Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes: The Perfect Bite-sized WAR

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX, MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh had the opportunity to check out the just-announced Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes, a new MOBA based on the Warhammer IP. Carolyn's got the full report on Wrath of Heroes that you won't want to miss. Read on!

Here’s the thing that makes Wrath of Heroes different though… it doesn’t play like an RTS, it plays like an MMORPG.

The best way to put it is that who is essentially the bite-sized nuggets of awesome know as Scenarios, pared down into MOBA form. The combat’s been upped a notch, made more frenetic and there are specific characters tied to the familiar WAR classes, each with their own skill-sets and specialties. On top of it all, each match is 6 v 6 v 6… a little DAoC-like combat at long last.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Wrath of Heroes – The Perfect Bite-sized WAR.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• zumoozumoo Member Posts: 2

This company always jumps on the bandwagon late with a subpar game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The Bioware-Mythic team brings the Warhammer feel and their own unique blend of styles to the game.

That is in that case the first time they do that, WAR have close to no Warhammer feel.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I don't understand how they're metrics could possibly reveal that the scenario play, one of the features most despised by RvR fans and quite often complained about, was somehow the most popular form of PvP in there game.

Scenarios were constantly complained about, and the inclusion of them in the game is widely regarded as one of the largest flaws the game has. The 6v6v6 Mode is nothing like DAoC RvR, and nothing they do will ever change that.

Mythic had it right with DAoC, but it appears those days have passed.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Actually I am in the Beta for this and what I can tell you is it feels like the Scenarios SHOULD have been like this.  They really got the fast paced combat right.

The only problem right now is that the three teams dont have any identity beyond colour, I mean when you can have an orc and a dwarf on the same team beating up and elf.... well actually thats great but its not in warhammer lore.

If this were not a warhammer game I would say that when it launches it would prove a huge success but the warhammer IP holds it back if you know what I mean?

• DrFragDrFrag Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Kost

I don't understand how they're metrics could possibly reveal that the scenario play, one of the features most despised by RvR fans and quite often complained about, was somehow the most popular form of PvP in there game.

Scenarios were constantly complained about, and the inclusion of them in the game is widely regarded as one of the largest flaws the game has. The 6v6v6 Mode is nothing like DAoC RvR, and nothing they do will ever change that.

Amen brother.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I got the beta invite but haven't installed it.  Anyone confirm if there is a rootkit or not with this?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by waynejr2
    I got the beta invite but haven't installed it.  Anyone confirm if there is a rootkit or not with this?

If there was a rootkit installed with the game, wouldn't hiding itself from the user and the system be the first order of business?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I hated "scenarios" in Warhammer and it's why I quit the game.

Hopefully Mythic gets it right, but I won't hold my breath.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

just let this game die, please.....

RIP Orc Choppa

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

This article seems awfully heavy on the rose-coloured glasses.

It's painfully obvious to anyone who's seen both of EA's Warhammer offerings that Wrath of Heroes is EA's cheap attempt to capitalize on the current popularity of F2P MOBAs using as many assets as possible from an underperforming (yet likely costly) intellectual property.  Same base models, same animations (the vampire is using the warrior priest animations from WAR), same basic engine - trying to bring a product to market with a minimum team and minimum timeline for the sake of cash generation.

It should be noted that said minimum team includes developers who demonstrated a complete lack of ability when in positions on WAR (Carrie Gouskous was Lead producer through many of the worst patch cycles and Nate Levy was (IMO) completely ineffectual as a Combat and Careers dev).

This MOBA has very little to do with Warhammer (as noted above) and less to do with DAOC (just including three teams does not make it anything like DAOC's three faction RvR combat).

It may end up being fun and it may end up being popular, but I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope given it's pedigree and obvious rush-to-market design philosophy.

Originally posted by arctarus
    just let this game die, please.....

The problem is that this particular incarnation is fun. More fun than playing the mmo was.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Some valid concerns stated above. That said I'm interested:

• Warhammer IP

• Moba-Scenarios mix

• 6v6v6

• Mythic - can they learn their lessons and draw on their strengths?

• Enjoyed scenarios in Tier 1 WAR

Wait & See policy on this one.

• xpanderxpander Member Posts: 13

The Game(WoH) is Epic Fun Imo.

Only one thing is dissapointing. that there are no factions, just groupds so high elves can group with greenskins for example..thats little bad imo.they should make 3 factions and give each faction same abilities with different names or something to make it balanced.

a gameplay vid also:

• JorviasJorvias Member Posts: 13

I think they stole their motto from the Games Workshop retail demo rule of the four f's... fast, furious, fun, and fours.

I'm more likely to play this than LoL or Dota, I guess.

Stormlord Jorvias
    Fryer of Conductive Foes

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

Mehh. At least in other mobas you need to aim certain spells to maximize their effects afaik. This just looks like you spam 5 low cd skills over and over in the middle of the map. 

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I will say one thing about those images.

"Its not my fault, its that Abe guy!!"

"Its all that blue...bastards...fault!!!!"

As for the game, I hope this does well for them XD

• CyanKCyanK Member Posts: 20

I'm optimistic. The potential alone here will make the game worth a serious look when it launches.

• EzequielBEEzequielBE Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by zumoo

This company always jumps on the bandwagon late with a subpar game.

So true. Is the original DAoC team still present even?

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186

Cheap a$$ MONEYGRABBER!

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Any instanced or limited pvp is bad pvp.

6v6v6? don't make me laugh at that crap. It's sad that post-WoW players actually accept this garbage. Zero innovation.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You're making the mistake of judging their metrics, based on what you read through the portal that is your home PC.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by precious328

Any instanced or limited pvp is bad pvp.

Not if they add "Bloodbowl"... But I guess they wont, that would actually be fun.

• RagnarokWarRagnarokWar Member UncommonPosts: 35

I beta'd this game. From what I've played... DO NOT think of this as a standard MOBA. There is no laning, no feeding, no leveling up your character, no item buying, none of that crap. This game is fast paced, in your face action, and reminded me much more of the Comquest mode from Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It's also very well balanced, the game tends to go to whoever plays as a team.

This game also doesn't take an hour to play, you won't be poopsocking or getting screamed at for having to AFK in an emergency. Thank the Gods for this, as MOBA communities will SCREAM at you if you decide to AFK to take care of your 2 year old child instead of dorking it up in a lane.

Honestly, I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised when it comes out. I know I was, especially after the crap I went through with the WAR beta. Honestly, they should just get rid of Scenarios or have RvR-only servers and instead run this along side it. I think that would make both camps fairly happy.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Because there's probably more people enjoying scenarios than there are people complaining about them in the forums? It's really not that hard to understand.

Originally posted by Vinterkrig
    Originally posted by EzequielBE Originally posted by zumoo This company always jumps on the bandwagon late with a subpar game.  
     So true. Is the original DAoC team still present even?  
     No, Mythic's original team is long gone, Mythic isn't Mythic, Mythic is Bioware

Prime Online has some of the old Mythic team. They are designing a game with some aspects of DAoC.

Also, Wrath of Heroes is fun, but it's not really Warhammer. It is a MOBA with a Warhammer skin.