TOR is just the next "patch" to SWG-post NGE, right?

I mean, yeah, sure you realize it... Its, pretty obvious....

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

They are nothing the same. I've played both.

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

Originally posted by Abdar

*  <----- His point was right about here.

This is how far you missed it by.  ----> *

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by Ozmodan

My guess is that SOE will be out of business, at least in the MMO department, within the next two years.  Smedley has driven that division into obsurity.  There has to be a point where Sony realizes that the divison is a losing proposition and just boots it.

EverQuest "Next" is in the making.

SOE's MMO realm is obviously generating income. It doesn't have to be like WoW to be successful.

It's a profitable failure.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

I don't even want to hear it.

I've played nearly every major MMO out there. Star Wars Galaxies was the best by far.

Two reasons:

#1. It was just different. I didn't have my path set out in front of me. It was combat combat combat. I could socialize, set up shops, combat other guilds, go exploring (real MMO exploring), depict my character as different due to the countless clothing/color options, etc.

#2. Star Wars World

This will never happen again. It's sad.

The success of WoW has destroyed MMOs. It went from innovation and about the players to give give me give me give me give me $$$$ developers.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Thats adorable.

I don't remember typing "they are just alike" anywhere in my post.  Let me re-read it, brb.

k, totally back.

Nope, didn't saythat anywhere.  Aaaand, still believe in my statement.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

I finally found a good game to play after SWG shuts down.  Linkrealms.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

You look at the feature list of SWG even now, in its hacked up rebuilt state. It has more features than ToR and GW2 combined. Its sad to see it go. I'll be there when they shut the lights off.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Thats adorable.

I don't remember typing "they are just alike" anywhere in my post.  Let me re-read it, brb.

k, totally back.

Nope, didn't saythat anywhere.  Aaaand, still believe in my statement.

lol wow what you do teleport O_O you are like the mighty goku himself or better XD

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

You figure SOE would have the brains to try and leave people with a decent impression of them after they brutally destroyed what was a fun and unique MMO.

No, they try and trick you into resubbing now so they can make one final cash grab.

It's not even funny on what a crap company SOE is.

My thoughts are similar.  You think they would try to do something nice and just activate peoples accounts for the end, but no instead they go for a cash grab :/

RIP SWG, I still miss the early days pre-Jedi, pre-NGE, pre-everything that wrecked it :(

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

They did the same crap with tabula rasa.

Game was given a death date and 3 months before it was given the date they added a huge Earth instance where people could teleport back to earth and try to save the planet.  They also added a Mech tank.  

wow

• Shimmer9Shimmer9 Member Posts: 49

Do your part!  Sign the petition!! Go to saveswg.org!!!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

This is really depressing, honestly. They're doing all the cool stuff I wanted to see in the game back when I played actively and now it's shutting down.

:(

Bittersweet is an understatement.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Good by old friend

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

Wow.  I've never been one to hop on the "I hate SOE" bandwagon, but what a blatant money-grabbing attempt.  

To put resources into this game now and to bait it as our 'last chance' is insulting.   These resources should be being used elsewhere, in my opinion.

Oh well, it doesn't matter what anyone says.  We'll vote for it with our money, or not.

Does make me sad to see it go, still. 

• Shimmer9Shimmer9 Member Posts: 49

I dont feel this was an SOE decision.  This was made by Lucas Arts  They dont want two MMO's at the same time with the Star Wars title.  Lucas needs to stop being a stingy Ahole.