Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon is a scam

Comments

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

Originally posted by Banden

Originally posted by mrcalhou

the fact that a lot of the things it has claimed to be, it is not.

Its not a finished game by any standard but It is most certainly NOT a scam.

If it's not a scam, then it's fraud.

Its an awefull lot of work this tiny independant developer have done to actually deliver the game they promised, they havent been able to but I am quite sure they tried to and intended to deliver, I think they tried very hard. Considering that they do refunds i think you should be very careful with your words, mister. No its not a scam or a fraud, its just not fisnished.

Chiding me on being careful about my words? I'm not the one that said, "a lot of the things it has claimed to be, it is not." That's pretty much the very definition of a fraud.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• MirokataMirokata Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Benedikt

you guys are so funny

"Easy money grab for Notorious Games  ..." 

easy money grab? do you have any idea how much money had to cost to get the game at least into the state it is now?

A lot, thats probably why he fired the whole team, hired a couple of Russians and still kept selling the game like it was going anywhere.

imho most probable reason why xsyon was released in the state it was is really simple: they overrated their abilities and underestimated time and money they need to create a bug-free (well thats more or less myth, but lets say almost bug free)  and fully finished MMORPG.

It was released b/c he wasnt make any progress since he fired the people who actually wrote the game, and he was tired of trying to fix it. He actually cited being burnt out.

Yes, they overrated their abilities.

Estimation: Game is ready for launch in 1 month with FULL FEATURE PAGE

Reality: 1.5  years later, almost no progress has been made, and I wouldn't even wager a guess when the full features might be in.

Misestimation by at LEAST 20 fold? Yeah, he probably shouldn't be in his current position.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

This game is not a scam, if you want to read about a real MMO scam go look up Dark and Light. That game was a huge scam, the developers even purposely made the game in a country where no one could persue reparations from them. 

Xsyon is just poorly managed, underfunded, and overestimated there abilities to implement.

There was no malice or intent to defraud players, the devs just kind of sucked in alot of areas.

As other have stated OP, you had plenty of chances to get a refund for the game, instead you chose to stick with it. If it was such a huge scam then why did you not leave it when you had the chance to get a refund.

Also, what con-artist refunds money ? Seriously, think about that.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin

This game is not a scam, if you want to read about a real MMO scam go look up Dark and Light. That game was a huge scam, the developers even purposely made the game in a country where no one could persue reparations from them. 

That game a huge scam, this is a little one.

Xsyon is just poorly managed, underfunded, and overestimated there abilities to implement.

There was no malice or intent to defraud players, the devs just kind of sucked in alot of areas.

I'm starting to see the problem here. You guys are refusing to accept the evidence that has already been presented in this thread multiple times.

As other have stated OP, you had plenty of chances to get a refund for the game, instead you chose to stick with it. If it was such a huge scam then why did you not leave it when you had the chance to get a refund.

Nice. This thread doesn't have anything to do with the OP's personal vindication. Some people actually care when injustices are happening in this world and weaker people are at risk of being tricked out of their time and money so some clueless selfish dev can make his dream MMORPG (which no one else wants to play).

... but I guess in your mind we should allow them to continue using false advertising to make sales, since theyre indie of course. What a joke...

Also, what con-artist refunds money ? Seriously, think about that.

The kind that wants to keep the scam going? As you have already saw earlier in this thread, a lot of people just left their money with them. It's not like they had some massive PR campaign saying "Hey we understand the game is nowhere near acceptable. You can have refunds and free game time". It's pretty sad when Sony cares more about their customers than your indie company.

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

the fact that a lot of the things it has claimed to be, it is not.

Its not a finished game by any standard but It is most certainly NOT a scam.

If it's not a scam, then it's fraud.

Its an awefull lot of work this tiny independant developer have done to actually deliver the game they promised, they havent been able to but I am quite sure they tried to and intended to deliver, I think they tried very hard. Considering that they do refunds i think you should be very careful with your words, mister. No its not a scam or a fraud, its just not fisnished.

