Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DMO to have some elements of space marine?

news is a month old but i thought i would post it anyway

http://www.videogamer.com/news/space_marine_dev_to_work_on_40k_mmo.html

hopefully relic will make the game even more awesome

Comments

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

So I'll be holding gun in one hand, chainsaw in another? YESSSSSSSS

The demo was alright so badass. and it is actually hard (or maybe I just haven't got used to the game :P)

But I've always thought it was Vigil games that is devloping the title? or are they working together :S

hopefully this will be the cross between action and tps shooter

EDIT: Space Marines currently have a demo (I dl on steam, not sure how you access it otherwise) so people might want to try it out :)

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• hebzsterhebzster Member Posts: 16

Fantastic news if they're drawing their inspiration from some of the core mechanics of Space Marine. I was extremely impressed by SM and will be buying it on release. Fingers crossed for this one! :)

• HolyTrevorHolyTrevor Member UncommonPosts: 55

Originally posted by xKingdomx

So I'll be holding gun in one hand, chainsaw in another? YESSSSSSSS

The demo was alright so badass. and it is actually hard (or maybe I just haven't got used to the game :P)

But I've always thought it was Vigil games that is devloping the title? or are they working together :S

hopefully this will be the cross between action and tps shooter

EDIT: Space Marines currently have a demo (I dl on steam, not sure how you access it otherwise) so people might want to try it out :)

well relic (who make space marine) and vigil are both part of THQ, so they are putting some of the relic guys who made space marine and got them to help out vigil. I also cant wait for the release of space marine, the demo is kick ass i just want moooreeee lol

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

The game rocks. Zero replayability once you play hardcore in singleplayer.

Multiplayer is brutal with assault marines ruling. Make Devestators more effective on firing on the move (explain it on built in targeters) and this game will hit the sweet spot. Quibbles aside, this game gets the essence of what being a Space Marine is all about. And you can add items into the game easily (Chaos 'favors', Librarians, Apothecary, relics, banners, etc.)

I hope they take some of this gameplay and incorporate it. You can easily see how a psyker type could fit in.  And how the combat could play out for three factions. Make it Chaos, Imperium, Ork. Save the two eldars for an expack. Maybe make some pvp multipath maps for three faction, allowing for temporary ceasefire (eldar vs sm over a relic get ambushed by Chaos, sm/eldar vs chaos then back to slaughter for the win).

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

The action was incredible in Space Marine, but there are a few things I'd change long before implementing them into an MMO.

1. Movement. In Space Marine, the characters had mass. This is good, but where it wouldn't fit into an MMO is the mass taking effect on moving from side to side, forward and backward. People should feel the battles as much as see them, but if I hit the left strafe key, I want my character to strafe left now. No hesitation, no emulation of mass or momentum, now. If I am my character, and I am the one in that power suit fighting the battle (aka immersion), then my character will be thinking about moving just as I do, meaning there will be no hesitation at all. This is one thing that bugged me about Age of Reckoning; the slight hestitation on movement.

2. Controls. In Space Marine, the controls were absolutely beautiful for what the game was. But in an MMO? I don't want my character swinging in the corner while Orks are behind me scratching their heads at my stupidity. I want full control over my character at all times, and to implement this, they'll have to change some things. No auto-facing characters, no combo-oriented swinging of weapons. There were too many times where I'd press a key, and it would fail because my character was too busy doing a different animation at the time. Animation should never negatively impact game-play, period.

3. FPS Vs. TPS. Reports have confirmed that DMO won't necessarily be a mouse-aimed shooter. This makes complete sense, and is one place the game would have to be changed from Space Marine. SM was pretty much a first-person shooter with a third-person view, but it required that you aimed with the mouse rather than with the keyboard (or auto-aim like most MMOs). Unless the developers of DMO plan to have no loot, no clickable items, and no targeting, then we'll need control of our mice. A viable option is to give us the movement and control from 1+2, and let us aim by strafing and moving the screen with our mice. Right clicking the screen seems to be the defacto method of moving a character, and the same method effectively allows you to mouse-aim without locking the mouse out of any other uses.

4. Sync kills, aka "Executions." While these are definitely viable in an MMO setting, and part of me hopes they add it in, I would change it a bit to fit an MMO setting better. I felt the process of "Stun the foe, then execute" was tiresome and relatively annoying, especially considering how many times my character would fail to stun because he was in the middle of an animation, and therefore my attempt at Executing would result in taking a ton of damage. I would prefer a system that didn't fail due to such idiotic reasons, but also was situational in a way that prevented cheese kills in player versus player. It should only be usable when the foe is at an extremely low amount of health (would have died anyway), and didn't have some horrible consequence for not doing it at the right time. This will not be a twitch-based shooter, and sync kills should follow that model. The benefit could be a health boost or a refill of your energy shield.

