Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs are too damn easy.

13»

Comments

• kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55

The best MMOrpg ive played was Tibia. For about 12 years.  There was no line to folllow,no quest at all. The quest actually didnt gave exp,only some item. You could farm a monster for 4 days to actually get a single item. It was FANTASTIC. The pvp was AWSOME. You actually need to click the rune then click the guy to shoot. Which was 2.5d. You need to heal yourself aswell. You've get exhaust. It was open pvp. When you die you lost 7% TOTALLLL exp. Not just a part of your actual level. You were downgraded from level 53 to 51. Takes like 8h/lvl not to mention you need supply. Which you need to buy from other player. Because it couldnt be bought from shop. There was a real economy going on.You had makers that would make you rune. You paid them+protect them for selling to you. Open pvp,which such a death penalty. Not to mention you lose ALL your backpack +1 or even 2 random equipment. So if you went for a big hunt with a 2 days worth of runemaking (rune was made with mana...) Took about 2h20 for a backpack(20rune) which would be consumed in 10min of hunt. Then you need to hunt (lower stuff) but even the newer stuff was challenge. Spawn was limited so you actually had to fight for a spawn and things like that. The only game that werent out of control totally. You was limited to 3 random pking per week so thats why everyone wasnt killing everyone. Only the people you didnt liked. If you get attacked you can reply all you want.God i miss those days. The game became a noob game when they bump up the exp. They made stuff buyablein shop which makes people just non stop hunt the harder stuff for dayssss which makes the lvl cap goes so high it became boring. The game was fun when lvl 100 was high lvl. Now you see people with lvl 300-400+ running around. Not hard to get nowadays. You have to many life to be kill even by 10 people. Seriously if anyone ever tried tibia 8-12 years ago. You know this was the best game ever made. It took me 2 week to figure out how to use a ladder (LOL) . Too much pride to ask people and there was no tutorial...haha this game kicks asss and til then i couldnt find anything close to that. Mortal online is flawed. Im not a pvp guy but the whole dead penalty and when it takes age to level you get addicted to your character. So addicted it wasnt even funny.Id kill to get the same feeling on a game. I jump from mmorp-g to mmorpg. I dont get any accomplishment feeling or fun at all. Auto-walk /geta drink ...tab/1-2-1-2 tab 1-2-1-2 x8 auto walk go washroom repeat ...fuck wth. I been playing some old tibia server but it just aint the same due to people making bot. And since its a free server people doesnt actually ban them or even check. Or they actually bot themself and give them level which makes everything unfair. Give me a game with a challenge. Give me a game where dying is something that will make me cry. But something that will make me learn to care about my character. Give me some real mmo where other arent only a tank/healer/dps but someone i need for protection,someone i can help myself because i can get mats he need while he cant. IDC about awsome graphic and wow did SW:TOR really bragging about VOICE? OH WOW...the game got talking NPC WHEWW...Now thats awsome..seriously,its not.I can already say its gonna be a fail. Ill be buying it/playing it but it will fail. Easy mode as usual. Fun for a while. Then you play because...bah..maybe it gets better. Then you play because there's nothing else around. Then you go back to emulator playing your good old rpg thinking about hey...those time were awsome. I really miss them.,Hope i can find something fitting my standard eventually someday.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by kimahris