Chiding me on being careful about my words? I'm not the one that said, "a lot of the things it has claimed to be, it is not." That's pretty much the very definition of a fraud.

Ok let me rephrase then, "a lot of the features that were promised to be in the finished game are not in yet and with the pace developement is at, it is not likely to happen anytime soon."

That better for you? Now please rephrase your own words. As i was saying, I dont think Notorious intended to rip off their subscribers. That implies that they wrote the feature page and developed the game to were it is, with the intention of ripping people off and thats not true. Xsyon does not pretend to be something it is not, it simply promised more than it could deliver. There is a difference.

• strangerdangstrangerdang Member Posts: 233

I think the longer Xyson continues to be a game in perpetual pre-alpha state, the more of these types of threads were going to see.

This isnt a game trying to launch prelude, its a game that cant seem to dig itelf out of the most basic of testing phases.  Once they actually figure out how to get the game to work properly with more than 50 players playing at once, then they are going to have to  deal with a gigantic laundry list of features that are not included. 

I think the only scam is where they state its a preorder for prelude, it should read "alpha-phase testing" as the words preorder launch and prelude all hint at a game that is at least playable on its basic levels.

Basically this one developer is trying to create his dream game, with no resources or manpower.

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

Originally posted by strangerdang

Basically this one developer is trying to create his dream game, with no resources or manpower.

He should probably state such openly, and be forward about needing the fan support to even build the rudimentary details.  Its not wrong to do that.  We will see a growing indie market based on this model coming forward soon.  Its good, it gives US a chance to physically influence what we get in this genre.  But, its gonna demand more from indie devs than the lazy half-assed we usually see.

• CoolWatersCoolWaters Member UncommonPosts: 104

Goofballs, if they are refunding money to dissatisfied players I hardly think its a scam or fraud.  It's just a product you don't like, possible with good reason.

Originally posted by CoolWaters

Goofballs, if they are refunding money to dissatisfied players I hardly think its a scam or fraud.  It's just a product you don't like, possible with good reason.

http://www.xsyon.com/refund-policy

"There are absolutely no refunds given on the establishment of an account and subscription to the service.  The service is non-transferable.  The Service is provided "AS IS" and is in a constant state of development and evolution."

They lie at every possible chance to make the person more likely to pay and to keep the money. One good side of the scam doesn't excuse every other side....

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by CoolWaters

Actually, it can definitely still be a scam or fraud. I don't think you know what those words mean. Of their potential pool of victims, they know that they will have to give the money back to some of them. It doesn't mean that their activity regarding the others was not fraudent or a scam. Giving money back to some people is in no way indicative of this not being a scam. Many of the best scams in history required the scammers to play it smart like this, giving money back to some people while continuing to rip off the rest. 

They actualyl did give out refunds after their (second i think) failed attempt to launch winter of 2011.

I would be fairly certain that this window of oppertunity has closed, mainly due to the fact that its now summer and little has changed other than the population.

I was one who did get a refund, it was fairly simple to do, i just sent a private msg to the developer over concerns i had with the game, which were legitimate.  He told me to send another msg or email to the billing guy, i was polite and helpful in why i wanted a refund.  My $40 was returned to me in a surprisingly quick fashion as well.  It is the only reason why i may one day again be a subscriber should the get the basics ireond out and the rest of the game released.

Im sure you could try it now, but i think a LOT of people during the winter attempt at a launch asked for refunds, and i dont think they have the resources to basically give every player one, since i can assume that after a week or two playing, new subscribers would clearly see that they are not preordering and paying for prelude, but rather paying to do what should be in house testing of the most very basic stages of game development.

I really dont think its a scam, i really do think its just one developer with a dream, trying to keep it all afloat.  Its a noble effort, however even the most ardent supporters of his project have basically given up on the game, at least untill it makes progress.

