Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hellgate: Descend into Hell with Ripper X

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

What originally began its life as Hellgate: London has been reborn as today's Hellgate. The new iteration is a reborn version of the original and our own Ripper X has stopped in for a look. Check out Ripper's first impressions in Hellgate: First Impressions with Ripper X, our latest exclusive game overview video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

TL;DL?

Transcript please. I'll skip videos.

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Is it me, or does the hair cut on the lead heroines head make her look like an armored penis? Some subliminal marketing perhaps?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I did not watch the video...a transcript would be preferable to me as well. I would be surprised though if the review didn't boil down to the game would have been pretty cool if they finished it when it originally released. It wouldn't have been 'great', but it would have been pretty cool. Now it's just, "meh".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Mixed impressions here.

First off, grats to MMORPG for the video review, the first I've seen on here since I joined the site years ago.

The video itself was useful perhaps only to those who knew nothing of the game.    However, I would suspect that the bulk of the readers on this site would be more appreciative of some more meaty details regarding game mechanics and powers.  Something beyond a simple list of of the classes.

As to that announcer...... hmmm.    He voice was ok, I guess, very reminiscent of a certain reviewer on Youtube.    And while I found bits and pieces of his spiel mildly amusing, some of the monologue was just....awful.   "In an MMO, it's always good to pick up quests".   WTH???    I wanted to like this guy but he speaks like he's talking to 5 year olds new to video games.   

In the end, I must regretfully say I found the video not very useful or informative, and the voice commentary downright annoying.   Best of luck with your next vid.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by Samhael

TL;DL?

Transcript please. I'll skip videos.

There wasnt much to it. It took 7 minutes for him to get excited about a loading screen, tell you the names of the classes and accept 2 quests. Afterwards he shot a couple of mobs, commented that he could dual wield then said he was rebooting his computer. *yawn*

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This is actually just an OVERview of the game and its features. Similar to every other overview we've done each week as of late. They go on the game's Game Listing as another thing for players to check out when they're researching a new game. A full review will be coming later.

Our only video review of anything thus far has been for the Guild Wars Trilogy. More will be coming in the future.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• rivethead23rivethead23 Member Posts: 41

Was that some sort of parody? It was lost on me apparently. I noted at least two incorrect statements and I probably skipped through half of the video. 

• GlokyczeGlokycze Member Posts: 9

This video isnt informative in any way, you just see new guy to the game trying to make... something. Only usable thing you get from it is "its cool" and the classes. Srsly mate, before you do any vid of the game try to paly it for atleast 2-3 days and then rewiev some of the basics.

• jnserenojnsereno Member UncommonPosts: 43

Guys, I don't think the point of this video was supposed to be 'informative'. Actually, I think it IS supposed to be a comedy since he was being very goofy while commenting the gameplay.

EDIT: I liked it, and I laughed a couple times.

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

To be blunt, it's a 1st Impressions of the game, it's not a review, mainly an intro into the game with some visuals and commentary.  Sometimes I can get a little wacky, just having fun to be honest, some 1st impressions are more serious and some are silly, but like Bill said, the video isn't supposed to be detailed or super opinionated, more just showing the gameplay itself and giving viewers who haven't seen the game before a visual taste of the gameplay and some of the very basic features like Character creation and some mechanics. 

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by SwampRob

I wanted to like this guy but he speaks like he's talking to 5 year olds new to video games.   

In the end, I must regretfully say I found the video not very useful or informative, and the voice commentary downright annoying.   Best of luck with your next vid.

lol. That is pretty much the reaction every week when the Ripper vids come out.  Despite people constantly suggesting to the guy that he would be better off concentrating on trying to transmit some sort of actual information and drop the "funny?!" the same quality vids keep coming out.  

Pretty much par for the quality at mmorpg.com

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by BillMurphy

This is actually just an OVERview of the game and its features. Similar to every other overview we've done each week as of late. They go on the game's Game Listing as another thing for players to check out when they're researching a new game. A full review will be coming later. Our only video review of anything thus far has been for the Guild Wars Trilogy. More will be coming in the future.

Come on Bill you know these vids aren't overviews or informative in any way.

• aleianaaleiana Member Posts: 1

I find Ripper's commentary to be funny and entertaining. :) 

• james_mksjames_mks Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by augustgrace

Originally posted by SwampRob

I wanted to like this guy but he speaks like he's talking to 5 year olds new to video games.   

lol. That is pretty much the reaction every week when the Ripper vids come out.  Despite people constantly suggesting to the guy that he would be better off concentrating on trying to transmit some sort of actual information and drop the "funny?!" the same quality vids keep coming out.  

Pretty much par for the quality at mmorpg.com

Ripper cracks me up haha, maybe some of you guys should read the title, I'm gonna say "1st Impressions" usually is something Ripper does, going into a game for the first time. I don't see how you would even consider someone going into a game for the first time to give you detailed information on a game, sounds like he is having fun to me, and to be honest I like a little humor with gameplays, keeps it interesting and light hearted.

Ripper X, if you read this, are you still doing videos for Machinima and will you be coming back to Darkfall anytime soon?

• SgtFabulousSgtFabulous Member Posts: 42

Sounds like hes trying to badly impersonate sean connery, very annoying.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

RipperX, I appreciate your videos. Game looks kinda cool.

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

not optimized for mobile devices

dnr

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Tourlou ?  LOL, what a nice and funny video, i'll need to try that game, it looks fun.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by nodamnspam

Was that some sort of parody? It was lost on me apparently. I noted at least two incorrect statements and I probably skipped through half of the video. 

What do you expect from a Ripper video.  All the videos are like that.  They are not first impressions and they are hardly overviews.  To me, its like he went to the website, glanced over the info, then tried to recite it without notes.  Most of the time he has wrong information or just doesnt know what hes talking about.

Pro Tip: Either make it an OVERVIEW and know what your actually talking about or make it a first impressions video.  You can't do both or you'll just screw it up like you do every single time.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SgtFabulous
    Sounds like hes trying to badly impersonate sean connery, very annoying.

I work with someone who does this unintentionally. It's pretty awesome.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Jesus, closed after 30 seconds..

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Transcription please here, too. This is one of the worst video presentations of all times. Lost any wish to watch in first half minute. Never happened before.

• DiEx80DiEx80 Member Posts: 31

Is this an MMO or a single player game with online capacities like Diablo?

If this is an MMO then I'll give it a spin. Otherwise, I may pass and wait for Diablo 3.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Took part in the beta hoping that some of the Diablo magic would rub off on this game.  I quickly discerned it did not, which thankfully saved me wasting money on this game.

It is still the same lame game and I don't recommend those playing it, wasting more money on the item shop, it does not have much replayability.