Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five MMOs Worth a Second Look

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In The List this week, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy takes a look at five games that really deserve more attention from MMO fans. The list is both nostalgic and perhaps just a bit controversial. See if you agree with Bill's choices of MMOs that deserve our attention, then leave us a couple thoughts in the comments.

This is by no means a definitive list of games worth playing, but rather a guideline for what the MMORPG.com staff thinks are titles that deserve a second look after a long haul towards self-improvement.  Don’t get all hate-filled if we don’t list your game here… it’s not personal.  Take a look at the games we think deserve a second look and see if you agree!

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: Five MMOs Worth a Second Look.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Good list.  I agree with eveything on here and I've actually tried many of them in the past couple of months. 

While AoC and Champions aren't my cup of tea they aren't too bad in their current state. 

I'm really enjoying Vanguard quite a bit and rarely encounter a bug.  And those I haven't tried (Darkfall and FE) I plan on trying out soon.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I disagree witht he list. A MMO, mostly because they're time consuming and require money to keep playing, only has one shot to grab you. I've played all of those games and had good reasons for leaving them. I don't like the current way MMO's are giving out quests, so most of the games on that list suck in that regard; I don't like the Post Apocolyptic setting, so Fallen Earth is off the table; but I'd dare say Darkfall is different.

I didn't like Darkfall the first go around, but because there's not really any other competitors for Darkfall, it has a shot of getting a second look from me once Darkfall 2.0 releases.

So long story short, if your game isn't totally unique, then you have 1 shot to get my subscription, because there are always newer games on the up and coming I will wait for and play if all you're going to do is copy the worst feature in MMORPG's (quest grinding). I just abhor redoing quests that much! I would rather not play the game again than have to regrind out the same quests.

• HoekzemaHoekzema Member Posts: 14

Yesterday I downloaded Age of Conan, Today I removed it again and ran away screaming. why?

the whole free to play thing is just a huge hoax. There are so many restrictions that playing free just isn't possible. I mean a 2 gold maximum??!!

• Originally posted by Hoekzema

Yesterday I downloaded Age of Conan, Today I removed it again and ran away screaming. why?

the whole free to play thing is just a huge hoax. There are so many restrictions that playing free just isn't possible. I mean a 2 gold maximum??!!

The two gold limit doesn;t effect free players at all. Hell, you wont even get two gold until you are well past level 60 (and really by then if you enjoy the game that much I would definitely consider going freemium). Only a bitter veteran would really have an issue with the gold limit. In fact the gold limit is a great thing as it helps prevent gold spammers from using free accounts to harrass us as much :p

AoC has way more free content than say LOTRO as an example, you really won't notice the restrictions until you invest serious time in the game. If you were genuinely a new player and only tried it at the weekend and felt effected by any of the free player restrictions there is no way you actually gave it a fair chance 

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by nate1980

I disagree witht he list. A MMO, mostly because they're time consuming and require money to keep playing, only has one shot to grab you. I've played all of those games and had good reasons for leaving them. I don't like the current way MMO's are giving out quests, so most of the games on that list suck in that regard; I don't like the Post Apocolyptic setting, so Fallen Earth is off the table; but I'd dare say Darkfall is different.

I didn't like Darkfall the first go around, but because there's not really any other competitors for Darkfall, it has a shot of getting a second look from me once Darkfall 2.0 releases.

So long story short, if your game isn't totally unique, then you have 1 shot to get my subscription, because there are always newer games on the up and coming I will wait for and play if all you're going to do is copy the worst feature in MMORPG's (quest grinding). I just abhor redoing quests that much! I would rather not play the game again than have to regrind out the same quests.

I sort of agree, at least for your "One shot". The stuff about certain games sucking cause you don't like them I find amusing. But I liked Vanguard when it came out, but the late-game issues really killed it for me. Even after I hear about everything that has been fixed I feel like I can't go back and that ship has sailed (built and sailed). Darkfall is interesting with their 2.0 release cause its a relaunch, although if there is no character wipes then they might not see any new players and will lose old players due to change... 

But in the past not many games have failed and were given a second chance, typically they fail and disappear. But recently we have seen lots of re-launches or planned re-launches of games and we will see how they do. Darkfall 2.0, FFXIV and APB are just a few off the top of my head. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

I agree with that list but would also add Star Trek Online to it also. I played FE and Conan and enjoyed those games. Was a raid leader In AOC for a time. While I havent tried the others I wouldnt mind giving them a shot except Darkfall.

***Raises Plunger in salute SBford for good article.***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

But as our re-review coming this month will attest to, the Saga of Heroes has come a long way in recent months and deserves much more attention than its getting.

Yes.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Originally posted by Hoekzema

To each their own. I started to play again shortly after becoming free to play, after bugs, incomplete content the quickly diminishing population drove me away at release, and having a blast so far.

I'm playing two chars (a guardian and barbarian, levels 5 and 44 respectively), taking my time leveling and having lots of fun and haven't paid a dime so far. Of course the restrictions can be annoying, like the limited bank space (though you can make another char on a different account, create a guild of one and use the guild bank *wink wink*) or getting quests and realizing they're for a premiun dungeon, but not that much, IMHO.

Of course, it depends on your mind set. If you go into a MMO with the idea to reach level cap as quickly as possible, getting the best gear for your class and raid the big baddies... well, of course F2P isn't for you, you'd have to either subscribe or go to a different game. Personally so far I've gotten more than a month's worth of fun and I'm about halfway with my first character and a couple others to play if I feel like it, without paying a dime... works for me. When I reach the level cap I'll see if I go premium or just to a different game, but I don't see it as "all that work for nothing" if I do, instead I see it as "it was really fun, let's see what else to do now".

