Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I love Mortal Online

Comments

• pockets666pockets666 Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Tivian

I just watched the video for this game,and it got my attention. Then I started reading posts. Seems to me Eve started out the same way, I have played that game since beta 2, and this is a new title, go play something else for awhile....something free then come back in about 6 months to a year. Most MMO's are never code complete. or yyou can hang in there and send your bug reports and help out.

LOL The year and change I played MO I said in the forums over and over "when is this game going to get released I want to play it" me refering to the teaser trailer.  That thing was made in beta over 17 months ago and it still looks better than the game today.

• LariendelLariendel Member Posts: 23

I think if it were polished and taken care of I would pay for it.  Hearing that its future is iffy is a bit of a turn off.  The game is fun to me and thats the style I want, but this just isn't the game thats gonna bring this style into a better place.  

I will keep playing eve probably as long as I can pay with isk.  Hopefully I'll give in and finally hop into a corp instead of being a stubborn solo player all the time. 

About the fact that I have just made my first post in 3 years, I've watched this site a long time just observed and never really had much to say, the problems with MO actually hit me in the heart because I really like this kind of MMO.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

No worries, Lariendel.  The game does have its problems, but it has been slowly and steadily improving over time.  Perhaps you'll come back and give it a shot at some point in the future and see if it's more in line with what you're looking for.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by Lariendel

I think if it were polished and taken care of I would pay for it.  Hearing that its future is iffy is a bit of a turn off.  The game is fun to me and thats the style I want, but this just isn't the game thats gonna bring this style into a better place.  

I too love this "style" game, but SV fails to deliver time and time again.  Perhaps someone else will pickup the title and turn things around.

I win!!! LOL@U

Originally posted by Rohn

No worries, Lariendel.  The game does have its problems, but it has been slowly and steadily improving over time.  Perhaps you'll come back and give it a shot at some point in the future and see if it's more in line with what you're looking for.

I am definitely keeping a close eye on MO ;)

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by Noobgren

Originally posted by deathshroud

I like the dev communication in MO, its usually everyday or at least weekly. Sure there was some dev silence for the past couple of weeks but we only complain because we are used to daily interaction. Compared to other mmos who get 1 statement per month MO does it right here.

I have fun playing MO, bugs are annoying but i would rather play mo with bugs than wow without.

This type of reasoning is used a lot in the MO fanbase.

Problem is, the game is not made great by the fact that the CEO likes to do some advertising himself once in a while. I don't care how often the devs post in the forums, I care about what they say and how they say it. Imo it would be better if Henrik (or preferably someone like Mats or Sebastian, who actually know what they're talking about and are also fluent in English) had followed a regular, per-month update schedule - instead of going all bipolar and flood the forums with unfocused and  hyped-up posts and promises during one period, and then turn absolutley mute during another.

That way, we'd have a sense of planning and progression. Instead we have a lot of random promises and vague responses hidden among the players' forum posts. We have no dates, no ETAs, no roadmaps, no nothing. Just the usual "we're working on this, we're working on that".

i dont understand i mean were are these posts by the ceo advertising the game? he could of sweettalked the fan base with the last patch or the last development update. But he didnt. There was no post he didnt mention the ai fix or town life etc because its not something thats coming in the next patch. He doesnt post on the mmorpg forums. i beleive this muteness is a direct repsonse to people making posts like yours. I think they have decided that telling people what they are hoping for in the next build or what is planned and what isnt on a day to day basis is a bad idea becasue fans will spin it aronud every single patch when something doesnt work or doesnt make it in.

i think day to day contact with the devs is important so the fans can get their opinions across on what is and what isnt needed, for example if the development team had said prior to the patch we are adding a purify potion to the utility vendor. Most of the playerbase would have agreed for them not to do it. But instead they went on their own decisions and did something against the communites wishes (something rarely done since the communtiy usually get to here about something before hand) 

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

I like the dev communication in MO, its usually everyday or at least weekly. Sure there was some dev silence for the past couple of weeks but we only complain because we are used to daily interaction. Compared to other mmos who get 1 statement per month MO does it right here.

I have fun playing MO, bugs are annoying but i would rather play mo with bugs than wow without.

Problem is, the game is not made great by the fact that the CEO likes to do some advertising himself once in a while. I don't care how often the devs post in the forums, I care about what they say and how they say it. Imo it would be better if Henrik (or preferably someone like Mats or Sebastian, who actually know what they're talking about and are also fluent in English) had followed a regular, per-month update schedule - instead of going all bipolar and flood the forums with unfocused and  hyped-up posts and promises during one period, and then turn absolutley mute during another.

