Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming goes political

2»

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Salio69

this exact same group is responsible for releasing the "9/11 coloring book" which targets 3-8 year old children. in it, you get to color osama bin laden. that alone is trying to promote racism and hate towards other people.
    I have to admit that my first reaction to that statement was thiat is seemed like a bit of Undercover Brother thinking going on there, so I decided to research it myself and, while I still don't see the connection between allowing someone to color in multi-cultural pictures and promoting racism*, pages like crying at a memorial wall or action shots of shooting Muslims (terrorist or not) are just inappropriate for the target audience on so many levels.The shooting one is actually inappropriate for ANY audience at ANY level when you think about it.

*This view seems so odd to me, as in elementary school, acknowledging the diversity of the class and embracing it was encouraged. Everyone being different was always presented as a good thing. That the same approach in today's world would be perceived as racism is scary.

Welcome to America.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• miceinblackmiceinblack Member Posts: 122

I think politics in gaming is totally viable and can easily be incorporated. I even found a good example of how it could be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepS-IyKOLE

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Lexin

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Talthanys
    While I think very little of Palin, Beck, and O'Reilly, crafting their likenesses as targets in a commercial  video game steps beyond the pale. Using this platform (the gaming industry) for expressing political opinions is ultimately hurtful to the industry.
    They do this with movies, books and television, why is it surprising that people would do this with the next biggest form of entertainment? This isn't the first politically themed game to come out, and it won't be the last.

It is a pretty poor platform for political statements though. You definitely get the, "I don't like the Tea Party!" idea, but you don't get much in the way of actual thinking or promotion of ideas beyond, "Don't like this!"

Really? Can you link me to the movies, books ot TV shows where real (not fictitious) politicians currently in office are being repeatedly executed?

Never going to find one unless it's a Biography or Documentaries.

Agree with a previous post that if it were based on the dems it would be an even bigger thing then it is now. 
    Guess we need to wait and see now how badly this will affect gaming.

Exactly - a historical depiction of an actual death, not a video/story about murdering contemporary politicians.

I was thinking more along the lines of political commentary and views showing up in entertainment. It's why video games are a poor platform for political commentary. Most video games are about killing stuff. Doesn't leave much room for getting your message across.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Salio69

this exact same group is responsible for releasing the "9/11 coloring book" which targets 3-8 year old children. in it, you get to color osama bin laden. that alone is trying to promote racism and hate towards other people.

I have to admit that my first reaction to that statement was thiat is seemed like a bit of Undercover Brother thinking going on there, so I decided to research it myself and, while I still don't see the connection between allowing someone to color in multi-cultural pictures and promoting racism*, pages like crying at a memorial wall or action shots of shooting Muslims (terrorist or not) are just inappropriate for the target audience on so many levels.The shooting one is actually inappropriate for ANY audience at ANY level when you think about it.

*This view seems so odd to me, as in elementary school, acknowledging the diversity of the class and embracing it was encouraged. Everyone being different was always presented as a good thing. That the same approach in today's world would be perceived as racism is scary.

Welcome to America.

*folds arms* I reject your America and substitute it with an America of my own!

:)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I bet home boy won't be so proud of his little game when suddenly FBI.

I also think that FPS video games do not encourage violence but they do provide visual training for it.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

I don't know if it's wise for them to get involved in politics, but I don't really care either.  There are plenty of idiot celebrities jumping up on their soapboxes, preaching their own brand of poorly conceived political idealogy ripped wholesale from the headlines of the standard newsrags.  Why should the makers of a game self-censor themselves? 

Neither do I care if their actions or views are considered offensive.  I'm offended hourly by both the left and right-wing crackpots out there, but that's my problem and I would never advocate silencing them just because their message makes me want to vomit.  The alternative is far worse, in my opinion.

Let them make their silly little game and stop fretting about it.  It will leave no lasting, meaningful impact and will disappear into the realm of the irrelevant within a couple of weeks ... unless people keep giving it CPR by talking about it.

• ctshamectshame Member Posts: 104

Politicians are probably eatting this up so they can continue making more excuses to distract us from the countries deficeit. Lolol

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Originally posted by ctshame

Politicians are probably eatting this up so they can continue making more excuses to distract us from the countries deficeit. Lolol

Prolly the smartest post in this thread.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I don't see it as much different from the borderline libelous flash movies that appear in every campaign.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Icewhite

I don't see it as much different from the borderline libelous flash movies that appear in every campaign.

Interesting point, Ice.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Just a reminder : While this topic is political in nature, please remember not to offend anyone of a particular ideology. Discuss this topic only. Thanks!

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Kaerigan

That game sounds awesome, but I agree with you, perhaps not the best subject for a videogame, at least not in the US. Also, from the article:

Some researchers contend that first-person shooter games, where the user wields weapons to attack human targets, encourage actual acts of violence by helping a potential gunman to visualize and practice an attack.

LOL

Yes because then you know where to pick up health packs, power-ups, and how many shots to the face you can take before you die.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by fansede

Honestly I don't think it is wise for a gaming company to get involved in politics. Imagine if a game hd you shooting the President.? Al Sharpton?  A head shot to John Stewart and Rachel Maddow? Would you expect nothing to happen?

It brings bad attention to the gaming industry and is asking for regulatory slaps on the whole industry. You may get some media attention now, but congressional hearings - already leary of gaming companies for "corrupting the youth", now has more fodder.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/video-game-kills-palin/2011/09/07/id/410140?s=al&promo_code=CFF3-1

Tea Party Zombies Must Die

Looking forward to see if there is the same amount of outrage as there was about the idiotic Slavery the Video game etc.  I know that there are wack job groups out there that make whtie power games and the like and they are routinely bashed and held up as pariahs.  Wondering how blatant the hypocrisy will be concerning this one :)

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by Icewhite

Depends, this one is touting the fact that you can go into this game and perform acts of murder against virtual representations of actual people (Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Sarah Palin etc).  If there were a game for shooting Obama, Pelosi and the like how quick would the condemnations come?  And if someone will tolerate virtual violence against people that they do not agree with, then they must tolerate virtual violence against people with whom they do agree with.  Tell me, would it be acceptable if those targets were your mom or your dad?  Not sure about Rush but pretty sure that Beck has a couple kids and everyone knows about the Palin kids lol.

If you equivocate because of ideology then perhaps the ideology you equivocate for is not as sound as one might believe?  A sound ideology doesnt need to rely on the failures of another for its own successes, if that makes sense.

Personally, I believe that freedom of speech protects this, just as it does other vile and disgusting things.  My issue comes when one wants to condemn one thing while defending the same.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with libel.  Nothing whatsoever.  Libel involves misrepresenting another in a damaging way.  My coming out and saying that person A is a heroin addict and pedophile, publishing it and having it cause damage to that person's character etc.  This does have to do with the advocating of violence against real people and using that as a selling point. 

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

Originally posted by Xzen

I bet home boy won't be so proud of his little game when suddenly FBI.

I also think that FPS video games do not encourage violence but they do provide visual training for it.

Sorry, but no matter how much anyone tries, that training argument will never hold sway.  The absolute most it can do is desensitize someone to killing, which is already accomplished by turning on the TV and watching anyone other than the Disney Channel.

Take someone who has never touched a gun in their life, give them an FPS with an obstacle course or firing range map of some sort, then hand them that same weapon and take them to a similar real life version of the same location.  The results will be drastically different.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by fansede
    Honestly I don't think it is wise for a gaming company to get involved in politics. Imagine if a game hd you shooting the President.? Al Sharpton?  A head shot to John Stewart and Rachel Maddow? Would you expect nothing to happen?
    It brings bad attention to the gaming industry and is asking for regulatory slaps on the whole industry. You may get some media attention now, but congressional hearings - already leary of gaming companies for "corrupting the youth", now has more fodder.
    http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/video-game-kills-palin/2011/09/07/id/410140?s=al&promo_code=CFF3-1

Tea Party Zombies Must Die

I've just been playing the above teabagger game and LOVE it! Killing those scum is a joy! (reminded me of the old Redneck Rampage game!)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Kabaal

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Originally posted by Kabaal

Hmm, I wonder how a 24 or West Wing game would do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24:_The_Game

PS2, no wonder i'd never heard of it. From the reviews it sounds like it could have been quite good if they'd given it decent gameplay to go with the good story it had.

You seem to have faith in games made for TV shows and movies.  They usually have a horrible track record as being bad and / or bland games.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)