Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Free To Play Confirmed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In an interview translated from a Chinese gaming site, it has been revealed that Planetside 2 will be free to play. Planetside-Universe has confirmed with John Smedley that the game will be free to play but that "the specific details of the charges has not been determined".

Smedley indicated that he was unwilling to reveal any details about the F2P model but did drop a small hint in the form of "we like League of Legends a lot".

Additionally, Planetside Universe found out that the team is shooting for beta by the end of this year but will not commit to anything more than "It's ready when it's ready and we are proud of it."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Free to play in any sort of FPS style game seems to always mean P2W. Which is unfortunate.

World of Tanks is like that. In order to get anywhere near the end, you really need to spend money. If that amount of money were somewhere near the usual $15 a month, I would be good with that. But folks drop a LOT more than that, and in order to really participate at the high end, it becomes the same issue.

I would much rather have a pay to play situation...oh well.  I also dont mind Free to play with a subsctiption option like LotRO, that way both styles are catered to.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743
    Interesting

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

They could possibly do it correctly. We never know until they release the matrix or whether or not the cash shop is more than purely cosmetic or has a premium feature. P2W isn't always the way it is with F2P shooters, Global Agenda had nothing that made it pay to win.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

nice i like that idea alot.

• BritasBritas Member Posts: 46

SOE + competitive play + cash shop... ahh well, was nice thinking about this game for a while. 

• jedi_nightjedi_night Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Naral

Free to play in any sort of FPS style game seems to always mean P2W. Which is unfortunate.

World of Tanks is like that. In order to get anywhere near the end, you really need to spend money. If that amount of money were somewhere near the usual $15 a month, I would be good with that. But folks drop a LOT more than that, and in order to really participate at the high end, it becomes the same issue.

I would much rather have a pay to play situation...oh well.  I also dont mind Free to play with a subsctiption option like LotRO, that way both styles are catered to.

Actually, as far as WoT is concerned...you don't have to spend that much.  To turn your account into premium for 1 month of game time is the standard fare of 14.99.  This gives you enough gold to purchase 30 days of premium, and STILL have 500 gold left over for things such as gold ammo, purchasing garage slots, transfering xp from elited tanks or just saving over a few months to get something bigger.  None of which is needed to play succesfully.  Other then that, as premium, I make MORE then enough money and xp playing.  You could do without it, and yes..it would be harder.  But not in game.  The tanks aren't changed any by going premium.  You simply get more money and more xp.  So if you were playing NON premium...the grind for xp would take longer...and you would have to play more of your tier 4-6 tanks to fund your 9s and 10s, as you make more money on the lower tiers.  But it IS doable for 100% free.  And you don't need to spend more then 15 a month to get anywhere if you wanted.

• Originally posted by Naral

You're not familiar with Team Fortress 2 are you? I would suggest going and reading up on how a successful f2p fps is done, and then discuss how it is fortunate to have the game be f2p.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Yeah I'm hoping they don't go ridiculous with their store.Though it being an fps I don't see how you can't compete no matter what people buy.
  • WilliacWilliac Member Posts: 212

TF2 was ruined with the f2p and cash shop. Trading was bigger than the game itself, You could buy rare gear for nothing, thus ruining the work of thousands of players. TF2 f2p was a smart move for valve, no doubt, but it creates just as many sour minds as new players

• SupersoupsSupersoups Member Posts: 1,004

Awesome. best news ever.

• DevalonDevalon Member UncommonPosts: 496

They should make it B2P. I do not want to deal with hackers. They had to remove F2P on Planetside because of all the hackers. Also, There so many trolls in league of legends their costumer service cant deal with it. How the hell Planetside 2 going to deal with hackers and trolls fast enough?

The last shooter mmo came out was destroyed by hackers now this one will(APB). Sadly, the companies arnt learning from their past mistakes.

--
    "Any free people have the right to choose how it wants to be govern thats the essence of democracy. It's sad when America has chosen for the stability and consistency of a dictatorship and doing it democratically" -utnow

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

And the slippery slope begins...

For those of you who are comparing this to TF2, TF2 isn't a massive game and cannot be compared to planetside in my opinion.

Free to play for planetside "2" in my opinion means, you will not be able to unlock All vehicals through game play, you will not be able to unlock all skills through game play, you will not be able to unlock and use all weapons through game play.

You will pay for these privilages.  You won't be able to fly a galaxy transport ship by just playing probably.  Instead you will most likely have to shell out 5 bucks to buy "poiints" in order to buy the certification to fly the galaxy ship.

Sure, free to play might mean more players, but it means it will be more basic players that are only ground troops and cannot provide anything else to the fight besides their bodies. (which might not be a bad thing.)

Content will not be free, you will pay premiums for extra content.  This is an extremely bad decision in my opinion as it just paves the way more for games to be free while "paying" for premium service.

You think it will be cheaper?  It will not.  Why would a game change to a free to play model with a cash shop from a pay to play model if they are not making more money?

