Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Hit Spam Manipulation of MMORPG.com Popularity Counter

13»

Comments

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Plutonicwoes

Originally posted by username509

Originally posted by headen

Originally posted by deathshroud

im so glad the hate train hasnt landed on Darkfalls shores yet, its jsut rediculous over on the mo forum of mmorpg.com.

You're about 2 years late. The hate train arrived on time and unloaded it's delivery to Darkfall in full force. DFO was very disappointing in many ways to many, many people, including myself. It's just not the buggy, exploited and corrupted in-house that MO is. Don't get me wrong DFO had that too, but no where near the levels seen by SV. So, don't think MO is special with the attention your game gets. The reason the *hate *has lasted this long is well... SV continually breaks more things and leaves exploits in and openly gives players an advantage with items and free teleports. Where as AV cleaned up A LOT of those types of things. They just need to install the sand now.

It's very possible someone in adventurine is spamming mmorpg popularity counter and your saying MO is currupt?

MO is special with the attention it gets because the hate train hasn't stopped it just keeps going.  Most DF haters quit after a few posts.  Even the most hardcore DF haters quit after a few months.  Mortal has haters that have made hundreds even thousands of negative Mortal Online posts and they've been at it for over 2 years now.  

You'll notice the the DF forums on mmorpg.com are mostly dead now while the MO forums are still alive over overflowing with hate posts.

In fact the probable reason why hackers spamed DF popularity counter was probably to keep MO out of the top 10 list. 

1) It is very possible someone in AVENTURINE (no d) is doing this?  I am not saying you're wrong, but there is 0 evidence to show it., yet you act like it's accepted fact.

2) The conspiracy theories on this site just kill me. I hate to tell you, but no one playing Darkfall gives two squirts about MO or it's popularity. There isn't some grand war between the two games. 

3) The fact that a forums section on here is dead really shows nothing at all. 99% of people I play MMO's with have no clue this site even exists.  The actual games forums are still quite alive and  I would think that is a more important indicator than some 3rd party forums.  The WoW forums aren't exactly busy here, yet that game seems like it has some population.

It is no secret DF is hurting right now, I won't deny that.

Could someone be causing this, sure. In fact I think this is with out a doubt faked. 

I have this insane idea though, we could just wait and see what the Admins come up with rather than just pulling things our of our ass.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if you didn't end up doing EXACTLY what you nailed him for doing and also contradict yourself in the same post.

"0 evidence to show it, yet you act like it's accepted as fact"

Then you go on to say...

"No one playing Darkfall gives two squirts about MO."

"99% of people I play MMO's with have no clue this site exists"

"In fact, I think this is without a doubt faked" -> earlier -> "It's very possible someone in Aventurine is doing this"

Uhh...

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by HanoverZ

Originally posted by Requiamer

Its not the first time this happen. If i remember right 2 years ago DF hype (or whatever it was about) was put to zero for the same reason, and you had some fan cry on the DF official forum because it was the most natural thing to do (use script) since everyone was doing it. Was pretty lame.

It happened like 2 weeks ago to DAOC, its not just a DFO thing.

Indeed, it has happened to games like DAoC, EQ1, Entropia, Neocron, and Asheron's Call 2.  The reason why none of these other games has over 2 million hits for the year, however, is that they were only the recipient of unexplained spamming once every month or two.

Darkfall, on the other hand, was the beneficiary of these types of wild hit count aberrations a couple times to several times each and every week.  This has been happening for at least 7 or 8 months, impacting the counter so dramatically by inexplicable numbers, it has almost 2.9 million hits going back a year.  I say inexplicable, because of the overall lack of news articles, lack of feature articles, lack of major occurences with the game, and lack of forum activity evidenced on the Darkfall portion of this website.  A high hit count with such little activity is completely incongruent, as the Admin pointed out.  Obviously, it was being manipulated.

Since the cheating was stopped, and now DF is only getting legitimate hits, the wild variations in hit count has stopped, and not surprisingly, the game hasn't come close to breaking into the Top 10 any day this past week.  Shortly, it will go from number one for the week (based on the 55K false hits from last Saturday) to not even being in the top ten, because it is no longer benefiting from false hits.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Originally posted by Rohn

Taking a look at today's "Most Popular Games" section of MMORPG.com's homepage reveals what has become an extremely common occurence - the spamming of the Darkfall section of this site to run up the hit count.

DF has not been the only beneficiary of such dishonest and puerile tactics, but it has been the most regular recipient.

No this is correct.  There is a ton of people looking at the game.  Its one of the few unique ones out there.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Taking a look at today's "Most Popular Games" section of MMORPG.com's homepage reveals what has become an extremely common occurence - the spamming of the Darkfall section of this site to run up the hit count.

DF has not been the only beneficiary of such dishonest and puerile tactics, but it has been the most regular recipient.

No this is correct.  There is a ton of people looking at the game.  Its one of the few unique ones out there.

