Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG fireworks

Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Message from a dead game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXDqF-mfIY

Each firework was distinct you could launch each one as quickly or slowly as you wanted to, and in any sequence that you wanted, no game engine limiting you or limiting the number you could launch if you had materials to build a hundred or a thousand.  They had like 20 different fireworks, my favorite was the ones that made one huge bang which wasn't shown in video.

The fireworks could also be seen from quite a long ways away,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMBc_wMDy4I

so it's good to advertise your shop, entertainers regularly used them, or maybe a distraction in a battle, or maybe to mark your position to a friendly.  The options were limitless for the seemingly harmless little add on.

Blowing away a ton of fireworks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiCg9g5Zh6g

World of Warcraft fireworks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KhcnvOkd7Y&feature=related

Notice how the distance, altitude, and audio effects of WOW fireworks is pretty small.  Developers these days want to minimize how one player can effect the world and totally minimize what one player can do to effect what another player see's/hears, to the point where you cannot effect the world in any meaningful way whatsoever.

I once spent 2 days worth of grinding materials on making fireworks, and blew it all in like 30 minutes for no other reason then cause it looked cool, and I was trying to put on the best fireworks show one guy can make (I used the big boom sounding ones to great effect, alternating with the whistling ones, then visual).

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Hmm from what I recall of my time, I don't think I ever crafted a firework. Back in the day, my Rodian Master Weaponsmith was too busy supplying arms :) Those sure do launch though dang...

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by eluldor

Hmm from what I recall of my time, I don't think I ever crafted a firework. Back in the day, my Rodian Master Weaponsmith was too busy supplying arms :) Those sure do launch though dang...

Thats what they looked/sounded like in 2003 too, not bad.

I used fireworks once to advertise the opening of a shop, it drew a small crowd.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Pre-CU-wise, the fireworks were Commando gear:  Launcher Pistol and the consumeables like Grenades (Thermal Detonators, Imperial Detonators, etc), and the Rocket Launcher.  The Rocket Launcher had a cool animation where the character took a knee, drew out the weapon, fired the rocket, and disposed of the empty tube / launcher.

We had a Flamethrower, but that's pyro stuff image It was also Commandos' only reliable weapon back then since the others were horribly inaccurate, esp. considering the rest were consumeables.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Awe this topic has been moved to SWG, the corporate goons who make games these days don't want customers to know how crappy games are getting.

See check out the long visual range of SWG fireworks (turn off sound):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB4uJX_tSXg

How pathetic fireworks are in Guild Wars:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5LdvtZ2o04  Wow, that's more pathetic then WOW.

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

I remember when my whole guild was quitting to go to WoW (don't recall if it was because of CU or NGE) so I spent a few mill on buying up a large amount of factory crated fireworks (waaaaaay too many) and spent 3 days assembling fireworks packages....

and spent 4 hours launching them with the whole guild.  I ran out of packages halfway through and just assigned them all to the quickbar.  I wish I would have frapsed it, as it looked awesome.

My theme is how crappy games have become.  In this thread I compared the functionality of fireworks of SWG, WOW, Guild Wars.  Why was it moved to SWG sub-forum? 

Is not how crappy games have become pertinant to the generalized Pub forum about all MMORPG's, not one limited to the SWG sub-forums?

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Originally posted by Warmaker

Pre-CU-wise, the fireworks were Commando gear:  Launcher Pistol and the consumeables like Grenades (Thermal Detonators, Imperial Detonators, etc), and the Rocket Launcher.  The Rocket Launcher had a cool animation where the character took a knee, drew out the weapon, fired the rocket, and disposed of the empty tube / launcher.

We had a Flamethrower, but that's pyro stuff image It was also Commandos' only reliable weapon back then since the others were horribly inaccurate, esp. considering the rest were consumeables.

My favorate hobby back in the days ! :P Get launcers and one shot swoops(bike) of rival guilds and the other side (imps). 

Hit and Run was soo fun haha..

and yea, the launcher was a 50/50% chance to hit even at master commando and perfect range.  was fun tho.. best weapon ever in swg

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

Originally posted by Eladi

Originally posted by Warmaker

My favorate hobby back in the days ! :P Get launcers and one shot swoops(bike) of rival guilds and the other side (imps). 

Hit and Run was soo fun haha..

and yea, the launcher was a 50/50% chance to hit even at master commando and perfect range.  was fun tho.. best weapon ever in swg

One thing the CU and NGE lost was the fun/Tactical destroying of enemy transport (speeders, A-21s, etc).  Woe to you who does not store your speeder.

That said, I was a rebel and Imperial NPC soldiers were very good at blowing those up...I always carried factory crates of speeders (realism yay!) with me while missioning.