Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

theme park

wtf is a theme park mmo lol i googled it and all i get is amusment parks ahahah

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Everyones definition of what makes a sandbox a sandbox and a theme park a theme park will be different. The basic jist of a themepark MMO is one where you have quests that funnel you along a certain path. Think of it as a rollercoaster, you get on it and have fun but in the end you can only go where the tracks let you go and you cannot deviate from the set path. 

Is this a bad game play choice? Well thats another discussion in of its self. 

• nixvaldeznixvaldez Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Xerith

Everyones definition of what makes a sandbox a sandbox and a theme park a theme park will be different. The basic jist of a themepark MMO is one where you have quests that funnel you along a certain path. Think of it as a rollercoaster, you get on it and have fun but in the end you can only go where the tracks let you go and you cannot deviate from the set path. 

Is this a bad game play choice? Well thats another discussion in of its self. 

oo thanks man!!!

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

Originally posted by nixvaldez

in short - a game which tells you what to do each step of the way. it doesn't allow you to "get lost", has arrows, quests, clear paths throughout your progression experience so that you know exactly what you are doing. to help this, it is based on quest content and dungeons as the main XP source to prevent you from "doing your own thing.

some people like this because:

1. they lack imagination

2. they lack time

3. they like being spoon fed

4. they say they like "games with 'content'" even though they generally skip the quest dialogues and rush to finish it.

some people dont like it because:

1. it restricts freedom

2. content will inevitably end

3. it not 'group' friendly (people just group to suit their immediate need)

4. it does not foster communities (not ideal for RP nor does it encourage cooperation aside from group dungeons)

5. they are generally not very rewarding (low risk)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I put most the mmo's I play into two different camps

a = fun and entertaining

b = not fun and not entertaining

c =  not sure yet

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by Troneas

in short - a game which tells you what to do each step of the way. it doesn't allow you to "get lost", has arrows, quests, clear paths throughout your progression experience so that you know exactly what you are doing. to help this, it is based on quest content and dungeons as the main XP source to prevent you from "doing your own thing.

1. they lack imagination

2. they lack time

4. they say they like "games with 'content'" even though they generally skip the quest dialogues and rush to finish it.

1. it restricts freedom

4. it does not foster communities (not ideal for RP nor does it encourage cooperation aside from group dungeons)

I think this post deserves to win the "Incredibly Biased List of 2011" award!

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by Xondar123

/snip

Then I notimate you for a ''cant handle the truth'' award.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by psyknx

/snip

I swear.. all these Sandbox v. Themepark threads are like watching two little retarded kids fight each other.  No one wins and it's pretty pathetic when other people walk into it.

@OP

Themeparks tend to involve stories, quests, etc.

Sandboxes tend to involve just dropping you into a world, giving you a swift kick in the pants, and expect you to stand on your own like a big boy/girl.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Ikeda

Originally posted by psyknx

/snip

I swear.. all these Sandbox v. Themepark threads are like watching two little retarded kids fight each other.  No one wins and it's pretty pathetic when other people walk into it.

@OP

Themeparks tend to involve stories, quests, etc.

Sandboxes tend to involve just dropping you into a world, giving you a swift kick in the pants, and expect you to stand on your own like a big boy/girl.

have you ever had a kid with Down's Syndrome attack you? they are not only incredibly strong beyond their build and size, but they show no mercy.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I can't say that I have...

I was envisioning something closer to:

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

1. they lack imagination

2. they lack time

1. it restricts freedom

Yeah that is pretty funny.  That would be like describing the reasons people like sandboxes as:

1) The developers didn't add any content so there isn't any story to get in the way of mindless grinding

2) Nothing is given to you, so you get to spend 10 hours simply gathering the materials needed for that new crossbow

3) Forces you to group because of the roving bands of gankers

4) You need to really work for your achievements, like a 40+ hour a week desk job.  Having fun only rots the mind

LOL.  For the record I enjoy both types of games, but probably my ideal would be a hybrid of some sort...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

1. they lack imagination

2. they lack time

1. it restricts freedom

Yeah that is pretty funny.  That would be like describing the reasons people like sandboxes as:

1) The developers didn't add any content so there isn't any story to get in the way of mindless grinding

2) Nothing is given to you, so you get to spend 10 hours simply gathering the materials needed for that new crossbow

3) Forces you to group because of the roving bands of gankers

4) You need to really work for your achievements, like a 40+ hour a week desk job.  Having fun only rots the mind

LOL.  For the record I enjoy both types of games, but probably my ideal would be a hybrid of some sort...

I also think a hybrid would be the perfect MMO. Yeah, that means if you took TOR and EVE and smashed them together, the end result would pretty much be the perfect video game.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by Ikeda

I can't say that I have...

I was envisioning something closer to:

haha! ya thats what i figured.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse