Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Phase 1 of The Secret War Now Live

124»

Comments

• vanitycorpsevanitycorpse Member UncommonPosts: 22

first of all its facebook that rquires all information as thats the standard thing for facebook games, second you dont have to use or take part of the facebook game to enter the beta, but your chances of getting in will be better and third, when its coming out you WILL be giving them more info tha fabeook requires + your visa number :P as in facebook only info i have there is my name age city and some pictures, where as on mmo´s you give out visa, street adress full name and more 

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

Sorry, Funcom, but Facebook is BS, and by association, so are you. For as long as you maintain this connection to the most popular (and broken) social network, I ban you and your products from my life. Keep your secrets, they're obviously not worth knowing.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Xzen

Dragon

Just think Bruce Leee for that faction...that's as deep as Funcom usually get.

• KallendalKallendal Member UncommonPosts: 35

Wow....

This like, sad and disappointing on a really cyber level....

I have been looking forward to the game, at least to try out. LOVE the storyline idea, the conspiracies and legends.  VERY cool imho.

But, a Facebook account?  I'm sorry, but lame.  There is a large chunk of the billions of people in this world not to sell out to something like a social site.  Believe it or not, we make a living and willing to spend well earned dollars on a games.

Sadly, it looks like funcom is going to miss out on the money, all because of facebook.

Hope it is worth it.  I know I am not the only person opting out due to the facebook requirement.

Best of luck with the beta. 

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Ya...it is sell out when the gaming company is selling it through FaceBook. Doesn't have to be that way, but Funcom are playing for Social Network bucks here. 

• citadellicitadelli Member Posts: 36

I would say at least half the MMO community is probably one of the most globally cyber savy communities out there.  I think a lot of people's concerns does not just have a solo-centric perspective of their own security/privacy issues, but also inclined towards those who have no clue what they're up against online.

From Funcom's perspective this kind of information they can gain (even filtering those who create fake accounts) can be invaluable to them from a marketing campaign.

It's actually really smart but in my opinion a little dirty and declines the integrity of a company.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Kallendal

Wow....

I have been looking forward to the game, at least to try out. LOVE the storyline idea, the conspiracies and legends.  VERY cool imho.

But, a Facebook account?  I'm sorry, but lame.  There is a large chunk of the billions of people in this world not to sell out to something like a social site.  Believe it or not, we make a living and willing to spend well earned dollars on a games.

Sadly, it looks like funcom is going to miss out on the money, all because of facebook.

Hope it is worth it.  I know I am not the only person opting out due to the facebook requirement.

I'm almost positive Funcom has said NOTHING about requiring facebook to play the game, just to play "The secret war."  If you think they can easily pull off an ARG without facebook then please explain to me.

Other than that your post jumps around and makes it clear you dont know what your talking about.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

You can sign up for beta without using Facebook. The Facebook thing is just a distraction to keep people busy until the game launches.

If you already have a Facebook account, you've already shared the information in that account so adding 'The Secret War' to it isn't going to make it any worse.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• drake2kdrake2k Member UncommonPosts: 11

Anyone who puts their personal information on facebook is asking for trouble anyway.  It's all going to come back and bite us in the ass one day.   Oh, was this thread about a game?  My bad.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

Well facebook is considered a platform, a platform that many developers are exploring right now. And it's just for The Secret War it's a fun way to keep the community engaged, it's not like they are forcing people to play it. There is an option to just sign up for beta without facebook.

I honestly don't understand the hatred against facebook either, it's a good way to keep in touch with people and organize stuff. The event feature is great, the check in feature is great. It's like complaining about MSN and ICQ or w/e. It's a social tool and in this case Funcom is trying it out as a fun thing for the community and as marketing. I don't see how this is worse than putting commercial banners and videos on websites and on television/cinema.

• HordedogHordedog Member UncommonPosts: 46

Except you DO NOT have to use Facebook to register.

If you for the www.thesecretworld.com there are two options to register for the Beta... one that includes the "full experience" and requires Facebook, and the otehr option that clearly states is Beta registration only and does NOT require Facebook.

So everyone can get their panties unwadded now please.

• KallendalKallendal Member UncommonPosts: 35

I take back what I stated below.  Funcom account is active and working with beta. 

I seemed to have frustrated some folk from my previous posting.  My apologies if I offended peoples' senses concerning Social sites.

I'm a gamer.  LOVE to socialize in a game, not mix it up with RL drama.  They are two seperate parts of life as far as I am concerned.  Employers don't snoop my game accounts, they do snoop Facebook.

I won't, nor do I want to take the chance of playing MMORPGers as good or bad for my employer. Simply put...my reasoning are strictly privacy based concerns. 

Wow....

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

I take back what I stated below.  Funcom account is active and working with beta. 

I seemed to have frustrated some folk from my previous posting.  My apologies if I offended peoples' senses concerning Social sites.

I'm a gamer.  LOVE to socialize in a game, not mix it up with RL drama.  They are two seperate parts of life as far as I am concerned.  Employers don't snoop my game accounts, they do snoop Facebook.

I won't, nor do I want to take the chance of playing MMORPGers as good or bad for my employer. Simply put...my reasoning are strictly privacy based concerns. 

Wow....

It's funny how many people dont seem to see the "You dont need to use the facebook part to apply for the beta" part....and I also dont understand why such the 'hate-on' for Facebook...I mean they list just what sort of info they take from you...if you don't like it, change the settings..duh :)

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Lol soo many people whining about "personal" information.

WTF are you guys putting on your Facebook accounts that's so valuable?  You do realize that you have to give Funcom your CC#, address, email, and everything else when you get the game, right?

Or are you worried they might see that post about what you had for breakfast?

Piece of advice... if you don't want the public to see it, don't put it on Facebook.  if you wouldn't do it in public, don't do it on Facebook.  I don't get people sometimes.  the only thing you'll find on my page is that I'm 33, a male, and I have a job.  Oh, and I like MMOs.

• jdx1138jdx1138 Member Posts: 5

For me it's not about the information, my fb account is completely fake and no one I know irl is on it.

Like some others, however, I'm against the whole "you need to have fb to be on the Internet!!!" mentality.  I resisted fb for a long time and only got it for one, specific mmo that I love.  It reminds me of when AOL was king and people actually confused AOL with the Net.  I worked for a dotcom (remember the Nineties?  Good times....) and AOL users confused us with AOL all the time.  Now, fb is dominant.  In five years, I wonder which site corporations will force us to use in order to play their games.

If you want to sell me a game, great.  Just sell me the game.  Customers shouldn't have to jump through hoops for corporations.  Our cash should be sufficient.  I mean, it's not like they're doing us any favors.

• GarimiGarimi Member Posts: 3

Milander mentioned and I repeat-Beta sign up doesn't need facebook.

WINNING a guaranteed Beta key requires battling in the War which is an APP.  Facebook is chosen for that even more than for networking required for ARGs. And the fail launch was the third party app provider. Hubbub was that they didn't register and save the name before the first announcements; so when they loaded the app the page name was already taken by private individuals ramping up for launch. ^_^

If not facebook where is social and app support? Myspace? not T friendly for sure! Nor as simple to navigate and go viral.

I used a game account that is connected to my EA /Orgin and made a FB off of that. My profile is on my page. I just know how spammy war apps get on FB and not all my family likes games. Secrets? I just am not that important....LOL Not like any social site gets my phone, street address or bank card 0_o