5. AI. I felt unchallenged by the AI. Here I was, pulling off amazing moves, rolling, jumping into the air, smashing down on foes, etc. All my enemies? Running, shooting and whacking. Come on! Give me some AI that plans, cooperates with each other. I realize that the game isn't supposed to require much intelligence, strategy, thought, skill, reflexes, or anything else games should require, but I wanted to feel like I was fighting real enemies. I felt like I was fighting nothing more than a basic computer script. If it weren't for multiplayer, the game would be trash due to how boring it was fighting AI. A game with zero replay value may work for an MMO where you tank, heal, and grind mobs for the eventual goal of grabbing loot from the boss at the end of the dungeon, but something tells me DMO won't have the generic loot system we're used to seeing, and this means that unless the boss drops something pretty damn exciting, people are going to be hating life facing what can just barely be called artificial intelligence. That is my MMO-speak talking though. My opinion? Loot should not be an excuse for bad gameplay, ever.

edit: Broke it up a bit so it wasn't so much a wall of text.

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by heavyhebrew

Multiplayer is brutal with assault marines ruling. Make Devestators more effective on firing on the move

I dont think you have played much multiplayer then, most of the maps are completly dominated by Devastators with plasma cannons, which can fire as effectivley on the move as Tactical marines. Assault marines are the hardest class to get right and do well with so you see most people use the damn plasma cannons instead, they dont need a direct hit to deal damage and have massive range and the charged shot, which you can still use while moving has a huge AoE, bigger than even modified grenades and which will one hit kill everything in the blast radius.

Not to mention Devs have more base armour which is massivley increased by one perk and yet another perk that protects them for melee attacks, Devs just need one stomp/kick and a few bolt pistol hits and the fragile ASM is dead, Tacs cant really match them in the ranged department either, not even the Meltagun can kill them quick enough.

Not to mention you get all the noobs in clusters of them so if anything does get close enough it will get plasma blasted to hell anyway. So they whole thing ends up with groups of plasma cannons blasting away some other Devs with Lascannons sniping (lascannons though are not broken though, they do have some serious limitations) and a handfull of ASM jumping around killing out of position people with some Tacs with meltas killing the newbie ASM who havnt learned to avoid them yet.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

They didn't really go into much detail about what parts of Space Marine would be included. The combat graphics? The combat pace? The combat style? No action buttons? Are Space Marine characters the only ones getting some sort of Space Marine influence in the game?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• cheshyrecatcheshyrecat Member Posts: 137

The slow-mo executions wouldn't work in an mmo setting.  full speed executions....now I'm on board.

While I can't say the space marine game is without flaw, I can say it was damn fun and the fighting style would work quite nicely in an mmo setting.  Personally I'd hope they move away from the traditional mmo format of 1 character and lean more towards 1 main character with a small squad (pets) attached to them.  I know, I know, no one agrees and hates the idea.  I'm allowed to hope and pray. image

I'm none the less pleased that the boy and girls of Relic are lending a hand with the mmo.  It only gives me more faith that they're on the right path for the game.image

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Space Marine looks great but is really good for only a single play through.  One of the most linear games I have ever seen in the last several years, but I guess FPS titles can't help it.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• grawssgrawss Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by Warmaker

Space Marine looks great but is really good for only a single play through.  One of the most linear games I have ever seen in the last several years, but I guess FPS titles can't help it.

Certain FPS games can't help it as much as others, but Space Marine just pushed "linear" as far as possible to the point of being stupid. I could map out the entire game with a single unbroken line on a piece of paper. A game about World War II (for example) might require a bit of linear gameplay, but Warhammer40k can at least allow you to choose missions, or give you the option to go down either street A or street B. :/

Luckily, it just isn't possible (hopefully) to create an MMO game like that. :P

Sarcasm is not a crime!

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

I dunno about that, WAR came awfully close.

I'm not particularly bothered by linearity in a game when it's done well and makes sense. In Space Marine, you always had somewhere to go and little, if any, reason to backtrack. Could they have made it a bit more like a map you traversed instead of a track you follow? Yea, it's possible. Would it have been worth the extra effort? I don't think so. The single player campaign was short enough, and having to make a fully explorable map probably would have cut it even shorter.

If I could ask for one thing from Space Marine to show up in DMO (aside from the engine, it was Vigil's to begin with) I'd ask for the seamless integration of melee and ranged combat. Making good use of both was not just fun, but necessary to overcoming challenges. It was also smooth as silk to boot, something that would behoove any development studio to learn from as an example.