These companies do not care about the player, they care about the money.  So if switching to free to play with a cash shop will bring in more money, then they will likely switch to that model.

I was really looking forward to this game, but with free to play it will bring in mass amounts of exploiters, hackers, bots, and "gold sellers" spamming for you to purchase their services too.  You get banned?  have to fear! Just make a new account and begin being an asshole again.

Slippery slope...slippery slope..

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Originally posted by Williac

TF2 was ruined with the f2p and cash shop. Trading was bigger than the game itself, You could buy rare gear for nothing, thus ruining the work of thousands of players. TF2 f2p was a smart move for valve, no doubt, but it creates just as many sour minds as new players

Lol, it's not ruined at all. The first time I came back to TF2 was a month ago, and the first day I got on, there were plenty of servers to play, and the gameplay experience was exactly like it was the first year it released.

Why would you care about "work", in a FPS? Log in and shoot people, and if you are a loser, religiously track your k/d on ranked servers. You don't need a deep and engaging experience for a FPS. You only need solid mechanics to create fun, skill based gameplay.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Not surprising and after seeing how badly they screwed the pooch with their eq2 ftp server, i wouldnt hold hope for any better with this.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Originally posted by jedi_night

Originally posted by Naral

Actually, as far as WoT is concerned...you don't have to spend that much.  To turn your account into premium for 1 month of game time is the standard fare of 14.99.  This gives you enough gold to purchase 30 days of premium, and STILL have 500 gold left over for things such as gold ammo, purchasing garage slots, transfering xp from elited tanks or just saving over a few months to get something bigger.  None of which is needed to play succesfully.  Other then that, as premium, I make MORE then enough money and xp playing.  You could do without it, and yes..it would be harder.  But not in game.  The tanks aren't changed any by going premium.  You simply get more money and more xp.  So if you were playing NON premium...the grind for xp would take longer...and you would have to play more of your tier 4-6 tanks to fund your 9s and 10s, as you make more money on the lower tiers.  But it IS doable for 100% free.  And you don't need to spend more then 15 a month to get anywhere if you wanted.

Sorry but I really had a good laugh at your attempt to portray WoT as inexpensive when it is the exact opposite.  If you want to play the end game of WoT cash is needed and lots of it.  

As to planetside, we will just have to wait and see how they structure the cash shop, but in pvp games like this it is almost impossible not to include pay to win features in the cash shop.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

This must be the shitties new of the enitre year. Fuck you SOE. Planetside 2 had everything going for it and now we hear it's going to be free to play, lovely. Well no worries, I'm just going to shove Planetside 2 into my FAIL-list.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

If SoE are talking League of Legends model then we are meaning

1. Free dowload client, and cash payment version/box copy that has goodies included.

2. Cash Shop.

So yeah we are talking a fat wallet being required to get to the top of the game in addition to gaming skill. F2P in some cash shop models means paying more than a sub in others.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by Devalon

They should make it B2P. I do not want to deal with hackers. They had to remove F2P on Planetside because of all the hackers. Also, There so many trolls in league of legends their costumer service cant deal with it. How the hell Planetside 2 going to deal with hackers and trolls fast enough?

The last shooter mmo came out was destroyed by hackers now this one will(APB). Sadly, the companies arnt learning from their past mistakes.

No need to be so negative, hackers and cheaters wont be a problem because SOEs security department will have it all under control......

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

I agree that it should at least be B2P. All the f2p titles I've come across are just dreadful in terms of community.

• DegenatronDegenatron Member Posts: 2

Well, I can't same I'm not disappointed. I had really hoped SOE would stick with the Subscription model to keep the riff-raff out.

As it is now, Since I'm paying $15 a month for PS1, I'll give PS2 a try at that same rate, but if it becomes anymore expensive than that or if the F2P losers start clogging up the servers with fail, then I'll just go back to PS1 until SOE takes the last server down.

Oh, and WoT is SOOOO P2W. The very fact that the sell you special ammo should be your first clue.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

My guess would be that they will limit the battle rank you can obtain on a FTP account, and maybe make some certifications only available if you subscribe.

Really don't want to see a cash shop that improves your character.  Hopefully it's just subscribe / no subscribe and maybe a cash shop for cosmetic things.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Aw heck...there goes another one off the list.

On the other hand...maybe this will allow me to play without giving SOE a dime. Anything that results in companies like SOE not getting a dime of my money can't be all bad ;)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Frankly I love FTP. we are in a tight money situation and this makes some  games possible that would not be possible to play. Frankly after some FTP  if i liked the game I'll invest.....but not till I've had time with the game.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I assume you will be limited just so more players can be part of the battles, sure they will basically be grunts, but the game needs them to be successful. 

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

I like reading the current responses for the game,

hell my fanboy is showing, why not:

im very curious to  see how SOE holds on to the traditional philosophy of Planetside while using this model.

only sure way to find out is when beta and launch arrives, which is a long way from now.