The best MMOrpg ive played was Tibia. For about 12 years.  There was no line to folllow,no quest at all. The quest actually didnt gave exp,only some item. You could farm a monster for 4 days to actually get a single item. It was FANTASTIC. The pvp was AWSOME. You actually need to click the rune then click the guy to shoot. Which was 2.5d. You need to heal yourself aswell. You've get exhaust. It was open pvp. When you die you lost 7% TOTALLLL exp. Not just a part of your actual level. You were downgraded from level 53 to 51. Takes like 8h/lvl not to mention you need supply. Which you need to buy from other player. Because it couldnt be bought from shop. There was a real economy going on.You had makers that would make you rune. You paid them+protect them for selling to you. Open pvp,which such a death penalty. Not to mention you lose ALL your backpack +1 or even 2 random equipment. So if you went for a big hunt with a 2 days worth of runemaking (rune was made with mana...) Took about 2h20 for a backpack(20rune) which would be consumed in 10min of hunt. Then you need to hunt (lower stuff) but even the newer stuff was challenge. Spawn was limited so you actually had to fight for a spawn and things like that. The only game that werent out of control totally. You was limited to 3 random pking per week so thats why everyone wasnt killing everyone. Only the people you didnt liked. If you get attacked you can reply all you want.God i miss those days. The game became a noob game when they bump up the exp. They made stuff buyablein shop which makes people just non stop hunt the harder stuff for dayssss which makes the lvl cap goes so high it became boring. The game was fun when lvl 100 was high lvl. Now you see people with lvl 300-400+ running around. Not hard to get nowadays. You have to many life to be kill even by 10 people. Seriously if anyone ever tried tibia 8-12 years ago. You know this was the best game ever made. It took me 2 week to figure out how to use a ladder (LOL) . Too much pride to ask people and there was no tutorial...haha this game kicks asss and til then i couldnt find anything close to that. Mortal online is flawed. Im not a pvp guy but the whole dead penalty and when it takes age to level you get addicted to your character. So addicted it wasnt even funny.Id kill to get the same feeling on a game. I jump from mmorp-g to mmorpg. I dont get any accomplishment feeling or fun at all. Auto-walk /geta drink ...tab/1-2-1-2 tab 1-2-1-2 x8 auto walk go washroom repeat ...fuck wth. I been playing some old tibia server but it just aint the same due to people making bot. And since its a free server people doesnt actually ban them or even check. Or they actually bot themself and give them level which makes everything unfair. Give me a game with a challenge. Give me a game where dying is something that will make me cry. But something that will make me learn to care about my character. Give me some real mmo where other arent only a tank/healer/dps but someone i need for protection,someone i can help myself because i can get mats he need while he cant. IDC about awsome graphic and wow did SW:TOR really bragging about VOICE? OH WOW...the game got talking NPC WHEWW...Now thats awsome..seriously,its not.I can already say its gonna be a fail. Ill be buying it/playing it but it will fail. Easy mode as usual. Fun for a while. Then you play because...bah..maybe it gets better. Then you play because there's nothing else around. Then you go back to emulator playing your good old rpg thinking about hey...those time were awsome. I really miss them.,Hope i can find something fitting my standard eventually someday.
    Seems to me you're not looking for a challenging game you're looking for a game that's a giant time sink. Nothing you really described is challenging, just time consuming. Farming the same monster for 4 days isn't hard just repetitive as is basically everything else you described.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The OP makes the mistake of equating 'time consuming' with 'difficulty'.

The two are not the same so not sure what point the OP is driving at.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

@ OP:

Oh for fuck sake!! Seriously?!

I hate to do what I'm about to do, because I'm a retro gamer myself and I love Olde Skool arcade and console games, but this has to be done.

First, there were tutorials back in the day. In the arcades they were called "Attract Mode" and they showed you what the goals of the game were. The games would also have the instructions printed on the bevel of the screen just in case you were the type of person that reads the nutritional information on cereal boxes. On consoles, instructions were a complete waste of time for most games. You only had TWO BUTTONS!!! Want to know what they do? Try pressing them Enstien. 

Second, console games of the era were designed to compete with arcade games. Arcade games were designed to kill the player. The idea was to get another kid to plug quarters into the machine every thirty seconds to three minutes. What's more, arcade operators could crank the difficulty of a game if they thought the machine wasn't making enough money. Yeah, coin op machines were the F2P of their day.

Third, meaningless accomplishment is meaningless. Unless you're Billy Mitchell, no one really cares how damn good you are at video games. The endorphin rush is still the same regardless of how you got there. A sprinter and a marathon runner both get the same high. Back then,we used fake difficulty to make money, today we use massive grinds and peer pressure to keep people paying... er... playing....

