Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlestar Galactica Online: Over 5 Million Registered Players Recorded

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

BigPoint has announced that Battlestar Galactica Online has surpassed the five million registered players mark. This number has been reached in a scant six months since the game's launch in February 2011.

The BGSO team attributes much of the game's growth to the fact that the player base is actively involved with the dev team in making the best choices for the game.

To celebrate the milestone achievement, BGSO players from both Colonial and Cylon players will soon have new Fleet Recon ships to utilize. Beginning later this month, players will be able to get hold of basic models of both ships using Cubits, the in-game currency that can either be purchased or earned through game play.

Find out more about Battlestar Galactica Online.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

5,000,000?

I don't believe it. I don't believe it's even had 5,000,000 hits on their website.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by precious328

5,000,000?

I don't believe it. I don't believe it's even had 5,000,000 hits on their website.

I'd say that's a maybe.  BSG was a great series, after all.  I'm curious about their retention rate though.  Who cares how many people registered -- what matters is how many have stayed put after the first couple of weeks.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Sadly, I registered.....

Played for 30 minutes, uninstalled.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Even if the number is accurate, it's pretty much a meaningless statistic. What would matter is how many of those they've convinced to spend any money on the game and how much they are purchasing.

To demonstrate how meaningless numbers like that are, lets do a little hypothetical math. If you have 5 million users and you only manage to convert 1 percent of them into a purchase....and the average purchase is only $1....and no one makes a repeat purchase. How much money have you just made?

5,000,000 x .01 = 50,000.

That's right....you entire companies GROSS income would be about the same as mid level office worker. Congrats.  After operating expenses, that would probably leave you running at a loss of at least a million per.

That's why numbers like that....while they sound great are completely meaningless for F2P services. What matters is how many regular CUSTOMERS you have.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

5 million registered......maybe 1000 playing (and I am being generous).

Let's party like it is 1863!

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Yeah, I registered as well. I messed around 1 hour and never looked back. It would be cool if they made a client based BG MMORGP though.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

Whats so bad about it?

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

Originally posted by Ackbar

Whats so bad about it?

Nothing bad, but nothing good either. There're lots of better games to play out there without spending a dime.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Even if the number is accurate, it's pretty much a meaningless statistic. What would matter is how many of those they've convinced to spend any money on the game and how much they are purchasing.

To demonstrate how meaningless numbers like that are, lets do a little hypothetical math. If you have 5 million users and you only manage to convert 1 percent of them into a purchase....and the average purchase is only $1....and no one makes a repeat purchase. How much money have you just made?

That's right....you entire companies GROSS income would be about the same as mid level office worker. Congrats.  After operating expenses, that would probably leave you running at a loss of at least a million per.

That's why numbers like that....while they sound great are completely meaningless for F2P services. What matters is how many regular CUSTOMERS you have.

Meaningless you say? The very existence of your post says otherwise. The numbers quoted and your post means there is an interest in not only the game but the new form of online gaming. You can flame and troll the company all you want, but in the end all your post does is help bump the thread for others to notice the interest in the IP. So I imagine overall the company would thank you for the short-sighted perspective.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Not really surprised considering the Battlestar Galactica TV series reboot is widely considered one of the best Scifi shows ever made. Everyone who liked the show, has a PC and games every now and then likely signed up to try it at some point.

• odinfishodinfish Member Posts: 40

Only a very small fraction of that amount still plays. Most of that 5 million consists of multiple accounts by users, those that have tried and died, and those that have purely quit. There is a constant turnover in BGO because, to put it simply, there just isn't enough content or balance to keep the game fun for an extended period. It's a good game and has great potential but, sadly, severely lacking. Sure, all these articles sound great but I've witnessed update after update that contain drastic changes that one would normally see during its Beta phase...on top of all that, each update usually ushers in a lot of new things that get broken in the process.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by nickster29

Sadly, I registered.....

LOL, I registered, never even got around to actually trying it, but at least I got on "the list"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by nickster29

Sadly, I registered.....

Same, and it was a while ago.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Played 20 min, uninstalled.

Originally posted by Czanrei

Meaningless you say? The very existence of your post says otherwise. The numbers quoted and your post means there is an interest in not only the game but the new form of online gaming. You can flame and troll the company all you want, but in the end all your post does is help bump the thread for others to notice the interest in the IP. So I imagine overall the company would thank you for the short-sighted perspective.

Just because he posted, is proof that he is interested in the game? Some people just make me go "wow!!!".

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Bleh these announcements are so skewed.. registered users is a meaningless number. If you take into account the people who had registered to just try it and then never played again, it's just a way to showboat factitious large numbers.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Translation: 5 million people have registered and tried the game for at least a few minutes!  There's also some players that...still play too!  Some of the time. 

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by Corehaven

Translation: 5 million people have registered and tried the game for at least a few minutes!  There's also some players that...still play too!  Some of the time. 

^QFT.

I mean please when the game launched it recomended I should go on a European server where the lag was insane, if thats a lot of peoples first impressions they would likely never come back. I rolled on a NA server and it was way better but the control scheme is terrible..... I seriously cant bring myself to play the game because I have to think about the controls far too much for what it is.

• DarVashielDarVashiel Member UncommonPosts: 80

I play and don't pay dime. and  Uninstall What, it's a web based game. lol it's a ok game. But I won't be palying all that much when SWTOR releases...

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

This people are awesome dude. They uninstalled web based game, now we know what kind of trolls are around here. I only wonder what make them so jealous, imagine only how they hate wow

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I played for about 2-3 hours. It's just like Eve, only not as in-depth, based off some great IP, and it's free to play, but pay to win. The second I learned anyone can fork up money and buy the best ship in the game, I stopped playing.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Czanrei

Or poeple registered just simply for the IP. So he is right these numbers are saying nothing. It does not matter if me posting these numbers are nothing that some registers, does not give the numbers any value. Releasing them is good as you get in the news again with is good marketing, but nothing can be learned from this numbers, beside that 5 million people at one point create a account.

In fact I would start to speculate. Why release this number? Is the amount of active users simply not impressive enough to be released? 

Originally posted by palulalula

This people are awesome dude. They uninstalled web based game, now we know what kind of trolls are around here. I only wonder what make them so jealous, imagine only how they hate wow

Before paying checks with your mouth be sure your ass can take it.

It has an uninstall, because it's only partly web-based.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

You multiplied 5,000,000 with 1 cent ($0.01). 5,000,000 times $1 (your stated average purchase,) is $5,000,000. Not too shabby at all.

Originally posted by Xondar123

You multiplied 5,000,000 with 1 cent ($0.01). 5,000,000 times $1 (your stated average purchase,) is $5,000,000. Not too shabby at all.

In a P2P, only about 5% or less of the player base actually spend money. Now, IF (and from the quality I have experienced in those minutes, I want to emphasise "IF") they would have 5000 active players, that would mean that about 250 (or less) of them pay.

And by the way, if you would manage to read what he said, instead of instantly trashing him, you would understand the math.

He said "5.000.000 accounts created, 1 percent of the players converted, an average of 1$/player"... try the math again.