That way, we'd have a sense of planning and progression. Instead we have a lot of random promises and vague responses hidden among the players' forum posts. We have no dates, no ETAs, no roadmaps, no nothing. Just the usual "we're working on this, we're working on that".

i dont understand i mean were are these posts by the ceo advertising the game? he could of sweettalked the fan base with the last patch or the last development update. But he didnt. There was no post he didnt mention the ai fix or town life etc because its not something thats coming in the next patch. He doesnt post on the mmorpg forums. i beleive this muteness is a direct repsonse to people making posts like yours. I think they have decided that telling people what they are hoping for in the next build or what is planned and what isnt on a day to day basis is a bad idea becasue fans will spin it aronud every single patch when something doesnt work or doesnt make it in.

i think day to day contact with the devs is important so the fans can get their opinions across on what is and what isnt needed, for example if the development team had said prior to the patch we are adding a purify potion to the utility vendor. Most of the playerbase would have agreed for them not to do it. But instead they went on their own decisions and did something against the communites wishes (something rarely done since the communtiy usually get to here about something before hand) 

I love the idea of the developers talking to the players daily, does any mmo do that?  It would work even better for a game of smaller population like MO.  Why don't they hire a guy just for that?  Someone who comes in a chat/forum and talks about whats going on, and takes some notes from the players to run through the developers.

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

I love the idea of the developers talking to the players daily, does any mmo do that?  It would work even better for a game of smaller population like MO.  Why don't they hire a guy just for that?  Someone who comes in a chat/forum and talks about whats going on, and takes some notes from the players to run through the developers.

MO has a person for that role. Balck Opal, the community manager does essentially what you described. The problem is , he hasnt logged in in over 2 weeks. What makes this worse? MO has no bug tracker, bug reports are supposed to be PMed to Black Opal through the forum. So two weeks with nary a word, or a log in to take care of the bug lists players are Pming to him.

It is said he is having "internet problems".

Originally posted by Picklebeast

MO has a person for that role. Balck Opal, the community manager does essentially what you described. The problem is , he hasnt logged in in over 2 weeks. What makes this worse? MO has no bug tracker, bug reports are supposed to be PMed to Black Opal through the forum. So two weeks with nary a word, or a log in to take care of the bug lists players are Pming to him.

It is said he is having "internet problems".

Does he ever come here to mmorpg or does he stay on the official forums?  I can't imagine internet problems lasting two weeks these days at all....unless its the zombie apocalypse.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I love everything this game is trying to do, I love the more realistic rules (closer to old UO than todays typical MMO's).  I love the rough controls and all the work. 

I love it a lot, and I refuse to pay for such a half finished game.  Expansions are being released before small bugs are tackled.  I know this has been said a million times....but I just can't believe it.

Stick around for two more years and when u see nothing changing in the basic elements of the game, then...  come here.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

Does he ever come here to mmorpg or does he stay on the official forums?  I can't imagine internet problems lasting two weeks these days at all....unless its the zombie apocalypse.

He doesn't openly post here and its now 19 days since his "modem broke". 

I can't imagine anyone getting almost 3 weeks off work because their car wouldnt start.  You'd find a way to work or get fired, the whole thing is unbelievable.

I win!!! LOL@U

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

i love how they added big horse weiners

and if you sit and watch the horses weiner long enough it starts to peee.....you can even roleplay drinking the horses urine

Makes for some crazy wild MMORPG craziness

(No im not joking...they really added this as a feature) couldnt they have found something  to add to make the game better ?

so they waste time on animating a horses penis and making it urinate...instead of working on fixing all the problems

Hilarious

Originally posted by Grimula

i love how they added big horse weiners

and if you sit and watch the horses weiner long enough it starts to peee.....you can even roleplay drinking the horses urine

Makes for some crazy wild MMORPG craziness

(No im not joking...they really added this as a feature) couldnt they have found something  to add to make the game better ?

so they waste time on animating a horses penis and making it urinate...instead of working on fixing all the problems

Hilarious

If horse penis & urination isn't a reason to finally sub to this game, I don't know what is.

Originally posted by HanoverZ

He doesn't openly post here and its now 19 days since his "modem broke". 

I can't imagine anyone getting almost 3 weeks off work because their car wouldnt start.  You'd find a way to work or get fired, the whole thing is unbelievable.

That is awful

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

Come on man, Henrik is a hype-machine - or at least he used to be. 50% of hist posts are promises of all the cool stuff we can expect in the near future, and 50% are excuses why development is so damn slow and why old bugs and exploits keep returning time after time. He's a master at dodging serious concerns, and very good at hyping up the fanbois to a frenzy.

As for the fans deciding the dev process... not a good idea. At all. A company should have a clear development plan, and stick to that. Then they should communicate their plans and their doings to the players on a regular basis ofc, taking in feedback and so on. But that's not the same thing as letting the players decide what should be in the next patch.