Yeah, right, because more people are interested in Darkfall than in all the other online games in the world put together. 

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Ex0dUs101

They probably macro'd it the same as they do their skills :P

lol. My first thought exactly. Not that I'm not a fan of Darkfall. Game has a lot going for it. Population is just not one of them.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Compared to actual player numbers you have to agree that it sounds somewhat fishy. Vanguard is another of the unique ones with about the same numbers of players and Eve is a lot larger...

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Now this is an Epic Fail......

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Its not the first time this happen. If i remember right 2 years ago DF hype (or whatever it was about) was put to zero for the same reason, and you had some fan cry on the DF official forum because it was the most natural thing to do (use script) since everyone was doing it. Was pretty lame.

Agreed, these things happens with many games,

I don't think anyone believe that there is an actual conspiracy working here or anything but acting like this hurts more than it helps.

It tells us that MMORPG.com should look over how these things should work, nothing more.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Originally posted by Loke666

Agreed, these things happens with many games,

I don't think anyone believe that there is an actual conspiracy working here or anything but acting like this hurts more than it helps.

It tells us that MMORPG.com should look over how these things should work, nothing more.

It doesnt hurt more. Since for ever, the 1st game most ppl saw once they got on mmorpg.com was DF. Thats how we kept having many new trials and new players buying the game at the end. It will helps DF more then you think.

Of course, for the other games, we now know that we cant take the rating seriously when rift, kotor, wow and some other AAA get burned by a game that do 0% advertisment

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

By the way, after 3 weeks, the spamming is happening again.  DF had 30,000 hits yesterday, and has over 24,000 hits so far today (so it's on pace for ~50,000 today).

As I said, it happens to other games as well, but with Darkfall, it happens frequently.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Really makes you wonder if it's Aventurine botting those hits or a 3rd party.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Really makes you wonder if it's Aventurine botting those hits or a 3rd party.

Only the admins here would be able to tell, but it's clearly a false number.  Over 25,000 hits for a game with such little activity is obviously manufactured.

By comparison, SWTOR is the next highest at 5,000.  SWTOR is one of the most hyped game currently in the world.  Its release date was announced yesterday, it's had a number of feature and news articles about it on this site recently, and its forums activity has active threads going to the second page.  Yet, Darkfall supposedly has 5 times the number of unique hits?

Granted, it seems a pretty silly thing to do, but there plenty of people that exaggerate the importance of forum ratings, numbers, and stats.  This seems to be a pretty clear-cut case - someone is manipulating the number.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Originally posted by Zooce

I was in the process of creating a thread in the pub and saw this one when I went to refresh the counter.  Figure I'll just use this one instead.

I don't get it.  Topics in the Darkfall forum are barely active, the general feeling surrounding the game is dissapointment and the face of the Dev team is associated with deception. Yet, for the past month Darkfall has produced 2x more hits than any other game. 

I was thinking it might be due to asian interest or DF2.0 curiosity.  But hit spam seems more likely. 

This is not the first time this has happened on this site, it's happened a few times way before the Asian interest was announced.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Originally posted by Zooce

I was in the process of creating a thread in the pub and saw this one when I went to refresh the counter.  Figure I'll just use this one instead.

I don't get it.  Topics in the Darkfall forum are barely active, the general feeling surrounding the game is dissapointment and the face of the Dev team is associated with deception. Yet, for the past month Darkfall has produced 2x more hits than any other game. 

I was thinking it might be due to asian interest or DF2.0 curiosity.  But hit spam seems more likely. 

This is not the first time this has happened on this site, it's happened a few times way before the Asian interest was announced.

To begin with, I don't think Asia would use MMORPG.com as reference, not because MMORPG.com is bad, but because MMORPG.com doesn't cover MMOs in Asia (only when they hit the north american/european market).

• bongloadsbongloads Member UncommonPosts: 381

I'm amazed that people can think that these could be legit numbers

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Covert viral marketing is a terrible thing isn't it.

StarVault and Mortal Online are a prime example of this too. A terrible game kept barely alive by a covert viral marketing scheme, as plainly admitted by the CEO in his financial reports. It too gets high hit rates on this site, yet has barely a couple of hundred people playing. You have to wonder why.

Perhaps the OP should investigate this too?

• MonsterMMORPGMonsterMMORPG Member Posts: 74

How does a hit get counted ?

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I would say maybe it's the recent success of Skyrim. I know watching some Skyrim gameplay I had to check Darkfall out again.. only to be sadly disappointed of course.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

I bet its Asian IP's.  Specifically China.  I know the Chineese loved Shadowbane and games like it (super hardcore open world open loot).  Knowing the developers have been in talks with Asian developers the past few months that would spike the intrest in the game WAY up.  Over there 50k players is a drop in the bucket.  Also 1000 CN players vs 30 NA players is not fun...

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Locking due to necro. Please post a new thread if your topic is more than several weeks old.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.