Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Star Trek Online: F2P Model Coming in 2011

2»

Comments

  • SkillCosbySkillCosby Trenton, MIPosts: 684Member

    Crytpic

    $50.00 Game Purchase (at launch)

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

     

    And I still have to purchase races / items from the cash shops?

    I refuse to play Cryptic. They ask way too much for whay they offer. I'm getting tired of these nickel & diming schemes.

     

    Serious...  whatever happened to actually having to earn your in-game items?

    I don't even want to know how ruthless their "free" model is going to be. You probably have to pay for every step forward your character takes.

  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

    I would have been more interested in hearing about Torchlight 2 instead of the MMO. I'm not uninterested in the MMO, it's just that it's going to be a long while before it actually releases and TL2 is supposed to happen soon.

    Not sure what to think about Star Trek. I honestly would have been more interested if the IP was set during the original Star Trek or the recent movie reboot. The information they released about the Star Trek universe prior to releasing the game was far more interesting than the game itself. None of the political intrigue or factional warfare...and hardly any exploration. They really over sold it.

    I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

  • AlexTaldrenAlexTaldren Washington, DC, MDPosts: 21Member

    Originally posted by Corehaven



    Originally posted by AlexTaldren

    Are the doors and interiors still 10x too large?  Are the teleporter pads big enough for a car?  Cryptic failed at the most basic things... this game isn't worth your time even if it is F2P.

    Yes and yes.  The interiors are gigantic.  Hallways are large enough to hold a Nascar race down them.  Transporter pads could double as a boxing ring. 

     

    They did this due to camera issues or something. 

     

    Space combat is really fun although repetitive.  Ground combat has been improved or....supposedly it has been.  There's a first person shooting mechanic thats optional but I never used it.   For the most part, its the same old game as far as I could tell.  I played it about a month ago for a few weeks. 


     

    Yeah, I remember them throwing out the "camera issue" excuse as well.  I call it lazy game design. The space combat was okay... but let's remember that they simply copy/pasted what had been done by the Starfleet Command games.  They did nothing that hadn't been done before, but worse.

  • ironraptorironraptor NY, NYPosts: 36Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by AlexTaldren



    Yeah, I remember them throwing out the "camera issue" excuse as well.  I call it lazy game design. The space combat was okay... but let's remember that they simply copy/pasted what had been done by the Starfleet Command games.  They did nothing that hadn't been done before, but worse.


     

    It was a rush job and they didnt want to mess with the engine to fix the problem so they can get thier millions for relesing the game early. I mean seaiosly who would relese a entire game with doors and halways that large unless it was to contian some gaint creatures or some big props that needed it for the atmosphere of the area.

    Can't wait till they annouce all the restrictions f2p will have, that will determine if I give the game another go. Like all the other games that went f2p Ill wait till the dust clears of all the players who went to play for a month or two before they jump ship thats only if SWToR is a bust for me.

  • garrygarry Birmingham, ALPosts: 263Member

    Ummmm..been a player since Open Beta. Subscriber now but play very little lately. Do not honestly know what is the matter but I just rarely feel like playing any more. I like the space game altho a previous poster was correct, repetitive. Ground combat has a new 'target reticule' system but I don't care at all for an arcade system so it is still the same for me.

     

    Do not know what the F2P will look like and wonder what they have in store for us subscribing players. "Premium' model I guess.  Just have to wait and see. SWTOR, GW2 and TSW will be on my computer when they release but STO will stay if it goes F2P.

  • FaynthFaynth Neunkirchen-SeelscheidPosts: 237Member

    Originally posted by Valefan

    F2P-model is fine as long as they don't do it the Age of Conan-way which is so restriced to players it's actually nothing less than a trial.

    Uho how is hundrets of hours content and quests, lvl 80  and all a trial ?

    begging much ?

  • FaynthFaynth Neunkirchen-SeelscheidPosts: 237Member

    Originally posted by precious328

    Crytpic

    [...]

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

     [...]

    McDonalds

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    [...]

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

     

    Interesting way to look at a continuous service delivered to you.

  • SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Towson, MDPosts: 277Member

    Originally posted by Corehaven

    Originally posted by Paradigm68

    There is something seriously wrong with the MMO industry that couldn't produce a blockbuster thriving dynamic deep immersive MMO out of the Star Trek IP.

    But.....it was Cryptic + Atari.   I'll say that again.  Cryptic + Atari. 

     

    There's your "seriously wrong" right there.  Im surprised it was actually as good as it was.   I mean, it was like a blind man trying to paint the Mona Lisa.   Or a fisherman trying to catch a salmon with a potatoe. 

     

    I know the industry as a whole has its problems but lets not go that far. 

     

    Besides there's some good things to be had with this game.  I still think its probably the best Star Trek game ever made.  Its just not much of an mmorpg. 