The truth is that nothing really changed. Players were getting bored with the impossible difficulty of earlier games, so the industry found a new way to hook them. Now, players are getting bored with leveling treadmills and arbitrary achievements so the industry is going to have to come up with something else. 

I'll bet good money that you aren't going to like the next thing that they come up with either.

• kimahriskimahris Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by eayes

Originally posted by kimahris

Seems to me you're not looking for a challenging game you're looking for a game that's a giant time sink. Nothing you really described is challenging, just time consuming. Farming the same monster for 4 days isn't hard just repetitive as is basically everything else you described.

Thats because you havent played the game.You need to aim everything you did. You need to heal at the right time but then healing had a cost so you would heal at a minimum health to save money but then you exposed yourself to extreme danger. Dragon for example could melee/firewave/fireball. To melee it need to be near you. Firewave was actually a real wave (think about a cone  dragonshoot -=IH so you need yo stay diagonal from him (keep in mind it would move around you to try to wave you. Fireball would be shoot around randomly its like a circle normal AOE spell. Then that crap could combo.So while you shoot rune at him (manually...right click the rune,click on the monster) the monster would move around so u need to aim it. Keep in mind its kind of... Final fantasy tactic.No turn but action but you still gotta aim at it. Now if you shoot an attack rune your 2 second exhaust cant heal. To save money you heal at low health = you shoot the dragon hit you = you try to heal with an healing rune boom exhaust so the time you would take to re right click the rune to heal you the dragon would possibly gfb/wave/melee you. Its hard to explain but if you google tibia pvp you will see bad graphic but you will see loads of people having gallery of pvp cam because its really something you can be proud of. Its not based on gear or level at all. Its based on skill. tibia 7.7 to 7.0 from 7.7 to 8.9 or idk what its at now its complete garbage. Anyway,this game require skill,thinking and a common sense.It was a game you had fun from lvl 8 to lvl 1xx. The game only had 100k player (due to like 10 server that could hold 1k player online max ,which was enough because you actually interact with other) everyone knew everyone name. Its imposssible to describe the feeling of that game honestly. Even real friend that ARENT addicted to video game falled addicted to that game.the only game they played in their live is tibia . They never touch anything else.They arent playing anymore because that was the only game with THAT special feeling. Too bad you never had the chance to try that game because it was one hell of a diamond.

• ZiliusZilius Member Posts: 1

I don't think so..yes, for you to get to the max level its very easy, but at least for me the end-game content of many MMOs require a lot of things like group coordination, communication, acknowledge of your class and role and many other things that are far from easy.

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

Videogames in general are easier now than they were, not just MMORPGS (though there's always, of course, shining exceptions.) Since gaming is now more mainstream and being treated as full-on, consumer driven, businesses - game devs end up having to listen public and publisher feedback, as they're trying to draw in a larger audience, often by making the overall games easier (and hopefully adding in hard mode where they can.) Which isn't to say that difficult games don't come out, they're just more of a niche genre now rather than the industry standard.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Originally posted by rissies

Videogames in general are easier now than they were, not just MMORPGS (though there's always, of course, shining exceptions.) Since gaming is now more mainstream and being treated as full-on, consumer driven, businesses - game devs end up having to listen public and publisher feedback, as they're trying to draw in a larger audience, often by making the overall games easier (and hopefully adding in hard mode where they can.) Which isn't to say that difficult games don't come out, they're just more of a niche genre now rather than the industry standard.

I agree.

Take a look at the original Zelda Vs. the new Zelda for the WII.

In the old Zelda, you could travel the entire world. It didn't tell you where level 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 were. In the new WII Zelda, maps are structured so that users don't accidentally go into an area that offers no progression.

Even something as simple as picking up a red coin is turned into complete stupidity. If you pick up a red coin in Zelda for the NES, you notice that your coin purse increases by 20 coins. If you pick up a red coin on Zelda WII, you get text that pops up and says, "Congrats! You found a red a coin. A red coin is worth 20 green coins! With coins, you can purchase items. To see your coins, please press "X". You can also find a list of shops by hitting "Y". blah blah blah blah.

• VercinorixVercinorix Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

@ OP:

Oh for fuck sake!! Seriously?!

I hate to do what I'm about to do, because I'm a retro gamer myself and I love Olde Skool arcade and console games, but this has to be done.

First, there were tutorials back in the day. In the arcades they were called "Attract Mode" and they showed you what the goals of the game were. The games would also have the instructions printed on the bevel of the screen just in case you were the type of person that reads the nutritional information on cereal boxes. On consoles, instructions were a complete waste of time for most games. You only had TWO BUTTONS!!! Want to know what they do? Try pressing them Enstien. 

Second, console games of the era were designed to compete with arcade games. Arcade games were designed to kill the player. The idea was to get another kid to plug quarters into the machine every thirty seconds to three minutes. What's more, arcade operators could crank the difficulty of a game if they thought the machine wasn't making enough money. Yeah, coin op machines were the F2P of their day.

Third, meaningless accomplishment is meaningless. Unless you're Billy Mitchell, no one really cares how damn good you are at video games. The endorphin rush is still the same regardless of how you got there. A sprinter and a marathon runner both get the same high. Back then,we used fake difficulty to make money, today we use massive grinds and peer pressure to keep people paying... er... playing....

The truth is that nothing really changed. Players were getting bored with the impossible difficulty of earlier games, so the industry found a new way to hook them. Now, players are getting bored with leveling treadmills and arbitrary achievements so the industry is going to have to come up with something else. 

I'll bet good money that you aren't going to like the next thing that they come up with either.

This is a pretty good summary.

Here is another point. I quite often see people misuse the term 'skilled'. A skill is something that you can learn. What sets the top electronic gamers apart from everyone else is a very extraordinary combination of innate abilities. Specifically, the ability to perform complex multitasking, very fast reaction times as well as the ability to think very fast on the fly. None of these traits can be learned. The percentage of the human race that actually has this combination of abilities and plays electronic games is very very small. The Economist ran an article this year where a study was performed to test how badly people were impaired doing simple multitasking... talking on a cell phone while driving. Less than 2% of people were able to handle that without significant impairment of reaction speed.

Lets take a look at WoW. (I am picking WoW because large subscriber base combined with the freely available data on progress tracking lets you derive useful rough statistics). Looking at the records for what some of you are describing as 'not challenging' (IE high end raiding) only about 9300 guilds (mostly 10 man) have managed as of this date to down a single heroic boss or more in the latest tier of raiding content. Assuming a number of ~15 per guild average, that works out to about 1.4% of the games population. If you narrow it down to only those guilds that have managed a full clear, it drops down to about 1/100 of 1%. This in a game that is easy to level in and doesn't really have any serious death penalties.

So... about the only way you're going to see a game that will have the difficulty that you want that actually has production standards anything like the current par is if you get some extremely wealthy angel investor gamer willing to take a huge loss to produce a labor of love. This is what people mean when they say that a viable market does not exist.

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Can you hoenstly blame me? How has any AAA game since WoW been different?

It's amazing how many people take the argument as literal.

The NES has two buttons, yes. However, most developers pushed those two buttons + d-pad to the limits. MMOs, on the other hand, are coded as if all users can barely pass a driving test.

Originally posted by precious328

Can you hoenstly blame me? How has any AAA game since WoW been different?

It's amazing how many people take the argument as literal.

The NES has two buttons, yes. However, most developers pushed those two buttons + d-pad to the limits. MMOs, on the other hand, are coded as if all users can barely pass a driving test.

Not exactly sure what your argument is, but having a proper 'this is how you play the game' is a bad thing now?