However given the pace (close to two years now with little progress?) and the scheduled release of the full game (about a year) i would say this game has at least 5 years before its acceptably playable with most features.  By then its will not only be dated (which it already is, my assumption is that he is uging the old Roma Victor game engin which is a hot mess in itelf...he use to be a developer for that game) but also will have some intense competition as MO may be decent by then, DF will have released 2.0, ArchAge will have release ect..

Oh and one of the things i suggested, and a big reason i asked for the refund, was that on the main website, and the order page, it was borderline false advertisement as to what i was in fact purchasing, preordering for prelude doesnt translate into pay to alpha test, it was very misleading at the time, and im sure it hasnt changed since this winter.

Be warned, its a nice concept, and you do have input with the developer, however its barely a playable game, nothing has a use or does anything (item wise) other than baskets for carring useless stuff and crafting just to craft.  If your willing to put up with it all, and i mean for a very long time, jump right in.  I suggest waiting however, last i checked on the official forums, its the same old issues from back when i played (minus the crowed that showed up and caused 5min ping..literally 5minuets) and as i learned were the same issues that had been plaguing the game since its origional launch attempt over a year ago.

• nutsoddsnutsodds Member Posts: 89

Hello!

I'm a Xsyon player since the beguining and maybe you can say I'm a fan boy.

Have you tried the game in test server? I think you could try it and you will see how the game has changed.

Completely new combat revamp working great,and damage balanced armor ,unarmed,weapons and so on.Much more funny.

Animals ai has changed a lot,and more difficult to kill now.

Huge improvement on crafting,materials,stats bonuses have been added.Stat decay for tools armor and weapons

Lots of new architecture recipies like roofs,gates,floors ,posts walls.

Little things like labeling bins,new names and info over the characters,scrool bars on windows and chat and many many little tweaks.

Well if you want to know everything is new go to the forums hehe but don't say they are doing few improvement because it's not true.

OF course the players who play and enjoy the game mostly don't write on forums either hehe

• SeverinusSeverinus Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by ArmaniDevil

{mod edit}.

That's not an objective statement.

I don't know where you got that from so I assume that you either havn't played the game or just like to post garbage.

Xsyon is not a finished game and no mmo should ever be. A finished game would bore the hell out of everyone; there must be room for development and ideas when it involves multiple players.

Notorious Games is a small company and therefore it takes time to solve the various issues in-game.

It's not a scam. You buy a game for download that gets updates around every week and you get to play with others right away. How can that be a scam?

I'm fed up with spoiled youth that requires good action, good graphics and oomph right away only to be bored with it after a few weeks because most major gamedevelopers and publishers are going mainstream.  It's nice that there are some developers out there that makes games like Xsyon for those of us that got tired of the mmo mainstream.

Indie games are running on small budgets with only a few people to take care of things; using their spare time to improve and develop the game (yes, they're people and they need to work for a living). It's my hope that more indie games will find an audience.

Once upon a time ...

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

features pages will be mostly done very soon. Also Xsyon never advertised the game..not once. It was players who got friends to come play it. The devs did not want to advertise it till it was ready and latlely progress has been speeding up. It is a very small indie team, if you didnt read about the game or the fourms before hand then thats your own problam as Xsyon didnt scam you, you scammed yourself.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

all the screen shots on the site arent an accurate way to show how the game really is. I was playing the game on max setting the game does not look like all those screenshots they have up.

*this game is not even worth the $40 you can buy minecraft for like 20ish bucks and that game shits on this wanna be sandbox

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I Pre-Ordered this and in testing it was great fun crafting and building up my camp.. the game was cheap so i dint mind taking a little risk with the pre-order. Sadly on release my clan choose a bad area that jsut happened to be so laggy we would only get maybe 1 or 2 fps if we where by the time they managed to fix this all my clan had given up..

We where not expecting everything in the feature list as we knew this stage of the game was call prelude and we where made aware well in advance that this was going to basically be a live beta stage where they would keep adding features until the game went live and came out of the prelude stage, we where all ok with this but sadly after being unplayable for us.

Thats not to say i wont go back to check it out infact i probally will at some point, i mean the game had issues going around gathering stuff was fun and different to start with but soon got very boring and there was not much else to do as the combat system was really nasty and at the time no NPC animals to kill :(..

This is in no way a scam, its a company with very little money that had an awesome idea for a game, built an engine from the ground up, and for the budget they had its a great engine, I mean you can rise and lower land, make moats around your city/fort or whatever you make, you can chop down trees and they actually fall down not just vanish.. This game sadly like a lot of indie developed MMORPG has tons and tons of potential but because they have very little money to put into the game it develops way too slow :(

Screenshots on the site are pretty much what i remember the game being like on max settings..

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by illmaculate

Easy money grab for Notorious Games with no intention of spending money to further develop the game to a playable state. Total scam.

If you agree, say why. If not, also state why you think so.

{mod edit}

This is an independent company that sacked the guys that actually programmed the game then released the game with a few minor tweaks and has now supposedly hired new programmers who are slowly getting to grips with the game.

Give it a year or so and it might be in a better state gameplay wise but that all depends on if the company can keep afloat as the little players that are left leave and no monthly subs come in.

It is not a scam though. Just limping along.

Originally posted by Saorlan

Originally posted by illmaculate

Easy money grab for Notorious Games with no intention of spending money to further develop the game to a playable state. Total scam.

If you agree, say why. If not, also state why you think so.

{mod edit}

This is an independent company that sacked the guys that actually programmed the game then released the game with a few minor tweaks and has now supposedly hired new programmers who are slowly getting to grips with the game.

Give it a year or so and it might be in a better state gameplay wise but that all depends on if the company can keep afloat as the little players that are left leave and no monthly subs come in.

It is not a scam though. Just limping along.

"give it a year" is what they said over a year ago when the game tried to launch then.

Not a whole lot has changed in the nearly 2 years of attempting to launch successfully.  The game is still ages from being anywhere close to resembiling a beta stage, let alone a full game with few enough issues to be considerd final and launched.

Give this game 5 years and it might be the game we all hoped it was when we "preorded", and im not kidding about the 5 year part, they have a LONG way to go, considering how slow progress has been so far..i think you would all be better off trying Dawntides open beta than wasting your time paying for this game...at least untill xyson becomes in an actual game

• ArmaniDevilArmaniDevil Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Severinus

{mod edit}.

I don't know where you got that from so I assume that you either havn't played the game or just like to post garbage.

Xsyon is not a finished game and no mmo should ever be. A finished game would bore the hell out of everyone; there must be room for development and ideas when it involves multiple players.

Notorious Games is a small company and therefore it takes time to solve the various issues in-game.

It's not a scam. You buy a game for download that gets updates around every week and you get to play with others right away. How can that be a scam?

I'm fed up with spoiled youth that requires good action, good graphics and oomph right away only to be bored with it after a few weeks because most major gamedevelopers and publishers are going mainstream.  It's nice that there are some developers out there that makes games like Xsyon for those of us that got tired of the mmo mainstream.

Indie games are running on small budgets with only a few people to take care of things; using their spare time to improve and develop the game (yes, they're people and they need to work for a living). It's my hope that more indie games will find an audience.

Nah buddy boy, I was part of leadership in a 100+ (all quit) tribe that rhymes with dopey.  Myself and quite a few people had misguided faith in the developer, who seemed to have a solid vision for his game.

Notorious is twiddling his thumbs WHILE having them firmly jammed up his ass.

• SeverinusSeverinus Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Severinus

{mod edit}.

Nah buddy boy, I was part of leadership in a 100+ (all quit) tribe that rhymes with dopey.  Myself and quite a few people had misguided faith in the developer, who seemed to have a solid vision for his game.

Notorious is twiddling his thumbs WHILE having them firmly jammed up his ass.