     

    character customization was the best part of this MMO, after that it's a train wreck

  • weaponsmith2weaponsmith2 sacramento, CAPosts: 22Member

    Originally posted by precious328

    Crytpic

    $50.00 Game Purchase (at launch)

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

    $14.99 per month

     

    And I still have to purchase races / items from the cash shops?

    I refuse to play Cryptic. They ask way too much for whay they offer. I'm getting tired of these nickel & diming schemes.

     

    Serious...  whatever happened to actually having to earn your in-game items?

    I don't even want to know how ruthless their "free" model is going to be. You probably have to pay for every step forward your character takes.

     

    ========================================================================================

    That is pretty crazy, i never knew about that. They took a subscription game, and put in a cash shop? That is pretty greedy move on them. Honestly, that makes me, not even want to try their f2p model, if their  pay 2 play model was that bad, imange how they are going to try to scheme money out of people with a f2p model. I didn't see World of warcraft charging people for vanity in game, while charging us a monthy fee. Greedy company for shore 

    50 bucks for the game, plus 14.99 a month, and i have to spend extra for extras in the game?Thats ludicrous! Thanks for the warning. 

     

  • illutianillutian There, OHPosts: 217Member Uncommon

    I hope we (Lifers) get Points; much like how Turbine did it....

    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall." - Confucius

  • abydosonlineabydosonline CorkPosts: 35Member

    Fixing a broken/boring game by going free to play will probably not work.

    A shitty game is still a shitty game, whenver it's free or not.

  • EDMorganEDMorgan Manchester, NHPosts: 5Member

    I'm not one to ussually post a comment, but I felt I needed to on this one. I've been playing a wide variety of games for a long time and as we all know sometimes the cost of just getting a game can be outragous. I for one was in beta testing for this game and when it went live I had pre-ordered making sure I got the item I wanted which in my case I wanted the U.S.S. Enterprise, and then for a solid year I paid the monthly sub., but eventually as much as I liked the game I had to stop playing because I couldn't afford to pay for it anymore. Now I never knew when, but I did fell that eventually they would change it to f2p so I never deleted it from my system, so all I really hope for is that I get to keep everything I do have, and the play at least is as good as I felt it was when I was paying for it. I for one will play it again from time to time when I do have the time and if they have items in the shop that I fell I can afford occationally then I will get something, otherwise I'll just be glad that a game that I paid for is available for me to play again.

    EDMorgan
    "If it looks interesting enough for me to try it, I will. If I really like it I'll p2p when it's time."

  • EDMorganEDMorgan Manchester, NHPosts: 5Member

    *EDIT* - Those to places where it says "fell", should have said "feel", they really need an edit option on this.

    EDMorgan
    "If it looks interesting enough for me to try it, I will. If I really like it I'll p2p when it's time."

  • TeiloTeilo LiverpoolPosts: 284Member

    Originally posted by Dyner

    I hope we (Lifers) get Points; much like how Turbine did it....

    Much like Cryptic does it: Champions Online Lifers get points.

  • MajDogMeatMajDogMeat Atlanta, GAPosts: 17Member Uncommon

    Sad, this is the second sigh a game is dead.

    First is server merges and loss of paying players.

    Then the F2P version.

    Game is dead......to sad.

    Let the hackers roll on in .. You know they will.

    Show me any F2P game that is not filled with hackers....

    Any problem can be solved, with the Proper Amount of High Explosives.....
    Don’t take life serious, you’ll never get out alive…..

  • WinterR0seWinterR0se Raleigh, NCPosts: 1Member

    However, they did take what were basic parts of the game when it was pay to play (that I paid for in the first place when I bought the client) and turn them into things I had to pay for again.  Whole swathes of costuming and power sets were suddenly things I had to add to the f2p model.  If all the sudden half the uniforms or racial attributes or basic ship classes became something I'd have to pay for again simply to play the characters I already had?  No thank you forever.  I'll give it a look when it happens, but I don't really expect to stay.

  • brenthbrenth rock island, WAPosts: 288Member

    STO  for me has moved up to top spot  as EPIC FAIL  even higher than  age of conan, champions and even star wars galaxies.

    instead of making a deep immersive and quality product  fans and MMO players had expected all we got was this money whore of a bastard,  shallow hull of a joke. This at one point was a "must play" to warn others away.

    it amazes me that these game makers  fail to learn and adapt to players.

    I am not currently playing any MMOs  simply because there isnt a game that interests me  there either shallor crap or hack and slash.

    Im looking for a suto-realistic alternate reality  guess ill have longer to wait.

    make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

  • brenthbrenth rock island, WAPosts: 288Member

    a good hint for me that STO was going to be crappy  was when I went to SOL system and all there was, was a tiny little box shaped space zone. and  NO SOLAR SYSTEM!!!   you couldnt visit  star fleet acadamy??? WTH!??      the moon was just a 3d object,  no mars, no jupiter,  no titans turn.  

