Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RPG's with romance options

What are some solid rpgs with romance options. Use Dragon Age:Origins as your standard for depth of romance/gameplay.

Make it so...

Comments

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640

Bioware games in general and Witcher sorta.

• shaman00shaman00 Member Posts: 6

Well one romance rpg is Final Fantasy 8 but the story just speak of it. But there are no option or trigger to do those romance kind of stuff. I think a social rpg like sims has that trigger.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Cpt_Picard

What are some solid rpgs with romance options. Use Dragon Age:Origins as your standard for depth of romance/gameplay.

Dragon 1 and 2 and good. I think Mass Effect has some too. If you are up for anime let me know.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Does Silent Hill 2 count?

I'm damned sure there's a point where you catch Pyramid Head in the middle of some romance with a pair of manniquin legs, plus all that jilted goodness between James and Mary.

Otherwise, Natsume games like Harvest Moon and Rune Factory have it... but I wouldn't use the word "deep" around it.

One of the Star Oceans as well, the PS2 one.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• shaman00shaman00 Member Posts: 6

I think Heavy Rain is one or am I have mistaken it. But it has a certain romance scene as you go along with the game. Still thinking of other games that I have played with a romance trigger.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

romance?kind of vague?best i saw is forsaken world !you go on an epic journey to marry your better half!

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Do you mean romance where you can actively choose to pursue a romance (or not) with one of your companions, through dialogue, choices and/or quests?

Or one that's just hard written into the story, so no matter what your main character will have a romance with another regardless of any choice (Final Fantasy 8)?

If it's the former, there are not that many games out there, and most tend to be BioWare games. There's a few outside of that, such as Luminous Arc, but they are not that deep. Witcher as well, but again, not really that deep.

The latter is more prevalent, and many jRPGs tend to have that. Final Fantasies immediately come to mind (specifically, 7, 8, 9 and 10).

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Guys, he's talking about Bioware-style romance options, like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, not games that happen to have romance somewhere in the plot.

To the OP, nothing other than Dragon Age (which I assume you've played) and Mass Effect really come to mind.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Persona 3 and 4 for sure as well, I'd go straight for pt. 4 if you never played either.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Guys, he's talking about Bioware-style romance options, like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, not games that happen to have romance somewhere in the plot.

To the OP, nothing other than Dragon Age (which I assume you've played) and Mass Effect really come to mind.

All the BioWare games have them. From Neverwinter Nights (though there's no explicit scene or any of that), to KotOR, Jade Empire and Baldur's Gate.

But yeah, not that many outside of BioWare. Luminous Arc and Witcher are the ones that I know of, but they're not deep (LA being a DS game, even).

• blazin-aceblazin-ace Member Posts: 302

I'm not sure I'd call it a true RPG but it sure feels more like you are playing a role in a story than most other games.

You can take NPC women on dates to various locations in the city in Grand Theft Auto 4 and depending on how much fun they have your character can get lucky or dumped... There is some funny dialogue.  I mean, if you go to a comedy show in that game you can actually see the show on screen or really play pool together. They actually evaluate your appearance too based on clothing choices and the car you drive.

They have personalities. One will get insanely jealous if you are dating other women in the city and will taunt you with panty shots to your mobile phone. Another likes going to the strip club. One will blog about you on the inter game internet. One is a prude... They come with perks too, like free medical attention or get away from a police chase free.

The game romances are more fun than biowares typical stuff.  Crazy too but I mean... err...  well... lol.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

As others have already said, the Witcher 1 and 2 are the only other games that come to mind that have the same type of relationship building you find in most Bioware games.  For the most part, they're very well written, story-driven rpgs that require many significant decisions to be made by the player, both pertaining to the primary plot and to your relationships with other characters.  Although many games today claim they offer decisions that will significantly impact the game's outcome, The Witcher series, particularly the 2nd, really does feature significant decisions that completely alter the events you experience throughout the middle-end stages of the game.