Not everyone grew up with the NES era of gaming, but I'm puzzled why a proper 'tutorial' is now considered 'too damn easy'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• thepoptartthepoptart Member Posts: 61

Because while having a tutorial is important, being guided every single step of the way is a bit much.

Originally posted by thepoptart

Because while having a tutorial is important, being guided every single step of the way is a bit much.

And which MMO are we talking about?

Beyond the 'tutorial' levels/area MMOs i've played let you do your own thing.

Except when some new mechanic needs to be explained a bit later.

Gdemami -

Don't ask me, I'm just suggesting that's what he means.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by thepoptart

And which MMO are we talking about?

Beyond the 'tutorial' levels/area MMOs i've played let you do your own thing.

Except when some new mechanic needs to be explained a bit later.

Well he has a point.

Since WoW adopted quest tracker , you're preety much holded by a hand whole time , showing exactly with detail to 1 m , where to go , then where to go next and where to come back. Mmmorpg's are designed that way now , designer expects that players follow and arrow all the time , thus regions not associated with quests are empty spaces filled with anonymous mobs.

And quest descriptions lately aren't even made detailed just few general sentences (see Rift, newer quest in WoW ,etc) because player will follow arrow anyway.

So yeah you're reety much hand-helded through whole game.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

MMORPG have to get harder, but buffing mobs health and attack dmg is not the solution. Give mobs skills like guild wars 1 did. Guild Wars 2 goes a few steps further with scaling the difficulty.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

MMOs, on the other hand, are coded as if all users can barely pass a driving test.

*HUGE GRIN*

Driving test?  You mean they let these people drive in traffic?

Okay, now that's scary.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Easy is the generic thing for MMORPGs right now, just like Electronic is the generic thing in music right now, just like vampires are the generic thing in series right now. You probably get it :).

It will change eventually, we all have different tastes and our tastes change constantly. 

But i myself think that easy is the way to go. I never liked grinding in MMORPGS taking 1 year just to get to half of what the max level is. I want to get into the game on my 2nd or 3rd day. I don't want to play with weak skills with boring animations that's just not fun for me.

I want to have skills that look awesome when i cast them and deal good damage. Unfortunately in 80% of mmorpgs it will take you months before you can get that. 

In every single MMORPG i played it always goes like this.

Max Level = 100, Fun awesome skills = Level 70

Level 1-20 = Boring skills, not surprising it's low level. Level 30-40 = Boring skills, what? Level 50-60 = Boring skills, ok what the hell? It's going to take me a month or more to get to level 70 and you're not even going to give me something fun to use during that time?

Fuck this i'm going to a private server.

That's how i and MANY others feel about MMORPGS. Sure we want to reach max level and nobody actually minds if it takes long but it's about how fun it is leveling up, it's about the journey there. If you have nothing fun to use or do during that time it's not a journey i'm willing to take.

If you put everything fun starting at 70 when it's going to take months to achieve that level maybe even a year then it's pretty much a grind, forcing yourself to get to that level just to have any fun.

This is why i stick to private servers when it comes to MMORPGs. Fuck original server i want to have fun from the start, i'm not going to play one year just to start having fun.

Originally posted by Chimps

But i myself think that easy is the way to go. I never liked grinding in MMORPGS taking 1 year just to get to half

You realize that's fake hard, not real hard right?

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Yep, I think MMO's are way too easy as well. That's why I've voted with my wallet and haven't played any since the beginning of the year. Cataclysm and RIFT was the last straw. I can't bear to do one more easy chore (*ahem* quest). Shouldn't the term "quest" entail danger, exploration, problem solving, and strategy?

Personally I suggest DDO. I found that game to actually be hard. The one game I can think of with problem solving, and difficulty.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by Naqaj

WHOA!?!?!? I can barely do this! I keep dying on level 2! I finally get past it after several tries. When I did pass it, however, it was by the skin of my teeth. My heart was pounding at the finish line. I had to actually take a breather. I felt accomplished.

Wow, you're easy to satisfy. 

thats what she said.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos