Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EvE- Bleeding subscriptions

1234568»

Comments

• FelconianFelconian Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by jpnz

There has been one constant, and that is the EVE's active playerbase numbers.

This is a big problem as essentially, all the work that has been done over the past 2 years (seriously, how many hours/money did Incarna cost?) was just enough for the status quo.

Here's something by one of the bloggers for EVE.

http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2011/08/some-curves-arent.html

TLDR; 2.4% increase in 30months. That is awful. C'mon, this isn't WoW where you can lose 1M here and there and still have 9M+ subs. This is a game that has 300-400k subs max.

This is a post by 'The Mittani', the chairman of the CSM that back up those numbers and the really big issue with EVE.

http://www.kugutsumen.com/content.php?198-Goonswarm-Federation-The-Last-Bastion-Of-True-Gooniness

TLDR; No new content over the past 2 years for FLYING IN SPACE.

The problem in a nutshell, in one sentence came out in the 2011 EVE Fanfest.

'Where the F--- are the spaceships?!'

This ...!

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by jpnz

There has been one constant, and that is the EVE's active playerbase numbers.

This is a big problem as essentially, all the work that has been done over the past 2 years (seriously, how many hours/money did Incarna cost?) was just enough for the status quo.

Here's something by one of the bloggers for EVE.

http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2011/08/some-curves-arent.html

TLDR; 2.4% increase in 30months. That is awful. C'mon, this isn't WoW where you can lose 1M here and there and still have 9M+ subs. This is a game that has 300-400k subs max.

This is a post by 'The Mittani', the chairman of the CSM that back up those numbers and the really big issue with EVE.

http://www.kugutsumen.com/content.php?198-Goonswarm-Federation-The-Last-Bastion-Of-True-Gooniness

TLDR; No new content over the past 2 years for FLYING IN SPACE.

It's actually been 21 months since the last PvP FiS content (if you don't count Incursions for being PvE). So 1.75 years.

Still far too long ofc, but confining one's rhetoric to the facts adds to the credibility of one's complaints.

Personally I think this winter expansion is make or break for the nullsec part of the game. And if nullsec breaks hard enough, then hi-sec breaks pretty badly too. The good news is that some of the people at CCP understand this. The bad news is that they're not the ones who sign the checks.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Well .. i hope they fix it ... by the look of that graph... Someone is going to get fired if they dont turn it arround.

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

Originally posted by Felconian

Well .. i hope they fix it ... by the look of that graph... Someone is going to get fired if they dont turn it arround.

According to the graph (and I am assuming it is like this in most MMOs as well), numbers will expect to climb again and peak somewhere near the beginning of Februrary and then decline until it hits the year low in the summer. In the yearly graph, you can see the trend from 2010.

This also has a lot to do with the scheduled releases of expansions. Whatever the winter expansion brings it will look like a hit, because eve's numbers naturally swell in the winter anyway. Then all the I told you so people will start to jump in on the band waggon in April and the cycle repeats itself. This is nothing new and I've seen it with countless expansions.

All CCP needs to do is include an option to view an image while docked if a player doesn't want to see WiS and problem solved. Then all of us vets will simply ignore the parts of the game we do not want to deal with. 

I dont think so... Every week that graph looks more and more ominous ! I

I have never seen a trend like that in the history of EvE - online... It should be turning already ..!

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

I didn't cancel because of Incarna or a perceived neglect of the pew-pew. I'm happy with both of those things and I'd shine CCP's shoes any day.

What I wasn't happy with was continuing to be charged after trying to temporarily cancel for financial reasons. Twice. That was two months I just couldn't afford at the time. I only finally successfully ‘canceled’ when billing failed due to insufficient funds in my account.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Kaelaan21

Originally posted by Felconian

According to the graph (and I am assuming it is like this in most MMOs as well), numbers will expect to climb again and peak somewhere near the beginning of Februrary and then decline until it hits the year low in the summer. In the yearly graph, you can see the trend from 2010.

This also has a lot to do with the scheduled releases of expansions. Whatever the winter expansion brings it will look like a hit, because eve's numbers naturally swell in the winter anyway. Then all the I told you so people will start to jump in on the band waggon in April and the cycle repeats itself. This is nothing new and I've seen it with countless expansions.

All CCP needs to do is include an option to view an image while docked if a player doesn't want to see WiS and problem solved. Then all of us vets will simply ignore the parts of the game we do not want to deal with. 

The 'trend' might be there year in year out.

The big problem is that there has been 2.4% growth out of 350-400k people over the past 2 years.

Compared to the growth we saw before, this is practically nil.

It is also CSM's point of view that the graph will plummet as people begin to leave before the winter exp hits.

With Seleene (former CCP dev) calling CCP out on the 0.0 dev blog recently to say 'you can't deliever this by this year', things are not looking good.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Clearly null-sec stuff needs a lot of attention and refreshment (pve newbie player here enjoying the game a lot, but i can see this clearly as well)  but there is a lot of moaning/on the cusp of whining here that is not going to encourage new players to the game.  Better to discuss what is needed to make the game better in this forum imo instead of doomsaying.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272

I think EVE fills a niche that no other game does for the moment, so CCP shouldn't worry too much about losing subscribers...yet

Keep on rockin'!image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Komandor

I think EVE fills a niche that no other game does for the moment, so CCP shouldn't worry too much about losing subscribers...yet

It is 8 years old so it is not entirely dumb to be a bit worried, but World of darkness online will probably take over the torch when Eve becomes 10 years...

Eve is a great game but great games ages just like anything else and sooner or later will any MMO start to loose players, even Wow feels that now.

WOW that drop is getting bad.... Uhmm ... when does summer end ... it's been the excuse for the last 10 months ?