Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dawntide

Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

Anyone know much about this game? I dont think theres anything about it on this site.

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Do a search there has been plenty of topics about that game over the years.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Can we get a gamepage for this game? Its in open beta, and very playable. Still needs a lot of work, but its worth checking out.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

We have asked for awhile now but they ignore it, so I gave up. I think the company has to pay something in order to get there self a forum? Not sure but guessing as this game has been around for a  few years and open beta the last year. Alot of people like the game so they should add it. 

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

not sure why it hasn't been added but in a thread on the game Argo Online a forum Mod made very clear that there was no exchange of money for a page to be displayed.

its entirely possible that the opposite is the case and that the company has refused or not replied to formal requests by mmorpg.com.

don't forget IP is really a hot potatoe right now, no one wants to copy anything w/o the proper permissions.

however, i have noted more threads lately on this game maybe someone really interested could send in another request with links to the threads on Dawntide?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• EduneEdune Member Posts: 12

Dawntide is a lot of fun; I ended up trying it out a couple weeks ago and have played loyally ever since. It is important to remember that it will behave much like a beta game, so if you haven't played a beta or aren't prepared to deal with some bugs and crashes, don't bother. But if you can work through that, Dawntide is a good sandbox game with a lot of potential.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Dawntide is realy not up to the quality of MMOs that are on this site. That being said there are some pretty bad ones that have got a forum but not quite as bad as Dawntide.

• SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212

Originally posted by Edune

Dawntide is a lot of fun; I ended up trying it out a couple weeks ago and have played loyally ever since. It is important to remember that it will behave much like a beta game, so if you haven't played a beta or aren't prepared to deal with some bugs and crashes, don't bother. But if you can work through that, Dawntide is a good sandbox game with a lot of potential.

/sigh, if your a loyal player of this BETA title, try actually beta testing it, of course it plays like a beta, it's in beta.....folks if you join a beta, and like the potential you see and experience, then don't just expect bugs and the like, report them, that's what beta's are for, not tourisim.

• TablixTablix Member UncommonPosts: 51

I am one of the in game moderators for Dawntide and the community is very responsive to posting accurate bug reports and helping with the construction process of the game.  There are always a few tourists and free-riders but that is all good too.  Without a playerbase a sandbox can feel very empty and shallow, but there is a global chat chanel during beta so that new players can ask for help from the existing testers.  The community is generally mature and sensible as well as welcoming and helpful.

While most people would "expect" a more polished game after over a year of open beta, this is a small indie team working on under tigt monetary constraints.  The dev team are commited to expanding apon the current game mechanics evne beyond release and have published a roadmap of what will be in game at launch as well as details of more long term plans.

Few dev teams encourage feedback and actually listen and respond, the game you can all play now is just the start and its all designed and worked from player suggestions and ideas.  I am sure I will get the "fanboi" comments soon enough, but Dawntide is a work in process and its doing just fine.  While at present the game is in need of a complete combat overhaul that is the main priority for the dev team between now and launch, hopefully making an enjoyable system for the full loot pvp ruleset.

While I could sit and say the game is wonderful and perfect, that would be untrue, but with a little time and a lot of work there is plenty of scope for a very enjoyable sandbox game.  There will be tools for building, exploring, PVE and PVP, housing, boats and in depth crafting.  There is plenty of scope for roll players to enjoy the world and plenty of options for different play styles.

To add to all that anyone that installs now can play for the rest of beta for free and experiment with the game.  Even after launch all players will get 10 days to play for free before opting to sub monthly quarterly or even pay off a one time life subscription that is lower than one year monthly cost.  The forumsand website are currently under maintenance until Monday when new players can register and download.

I wont try and promise its perfect but it may be of interest to some people.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

We have asked for awhile now but they ignore it, so I gave up. I think the company has to pay something in order to get there self a forum? Not sure but guessing as this game has been around for a  few years and open beta the last year. Alot of people like the game so they should add it. 

The only ones that can get Dawntide added are the developers of Dawntide. It doesn't matter if you send links or recommendations until you're blue in the keyboard, if the developers do not request for the game to be added, it will not be added. And no, they do NOT charge fior a game to be listed here or to have forums.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

The only ones that can get Dawntide added are the developers of Dawntide. It doesn't matter if you send links or recommendations until you're blue in the keyboard, if the developers do not request for the game to be added, it will not be added. And no, they do NOT charge fior a game to be listed here or to have forums.

Most companies that have games listed here never visited this website.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by revy66

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Most companies that have games listed here never visited this website.

What's visiting the website got to do with it?

Other people said "Hey, check this game out mmorpg.com!".

Mmorpg.com sends an email to the devs asking if they want to be listed.

Devs respond "yes", their game gets listed.

Devs don't respond, it doesn't.

Been that way since the very beginning of this site. And is still that way according to this sites very own rules ( should you ever care to read them ).

Does it meet our requirements?

1. Make sure that the game isn't already on our list. We know that this sounds simple, but there are a lot of them and sometimes they get overlooked.

2. The game should have the capability to support at least 500 congruent users on a single server. This is not a reflection of the game's current subscriber count, but rather reflects the capabilities of a game's technology.

3. The game must include some form of common area where players can interact with one another inside of the persistent game world. This excludes lobby and chat room based interaction. Exceptions are made where logical (such as sports MMOs) that still fit within the spirit of what an MMO is.

4. The game must make use of persistent characters. This means that you should be able to log in after logging out and find your character as advanced as you left them (or more).

5. The game must contain some form of advancement.

So, what do we need in order to list the game?

When submitting a game to MMORPG.com for review for our Game List, we require the following:

• A visual representation of the game

• A transparent .psd of your game's logo

• A textual overview of your game

• A professional website, name of publisher, name of developer, press contact information.

• It can also be helpful (but is not required) to provide us with a 1,000 word + developer journal introducing the MMORPG.com readers to your game. Just a general overview of what the game is about and some information about what you feel are the stand-out features of your game.

*A visual representation of the game

3-5 Screenshots: These screenshots must be in-engine, un-doctored screenshots. They must be representative of what a player would see when playing the game.

or

A Gameplay video: The short video does not have to be gameplay only, but should contain a significant and obvious example of un-altered gameplay footage

*Website Requirements

All games to be listed at MMORPG.com must have an active, professional website. The site must be completely free of pop-up ads and spyware.

In the case of an active or in-beta game, the site must also provide access to some kind of user support system including, but not limited to: developer active help / support forums, direct petition system or support contact email.

Exception:

MMORPG.com will occasionally make an exception to the above visual representation rules only if the following conditions are met:

1. User demand for the game's listing is high enough to warrant the decision (as decided by MMORPG.com staff).

2. The game is being developed by a professional, well known, registered company.

3. Personal contact has been made between MMORPG.com editorial staff and the studio in quesiton.

Personally, I think they're going to have enough trouble proving the game can support more than 500 players on the server.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-