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, I've played 3/5 titles here, AOC, FE and VG and have to say though I've been tempted to go back to each, in the end they are still quest oriented, standard theme park MMO's at their core and don't bring enough to the table (even for free) to go back to.

DF is a bit too hardcore for my tastes, and I'm not into wearing tights so CO won't likely happen.

I really am a one shot sort of person, so much so that I'm starting to believe that I should hold off trying new titles for at least 6 months after launch, when it seems like a lot of titles really start to come together well and are showing their best face more.

EVE, DAOC were the two games I've played the longest (3.5 yrs and 2.75 yrs respective) and in both cases I started them well after launch.  (WOW being an 18 month experience from launch)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• thefinnthefinn Member Posts: 46

Darkfall?!? Are you crazy?? Even the most hardcore fanboys now are pissed at Aventurine's game.

This is what I mean about mmorpg, they are always hyping crap. Why not give us a real critical review of games instead of just selling out for access to developers who know you'll give them a nice review at the end - no matter how bad their game is ?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

AoC is worth a second look.  I gave it a try after going F2P.  The bag space limit and boring questing did me in though.  I just stopped wanting to log in somewhere around level 31 I believe.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I also started playing AoC after it went f2p. It's a great game now. It's biggest problem was the lack of population. Now that it is f2p, there are a lot more people playing it. I also haven't spent a penny on it.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd say #6 would be RIFT.

Granted, they are doing pretty good with their numbers so (unlike these games) didn't really "flop" as they say.

However, after playing in Beta and at launch I shelved it after about a month.

Recently coming back, I'm enjoying the game a whole lot more. I can't really put a finger on what has changed, but I think in general the game has just matured... if Trion has and is doing one thing well it's updating this game and adding to it.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Vanguard deserves new players, and for those calling it themepark, it really isnt aside from the quest giving,its crafting system alone slays most sandbox games, and don't get me started on the diplomacy system. Heh, mmo players make me laugh, they won't support this good game but then cry when more games like wow get made.

You got another fantastic game like Ryzom out there, which is pretty much free and most of the sandbox preachers are even on that one either.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

DF might become interesting. Is there any info released on 2.0 graphics/features?

• klokwurkklokwurk Member UncommonPosts: 35

I did recently go back and give Vanguard another try and am loving it. I also was tempted to go back and try AoC again but time limits these days mean I only really have time for one game. I think the 'only one shot' mentality common in MMO gamers is a terrible one, at least in something like an MMO which can clearly improve. I had been trying so many new MMOs for a while and now having decided to stick it out in an older one I don't have to keep jumping from new one to newer one only to find it doesn't have what I want. 

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by DarkPony

DF might become interesting. Is there any info released on 2.0 graphics/features?

I'd check out DF if they figured out the most important thing they could do to "save" their game -

Trammel/Felucca split.

FFA PvP full loot is fine and fun and dandy, but not 24/7 for most people.

Gimme Ultima Online post-Trammel split circa Factions PvP system - I'd be in.

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Maquiame

Vanguard deserves new players, and for those calling it themepark, it really isnt aside from the quest giving,its crafting system alone slays most sandbox games, and don't get me started on the diplomacy system. Heh, mmo players make me laugh, they won't support this good game but then cry when more games like wow get made.

You got another fantastic game like Ryzom out there, which is pretty much free and most of the sandbox preachers are even on that one either.

This guy has it right. if you want a game where you don't have to get to max lvl before you can have fun and do dungeons and cool questlines, then vg is for you. crafting and diplo alone are better then other full games.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Sorry, I couldn't buy into any of the 5 listed here.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by Hoekzema

I went back and found this too. However, If when you left you had more than the 2 gold it is kept in a depository for you when you go to premium. Your gold is not lost. I thought it was until I asked AoC support which was very quick at responding. I understand why a 2 gold cap of F2P to cut down on farming. Smart move really.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

Originally posted by thefinn

(mod edit)

Spot on

This is right off the DF main froum. The player base is well pissed off!! Checl other threads as well. And Im a vet from day one that still plays right now. Stay away from DF till we get some updates. Servers are dead!!!! Makes me sad :(

http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=297834

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Only thing Vanguard is lacking is people playing. If filthy $oE would do something about that...

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

The article says that vanguard is a return to the old school style, and yet when you play the trial they start throwing epic gear and weapons that make you ridiculously strong in the beginning

whatever the games intentions may have been, SOE prevented that

• lmollealmollea Member UncommonPosts: 40

Vanguard: it's been on my trial list from a long time. I had not the time to install and try it especially because I don't have enough time to play and then pay for a subscription. A sub is currently not feasible due to my time restriction. Wish it would switch to f2p as Everquest II...

Champions Online: tried it again with the f2p. Same old story, doesn't have things that hook me up to the game.

Fallen Earth: will surely try it when the F2P comes out.

Age Of Conan: same as CO. Tried also the Blood And Glory server, but I can't stand to start again the same quests that I remember from the old days when it was released...

Darkfall: I'm not for that kind of games. I don't have anything against those who love that kind of game. Simply it isn't a game that suits my tastes.

Given the incoming f2p conversions, I'd put on the list also STO (and maybe also City Of Heroes, but I'm biased there)

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

AoC is great.

I was on the fence about it for the longest time, then finally ended up grabbing a sub... having a blast so far.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.