Hey, fair enough you had a misguided faith in a developer, your problem, not mine and certainly not the game's fault.

I see that you or someone else has edited(deleted) your original post, good move ... hope you've found a game more to your likings.

It's not always (actually quite rare) possible for games and it's developers to fulfil everyone's wishes and demands and I do think some players in Xsyon were quite dissapointed that it didn't turn out to be what they had hoped for. On the other hand, many likes what it is now and looks forward to further improvements.

Like any other issues in life; it's hard to please everyone and one shouldn't.

Once upon a time ...

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Oversimplification for the win…

Yes, MMO are always evolving and are never “finished” in the sense that tweaks and new content are always being added. However, a good MMO releases with core systems in place and with solid mechanics that give players the tools to feel like they are actually in a living world.

Xsyon released with no mobs (they all went to the mist), a broken combat system, scant tools for the players to actually do anything in game, and a buggy mess of a code with desyncs issues galore. Releasing a game in that state is no excuse for hiding behind the whole “you can’t please everyone argument”.

Face facts: The game over-promised, under delivered and the community that is left, is pathetically small. Xsyon is not a success by any measure you would rate an MMO on…

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• MadimorgaMadimorga Member UncommonPosts: 1,920

Originally posted by Caldrin

I Pre-Ordered this and in testing it was great fun crafting and building up my camp.. the game was cheap so i dint mind taking a little risk with the pre-order. Sadly on release my clan choose a bad area that jsut happened to be so laggy we would only get maybe 1 or 2 fps if we where by the time they managed to fix this all my clan had given up..

We where not expecting everything in the feature list as we knew this stage of the game was call prelude and we where made aware well in advance that this was going to basically be a live beta stage where they would keep adding features until the game went live and came out of the prelude stage, we where all ok with this but sadly after being unplayable for us.

Thats not to say i wont go back to check it out infact i probally will at some point, i mean the game had issues going around gathering stuff was fun and different to start with but soon got very boring and there was not much else to do as the combat system was really nasty and at the time no NPC animals to kill :(..

This is in no way a scam, its a company with very little money that had an awesome idea for a game, built an engine from the ground up, and for the budget they had its a great engine, I mean you can rise and lower land, make moats around your city/fort or whatever you make, you can chop down trees and they actually fall down not just vanish.. This game sadly like a lot of indie developed MMORPG has tons and tons of potential but because they have very little money to put into the game it develops way too slow :(

Screenshots on the site are pretty much what i remember the game being like on max settings..

This sums it up pretty well.  Especially the last paragraph.  Needs money, needs time.  Not a scam, in fact, I've never known a company to give refunds like these guys did in the time period surrounding the official launch.

I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals.

~Albert Einstein

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by Asamighost
    I remember when people used to say this was the best game in the world, the true sandbox and so...
    Always wondered what happened to the hype, i guess it starts to show now.

It was a good time during the Beta. Then between lag from a huge jump in player base, and the developer freaking out and making last minute half-baked changes it fell apart. The whole game was built around having about 150 people online at a time and things fell apart with more than that.

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

Originally posted by Joliust

Originally posted by Asamighost

I remember when people used to say this was the best game in the world, the true sandbox and so...

Always wondered what happened to the hype, i guess it starts to show now.

It was a good time during the Beta. Then between lag from a huge jump in player base, and the developer freaking out and making last minute half-baked changes it fell apart. The whole game was built around having about 150 people online at a time and things fell apart with more than that.

Beta was a completely different game since there were no build zones and safe zones... Also because people thought this was just one part of a complex game to come.

Remember in the week before when Jordi was like "Imma release with 2 servers with different rulesets" and everyone was like "are you retarded?". lol

• travdotytravdoty Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Caldrin

I Pre-Ordered this and in testing it was great fun crafting and building up my camp.. the game was cheap so i dint mind taking a little risk with the pre-order. 

<snip>

Simple QFT