    MAJOR SUCKAGE.

    make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

  • tpringtpring Houston, TXPosts: 3Member

    Originally posted by Jesterftk



    Originally posted by Valefan

    F2P-model is fine as long as they don't do it the Age of Conan-way which is so restriced to players it's actually nothing less than a trial.

    Uho how is hundrets of hours content and quests, lvl 80  and all a trial ?

    begging much ?


     

    You can play three of the class's thats it, equals restircivtive, At 80 if you try to do pvp you might as well try playing a lvl 1 toon since your character has no access to the AA tree. No access to the expansion zones

    Thus not a F2P game a bonus trial, is what it is, at least with the trial you could have played all the classes what to play a HoX got to spend money sorry we're FUNCOM and make crap games

  • Effin_RabbitEffin_Rabbit Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 773Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by WinterR0se

    However, they did take what were basic parts of the game when it was pay to play (that I paid for in the first place when I bought the client) and turn them into things I had to pay for again.  Whole swathes of costuming and power sets were suddenly things I had to add to the f2p model.  If all the sudden half the uniforms or racial attributes or basic ship classes became something I'd have to pay for again simply to play the characters I already had?  No thank you forever.  I'll give it a look when it happens, but I don't really expect to stay.

     Ive actually been watching this news and I listened to an interview with Dan Stahl and he said that anything a player had purchased or obtained before the f2p conversion on an account wouldnt be stripped of them. We'll jst have to see if what he says stays true.

     

    http://computered.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/daniel-stahl-sto-goes-f2p-cryptic-and-perfect-world-and-more/

  • GozerTCGozerTC Barstow, CAPosts: 119Member

    All I have to say is:  ABOUT DAMN TIME! 

    Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
    Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
    Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
    Tried: Too many to list

  • b003b003 detroit, MIPosts: 51Member Uncommon

    Too late, I'll wait for Star Trek infinite Space.

  • raistlinmraistlinm new orleans, LAPosts: 673Member

    Originally posted by Paradigm68

    Originally posted by Corehaven

    Originally posted by Paradigm68

    There is something seriously wrong with the MMO industry that couldn't produce a blockbuster thriving dynamic deep immersive MMO out of the Star Trek IP.

    But.....it was Cryptic + Atari.   I'll say that again.  Cryptic + Atari. 

     There's your "seriously wrong" right there.  Im surprised it was actually as good as it was.   I mean, it was like a blind man trying to paint the Mona Lisa.   Or a fisherman trying to catch a salmon with a potatoe. 

     I know the industry as a whole has its problems but lets not go that far. 

     Besides there's some good things to be had with this game.  I still think its probably the best Star Trek game ever made.  Its just not much of an mmorpg. 

    Even so, that an IP with as much promise as Star Trek was given to a team that cared to do so little with it says something about the industry.

     Nah that says more about the holder of the ip than it says about the industry, which has always been the case when it comes to Star Trek some of the movies have been well recieved, others not so much same thing with the tv shows and even more so with the few Star Trek games that have ever made it to release Paramount,CBS, or whoever holds this license has much different motivations for the ip than the fans do.

    Just consider the pitch that Cryptic used to get the ST license "we can make mmo's for half the price in half the time that mmo's are normally made in".

    At that point they could have rather easily picked up a Cryptic game and seen that while their statement is true it is only because they have half the content of all other mmo's out there and said "nah we want someone who can do the ip some justice" but they didn't that's on them can't blame the industry for that.

  • raistlinmraistlinm new orleans, LAPosts: 673Member

    Originally posted by brenth

    a good hint for me that STO was going to be crappy  was when I went to SOL system and all there was, was a tiny little box shaped space zone. and  NO SOLAR SYSTEM!!!   you couldnt visit  star fleet acadamy??? WTH!??      the moon was just a 3d object,  no mars, no jupiter,  no titans turn.  

    MAJOR SUCKAGE.

     This was one of the things I used to lol about in STO too and what made it even funnier was when I finally played Mass Effect 2 at the playstation 3 release and they actually have the entire solar system in that game even though it isn't central to the story at that time.....

  • HodoHodo Raeford, NCPosts: 542Member

    Originally posted by Jesterftk



    Originally posted by precious328

    Crytpic

    [...]

    $14.99 per month



    $14.99 per month



    $14.99 per month



    $14.99 per month



    $14.99 per month



    $14.99 per month



    $14.99 per month



     [...]

    McDonalds

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    [...]

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

    $12.99 per meal

     

    Interesting way to look at a continuous service delivered to you.


     

    I want to know what you get at McDonalds?  I am  a firm believer in the dollar menu.  I can eat there for 3-5 bucks a meal.  

     

    My only comment on this whole thing is...

     

    LOL POOR LIFE TIME SUBSCRIBERS, SHAFTED AGAIN!!!!!!

    So much crap, so little quality.

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.