The problem with SV is that their priorities are fucked up and they're not doing a very good job explaining them. The game is seriously lacking content and suffers from exploits and bugs all over, and they spend 5 months developing an advanced gene system (plus a pissing animation) for mounts - a system that breaks the game and forces them to spend the next 3 months on bugfixing and tweaks. No one understand why this was done instead of working on the AI and GUI for example.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

I do,   one word

Investors

Originally posted by BelegStrongbow

I do,   one word

Investors

What are you talking about?  Investors wanted peeing horse added?

I win!!! LOL@U

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by BelegStrongbow

I do,   one word

Investors

If a 50$ bet that they wouldn't do it counts as an investment.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• nortoninortoni Member Posts: 48

It takes all kinds.

Its about me

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Mortal Online is beloved by it's playerbase.  However it's not for everyone and some of the people seemed to have been chewed up and spit out by this game and express there outrage over and over again on these forums.  

It's not for everyone.  It's a hardcore, fullloot, open pvp, sandbox, and like all sandboxes on the market now it still has some bugs.   It's just not something themepark gamers are used to.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• PicklebeastPicklebeast Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by username509

Mortal Online is beloved by it's playerbase.  However it's not for everyone and some of the people seemed to have been chewed up and spit out by this game and express there outrage over and over again on these forums.  

It's not for everyone.  It's a hardcore, fullloot, open pvp, sandbox, and like all sandboxes on the market now it still has some bugs.   It's just not something themepark gamers are used to.  

...That must be it. Most of us just couldnt handle a "hardcore" sandbox. Has nothing to do with an inept company who cannot code, lies through their teeth, has sometimes double/triple billed folks, broken game, cannot code, bugs still there from Beta, cant code, invisible people still kill you, cant code .etc. etc..... Surley it has nothing to do with the broken game with no content.

We must be wow kiddies. None of us were UO fanatics or anything sold an idea that MO was the "spiritual succesor" to UO.

Hey, how many are still there from Block B? Theyt must have all been WOW kiddies as well since most have been long gone.

-Thanks for the insight. I guess I will go play WOW  since I am obviously not used to such "hardcore" PVP . =D

MORTAL ONLINE EXCUSE  #2,436,796: When blaming a Volcano or other natural Disaster will not work, you are strongly advised to blame the players for not being "Hardcore" 

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

People complain about MO because it is a terrible game, there is no other reason. Posting here counters the spin that pro-SV posters and employees post in an attempt to trick people into paying for a game that simply does not work.

It is also not beloved by it's playerbase as most of them are leaving, including long term supporters. People who have been playing far longer than you.

It's so hardcore the GM's teleport you round the world when you ask and spawn MOBs for you, and the players (including those who post here) defend this practice as "interaction".

There is nothing hardcore about MO except the level of masochism needed to play it.

(mod edit)

• pockets666pockets666 Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Picklebeast

...That must be it. Most of us just couldnt handle a "hardcore" sandbox. Has nothing to do with an inept company who cannot code, lies through their teeth, has sometimes double/triple billed folks, broken game, cannot code, bugs still there from Beta, cant code, invisible people still kill you, cant code .etc. etc..... Surley it has nothing to do with the broken game with no content.

We must be wow kiddies. None of us were UO fanatics or anything sold an idea that MO was the "spiritual succesor" to UO.

Hey, how many are still there from Block B? Theyt must have all been WOW kiddies as well since most have been long gone.

-Thanks for the insight. I guess I will go play WOW  since I am obviously not used to such "hardcore" PVP . =D

MORTAL ONLINE EXCUSE  #2,436,796: When blaming a Volcano or other natural Disaster will not work, you are strongly advised to blame the players for not being "Hardcore" 

Pickel didn't you know it is every reason in the universe why people harp on the game instead of the game being bad.

But for shitz and gigglez I will bite.   I only play pvp sandbox games.  I played UO, EQ1, SWG pre any of the crap (Oh I forgot Username said SWG wasn't a sandbox lulz), Shadowbane, EVE.

I went to MO because I wanted to full loot the shit out of people and steal their shit no other reason.  I quit because I do not like PVB (player vs Bugs)

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Ahhhh, the "you are too noob for hardcore PvP" desperation defense. Like so many others have already stated, the game is just bad. Bad execution, bad company, bad development... just plain bad. If you (and others) like it, more power to you. It takes all kinds and I hear there are some people that even enjoy self-flagellation.

However, don't belittle us by saying we can't handle the PvP, full-loot aspect of it cause, I'm from Texas bud and I know what BS smells like...

P.S. Yes, all (not just sandbox) games out there still have some bugs but to say MO has just SOME bugs is like saying the Atlantic Ocean has SOME water...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

I think the Atlantic Ocean & water vs Mortal & bugs comparison is very unjust.

There's much more water in the Pacific Ocean, just as there are more bugs in Mortal then there's water in the Atlantic. One could go as far to say that MO is one big bug.